Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I hate American football. I cannot stand it whatsoever. I think it's the worst sport, it's boring, repetitive, I just cannot stand it.

Sorry, but how is this controversial exactly?
    :))

I know there are a lot of people from the UK on this site, but I figured some people would be angered at that. So many die-hard "football" fans here, it's disgusting. The sport is so terrible to watch.

I have to agree. I hate football.

No, you hate American football.

I hate both; I don't discriminate!

I don't know enough about American football but the other football I never managed to even remotely like. I don't hate it per se, but I hate how it turns the supporters into a horde of mindless, brainless thugs and loud drunkards. Football here is a religion, and really is the opium of the people.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Here's one, maybe people will disagree because it obviously won for some reason and I've never seen it, but: 'Saving Private Ryan' ABSOLUTELY should've won the Best Picture Oscar over 'Shakespeare in Love.' I don't even need to see the latter to say that confidently.

I'd say most people think Saving Private Ryan deserved to win, or at least had a legitimate case.

Regarding American football, I can only marvel at people who call it rugby for wimps and then turn into "real" football, in which taking dives to get penalties is a common tactic. You can enjoy "real" football and hate American football all you want, but I can't help but I see a contradiction there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm just saying that I prefer football to "football," and with that, I can't watch or stand the latter whatsoever. The only sport I actively follow and watch is NHL hockey.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm just saying that I prefer football to "football," and with that, I can't watch or stand the latter whatsoever. The only sport I actively follow and watch is NHL hockey.

I don't mind hockey, although I don't actively follow it. The one sport I can't stand is basketball. Stop and start and stop and start and stop and start, especially in the last few minutes. It's infuriating.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's exactly what I don't like about American football: line up, run a few feet, stop, commercial break, line up again, run a few feet, stop, line up, throw the ball, stop, commercial break. So repetitive.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote:
    I liked him in Green Lantern.
    *ducks*
    Me too, I liked him better as GL than Henry Cavill as Superman.
    We reach, brother! :))
  • Regarding American football, I can only marvel at people who call it rugby for wimps and then turn into "real" football, in which taking dives to get penalties is a common tactic. You can enjoy "real" football and hate American football all you want, but I can't help but I see a contradiction there.

I called it rugby for wimps because it seems the same as rugby, except they have massive pads on to protect them. Although I say that knowing f**k all about it so maybe I'm wrong. I don't hate American football, like I said, I know nothing about it, but what I do hate is people calling football "soccer" and American football football.

Yes there are divers in football. Every sport has it's fair share of cheaters, nothing new there.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I don't know enough about American football but the other football I never managed to even remotely like. I don't hate it per se, but I hate how it turns the supporters into a horde of mindless, brainless thugs and loud drunkards. Football here is a religion, and really is the opium of the people.

See I think a lot of it is down to how you were raised. I was bought up on football. I was taken to the football from a very young age and I played it a lot growing up. It's always been my favourite sport by far.

Yeah you get the idiots who just use matches as an excuse to fight but there's nothing wrong with the sport itself. And the "loud drunkards" are just fans enjoying themselves.
    They're still loud drunkards though. Regardless of the quality of the sport, the fans I cannot stand and not only of football. Although I do find the whole thing a bit eurotrash. What is the saying? Rugby is a sport of brutes practised by gentlemen and football a sport of gentlemen practised by brutes?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 1,405
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Here's one, maybe people will disagree because it obviously won for some reason and I've never seen it, but: 'Saving Private Ryan' ABSOLUTELY should've won the Best Picture Oscar over 'Shakespeare in Love.' I don't even need to see the latter to say that confidently.

I'd say most people think Saving Private Ryan deserved to win, or at least had a legitimate case.

Regarding American football, I can only marvel at people who call it rugby for wimps and then turn into "real" football, in which taking dives to get penalties is a common tactic. You can enjoy "real" football and hate American football all you want, but I can't help but I see a contradiction there.

