Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    It would the best Batman film ever. :D
    I don't know that it would top Batman for me (God I simply love that flick), but it might equal it! And imagine Nathan Fillion as Superman...

*chrisisall has encountered an error and has frozen up due to severe geek-gasm. He will reboot shortly*
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    doubleoego wrote:
    Absolutely, @MrCoggins. Losing one's life and a loved one is always sad and given Duggan's family reaction, the media I'm sure are going to milk this out as some sort of moral panic with their usual cleverly devised agenda setting techniques but as @WillyGalore said, the guy wasn't a nice individual. He was a dirty, rotten, dangerous scumbag. The guy was in some gang called, the "Tottenham man'dem crew". Responsible and respectable members of society isn't the first thing that springs to mind hearing such a name; it screams, typical decay of society. Why did he have a gun in the first place? Was he on his way to execute someone himself or be an accessory to something unsavoury? Either way, he lived by the dirt and died by the proverbial shovel.

I agree - the law has spoken, now it's time for his family to accept that and move on. There has been due process by the coroner in this case - it has been (rightly) declared a lawful killing of the individual concerned - there's no need for this blackening of the police or the politicising of the incident that has been going on. What did he think the police would do - kiss him or something?
    The fact that Hugo strange has never been used in film is horrible.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    - The Big Sleep is a great 1970's thriller, with Mitchum on top form.
    - The Dead Pool is the best Dirty Harry film.
    - Psycho (1960) isn't a horror film, it's a thriller.
    - The Shadow (1994) is the best comic book related film.
    - Sylvester McCoy is the best Doctor, while Anthony Ainley is the best Master.
    - I don't get the fuss surrounding Jennifer Lawrence.
    - Keaton was the best Batman, though I didn't mind Kilmer.
    - Top Gear should return to being more 'nuts & bolts' than a light entertainment show.
    - Halle Berry isn't a bad actress, she just makes dubious choices.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    - The Dead Pool is the best Dirty Harry film.
    - Psycho (1960) isn't a horror film, it's a thriller.
    - The Shadow (1994) is the best comic book related film.
    - Sylvester McCoy is the best Doctor, while Anthony Ainley is the best Master.
    - I don't get the fuss surrounding Jennifer Lawrence.
    - Keaton was the best Batman, though I didn't mind Kilmer.
    - Top Gear should return to being more 'nuts & bolts' than a light entertainment show.
    - Halle Berry isn't a bad actress, she just makes dubious choices.
    I agree wholeheartedly with your last two listings Major.
    In reply to MDS regarding The Big Sleep:

"The Long Goodbye" is the best Marlowe film ever and I'd even say Gould is possibly my favourite Marlowe, though all of them have been inspired casting.

They need to make a modern day Marlowe film.

Regarding the Doctor:

Eccleston is the best Doctor; Davison, McCoy, and McGann are all among the best as well. In addition to those four, Troughton and Tennant (and Capaldi if he gives a performance as good as his bit in TNotD) are both better than Tom Baker, making Baker 7th on my list and tied with Pertwee/Smith.
  • Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I wish they would make a Live action version of The Dark Knight Returns with Michael Keaton.
    OOHHHHHHHHhhh, that would SO rock!!!
    It would the best Batman film ever. :D
    Without any doubt- he should have done the voice in the animated DKR movie
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    I agree wholeheartedly with your last two listings Major.

The films I have seen with Berry in, I can put into two groups:

Those I liked:
    - The Rich Man's Wife
    - Things We Lost In The Fire (Berry's best performance)
    - Executive Decision (it's a limited role, but I thought Berry made the best of what she was given)
    - Face Of An Angel (a tv movie, but i'm still counting it)
    - Perfect Stranger (it took a savaging on release, but I liked the film)
    - Gothika (see Perfect Stranger).

And then there is:
    - Die Another Day
    - Catwoman
    - Movie 43 (quite possibly the worst film I have ever seen).
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189

I agree 100% on that, god that film was awful. Couldn't even get through it all.

I saw Halle recently in Cloud Atlas, she was ok but not great (better than she was in DAD though).
    BAIN123 wrote:

I agree 100% on that, god that film was awful. Couldn't even get through it all.

I made it through to the end, though I wish I had turned it off. Why any self respecting actor or actress would take part in that film is beyond me. Either the director has potentially damaging photos of every actor and actress involved or they were all paid a hell of a lot of money.
    BAIN123 wrote:

I made it through to the end, though I wish I had turned it off. Why any self respecting actor or actress would take part in that film is beyond me. Either the director has potentially damaging photos of every actor and actress involved or they were all paid a hell of a lot of money.

Apparently some people either refused to take part or tried to get out:

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    My controversial opinions:

I love Indiana Jones 4 and Star Wars prequels as much as the originals.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,894
    BAIN123 wrote:

Apparently some people either refused to take part or tried to get out:

"The problem wasn't reviewing it, the problem was simply... how to describe it without overstepping the lines of taste and decency."

