I hate bridesmaids I find completely unfunny and I hate it
    Risico007 wrote:

The function or the show?
    Risico007 wrote:

You are more a Hang over kind of guy?

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Brian's prison fight in fast 6 is better than every fight scene to exist in a Bond movie since OHMSS and that makes me sad. Also, And I don't say this lightly but I think Justin Lin with an amazing script to work with could direct the hell out of a Bond movie.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,816
    I think the term trilogy is overused, often inaccurately used and overrated.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:

Me too. Blame Star Wars for starting it...
    Speaking of SW, I think the original 3 films are shockingly overrated and over the course if all 6 films, it's saving grace really has been William's consistently majestic score.
    Risico007 wrote:

Completely agreed. Bridesmaids is a horrible movie. Many of the jokes are unfunny and the very sparse few that are, go on for over two minutes (the scene where Wiig tries to get the cop's attention is atrocious). Melissa McCarthy is also not funny whatsoever.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    doubleoego wrote:
    Speaking of SW, I think the original 3 films are shockingly overrated and over the course if all 6 films, it's saving grace really has been William's consistently majestic score.
    What don't you like about the original trilogy?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Agreed on Bridesmaids. A pretty shit film that got much more praise than it deserved because it starred women in the lead roles. Yes that's never really happened before in films like this, but being ground breaking doesn't make a funny film.

If it'd starred blokes then I seriously doubt it would've gotten the praise it did. It was nice to see Chris O'Dowd in a big film though.
    pachazo wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    What don't you like about the original trilogy?

I just think they're ridiculously overrated and find them to be somewhat boring for the most part.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Fair enough. They're not for everyone I suppose. I do agree with you that Williams' score was a major factor in their success.
    doubleoego wrote:
    but I think Justin Lin with an amazing script to work with could direct the hell out of a Bond movie.

Agreed, he would've been a good choice, but he's doing Bourne now so I doubt it'll happen :(
    pachazo wrote:
    Fair enough. They're not for everyone I suppose. I do agree with you that Williams' score was a major factor in their success.

There are still many things I like about them but Williams' scores takes the cake.
    doubleoego wrote:
    but I think Justin Lin with an amazing script to work with could direct the hell out of a Bond movie.

Agreed, he would've been a good choice, but he's doing Bourne now so I doubt it'll happen :(

True and I think Bourne this time around is really going to give Bond a run for it's money. Mendes really needs to step things up with the action because the action and fist fights and OTT stunts are all going to be there in full glory in Lin's Bourne movie and that's something the Bond movies, especially with Craig's physicality need to employ and exploit to the fullest.
    Fast 6's underground chase and fight scenes make SF's look poor and then the actual fist fights really showed the how lacking it was in SF. Mendes really needs to step his game up at least in this regard.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    Brian's prison fight in fast 6 is better than every fight scene to exist in a Bond movie since OHMSS and that makes me sad. Also, And I don't say this lightly but I think Justin Lin with an amazing script to work with could direct the hell out of a Bond movie.

I thought the prison fight scene was well choreographed, but really? I find much more entertainment in the stairwell fight in CR, the Slate fight in QoS, the cradle fight in GE, etc.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think it took real cojones for the Skyfall team to tone down the action. It was realistic and not too over the top for the most part. It would take even more cojones to sacrafice 70% action altogether to craft an excellent spy thriller much like From Russia With Love.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

At least in SW it made sense to call it a trilogy. But the Die Hard films, first a trilogy, then a tetralogy (wrongly labelled quadrilogy in the DVDs box set), then a whateverology (I guess a pentalogy)? Scream is also a trilogy? That they have the same characters and the same formula does not make it a trilogy, it should take more than this to qualify.
    @Ludovico, speaking of 'Scream,' I saw a 'Scream: Five Film Set' blu-ray at Target a while back, which had the first three 'Scream' films and two documentaries or something on it. Didn't even contain the fourth. Going off of trilogies, I'm tired of these big DVD/blu-ray 'COMPLETE ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX SET's that continuously come out, only to have a bigger edition release in six months to a year. Get a movie, then it comes out with a special edition later on, then an Ultimate Collector's Edition, then an Extended Edition. It's tiring and never ends.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

I thought the prison fight scene was well choreographed, but really? I find much more entertainment in the stairwell fight in CR, the Slate fight in QoS, the cradle fight in GE, etc.