No contest here, Saving Private Ryan was the film of 1998. I learned that something wrong was up when "Driving Miss Daisy" in 1989 won 4 Academy Awards BEFORE being released to the general public. How can a movie win anything when nobody saw it?
  • Ludovico wrote:
    It is in Montreal where you can find the best bagels.

That quote remind me of another one: "The most beautiful women in the world are in Québec".

I've traveled a lot in my life and believe me, there's nothing remotely near what Italy can come up with. Young Italian women (20-35 years old) as a lot are AWESOME. BTW I'm from Montréal, Québec.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I hate American football. I cannot stand it whatsoever. I think it's the worst sport, it's boring, repetitive, I just cannot stand it.

Sorry, but how is this controversial exactly?
    :))

I know there are a lot of people from the UK on this site, but I figured some people would be angered at that. So many die-hard "football" fans here, it's disgusting. The sport is so terrible to watch.

I have to agree. I hate football.

No, you hate American football.

I hate both; I don't discriminate!

Well said there, @Ludovico. My thoughts exactly. It's like I've always said - another way of dividing people up into opposing camps (needlessly). But on it goes regardless...

I called it rugby for wimps because it seems the same as rugby, except they have massive pads on to protect them. Although I say that knowing f**k all about it so maybe I'm wrong. I don't hate American football, like I said, I know nothing about it, but what I do hate is people calling football "soccer" and American football football.

Yes there are divers in football. Every sport has it's fair share of cheaters, nothing new there.
    Ludovico wrote:

See I think a lot of it is down to how you were raised. I was bought up on football. I was taken to the football from a very young age and I played it a lot growing up. It's always been my favourite sport by far.

Yeah you get the idiots who just use matches as an excuse to fight but there's nothing wrong with the sport itself. And the "loud drunkards" are just fans enjoying themselves.

You have to understand that the NFL(National Football League) generates a great deal of $$$ for teams, media, sponsors and the league. They are all about not criticizing the league and just cashing large checks. As to excitement and the game, a friend described it as "10 minutes of action stretched out for 3 hours".

I do enjoy football(soccer for us Yanks) and understand the loyalty and frenzy of the fans. It must be really something to go to a match with both teams bitter rivals. The one problem I have is total number of shots on goal. There's not enough of them for 90 minutes. In football if you have 8 shots on goal, you would say that's alot for 90 minutes.(Some would argue that the defense is porous and the goalie was over-worked.). It takes a long time for a play to develop and when the ball is at one end, it's pretty boring for fans at the other end. In hockey, you can have 8 shots on goal in 20 seconds. Much more exciting.

My suggestions are: 1) When the ball is on your side of the center line, you have a one man advantage. That would open up the game for longer passes, etc.. 2) And the most controversial: Use two balls instead of one. Imagine the excitement if a goalie has two balls headed in his direction, he has to decide which one to go after first. Could be bedlam, but I can see a great deal more excitement.

FLeiter wrote:

Ludovico wrote:

You have to understand that the NFL(National Football League) generates a great deal of $$$ for teams, media, sponsors and the league. They are all about not criticizing the league and just cashing large checks. As to excitement and the game, a friend described it as "10 minutes of action stretched out for 3 hours".

I do enjoy football(soccer for us Yanks) and understand the loyalty and frenzy of the fans. It must be really something to go to a match with both teams bitter rivals. The one problem I have is total number of shots on goal. There's not enough of them for 90 minutes. In football if you have 8 shots on goal, you would say that's alot for 90 minutes.(Some would argue that the defense is porous and the goalie was over-worked.). It takes a long time for a play to develop and when the ball is at one end, it's pretty boring for fans at the other end. In hockey, you can have 8 shots on goal in 20 seconds. Much more exciting.

My suggestions are: 1) When the ball is on your side of the center line, you have a one man advantage. That would open up the game for longer passes, etc.. 2) And the most controversial: Use two balls instead of one. Imagine the excitement if a goalie has two balls headed in his direction, he has to decide which one to go after first. Could be bedlam, but I can see a great deal more excitement.

