Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

The Stones and the Beatles are okay, the better band was The Who.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Here's my controversial opinion:
    I can't see why people feel the need to celebrate New Year. I mean, what's to celebrate?

December 31st ---> January 1st

Great, so because our calendar, an exceptionally artificial construct, switches to a new cycle, people feel the need to booze up, spend troublesome amounts of money on rubbish and nearly burn down their houses through irresponsible use of candles, fireworks and other crazy stuff.

If animals could talk, they'd be laughing at us for going primeval over something so meaningless, so silly and brainless as the logical progression of our calender.

Now, does this mean that I am troubled by the fact that people use this day to wish each other the very best and to come up with a good new year's resolution? No, of course not. I think it's always good to have people wishing each other all the best in the world. I merely fail to see any cause for celebration. There's nothing to celebrate about New Year IMO.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The beach boys are the only music group that really take me to this illuminated utopia that gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling of innocence and genuine inner joy.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'd say that London Calling is one of the best albums ever period. The Clash and The Ramones are the best punk bands, nobody else even comes close imo. I do like The Sex Pistols though (best band name ever for one thing) and Greenday are alright.

@SaintMark Yeah, The Who are brilliant. My Generation is one of my favourite songs.

@doubleoego Doctor Who is well written, brilliantly acted and enjoyable to watch. Plus it's had some really good stories, especially since Moffat took over. Much better than most of other stuff on TV right now.

I think part of the reason it does so well is because it's a good bit of escapism and there isn't much of that any more, with everything trying to be as realistic and gritty as possible. This also gives it a lot of longevity, it could potentially go on forever (like Bond).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The appeal of Doctor Who for many is because it's different to everything else. There is nothing like it and with it's roots in the 1960's it really shouldn't be running today. As it is, it only makes it stand apart even more.
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    I think children should be SEEN, and not HEARD. I train my children well to follow in a stoic fashion. And I am very right wing, very very right wing and i see how cruel and criminal children can be these days and I will NOT raise my own this way.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote:
    I don't get the fascination with the Dr. Who series at all; even more baffling is that so many yanks love it.
    I love it because of two things: Tennent & Eccleston. :)>-

Hitchcock = Kubrick in that their last films both sucked.
    The final episode of The Prisoner was creative genius.
    The live action Speed Racer movie ROCKED!
    Batman & Robin was actually funnier than the 60's TV series!
    James Kirk could beat the crap out of Steve Austin.
    Peter O'Toole's best movie was NOT Lawrence Of Arabia; it was The Stuntman.
    Margaret Thatcher & Ronald Reagan should have gotten mar.... ooops... that may fall into political... nevermind.
  • chrisisall wrote:

I only hope you mean the 6 Million Dollar Man and not Stone Cold.
    chrisisall wrote:

I only hope you mean the 6 Million Dollar Man and not Stone Cold.
    Oh come on, of COURSE. Even CHUCK can beat Stone Cold.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think Adele (Skyfall aside) is awful. Mediocre singer who's written two albums of the same, boring, "I'm not over you" trash. Only to get back with the guy she spent so much time bitching about. Rarely has there been someone so undeserving of a Grammy award. I remember that night I was fuming when Bon Iver lost twice to her and Foo Fighters didn't get Album of the Year. On top of that, her lyrics are TERRIBLE.

Neil Peart isn't the best drummer of all time. He's great, he's ONE OF the best, but there are many more who I would rank above him. In a similar vein, Ringo is, behind only John Bonham himself, the best drummer ever.

The Godfather, Part III is a bad Godfather film. It is a great film in its' own right.

Post of the Year on Adele - I concur - a moaning cow, to put it mildly.
    The moaning cow did deliver the best and only oscarworthy song for the Bond franchise in recent history, the absence of DA probably helped too.
    SaintMark wrote:
    The moaning cow did deliver the best and only oscarworthy song for the Bond franchise in recent history, the absence of DA probably helped too.
    Dissing Adele, dissing Arnold... this thread has gone so wrong...
    SaintMark wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean Skyfall - I actually liked it! But that's the only one, I'm afraid!
    I loved David Arnolds first attempt at Bond music "shaken & stirred", and was responsible for the recordshop selling quite a few copies. I did order it and listened to it with the owner of teh shop, who liked it as well and ordered a copy for himself which he played in the store. Which led to his biggest selling movie music cd. But for me the lightning struck only once when it comes to music and DA.

I like to buy 2nd hand soundtrack cd's and are more often pleasantly surprised than let down. That said most of them are from last century easily.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    I can't see why people feel the need to celebrate New Year. I mean, what's to celebrate?

When you put it like that it does seem pointless but it's a nice excuse to have parties and get drunk so I'm fine with it.
    Lager should be made illegal in the UK and heroin decriminalized.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:
    Lager should be made illegal in the UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zStwUCu_Prw

Seriously though, why?!
    Ludovico wrote:

Seriously though, why?!

Because lager is destroying British civilization and beer culture. It contributes to binge drinking and the alcohol problem this country has. On the whole, it turned a nation of drinkers into a nation of drunkards. Heroin cannot be any worse, even if it was trying and while its level of toxicity is higher (although not by all that much) it was much more marginally consumed in the UK when it was legal than lager is now.

