SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Press conference will be a few days before production begins, so late November or very early December.

If the title is leaked around the same time as last time, that will be in early November.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2014 Posts: 432
    I remember that DC said in the last conference that they would start filming the same day, or am I wrong?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Every time a new film is in the works everyone starts demanding news. Well, Eon know better than anyone how to drip feed information to keep interest up, so they will never give much away 3 months before filming even starts.
  • I do find it slightly unusual how little news there is at this point. Especially considering the start date was originally set for October.

If you look at both the production histories of CR and QOS the current pattern Bond 24 is following is very common. Both those films cast their leads very late in the day, in the case of CR two weeks of filming had already commenced before Eva Green or Mads Mikkelsen signed on. SF was very different though, we had a lot of casting news up to a year before production even commenced. I put this down to the 'Sam Mendes factor'; having an A-list director meant talent was easier to secure plus Mendes wanted top roister players so he targeted his selected few early. By this point last time we knew about Bardem, Fiennes, Harris and Whishaw.

Considering Bond 24 has not followed the same trajectory as it's predecessor just yet I can only hope that a lot of talk has been happening behind the scenes that has not leaked out. My only hope is that from here on things get a bit more noisy around Bond 24.
  • I do find it slightly unusual how little news there is at this point. Especially considering the start date was originally set for October.

If you look at both the production histories of CR and QOS the current pattern Bond 24 is following is very common. Both those films cast their leads very late in the day, in the case of CR two weeks of filming had already commenced before Eva Green or Mads Mikkelsen signed on. SF was very different though, we had a lot of casting news up to a year before production even commenced. I put this down to the 'Sam Mendes factor'; having an A-list director meant talent was easier to secure plus Mendes wanted top roister players so he targeted his selected few early. By this point last time we knew about Bardem, Fiennes, Harris and Whishaw.

Considering Bond 24 has not followed the same trajectory as it's predecessor just yet I can only hope that a lot of talk has been happening behind the scenes that has not leaked out. My only hope is that from here on things get a bit more noisy around Bond 24.

I completely agree with you. But let's not forget, there were script revisions taking place for Bond 24. And perhaps they are still taking place.

Allthough, I am not sure why this needs to cause delays. Remember, Peter Morgan wrote the first draft ideas for Bond 24 and they were basically used by Logan, Purvis & Wade.

Still, Logan bowing out comes much later.

I think that Bond 23, Skyfall, had like four years of production time instead of Bond 24's three. I said on numerous occasions that Bond films have become quite bigger productions than in the Bronnen years. People, and especially fans, need to get used to bigger production gaps. It's normal with franchise films. Look to Mission Impossible, Marvel's Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

I'm still not worried though. Despite a slight delay, Bond 24 is by no means turning into another TND or QOS. And star-director Mendes is back also. So I expect some great Oscar-worthy actor/actress names again. And the new kind of "upgraded production scale" that was used for Skyfall, can now be copy-pasted in an easier way. Also don't forget the bigger EON-bank. Just.....be patient I guess.
  • RC7RC7
    NicNac wrote: »
    Every time a new film is in the works everyone starts demanding news.

Too true. It's like Groundhog Day.

I completely agree with you. But let's not forget, there were script revisions taking place for Bond 24. And perhaps they are still taking place.

Allthough, I am not sure why this needs to cause delays. Remember, Peter Morgan wrote the first draft ideas for Bond 24 and they were basically used by Logan, Purvis & Wade.

And the new kind of "upgraded production scale" that was used for Skyfall, can now be copy-pasted in an easier way

Compared to QoS Skyfall had obviously a quite downgraded production value and I strongly hope the amount of cash made with Skyfall is used to give Bond 24 it's usual "the real thing" touch back, which I missed sorely almost every second Bond spent in Asia.
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    I do find it slightly unusual how little news there is at this point. Especially considering the start date was originally set for October.

And the new kind of "upgraded production scale" that was used for Skyfall, can now be copy-pasted in an easier way

Compared to QoS Skyfall had obviously a quite downgraded production value and I strongly hope the amount of cash made with Skyfall is used to give Bond 24 it's usual "the real thing" touch back, which I missed sorely almost every second Bond spent in Asia.

Correct. Although I'm not exactly sure what @Gutstav_Graves means by 'upgraded production scale', it's another one of his hyperbolic jisms. Regards the scale, SF was indeed scaled back. I'm assuming he means the level of production talent was 'upgraded', which is a matter of opinion. I think all of the Craig movies thus far have benefited from high grade production values. I still believe CR is the best as an overall package of story, direction, cinematography, acting, score etc.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Pajan005 wrote: »
    I remember that DC said in the last conference that they would start filming the same day, or am I wrong?

He was getting ahead of himself. The conference was on the Thursday with filming starting the next Monday.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Samuel001 wrote: »

He was getting ahead of himself. The conference was on the Thursday with filming starting the next Monday.

No, they did start filming on the day of the press conference, even though next Monday was officially the "day 1" of shooting.

No, they did start filming on the day of the press conference, even though next Monday was officially the "day 1" of shooting.

Yes I believe all they shot was the Land Rover entering the underground or such scenes.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    We have to consider that Skyfalls offical pre-production went from 2010 when Mendes were first attached to the film. So naturally the span of time were longer then compared to now.
    I'm also certain that EoN has (or is in final negotiations) with the cast and the crew, just because we don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening. In this stage I'm sure that they can start mapping out the sets, lock down the look of the film with the DP, start eventual training for the stuntmen and actors. Things are rolling behind the curtains, we just don't know it yet.

Ok, I see. I remember him saing something like: "Filming starts today, so there's no turning back". Paraphrasing.
    Sorry for the accidental double post here.

