SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 4,619
    but talked about other big, big things. If he is on Bond 24, it will be thanks to a delay on his big project.

Bullshit. (Hasn't it crossed your mind that this "big big thing" is BOND 24? 1. What could be bigger than a Bond movie? 2. Wasn't the filming of Bond 24 delayed?)

Yep, it's confirmed. Arnold is out and Newman is back

It only confirmes that:
    1. David Arnold is out.
    2. David Arnold believes that Newman will be the composer.

The truth is that Arnold has no idea who the composer will be, he only knows that it won't be him.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,015
    So... those who say it's Van Hoytema, manage to read in an interview they know nothing about, that it confirms he's on Bond 24. I think it's quite telling about the quality of the alleged sources. Maybe he dined recently with Lea Seydoux too ?

(Hint : the big, big thing is actually named in the interview, it's the most expensive movie project in his country :) ).

The two-words Arnold tweet has more info than the whole Van Hoytema saga, I'm afraid. And yet it could be Van Hoytema now ! "Last minute" crew contracts do happen, believe it or not :)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,619
    So... those who say it's Van Hoytema, manage to read in an interview they know nothing about, that it confirms he's on Bond 24. I think it's quite telling about the quality of the alleged sources.

(Hint : the big, big thing is actually named in the interview, it's the most expensive movie project in his country :) ).

The two-words Arnold tweet has more info than the whole Von Hoytema saga, I'm afraid.

I am asking this for the third time: can you provide a link to that interview? By the way, what on earth are you talking about? Are you saying my source was this swedish interview I have never read, when I said that Hoytema is the cinematographer of Bond 24? Are you for real?

Jesus Christ, most people here really do lack common sense...
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited September 2014 Posts: 2,044
    The movie that Hoyte Van Hoytema have signed on to is his reunion with Thomas Alfredson on the remake of Astrid Lindgrens famous story "The Brothers Lionheart". It is a movie that is partly being funded by the Swedish government and has a budget on 1-150 million dollars which makes it the largest movie in the Northern Europe.
    The movie has been in talks since 2012 and had a original start of production in December 2013 and no other words are out. The only thing I know for certain is that Van Hoythema is the DP of that movie when it kicks of. But of the look of it, that movie won't start until earliest sometime next year.
    @PanchitoPistols
    The sooner we get some sort of confirmed appointments the better? Although it is fun reading this raging debate! :D
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, David Arnold will not be on Bond 24. But he may be the composer for Bond 25. So I'll continue to cheer him on. On one hand, maybe he would rather people not keep asking him ... but on the other, surely he realizes that it is a compliment. Many do want him on Bond 24.

So we have Newman, not completely confirmed but oh so highly likely.

We have no idea really on the cinematographer. I do think they know by now.

EON is doing a fine job keeping leaks at bay.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,015
    MrBond wrote: »
    The movie that Hoyte Van Hoytema have signed on to is his reunion with Thomas Alfredson on the remake of Astrid Lindgrens famous story "The Brothers Lionheart".
    Yes, and a Sweden movie magazine asked him what he would do after Interstellar, (and just a few days after Deakins announced he would not do Bond 24, hint, hint), and he answered about the difficulty of uniting all the backers for this project that is very important to him. He was then "reading scripts and doing commercials" because of the delay. It's not really clear the shooting will start in 2015 though, it's crisis everywhere, isn't it ? That it'll help him signing for Bond 24 in hope the credentials it gives, will help producers to back him and Alferdson is a real possibility though !

I would consider that someone who claims to know months ahead it was him, should really give some sources though :) After all, it all started here with the unsourced rumor that "There is a good chance" [the exact words] that Hoytema will do Bond 24. Now it's been repeated so often some consider it as a given fact !? It may be him, though ! Sometimes luck falls on the truth :)

And for those who think Hoytema would have denied now given all the "rumors", don't forget Lea Seydoux has yet to say anything too.. and for her, we're talking about claims written in all the media, not just on some forum.
    TOLDJA!
    "Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema to fill Roger Deakins' shoes on Sam Mendes' Bond 24"
    http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/her-cinematographer-hoyte-van-hoytema-to-fill-roger-deakins-shoes-on-sam-mendes-bond-24

I have been visiting "In Contention" for years and I can assure you that you can believe them.
  • TOLDJA!

