Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I thought so! Just not brave enough to hazard that guess. Thanks, thelivingroyale.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Here is one for Christmas (and okay, it's corny and I don't know about controversial ...):

The best Christmas movie ever made is Miracle on 34th Street (the original version, black and white, with Natalie Wood as the little girl).

(and just realized I didn't have to double post: sorry!)
    Oh, here's one, though I don't think it'll cause too much of a fuss:

John Cazale was one of the greatest actors of all time, despite the limited number of films he appeared in before his very much untimely death.

That ain't controversial, that's an accurate statement about an undervalued actor.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Men Without Hats.

The safety dance if I remember right.

greatest game that will never be released.
  • MadMelMadMel Banned
    I belief there should be a flat tax. 10% for all. Why should those who achieve at the highest levels be punished for high achivement and creating wealth? Look what happened in London 2011, youth rioting.

It was like Harry bloody Brown.

Look at the reasons. Tax, tax and again tax. Let's scrap it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,691
    MadMel wrote:
    Why should those who achieve at the highest levels be punished for high achivement and creating wealth?
    Neanderthal Economics 101.
    Why should those who kill the most mammoths be punished for high achievement and creating a wealth of dead frozen beast bodies no one else will ever be able to use, thus depriving the rest of the community from access to sustenance?
    0013 wrote:
    Oh, here's one, though I don't think it'll cause too much of a fuss:

John Cazale was one of the greatest actors of all time, despite the limited number of films he appeared in before his very much untimely death.

That ain't controversial, that's an accurate statement about an undervalued actor.

I think Pacino (ever so slightly) was the better actor, but Cazale one-upped him every time they shared the screen in Godfather II; especially in the living room scene. Fredo slumped across the chair, a broken man after Michael disowns him is a haunting shot.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think Robert De Niro gave one of the worst acting performances ever as Frankenstein's monster in Brannah's film.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I think Robert De Niro gave one of the worst acting performances ever as Frankenstein's monster in Brannah's film.
    I don't think this is that controversial. But here's mine: this movie is underrated.

And here's another one: Coppola's Dracula is not only one of his worst movies, but one of the stupidest, most arrogant adaptations of the novel and Coppola understood zilch about the source material.
    Ludovico wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I don't think this is that controversial. But here's mine: this movie is underrated.

And here's another one: Coppola's Dracula is not only one of his worst movies, but one of the stupidest, most arrogant adaptations of the novel and Coppola understood zilch about the source material.

However the soundtrack is brilliant and so is Gary Oldman, he was major creepy.

I agree with @SaintMark.

Oldman rocks in the film, both as old Dracula and as the younger Prince Vlad. I'm also a fan of the film's cinematography and indeed, as Mark pointed out, Wojciech Kilar's score is just fabulous IMO. There are some pretty pretentious moments in the film, I agree, and I will always prefer Universal's Dracula starring Bela Lugosi to it.
    The score was brilliant, but I fail to find Oldman convincing as Dracula, especially not the young one. Old Dracula was more count Orlock in colour, wearing his grandmother's dress and wig. But it was the way the character was written. Coppola simply did not understand the novel.
    I find stigmata an underated film.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    The score was brilliant, but I fail to find Oldman convincing as Dracula, especially not the young one. Old Dracula was more count Orlock in colour, wearing his grandmother's dress and wig. But it was the way the character was written. Coppola simply did not understand the novel.

Oh, rather like Charles Gray's Blofeld in DAF, then?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't like Coppola's Dracula either. Oldman was a bland Dracula, imo. If you want a creepy Dracula performance, then I'd recommend watching the 1979 version of Nosferatu. Klaus Kinski is nothing less than skin crawlingly creepy in that one. I consider Lugosi, Palance, Kinski & Lee to be the best Draculas.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,805
    I don't like Coppola's Dracula either. Oldman was a bland Dracula, imo. If you want a creepy Dracula performance, then I'd recommend watching the 1979 version of Nosferatu. Klaus Kinski is nothing less than skin crawlingly creepy in that one. I consider Lugosi, Palance, Kinski & Lee to be the best Draculas.

