SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 4,619
    SaintMark wrote: »
    What I wonder about is: What would happen if Daniel Craig would be unavailable for Bond 24 through matters outside of his own choice?- Does EON already have a new actor in mind?- And how much is the influence of Mendes in such a situation?

What would happen if a video of Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Tom Cruise having a threesome leaked this weekend? What would happen if Barack Obama resigned tomorrow? What would happen if Queen Elizabeth II decided to run a marathon completely naked in central London tonight?
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    What I wonder about is: What would happen if Daniel Craig would be unavailable for Bond 24 through matters outside of his own choice?- Does EON already have a new actor in mind?- And how much is the influence of Mendes in such a situation?

What would happen if a video of Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Tom Cruise having a threesome leaked this weekend? What would happen if Barack Obama resigned tomorrow? What would happen if Queen Elizabeth II decided to run a marathon completely naked in central London tonight?

That's my Saturday evening sorted then. :D :-bd
    Director Sam Mendes will gather his Bond 24 cast, led by Daniel Craig, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris and Ben Whishaw, in late November for a read-through of the script, with principal filming set to begin on December 6.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2752747/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Eddie-Redmayne-s-flurry-white-winter-wonderland-wedding-complete-fake-snow.html

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Finally. I can breathe again. Let's kick off the whole shabang!!

Great news.

And in an interview with Sam Mendes about King Lear, he said he was the first director to do reading of Bond movies.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    What would happen if ...
    a lifelong female Bond fan living in Japan flew to the Bond 24 premiere in London and Daniel Craig looked her in the eyes and spoke to her?

Answer: After fainting, with a big smile on her face, she would then keep reminding @Germanlady of it for the rest of her life. (However, GL is already one up, having had her photo taken with Mr. Craig and spoken to him!)

I seriously can hardly wait for the press conference.
    What would happen if ...
    a lifelong female Bond fan living in Japan flew to the Bond 24 premiere in London and Daniel Craig looked her in the eyes and spoke to her?

Answer: After fainting, with a big smile on her face, she would then keep reminding @Germanlady of it for the rest of her life. (However, GL is already one up, having had her photo taken with Mr. Craig and spoken to him!)

It seems, some here do indeed need news, as minds go into la la land :o3
    That was me just being curious with a large production like Bond24 if they have back ups or would they postpone the production for some time, taking a loss on activities already employed.
    Bring on the first clapperboard tweet!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    And he was born in friggin' 1988!!! How is that possible?? I thought he was in his late 30 early 40 at the extreme least. He's just a kid, which is so weird and bizarre.

Addendum to my earlier comment: I would have never, ever thought I'd say a young man like him would make an excellent casting choice for a henchman in a Bond movie!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    SaintMark wrote: »
    That was me just being curious with a large production like Bond24 if they have back ups or would they postpone the production for some time, taking a loss on activities already employed.

I agree there should start film earlier. But there can stil delay movie release date for 6-7 weaks for December 2015 release.
  • SaintMark wrote: »

Is this such a heretic question? I mean everyone who is in a multimillion even billion dollar business should have a plan for such catastrophic events. Sure with Broccolis/Wilsons track record of production delays and faulty to non-existent scripts this sounds quite possible,but still a question like this might be asked.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 5,745
    It feels like it's been a month since we've had anything. Now it's cast and crew rumors up to the press conference. Also, the Baz article doesn't seem to take me to anything Bond related.. taking everybody's word for it here.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Is this such a heretic question? I mean everyone who is in a multimillion even billion dollar business should have a plan for such catastrophic events. Sure with Broccolis/Wilsons track record of production delays and faulty to non-existent scripts this sounds quite possible,but still a question like this might be asked.

No, it wasn't a heretic question. It was a stupid one. Why would anyone think they have a backup actor to replace Craig if something happened? It's absurd. When was the last time a main actor of a big budget movie had to be replaced in the very last minute or during production?
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Also, the Baz article doesn't seem to take me to anything Bond related.. taking everybody's word for it here.