Please see above. It was me broke the news and it's time I got the credit, instead of mistrust. I stood firm and was criticised. I also was the first to break news about Purvis and Wade change up. I also have provided couments providing the original TWINE script. Other MI6 users can vouch. I have an in with the production crew so maybe it's best to leave me to it and take my word.

A few Bond 24 announcements coming in next week friends... :) I'll keep you posted.

edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Oh for heaven's sake, StoneShi. Panchito's recent posting is the only decent link to an actual confirmation we have had. Plenty were hoping and guessing and wondering that it would be van Hoytema.
  • -A Norwegian article claims that a group of islands in Norway were being considered for filming, but were scrapped after the Purvis & Wade rewrite. The article claims some negotiations are under way to still film in the country.
    This sounds lovely. I hope they can do some filming there. I watch New Scandinavian Cooking and they always cook outdoors with a backdrop to die for.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited September 2014 Posts: 108
    "Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema to fill Roger Deakins' shoes on Sam Mendes' Bond 24"
    http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/her-cinematographer-hoyte-van-hoytema-to-fill-roger-deakins-shoes-on-sam-mendes-bond-24
    If true, that's great news. Hoytema is a gifted cinematographer.

It's interesting how, post-Deakins, the Bond fandom has entered "a new era" in which the cinematographers are almost as important and interesting to the fans as the film directors themselves. Even with his tremendous skill, Hoytema has big shoes to fill after Deakins.

Happy to have it "almost" confirmed. Yes Shi, you never provide links. Do that and you will get full credit.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This is absolutely fantastic news! I don't usually yeehaa but this is a quintessential yeehaa moment!

Still, I'm holding out hope that Arnold is being evasive and trying to deflect his involvement as people in the industry lie all the time but I'm not deluding myself that he's definitely lying; I'm just hoping that he is.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    TOLDJA!

I have been visiting "In Contention" for years and I can assure you that you can believe them.

Great news!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Strelik wrote: »
    If true, that's great news. Hoytema is a gifted cinematographer.

It's interesting how, post-Deakins, the Bond fandom has entered "a new era" in which the cinematographers are almost as important and interesting to the fans as the film directors themselves. Even with his tremendous skill, Hoytema has big shoes to fill after Deakins.

It certainly is @Strelik. But first of all, can I say this? Woooopyyy =D> :D!!! By jolly, I've read some wunderful Bond news today. Hoyte van Hoytema is quite known among Dutch film circles, because he is.....DUTCH :-D (Member of the Netherlands Society of Cinematographers (NSC) and the Swedish Society of Cinematographers (Föreningen Sveriges Filmfotografer - FSF)!! I'm so happy for him. Allthough van Hoytema was born in Switzerland, his parents are Dutch and he lived most of his life in The Netherlands. He started his career with Dutch movies.

Most importantly, I agree with you that Babs & Michael's choice for Hoyte van Hoytema has to be seen as a direct result of the quality upgrade of the Bond franchise with "Skyfall". It's quite clear that Babs & Michael didn't want to go for a typical action cinematographer.

No, van Hoytema's work for "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" (This movie deserved some more credit on MI6-HQ, as I found this a worthy, wunderful espionage thriller. More intelligent at least than "November Man") and "Her" IMO was incredible. For both movies he did so much with a simple aspect like color (filters). The DDR-esque sadness for "T,T,S,S", the smooth pinkish feel for "Her". Andddd, let's not forget, he just completed work for Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" :D!!

And on top of that, David Arnold once again confirmed that he will NOT return to the Bond family. I'm still a bit baffled why MI6-HQ kept mentioning that David Arnold was "likely to return", if he expressed himself on numerous occasions via Twitter that he won't be returning.