Of course, I am exaggerating, but lager is awful. And you wanted a controversial opinion. If pot, crack, cocaine, opium, what have you are illegal, so should lager be, at least.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2013 Posts: 4,442
    When in March the Clock be 1hr forward, then i think in October there should not turn in back 1hr (From 03.00 AM to 02.00 AM) but 1hr forward again (02.00 AM to 03.00 Am). For example now it wil turn Skyfall already around 16.20 with that move next year that be 18.20 (Because of not turn it back it already be 17.20 + 1hr forward). Then March 2015 there should turn in back for 2 hr (04.00 AM to 02.00 AM) insteed of 1hr to get the summer time as we know now. This mean we get in wintertime 1 extra 1hr less, but we have longer daylight and that 1hr les we get back in summer.
  • @Ludovico Personally I enjoy having a couple of pints or relaxing with a few cans while at home. To each his own I suppose.

Seems like you have less a problem with lager and more of a problem with people getting pissed, which I think is fine every now and again. Yeah there are some people that drink far too much but the rest of us shouldn't be punished for it.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Seriously though, why?!

Because lager is destroying British civilization and beer culture. It contributes to binge drinking and the alcohol problem this country has. On the whole, it turned a nation of drinkers into a nation of drunkards. Heroin cannot be any worse, even if it was trying and while its level of toxicity is higher (although not by all that much) it was much more marginally consumed in the UK when it was legal than lager is now.

Of course, I am exaggerating, but lager is awful. And you wanted a controversial opinion. If pot, crack, cocaine, opium, what have you are illegal, so should lager be, at least.

You sound like Ian Fleming going on about tea there, @Ludovico. As a tee-totaller, I agree with your lager ban.
    @Ludovico Personally I enjoy having a couple of pints or relaxing with a few cans while at home. To each his own I suppose.

Seems like you have less a problem with lager and more of a problem with people getting pissed, which I think is fine every now and again. Yeah there are some people that drink far too much but the rest of us shouldn't be punished for it.

Oh I LOVE beer, do not get me wrong. But the lager drunk in this country is just bad stuff. I am fiercely into real ales. You'll be punished when you have no real ales. Lagers are just foreign invaders and parasites of British culture.
    Ludovico wrote:
    @Ludovico Personally I enjoy having a couple of pints or relaxing with a few cans while at home. To each his own I suppose.

Oh I LOVE beer, do not get me wrong. But the lager drunk in this country is just bad stuff. I am fiercely into real ales. You'll be punished when you have no real ales. Lagers are just foreign invaders and parasites of British culture.

I'm no expert, but Amen to that, brother.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Seriously though, why?!

You sound like Ian Fleming going on about tea there, @Ludovico. As a tee-totaller, I agree with your lager ban.

And I absolutely love tea, actually. Oh, here is a really controversial thing here: adding milk to tea is barbaric. Milk is barbaric to begin with, it is the stuff of infants and primitives, uncivilized people really. Who drunk milk? Alex in A Clockwork Orange, that's who. And for the record, I love a good glass of milk, but this is my savage part that does. I would never, ever spoil tea with milk.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Seriously though, why?!

And I absolutely love tea, actually. Oh, here is a really controversial thing here: adding milk to tea is barbaric. Milk is barbaric to begin with, it is the stuff of infants and primitives, uncivilized people really. Who drunk milk? Alex in A Clockwork Orange, that's who. And for the record, I love a good glass of milk, but this is my savage part that does. I would never, ever spoil tea with milk.

No, that was milk plus. I love tea, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    DarthDimi wrote:

December 31st ---> January 1st

Great, so because our calendar, an exceptionally artificial construct, switches to a new cycle, people feel the need to booze up, spend troublesome amounts of money on rubbish and nearly burn down their houses through irresponsible use of candles, fireworks and other crazy stuff.

If animals could talk, they'd be laughing at us for going primeval over something so meaningless, so silly and brainless as the logical progression of our calender.

Now, does this mean that I am troubled by the fact that people use this day to wish each other the very best and to come up with a good new year's resolution? No, of course not. I think it's always good to have people wishing each other all the best in the world. I merely fail to see any cause for celebration. There's nothing to celebrate about New Year IMO.

I quite agree, @Dimi. I fail to see why many things are celebrated, like birthdays and all that. Too often do people "celebrate" just to get drunk and to do indubitably reckless things that they'll just regret in the morning, a behavior I fail to see any purpose or logic in. Birthdays become less about you becoming another year older (or wiser), and more about how much whiskey you can swig down against your mates. The Fourth of July is no longer a celebration of America's fight for sovereignty over their British rulers or noting the realization that the signers of the Declaration would have been killed for treason if the war was lost. Instead it's just an opportunity to pop off superficial fireworks and once again drink mindlessly until the night is long and your blood alcohol level high. Celebrations don't truly celebrate anything any more, do they? It isn't about rejoicing in the special day the calendar has landed on, and just serves as another time to do stupid things that serve no greater purpose or meaning. Such is why I have never been, and never will be a partier/drinker/imbecile.

Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Seriously though, why?!

No, that was milk plus. I love tea, too.

I agree in regards to the barbarianism posed by milk. I am lactose intolerant, after all. ;)
    Milk plus is still milk. Alex didn't drink tea plus. He drank tea at breakfast, with lots of sugar.
    I think controversial opinions are pretty much culturally bounded. In my country, when I claim that I'm an atheist, that I don't like Latin music (like salsa) and that I like country instead, when I say I don't believe Falkland Islands must be owned by Argentina, or when I defend the rational choice theory in Political Science, I am hugely controversial!
    0013 wrote:
    I don't like Latin music (like salsa)
    We can dance if we want to
    We can leave your friends behind
    'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
    Well they're no friends of mine

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/