The Bond related stuff is at the very end of the article.
  • Matt_Helm wrote: »

No, it wasn't a heretic question. It was a stupid one. Why would anyone think they have a backup actor to replace Craig if something happened? It's absurd. When was the last time a main actor of a big budget movie had to be replaced in the very last minute or during production?

So it is a stupid question to ask, if someone is prepared for every eventuality?
    If I ever should have to go to war I sincerely hope our opponents are led by guys that mirror your way of thinking.
    BTW, sometimes something on a catastrophically level happens to a main actor of movies ( after all they are only human). For example in 2008 one of two leading man in a movie died of drug abuse. Luckily it was a little known low key affair called "The Dark Knight" so nobody ever cared about it.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,015
    So it is a stupid question to ask, if someone is prepared for every eventuality?
    Insurances exist for the weirdest things. Including film production.
    And sometimes the story of "The Producers" can happen in real life, in particular when tax cuts and state sponsored backings are in the loop :)
    When was the last time a main actor of a big budget movie had to be replaced in the very last minute or during production?
    Daniel Craig in The Whole Truth ? :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    No stupid questions... maybe uninformed ...now the know it all answers suck and the blind LTK is even more annoying but umm no stupid questions.
    For example in 2008 one of two leading man in a movie died of drug abuse. Luckily it was a little known low key affair called "The Dark Knight" so nobody ever cared about it.
    As far as I know, he died well after production finished, so your post is irrelevant.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2014 Posts: 9,117
    Germanlady wrote: »
    For example in 2008 one of two leading man in a movie died of drug abuse. Luckily it was a little known low key affair called "The Dark Knight" so nobody ever cared about it.
    As far as I know, he died well after production finished, so your post is irrelevant.

Quite.

DC is contracted to do the next two Bond films and unless he drops dead (or Bond 24 flops horrifically which isn't going to happen) that won't change.
    I dare say the way the Joker was left hanging (no pun intended) Nolan intended Ledger to return in TDKR. When that proved to be impossible he presumably came up with a new story. However the idea that film companies actually have a bank vault full of different scripts to tailor for every contingency in case such and such an actor dies or a plane crashes into the studio and demolishes all your sets or your director is arrested by operation Yewtree is as ludicrous as it is inane. There's a concept called insurance that you may have heard of that saves you having to plan for every worst case scenario your imagination can come up with.

Pretty sure for The Crow and Gladiator when the actors died half way through they just muddled through with body doubles, cutting their scenes and CGI. The notion that they had already planned for this is moronic frankly.
    RC7 wrote: »
    December 6th. I hope this is true, as it's the day I get married. Would be very apt for me to be able to include this in my speech.
    6th of December on Saturday that good I hope it confiremed
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Germanlady wrote: »

Quite.

DC is contracted to do the next two Bond films and unless he drops dead (or Bond 24 flops horrifically which isn't going to happen) that won't change.
    I dare say the way the Joker was left hanging (no pun intended) Nolan intended Ledger to return in TDKR. When that proved to be impossible he presumably came up with a new story. However the idea that film companies actually have a bank vault full of different scripts to tailor for every contingency in case such and such an actor dies or a plane crashes into the studio and demolishes all your sets or your director is arrested by operation Yewtree is as ludicrous as it is inane. There's a concept called insurance that you may have heard of that saves you having to plan for every worst case scenario your imagination can come up with.

Pretty sure for The Crow and Gladiator when the actors died half way through they just muddled through with body doubles, cutting their scenes and CGI. The notion that they had already planned for this is moronic frankly.

precisely and that's exactly what they've done for fast and the furious 7 which saw the death of Paul Walker haul filming for a few months, had the script tweaked and then used 2 of his real life brothers and cgi to create the illusion of Paul 's character for what he had left to film.

• Germanlady wrote: »

Quite.

This.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    There again I'm sure I read an interview with Terry Gilliam where he said he had the contingency plan to replace Ledger with Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farell from the start.

Yeah - here it is from Empire online:

Empire: The death of Heath Ledger midway through production must have been a director's nightmare?