Cinematic sewage, that's how I would describe it. Open the sluice gates, and let it dribble away.
    - The Dead Pool is the best Dirty Harry film. I loved how he improved his love for big guns.
    - Psycho (1960) isn't a horror film, it's a thriller. SO TRUE
    - The Shadow (1994) is the best comic book related film. PAINFULL TRUTH
    - Sylvester McCoy is the best Doctor, while Anthony Ainley is the best Master. That would be Tom Baker imho
    - I don't get the fuss surrounding Jennifer Lawrence. She is the girl next door and everybody likes her, her luck.
    - Keaton was the best Batman, though I didn't mind Kilmer. I like your thinking
    - Top Gear should return to being more 'nuts & bolts' than a light entertainment show. The show was always outragious which makes it fun
    - Halle Berry isn't a bad actress, she just makes dubious choices. TRUE and she still looks very delicious.

- BIG FINISH is a brilliant outfit that has done amazing work in keeping the Doctor Who torch aflame.
    - Catharine Deneuve is one of the most beautifull actresses alive, her not being in a 007 movie is downright crazy.
    - Murray Gold would be a brillaint name for the 007 franchise when it comes to music.
    - Highlander the TV show was the best the Highlander franchise did offer.
    - Characters like The Saint & The Shadow have been disserved by those in possession of the rights when it comes to the cinema releases.
    - James Bond the movie article has borrowed more from the literary Saint character as is ever acknowledged.
    - Martin Scorcese's movies are overrated.
    - Don Lawrence did draw some of the most beautifull European comics ever.
    - Blake & Mortimer, comic series, have had some brilliant continuation books that are faithfull to the original vision of its creator.

Politics is more about tribal power wish fulfilment and pet theories than reality.
    Love is hormones.
    The Shadow & Legend Of Zorro are the best non-Batman Batman movies ever made.
    DN was Connery's best work as Bond.
    Shatner's STV is entirely watchable, if not exactly great.
    All previous decades are overrated.
    Most prejudice is due to a lack of a definable hobby.
    The world will end in ice, not in fire.
  • I actually really liked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Not as much as Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade, but at least more than Temple of Doom.

Also, Steve Martin's Pink Panther movies. Not as much as the best Peter Sellers ones, but I liked Steve Martin's first Pink Panther movie better than a couple of the lesser Peter Sellers entries, and even The Pink Panther 2, despite having the worst title in the entire franchise, was better than some of the other non-Sellers Pink Panther films.
    SlyFox007 wrote:
    I actually really liked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Not as much as Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade, but at least more than Temple of Doom.
    I like them all equally, for different reasons.
    :)>-
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,947
    delete
    chrisisall wrote:
    SlyFox007 wrote:
    I actually really liked Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Not as much as Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade, but at least more than Temple of Doom.
    I like them all equally, for different reasons.
    :)>-
    True- ROTLA and TLC were the highlights of the series, but I probably like KOTCS as much as TOD.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,400
    delete
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DC and Warner Brothers need to stop trying to make Live Action Superhero movies and focus on their animated movies as they are far superior.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,691
    QBranch wrote:
    ROTLA and TLC were the highlights of the series, but I probably like KOTCS as much as TOD.
    Yes, I can agree here.
    The first defined Jones, and action movies in general. Stunning.
    The second took us for a wild & fairly unexpected ride. Short Round ruled.
    The third had the most heart & soul, thanks in no small part to Connery.
    The last reunited Indy with Marion, and for that alone, I love it.
    The Temple of Doom mine cart scene is highly entertaining, and I think, paved the way for many similar mine cart chases in films and games. There's a mine cart level in one of the Donkey Kong Country games and Mario Kart Wii that I'm reminded of when I watch this scene.
  • Murdock wrote:
    DC and Warner Brothers need to stop trying to make Live Action Superhero movies and focus on their animated movies as they are far superior.

DC and Warner Bros need to stop focusing on cinematic adaptations of their characters until they can once again make readable comic books featuring those characters.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    SlyFox007 wrote:

Exactly this. And despite being on the bottom of my list, I still love ToD.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I liked Indiana Jones 4 too. I think the backlash to it was very OTT. It was probably the worst one but I thought it was still quite good. Wasn't really needed, but it was enjoyable, even if it had some flaws.

Here's another controversial sequel opinion: I thought Hangover 3 was actually quite good. Nowhere near as funny as the first but I thought it was fun and that it was much better than the second one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Temple of Doom is my favourite Jones film.
    I will never watch Man of Steel.
    Chang wrote:
    I will never watch Man of Steel.

That is not very controversial.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Having debt is trafficking with the devil.