That is quite possibly the worst suggestion I've ever read.

Football has managed just fine as it is for the last 150 years.
    That is quite possibly the worst suggestion I've ever read.

Football has managed just fine as it is for the last 150 years.

I suppose topless women's football would be a stretch then.

Anyone remember this?

;-)
    Ludovico wrote:
    It is in Montreal where you can find the best bagels.

That quote remind me of another one: "The most beautiful women in the world are in Québec".

I've traveled a lot in my life and believe me, there's nothing remotely near what Italy can come up with. Young Italian women (20-35 years old) as a lot are AWESOME. BTW I'm from Montréal, Québec.

And I am too! So hello fellow.Montrealer! ( well originally I'm from Chicoutimi, but expat Sagueneens are often Montrealers). I agree about Italian women. I would agree about Quebec women too, at least actresses.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I don't like the film, Matilda.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This whole Mark Duggan thing that sparked the 2011 riots has culminated in being a lawful killing. Good! As far as I'm concerned, as someone who used to live in the area, I say good riddance to bad rubbish. Honestly, some of my fellow minorities act in the most retarded of ways and simply don't know how to carry themselves accordingly. If you walk and talk like you're a gangster, why be offended if you get treated like one? Drawing unnecessary attention to one's self is and has never been cool.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    doubleoego wrote:
    This whole Mark Duggan thing that sparked the 2011 riots has culminated in being a lawful killing. Good! As far as I'm concerned, as someone who used to live in the area, I say good riddance to bad rubbish. Honestly, some of my fellow minorities act in the most retarded of ways and simply don't know how to carry themselves accordingly. If you walk and talk like you're a gangster, why be offended if you get treated like one? Drawing unnecessary attention to one's self is and has never been cool.

Well said that Man
    I do hope that this matter can now be left to quieten down if only for the sake of his family however with the amount of attention the the media are giving to it I'm not expecting that to happen any time soon.
    Whilst I empathise with any family member who has lost a loved one, the harsh reality is Duggan was not a very nice individual and was carrying a handgun at the time the taxi was stopped. Quite simply if he didn't have the gun he probably wouldn't have lost his life.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    I'd take his gun and then hed be the dead man.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Absolutely, @MrCoggins. Losing one's life and a loved one is always sad and given Duggan's family reaction, the media I'm sure are going to milk this out as some sort of moral panic with their usual cleverly devised agenda setting techniques but as @WillyGalore said, the guy wasn't a nice individual. He was a dirty, rotten, dangerous scumbag. The guy was in some gang called, the "Tottenham man'dem crew". Responsible and respectable members of society isn't the first thing that springs to mind hearing such a name; it screams, typical decay of society. Why did he have a gun in the first place? Was he on his way to execute someone himself or be an accessory to something unsavoury? Either way, he lived by the dirt and died by the proverbial shovel.
    Affleck Could Easily surpass Nolan's Batman trilogy (and here is the controversial part)

Using only UNUSED villains

Seriously Mad Hatter Hugo Strange Black Mask Killer Croc Man Bat ClayFace so many strong villains
    Affleck will make Bale's Batman look like the poseur punk that he is.
    *ducks*
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Yes Doubleoego those who live by the sword. Die by the sword or so it would seem but let's move on from this now there are better things to discuss
    Regards Coggins .
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Michael Keaton has not done anything really worthwhile since his Batman films.
    And I think he is fine with not working much at all any more.
    Keaton & Dalton are similar for me in that they both put in their time with two of my favourite performances of two iconic characters I love, and that's all I could ever ask of them.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wish they would make a Live action version of The Dark Knight Returns with Michael Keaton.
    Murdock wrote:
    I wish they would make a Live action version of The Dark Knight Returns with Michael Keaton.
    OOHHHHHHHHhhh, that would SO rock!!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    OOHHHHHHHHhhh, that would SO rock!!!

It would the best Batman film ever. :D