Gilliam: Well obviously we were all devastated as Heath was a lovely chap but in terms of delaying production the effect was minimal. I'm going to let you into a little industry secret here: all big studio productions have what's called a 'Kinnear strategy' in place to counter the risk of actors dying in the middle of production.

Empire: Kinnear strategy?

Gilliam: Yes, named after Roy Kinnear who had a heart attack on a horse during filming.

Empire: I see.

Gilliam: How it works is you cast a whole host of back up actors who are kept in a hermetically sealed bunker underground to avoid them getting any illnesses or running the risk of accident. If the worst happens and an actor drops dead then you just call this place up and they scramble your actors and airlift them straight to the set.

Empire: Well I never knew that!

Gilliam: it's quite a closely guarded secret - I'll probably get told off for telling you! It's the reason actors always say they are out of work - that's a total myth! Most actors spend about 95% of their working life locked underground doing 'Kinnear cover' as it's known in the trade. It sounds extreme but can you imagine the chaos if we didn't do it?

Empire: But on Parnassus you ended up with three different actors taking over from Ledger?

Gilliam: Well that was pure luck. How it works is if you are a member of the Screen Actors Guild you get a letter through the post instructing you to attend a certain production for Kinnear Cover. A bit like when you get summoned for jury service. I was extremely fortunate that I got Johnny, Jude and Colin out of the hat. Ridley Scott once told me that on Gladiator the replacement for Oliver Reed that they had lined up was John Inman. They tried a few scenes but it really wasn't working so Ridley thanked John, paid him off and had to come up with another way to get round the problem that you see in the finished film. And I know for a fact that Marty Scorcese was shitting it during Goodfellas because the producer told him that the 3 people they had as cover for Liotta, Pesci and De Niro were Hugh Grant and the Chuckle Brothers!

Empire: But how did you end up with three actors replacing one?

Gilliam: Well that was because we had a very cautious producer who had paid for platinum cover. Which means we had cover for the cover in case they died and so on. But I just thought we've been very lucky with the draw to get three such good actors why not use them all? Of course it was a risk because if one of them had dropped dead we'd have been left up slack alley as the next person in line was Brian Murphy from George and Mildred. But it all worked out in the end.

• "Kinnear Strategy". Love it, @Wiz :))
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The cover of the cover. :)) :)) =)) =))
    I do the same with goldfish... they don't last long either :/
    When was the last time a main actor of a big budget movie had to be replaced in the very last minute or during production?

...and did they have a backup actor that could replace him immediately? Of course not!

So I mixed up TDK and Cabinet. This doesn't denigrate the reality factor of my statement in the slightest.

Quite.

There's a concept called insurance that you may have heard of that saves you having to plan for every worst case scenario your imagination can come up with.

Sarcasm doesn't spare you from reading posts carefully. Neither Saint Mark nor me ever mentioned Craig. Still I think it's not a too stupid idea to have a plan B (make this B to Y) just in case something happened to someone. Actually I would expect something like this from professionals. For example, if the actress that is hired to play Bonds main love interest in that movie happens to break her legs a few days before filming starts,wouldn't it be reasonable to expect Eon to have a few extra hot actresses up their sleeves so production doesn't have to come to a complete halt? Sure, this wouldn't work for the leading man in the middle of the production ( at least not in a movie that plays more than 50% in Daylight ), bit I think it would be quite naive of them if they didn't even contemplate the possibility of,for example Craig too rapid ageing for another two movies,and therefore the need for a new 007.
  • When was the last time a main actor of a big budget movie had to be replaced in the very last minute or during production?

...and did they have a backup actor that could replace him immediately? Of course not!

Of course?
    The history of movie preproduction is full of "if not this guy then another" stories.
    Movies don't do understudies... period.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,396
    "Matt_Helm wrote:
    Sarcasm doesn't spare you from reading posts carefully. Neither Saint Mark nor me ever mentioned Craig.

Talking of reading posts carefully...
    "SaintMark wrote:
    What would happen if Daniel Craig would be unavailable for Bond 24 through matters outside of his own choice?

Just the two glaring errors from you today.