Ok, I see. I remember him saing something like: "Filming starts today, so there's no turning back". Paraphrasing.

And thats about what he said.

• MrBond wrote: »
    just because we don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening.
    It means nothing wrong is happening :)
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 512
    I want a press conference, NOW!
    I hope it will be in November, then we will be having the title, actors and filming locations.
  • MrBond wrote: »
    just because we don't hear anything doesn't mean nothing is happening.
    It means nothing wrong is happening :)

Well, between 1989 and 1994 we didn't hear a lot either. And then there was something seriously wrong :-P.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 203
    it is kind of eeerie not to have any leaked info regarding casting so far. considering most big budget projects spill all the beans early these days!
    we still have 2.5 months till fimling begins so we can all relax a bit I am sure there will be a ton of leaks in October and November.. I am just hopeing for a Fleming title again... come on Risico....
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 3,169
    I think that Bond 23, Skyfall, had like four years of production time instead of Bond 24's three. I said on numerous occasions that Bond films have become quite bigger productions than in the Bronnen years. People, and especially fans, need to get used to bigger production gaps. It's normal with franchise films. Look to Mission Impossible, Marvel's Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

Hmm...the gap between the first two Iron Man movies was two years and the gap between the first two Nolan Batman-movies was three years.

And the gap between the Bourne-movies and Thor-movies was two years, too, like the gap between X-men Future Past and X-Men Apocalypse, which is set to come out in 2016.

So...it can be done.
  • Well, between 1989 and 1994 we didn't hear a lot either. And then there was something seriously wrong :-P.
    Sorry, but during these days, the ongoing fiasco between MGM and a French bank in particular (le Credit Lyonnais) was the biggest actuality for Bond fans, or for French Bond fans at least. I know this very well, I was amongst those working for the French fan club at that time. Then Pierce Brosnan was announced (and it was a non-surprise, something that hindered his run as Bond from the beginning), and then Martin Campbell was, and we all rented Absolom.

But feel free to think there was nothing "before the mass Internet" to have some news... It was even easier at that time to actually get in touch with people working on Bond, because it took some effort, and it was acknowledged that way.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, it can be done and with the iron man movies Marvel were simultaneously getting their ducks in line in preparation for the other movies in the Marvel franchise to lead up to the avengers. With batman, Nolan dud other things in between such as inception, whereas with Bond Eon only have Bond to focus on do their time is purely dedicated. However, QPR was released 2 years after CR, with or without the writer's strike and ST took as long as it did to get made due to MGM's financial crisis and restructuring not that it needed 4 years to get made because of how massive the production is. As for Bond 24, it's taking 3 years simply because the producers had trouble finding a director to helm the thing after SF's colossal success and that they were willing to wait for Mendes to finish his other commitments, which took a considerable amount of time.
    Many big movies are and can be made in 2 year cycles; Bond has done and CAN do it if needs be. Using the mission impossible series as an example is weak, they would have had 5 films in 19 years by the time the next one is released; @Gustav you need to remember that people have other things to do. It's a matter of choice and a strategic decision or completely out of Eon's control if their Bond film takes 3,4 or 5 years to make; it's not really anything to do with how grand the production of these movies may have become.
  • Well, between 1989 and 1994 we didn't hear a lot either. And then there was something seriously wrong :-P.
    Sorry, but during these days, the ongoing fiasco between MGM and a French bank in particular (le Credit Lyonnais) was the biggest actuality for Bond fans, or for French Bond fans at least. I know this very well, I was amongst those working for the French fan club at that time. Then Pierce Brosnan was announced (and it was a non-surprise, something that hindered his run as Bond from the beginning), and then Martin Campbell was, and we all rented Absolom.

But feel free to think there was nothing "before the mass Internet" to have some news... It was even easier at that time to actually get in touch with people working on Bond, because it took some effort, and it was acknowledged that way.

I am using this smiley dear @Suivez_ce_parachute: :-P. You know why? Because I love you hehehe.
    Although it can be a little frustrating? I quite like waking up in the mornings to see if their have been any new updates?!!! It is exciting as sooner or later their will be! :D
  • RC7RC7
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Although it can be a little frustrating? I quite like waking up in the mornings to see if their have been any new updates?!!! It is exciting as sooner or later their will be! :D

The way I see it is, the film is released October 23rd, 2015. If I hear news now, or on October 22nd, it's largely irrelevant.

RC7 wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

The way I see it is, the film is released October 23rd, 2015. If I hear news now, or on October 22nd, it's largely irrelevant.

That's a good point? We may get something? Rumour or fact a year ahead to the day? Either way I don't mind! :D
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,459
    Olivier Schneider ... fight choreographer
    Ami Verge ... stunt department coordinator

Are at to Bond 24 list. Ami Verge returns from Skyfall. Example of movies Olivier work on are The Fast And The Furious 6, Taken, Unknown and Safe House. His own website also confirm he work on Bond 24 http://www.olivierschneider.com/en http://www.olivierschneider.com/en/james-bond-24/
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Wow great find @Balje! This Schnieder guy, Saw some videos of his work and if Bond does some of the stuff he was doing sans the more kungfu-esque stuff, the action (fist fights/take downs) are going to be ridiculously amazing.

these 2 vids alone have sold me completely on the guy for some serious visceral action that can top even that of CR and QoS. After the abysmal fist fights in SF'S we really need something that reintroduces Bond as a real tough, dangerously scrappy bastard.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,015
    So a French team specialized in movie fights (including VFX) is now officially claiming to work on Bond 24 ? We have people everywhere :) [But well, in such cases, I think we could have "team" = "1 guy on Bond24", there's no rule]