They were good fights in their own right but with Bond, the standard needs to be better and when a series like the FF movies are besting Bond in close quarters fist fights, it's time for the Bond team to seriously check themselves.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,786
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

At least in SW it made sense to call it a trilogy. But the Die Hard films, first a trilogy, then a tetralogy (wrongly labelled quadrilogy in the DVDs box set), then a whateverology (I guess a pentalogy)? Scream is also a trilogy? That they have the same characters and the same formula does not make it a trilogy, it should take more than this to qualify.

Then with the literary Bond there's the Blofeld/SPECTRE Trilogy, even though TSWLM is loosely part of this series too as Bond relates a SPECTRE story to Vivienne Michel.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Murdock wrote:
    I think it took real cojones for the Skyfall team to tone down the action. It was realistic and not too over the top for the most part. It would take even more cojones to sacrafice 70% action altogether to craft an excellent spy thriller much like From Russia With Love.

That is a great point, @Murdock. I agree. Bond does not need to step up in fight scenes, be bigger and badder than Bourne (or anybody else), higher octane all the way. He is Bond. What he does should be sublimely done, but Bond films do not need to be a major "action and more action" flick. Skyfall had a good balance. I think Mendes will do some things differently; I sense he does not like to repeat himself. But so far I am trusting him to give priority to the script and the overall balance of the movie.
    I did think the fight scenes in Skyfall were disappointing compared to CR and QOS. The shootouts were brilliant though.
    I did think the fight scenes in Skyfall were disappointing compared to CR and QOS. The shootouts were brilliant though.

I absolutely agree 100%. I still wouldn't go as far as saying that the F&F series bests Bond in terms of fist fights. The Slate fight is probably my favorite hand-to-hand fight in the series, and while the F&F6 prison fight is good, it's nowhere near as good as that.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,816
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Then with the literary Bond there's the Blofeld/SPECTRE Trilogy, even though TSWLM is loosely part of this series too as Bond relates a SPECTRE story to Vivienne Michel.

I think the three novels where Blofeld is featured do qualify as trilogy as there is an arc that holds them together, but even then it is a fairly loose trilogy. Still, it qualifies more than say having the same living the same situation, going through the same plot three times. There should be an evolution in a trilogy, a transformation of the characters and situation, however subtle. Die Hard is not a whatever-logy, it's the same movie repeated ad infinitum. What's next, are the Porky's films a trilogy?
    Creasy47 wrote:

I absolutely agree 100%. I still wouldn't go as far as saying that the F&F series bests Bond in terms of fist fights. The Slate fight is probably my favorite hand-to-hand fight in the series, and while the F&F6 prison fight is good, it's nowhere near as good as that.

See, why I think Brian's fist fight is better is because the setup was similar in that just like Slate, Braga had a knife and not only that, there were another 2 goons Brian had to fight off at the same time and all of this was done in a confined space, where Brian employed CQC that was somewhat cleanly done but not as carelessly messy as some people here keep accusing Craig's fights as being and then the icing on the cake is, the fact that the scene was wonderfully shot; composition, choreography, length of the fight itself, the efficiency of Brian's offensive and defensive attacks, the editing and framing of the scene. As someone who's a big action fan, particularly of South East Asian movies and studied film techniques, for me, there isn't a Bond fist fight that actually tops the FF6 prison fight. It's no wonder why the new Bourne movie's hired Lin as director. He knows how to do action.

As for Bond himself, this is the 21st century, him walking around and smiling his way out of trouble isn't going to work and neither are those stodgy 1-2 potato punches. The world is a far more violent place than it's ever been. Basic training alone these days in armed forces teaches physical moves that are pretty damn impressive to observe. There's nothing wrong with being suave and debonaire and still being able to get gritty and kick the crap out if people. Either way, the fights in Bond 24 need to be better realised than they were in SF.

@doubleoego, great points, and I totally agree with how the fights should be in 'Bond 24.' On a side note, I just realized the other day that the last part of your name is 'ego,' I'm pretty sure I've said 'doubleogo' for a year or so now. Apologies!
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,786
    I hate the National Lottery (lotto) and all that it stands for. It is, in my view, a major bacillus of modern Britain, making the poor poorer and the rich richer. I'm ashamed of the fact that it was introduced by a Tory government nearly twenty years ago (and I rather cynically feel a cash-in coming on for 2014, too).

Who's for me? Anyone?
    Thanks @Creasy47. Hahaha I haven't realized but hey, I just go with it seeing as I know it's me yo're responding/referring to. It's all good, my friend.