SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Murdock wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Off topic but what Maude Adams saga in AVTAK? I missed that... so what's the score?
    Maud visited Roger during AVTAK and walked past the camera in one scene. When Bond meets Chuck Lee.

This is a well known myth but I have yet to hear of anybody ever being able to identify Maud. The closest I've heard is that she's sitting on the cable car when Rog gets off but I cant spot her.

Theres plenty of behind the scenes photos on set that prove she was there but I'm yet see proof she made the final cut.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I've seen the screen shot, somewhere on this forum actually. She is in a crowd. I've never tried to catch her in the actual film, maybe someone has?
    I've seen the screen shot, somewhere on this forum actually. She is in a crowd. I've never tried to catch her in the actual film, maybe someone has?

Yes if I remember correctly they're at a harbor of some sort and there are boats to the right of the shot. Roger and cast up front with a crowd including Maud in the back.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

Yes if I remember correctly they're at a harbor of some sort and there are boats to the right of the shot. Roger and cast up front with a crowd including Maud in the back.
    Many seem to think this is her with her then boyfriend:

A-View-to-a-Kill-James-Bond-Roger-Moore-Chuck-Lee-David-Yip-Maud-Adams-cameo.png

GW613H400
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Benny wrote: »
    A prime example of actors not being recast would be Harrison Ford recently breaking his ankle on the set of Star Wars.

FYI, a TV documentary about French actor Jean Rochefort has just been broadcast here on one of our big channels (the guy is a bit one of the last living legends of French cinema), with him on interview at the end of it. That allows us to have yet another version of what happened on the production of Terry Gilliams' The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (for Matt Helm : this is thought to be the biggest amount that insurances ever paid to movie producers to compensate for the fact the shooting did not finish, so it does happen sometimes !).

It won't be translated into English ever so it won't reach something else than a French audience alas, but it gives yet another proof IMO that very few people actually know what happens on these productions. Even amongst those who work on them on set.

The on-set problems of the movie were thought to be well known IMO, there is even a "Lost in la Mancha" movie about it, but yet again with this brand new interview, we have something that changes radically the story : Rochefort said things totally changed in his relationship with Gilliams as soon as he realized the director did not see any problem in, as he said, torturing a horse so that she could be incredibly skinny to play Rocinante.

Rochefort owns several horses, he's passionate about them. He said that to make the horse go in such and such direction on the set, assistants would show apples to her, so that she would go and try to eat the apples, since she was starving. Rochefort said he was contracted to do the movie when he saw for the first time the horse that had been on starvation for months, so it was too late (it was seven months after the contract was signed, already much pre-production had been done, including him working his English dialog every day, and saying no to every French directors for almost a year to focus on Don Quixote). He could not sign off even though he had became very reluctant to continue working with Gilliams, his friend said in the documentary. In the end, his body somehow "spoke" for him, and he had hernias that ended the shooting very soon. The horse died very shortly after. Rochefort said he thought the movie would have been a bad one anyway, and had quite strong words about Gilliams.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    That's a very interesting story @Suivez_ce_parachute. I really like Jean Rochefort. Do you have the name of documentary (just in case I can find it online)?
    It's on the French TV site for one week, but I'm afraid you'll have to find a way to make the site believe you have an IP from France.

http://pluzz.francetv.fr/videos/un_jour_un_destin.html

It's more than 2 hours long, and the part where we hear his version of the Rocinante story starts at 1h59.

Since we're talking about behind the scenes documentary that tell a bit more than the usual DVD commentary done with pink glasses, there's another French documentary about a movie that went bad (Babylon AD). If you want to hear about ghost writers brought in by producers to rewrite something in the back of the director, if you want to hear Vin Diesel reading the script on set to make others realize it can't be shot as it is, if you want to hear the fight choregrapher up and downs, etc... it's :

It's in French alas for most of the interviews, but there are many on-set excerpts, and they were speaking English there.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thanks @Suivez_ce_parachute, I will watch it when I find time. Luckily, je parle français :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    He parole... lol :-SS what happens when autocorrect "corrects" French ..you get " He parole..." ..
    Torture of a horse? Really? Starvation? And to the point where it died. That is so utterly cruel and evil. I cannot stand animals being hurt, but especially for any kind of "entertainment." If that is true, I do not blame him for wanting to quit. Gilliams should have been held accountable in other ways. That is just horrible.
    For those who won't or can't see the documentary about Rochefort, here's his reaction caught on tape...

625258skinnyhorse.jpg

when Terry Gilliam shows him this for the first time..

911065skinnyhorse2.jpg

.. almost a year after signing the contract, and one month before shooting.

They will never discuss such things on BluRay commentaries ! On DVD we had sometimes the first commentaries that were a bit too "frank" - even for Bond movies ! some have been "censored" -, but now it's part of the PR...

In the "what if.." category currenty discussed here, he said another anecdote. He said he also wanted to leave quite a few years before the set of a French comedy that was Patrice Leconte's first movie, because the director was not up to the task in his opinion. The the producer told him : "I'll ruin you". So he finished it :)

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I think we have gone off on a little tangent here.
    JamesPage wrote: »

Why is David Arnold still listed as expected composer of Bond 24 on MI6-HQ?
  • I think we have gone off on a little tangent here.

Why is David Arnold still listed as expected composer of Bond 24 on MI6-HQ?