What about the BBC version of Dracula starring none other than Louis Jourdan in the lead role.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote:

What about the BBC version of Dracula starring none other than Louis Jourdan in the lead role.

That's not one of my favourites, also.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Sadly, I've never seen it. I suppose it's available on DVD, then? I heard it was meant to be good. It meant that Louis Jourdan had played a villain in Columbo (Paul Gerard), had played Dracula and had played a Bond villain in Octopussy. Quite a triple record for one (brilliant) actor.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    I believe the new world order is real and that were all descendants from the 11 ORIGINAL illuminati bloodlines. all you have to do is go online, and to your local library and play a little detective and youc an find out that what is going on is REALLY NOT what it seems. If you'd like to find out more just pm me, as I know its controversial indeed and dont want to clog the thread.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 23,547
    Bradford4 wrote:
    I believe the new world order is real and that were all descendants from the 11 ORIGINAL illuminati bloodlines. all you have to do is go online, and to your local library and play a little detective and youc an find out that what is going on is REALLY NOT what it seems. If you'd like to find out more just pm me, as I know its controversial indeed and dont want to clog the thread.

conan-rofl.gif

Dragonpol wrote:

How does Max Schreck strike you then, I have both Nosferatu movies but find I am more drawn to the B/W silent one even if the Kinski version is filmed for parts in the Netherlands. And Kinski was always a bit of an oddball and scary character in most of his movies so his work in Nosferatu was not such a stretch for him. ;)

DarthDimi wrote:
    Bradford4 wrote:

conan-rofl.gif

Brilliant @Dimi.

Although this is more appropriate:

go-crazy-o.gif

:D
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

How does Max Schreck strike you then, I have both Nosferatu movies but find I am more drawn to the B/W silent one even if the Kinski version is filmed for parts in the Netherlands. And Kinski was always a bit of an oddball and scary character in most of his movies so his work in Nosferatu was not such a stretch for him. ;)

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I haven't watched the original 1922 Nosferatu.

I rather like the 1922 Nosferatu but of course it is a silent movie and as such it will repel many people today. The Kinski version is a highly recommendable alternative I must admit.

My favourite Dracula is, and shall always be, Lugosi, though in truth I also like Oldman.

Say, how about Frank Langella? He was adequate IMO, but then so was Jordan. I quite like Christopher Lee as Dracula. I have seen others in the part too, including Udo Kier in that weird Penthouse version.
    I'd forgotten about Langella. I'd rate him higher than Oldman and Jordan, but lower that Lugosi, Kinski, Palance & Lee. I've not seen Udo Kier as Dracula, and don't get me started on Gerard Butler & Stephen Billington. Awful springs to mind.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Sadly, I've never seen it. I suppose it's available on DVD, then? I heard it was meant to be good. It meant that Louis Jourdan had played a villain in Columbo (Paul Gerard), had played Dracula and had played a Bond villain in Octopussy. Quite a triple record for one (brilliant) actor.

It is an okay adaptation, closer to the book but nothing outstanding. There are also questionable changes. Jourdan I thought was not a good Dracula: he was a good villain, but he was not Dracula, who is supposed to be feral and quickly lose his veneer of civility. Like too many of them, Jourdan's Dracula talks too much. He has the wrong look too. The best so far, in terms of both appearance and presence, is Christopher Lee.

If they ever want to make a true great AND faithful adaptation of the novel, I'd suggest Mark Gatiss as scriptwriter and maybe even director. I have seen his work on M.R. James's The Tractate Middoth tonight and he knows his horror stuff.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I haven't watched the original 1922 Nosferatu.

Nothing to be ashamed of, as we all have films we'd get killed for not having seen by peers. The important thing is that you want to see it.
  • Bradford4 wrote:

9E3Iuqmv.gif

You sure are lucky the Illuminati can't resist dropping little hints and don't mind you yakking about their evil plots online. Do you think Cubby Broccoli was involved with the Illuminati? He'd almost have to be to get that kind of insider knowledge for SPECTRE, wouldn't you say (this goes for MGW and Barbara and Quantum by extension, of course).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2013 Posts: 16,330
    Bradford4 wrote:

What are you on mate, are you an alien? :p