For Thomas Newman this means, most likely, his 2nd Bond film. I'm so damn curious how his Bond music will evolve when compared to "Skyfall"! It seems my....'cries' to get Newman back paid off :-P (http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/bring-thomas-newman-back-for-bond-24-appreciation-topic/p1).

No, today gave the best Bond 24-news in many months :-D! It shows that "Bond 24" could be as big as "Skyfall". At least it confirms that EON prefers a cast and crew of similar stellar, Oscar-heavy quality compared to "Skyfall". The Bond franchise now completely rockss. Wooooopyyyy indeed 8-}!!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Fantastic news, a gifted DOP and a great replacement for Deakins. Hopefully more news will drip through soon.

Pity about Arnold as I would have liked his return although I didn't hate Newman's effort, just keen to see what Arnold would do after his first break from the series since he started, hopefully he'll be back for Bond 25.
    We still didn't have the confirmation that Newman is doing Bond 24 but it is most likely. Back when I first asked Arnold (yep, I was the first) and he answered it was not him I was a bit on the fence, since there was some rumour going on that Arnold was coming back but now it's obvious he's not doing it. I'm not one of those who hated Newman's SF soundtrack but I didn't love it either and the reason for that is because I know Newman can do so much better! He's done some of my favourite soundtracks in the past 10 years, but compared to those SF was uninspired. So, if Newman does come back I will still be excited, not because how great his work in SF was, but because I want to know if he can come up with something great (like he has done before).
    I do think Arnold will return to Bond in the future. Meanwhile quite happy to hear about van Hoytema. :)
  • Arnold is gone burger. Broccolis won't work with him again after the QOS experience.
    Sam Mendes has worked (almost?) exclusively with Newman but never worked with Arnold, that is why we are not getting Arnold. I doubt we would get Newman again with any other director. In the future another director might bring Arnold back, he's done some amazing work especially in CR and QoS and is now in great demant due to his work in Sherlock, for example.
    Sandy wrote: »
    Sam Mendes has worked (almost?) exclusively with Newman but never worked with Arnold, that is why we are not getting Arnold. I doubt we would get Newman again with any other director. In the future another director might bring Arnold back, he's done some amazing work especially in CR and QoS and is now in great demant due to his work in Sherlock, for example.

With ID forever in 2016 and nothing until Sherlock gets filmed his great demand seems to be rather low when one consults IMDb.com

I think that DA did have the time but with Mendes around he is currently side tracked.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Sandy wrote: »

With ID forever in 2016 and nothing until Sherlock gets filmed his great demand seems to be rather low when one consults IMDb.com

I think that DA did have the time but with Mendes around he is currently side tracked.

When I spoke of demand I was also talking about things other than soundtracks. He does a lot of conducting, concerts, producing, etc.

DA did have time (and would always find time) for Bond if he were asked, but Mendes likes to work with people he knows well.
  • StoneShi wrote: »
    Arnold is gone burger. Broccolis won't work with him again after the QOS experience.

You mean the experience,that provided us with the best Bond soundtrack in decades?
    Indeed Arnold kept improving.
  • Matt_Helm wrote: »
    StoneShi wrote: »
    Arnold is gone burger. Broccolis won't work with him again after the QOS experience.

Personality clash. Bring Marc Forster into the mix and it armageddon behind the camera. Made for a fiasco of a movie if you ask me. Arnold is Hollywood blacklist, persona non grata, burned bridges. Don't %*$# with a Broccoli. Look what happened to Piece.

And Skyfall was the best score in decades :)

You mean the experience,that provided us with the best Bond soundtrack in decades?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TOLDJA!

Please see above. It was me broke the news and it's time I got the credit, instead of mistrust. I stood firm and was criticised. I also was the first to break news about Purvis and Wade change up. I also have provided couments providing the original TWINE script. Other MI6 users can vouch. I have an in with the production crew so maybe it's best to leave me to it and take my word.

A few Bond 24 announcements coming in next week friends... :) I'll keep you posted.