Just want to say, on the topic of that tangent, that that really disappoints me about Terry Gilliam and is incredibly sad. No animal should ever be starved or abused under any circumstances.

Now, back on Bond, regarding David Arnold, maybe it's just optimistic thinking. ;)

Mendes will likely choose Newman again, but if he doesn't, Arnold of course is the natural choice. I wouldn't rule David Arnold out for Bond 24 just yet.
    Yes it was a bit of off topic. And I'll try not to look at the photo again. Will never think the same of Gilliam ever again. No excuse for that horrific treatment.

Arnold is listed because he is a viable candidate except for the obvious elephant in the room named Newman (due to his association with Mendes only) and it is just a hopeful thing to have listed (for me, anyway). As Arnold has confirmed so far it is not him, it is probably wishful thinking. But I hope he returns; if not 24 then 25.

Really hope we learn the composer during the next month.
    Since this topic is about following the pre-production and the production news, I thought it was a nice coincidence to share : on Sunday was shown on French TV a documentary about an actor involved in a movie production from 15 years ago, which was thought to be a very well documented case : for "Lost in La Mancha", the award winning making-of/documentary, Gilliam agreed to wear a wireless microphone for the whole pre-production and production when the team was here. And yet it's only now we hear another side of the story, with a very important piece of information : the lead actor wished he could have sign off from the movie, he was there only because of contractual obligations.

So, if some people think we'll know one day "for sure" what EON think of Newman's job.... :)
    JamesPage wrote: »

I( don't think, something like this can ever be viewed as tangent or off topic.
  • Hoyte van Hoytema confirmed.

A disappointing blow to me - was hoping for someone with a more imaginative palled.

I'm already pictruing the key note speech to introduce the Bond 24 personel.
    "Ladies and gentlemen introducing... Hoyte van Hoytem"
    "Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Daniel Craig..."
    StoneShi wrote: »
    Hoyte van Hoytema confirmed.
    Really? Where? Without a link, nothing is confirmed

I wouldn't rule David Arnold out for Bond 24 just yet.

I would, since Arnold himself confirmed that he won't score Bond 24.
    A disappointing blow to me - was hoping for someone with a more imaginative palled.

Disappointing? Hoytema is an amazing cinematographer, there is nothing to be disappointed about.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Where is this so called confirmation of Hoytema.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm not seeing this anywhere else but if it is I'm pleased, loved his work in Tinker Tailor and Nolan used him for Interstellar.

I know he was on Mendes radar apparently.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2014 Posts: 432
    Could be a good choice to take the mantle from Deakins
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Hoyte van Hoytema confirmed.

I'm already pictruing the key note speech to introduce the Bond 24 personel.
    "Ladies and gentlemen introducing... Hoyte van Hoytem"
    "Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Daniel Craig..."

What a vivid imagination, painting such a vibrant scene I can almost feel it.

Any chance you can continue down the entire cast and crew as I'm struggling to create an image in my mind of such an outlandish spectacle as a press conference?
    Mendes will likely choose Newman again, but if he doesn't, Arnold of course is the natural choice. I wouldn't rule David Arnold out for Bond 24 just yet.

He tweeted again just a few hours ago that sadly, he was not back for Bond 24. The tweet months ago could have been diplomatic - hey, this is Hollywood, you almost never confirm these things -, but now as it's getting closer, it's less and less likely as time goes by.

As for Hoytema, do we have something else than a loop of self-reference for info here ? :) The guy said he's reading scripts and making commercials while his next project had been delayed again, and wouldn't start this year. So he has room for making Bond24 now, but old sources claiming so were probably really optimistic, if I want to stay diplomatic :)
  • There's still no official news on the DoP, but if it is Hoyema it would be an inspired call. His work on Let The Right One In was outstanding and given that snow is to feature heavily in Bond 24, it's sure to look absolutely gorgeous.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,400
    If so many people are saying they are hearing Hoytema's name from a number of sources then I'd imagine he has got the job. I doubt it's an industry secret that he's photographing Bond 24, it's just not something the studio will announce until the start of production.

TinkerCinema.jpg

I think @JamesPage should run a feature on the MI6 front page as an exclusive and get the news out first. I'm surprised he hasn't already.
    :) The guy said he's reading scripts and making commercials while his next project had been delayed again, and wouldn't start this year.

Source?
    So he has room for making Bond24 now

So he has room for making Bond 24 now? It doesn't work that way. The cinematographer of Bond 24 has signed up to do the movie months ago. Did you seriously think they would start looking for a cinematographer at the end of pre-production?

Funny that the real news that David Arnold has just tweeted this morning, very clearly this time, that he won't work on Bond 24 is outshined by yet other unsourced rumors about Van Hoytema. Van Hoytema, when asked by a Sweden magazine about his future projects after Interstellar, didn't say a word about EON but talked about other big, big things. If he is on Bond 24, it will be thanks to a delay on his big project. Maybe some here are so experts on the field of movie production (I mean, more than a few people here who actually worked in this field :) ) that they knew about him more than himself :)

I mean, the David Arnold tweet is as explicit as Logan's interview about being not interested any more in writing for Bond. OOps, the experts didn't believe it at that time :)

935659davidgarnold.jpg
  • Yep, it's confirmed. Arnold is out and Newman is back