In order for news to be credible, a link needs to be provided as to the source.
    If you want the respect of your fellow members, you have to earn it. Next time you have a news story, by all means share it. But provide a link to the source as well.

;)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,400
    I hugely doubt the Broccoli's have turned against Arnold. My understanding is that Mendes wanted Newman and EON give Sam everything he wants. It was as simple as that.

Newman did a great score and got Oscar nominated for it but I heard whispers that EON were unhappy with his work and it's one of the reasons one of Arnold's tracks from the CR soundtrack is used in the final scene of the movie. I doubt there is any bad blood between the two and while Arnold may not be too prevalent a name in Hollywood he is big in the UK. He scored the opening ceremony of the Olympics over here.

In other Hoytema news: It's clear from SF that Mendes leaned heavily on Nolan's style in TDK movies so he's really opened himself up to more claims that he's cribbing on Nolan's films by hiring his DP. Nonetheless, this shot from the Interstellar trailer is stunning

Interstellar-Trailer-Teaser.jpg
    TOLDJA!
    Please see above. It was me broke the news and it's time I got the credit,

PUH-LEASE! Stop trolling and look up my comment in the "Bond 24 Rumor bin" thread posted on June 30. ;)
  • I hugely doubt the Broccoli's have turned against Arnold. My understanding is that Mendes wanted Newman and EON give Sam everything he wants. It was as simple as that.

Newman did a great score and got Oscar nominated for it but I heard whispers that EON were unhappy with his work

Careful decision-maing processes
    It's never a "turned against him" or "we always support him" situation. These decisions are being made carefully, weighing all factors. Do not forget that Babs & Michael have the final choice, regardless of Thomas Newman's credentials. They have the power to hire David Arnold, not Sam Mendes.

Also, your remark "I heard whispers EON were unhappy with his work" I find rather gossip-y. You can not find any proof for that remark. The fact is that Babs & Michael were delighted when Newman won his BAFTA for Skyfall (People tend to forget that. Apparently the British liked his music more than the Oscars Academy).

Broccoli, Wilson, Craig: A truly unique team
    I also believe that, when Daniel Craig joined the cast in 2006, he has become some kind of "creative associate producer" as well. Bond actor Daniel Craig has become way more involved in the creative process than previous Bond actors. Add to that Craig's idea/suggestion to Babs & Michael to hire Sam Mendes for "Skyfall", and hear hear.......a perfect team in which final agreements are being made when everyone is happy.

It's modern....and truly wunderful.....that Broccoli, Wilson, Craig & Mendes are working so tightly together. This team truly wants the best of the best....not just "another good Bond movie". They really want the Bond franchise to be trendsetting again. And this includes a composer whose more extensive filmography -a fact, check IMDB- than David Arnold. It's a bit unique for the franchise though and rather new for the Bond fans as well, as in the past the producers "Cubby" & Harry truly had the final say over cast/crew choices, resulting in rather stingy disagreements, for example between John Barry and Harry Saltzman. And let's not forget Sean Connery, whose own creative ideas were usually ignored during and after "Goldfinger".

For me, from a decision-making point of view, it would seem weird to hire David Arnold. I don't say that he isn't suitable for the job. But I do think his CV is slightly "pale" compared to Newman. And off course the production team will never say "You're not good enough". But it's an aspect that will be taken into account. It's a normal process for everyone who's looking for a job: Only the ones with the best CV's get the job.
    .....and it's one of the reasons one of Arnold's tracks from the CR soundtrack is used in the final scene of the movie. I doubt there is any bad blood between the two and while Arnold may not be too prevalent a name in Hollywood he is big in the UK. He scored the opening ceremony of the Olympics over here.

Yes, David Arnold was involved in "Skyfall" with the Bond Theme score, but only as an inspiration / "creative supervisor" for Thomas Newman. He did not copy-paste the music from CR and QOS or gave the recordings from those movies directly to Newman so he could edit it for the film. Nonsense.

Actually, if you listen the James Bond Themes from CR, QOS and SF, you can actually hear mild differences in orchestration and arrangements.