It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

Great games today, though I'm a little worried about Italy... thought they'd finish at the top of the group.
    France is having a fantastic run so far though. I can't believe Benzema got cheated out of yet another goal. -_-
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I wanted Italy to do better. France is steaming along.
    Roy's team selection for our final group game against Costa Rica:

10442933_10204095031040016_4671224879992990702_n.jpg

:D

No that's the pic of englands past 2 games........ :))
    jackdagger wrote:
    Great games today, though I'm a little worried about Italy... thought they'd finish at the top of the group.
    France is having a fantastic run so far though. I can't believe Benzema got cheated out of yet another goal. -_-

Not cheated, the referee had blown his whistle and it was heard on the bench as they were already congratulating each other.

Not quite sure what Argentina is doing but Iran seems to be defending with 11 people. :D

What a surprise.
    Apologies to the fans of Iran, they are messing with the fellows from South America in a way nobody would have expected.

Funny match to watch.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    So if Germany later doesn't make a nice match, France will end up as the most convincing team so far, possibly with Holland ?! Hm, pressure, pressure..
    So if Germany later doesn't make a nice match, France will end up as the most convincing team so far, possibly with Holland ?! Hm, pressure, pressure..

I would be surprised if Germany did not deliver a solid performance, for me the most solid performing team has been Chili up till now.

• But Chili doesn't play the Euro 2016 in France, if France ends this world cup as the most convincing European team even without winning it, it will again have much, much pressure for this Euro :)
    France without Pogba is a shedload better than with him was proved in the match against Swiss.

And the Dutch saying is when you play the match against Germany it lasts 90 minutes and extra time and at the end the Germans win.

Germany has always been a powerful football nation and they do not seem to have any big star like Sweden, Portugal, the Netherlands rely upon. Just a very strong collective.
    It is a Messi goal in a messy match.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Argentina's offense was held hostage by Iran for 90 minutes, but Argentina managed to escape with a goal in extra time.
    Hate it when this happens, especially when the team that scores really didn't deserve to come away with the points. On the bright side, Argentina haven't looked impressive and should go out quickly with their stagnant, boring football.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,505
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Hate it when this happens, especially when the team that scores really didn't deserve to come away with the points. On the bright side, Argentina haven't looked impressive and should go out quickly with their stagnant, boring football.

So Iran are worthy winners because they play with ten players behind the ball for 90 minutes? And Argentina are boring because they are not able to break through until the end? There were two teams on the pitch today, but only one of them tried to win... Argentina didn't impress, but don't tell me this was morally unjust. Far from it! I guess Iran are allowed to play cynical football as underdogs, but that doesn't make them worthy winners...
    jobo wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

So Iran are worthy winners because they play with ten players behind the ball for 90 minutes? And Argentina are boring because they are not able to break through until the end? There were two teams on the pitch today, but only one of them tried to win... Argentina didn't impress, but don't tell me this was morally unjust. Far from it! I guess Iran are allowed to play cynical football as underdogs, but that doesn't make them worthy winners...

Well put Jobo but that does not take away that Iran had perhaps better chances to score a goal and more of them.

And I was disappointed nonetheless in the Argentinian performance, they did coast along more than putting in a real effort, Iran took its limitations and ran with it.

But I agree that I'd rather see Argentina in the next round than the anti-football of Iran.
    jobo wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

If you had read what I had written carefully, then you will find that nowhere did I mention that Iran deserved to win either, only that Argentina did not deserve the pointS (pluralisation implies the presence of a quantity greater than one). I feel that a draw would have been a fair outcome, as Argentina have been nowhere near a great team thus far in the tournament, and have needed a lot of luck to gain these 6 points.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 7,505
    Argentina have been underwhelming so far to say the least. No doubt. The quality of the players is superb, but there's been no visible cohesion between them so far. Messi keeps getting isolated in a jungle of defenders, and with him immobilised it seems Argentina have no other plan. Aguero has been especially dissapointing so far, and Higuain was also terrible today.

But we have to remember: It's far simpler to play attacking football with space. And that is what Argentina will eventually get against teams that don't park the bus in the knockout stages. And maybe it's a good sign they don't impress in the group stage. Few world cup winners have done that, as a matter of fact...
    jobo wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Well since they were denied an absolutely clear penalty kick they at least would worth being even.
    Argentina so far is an utter disappointment , there is no talking around it!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Germany vs. Ghana at a draw in 2nd half now ... bit surprised at that.
  • RC7RC7
    It still fascinates me that people think certain teams have a god given right to 'play' their game. It's a competitive sport and you do whatever it takes to win. If that means putting 10 men behind the ball, so be it.
    RC7 wrote:
    It still fascinates me that people think certain teams have a god given right to 'play' their game. It's a competitive sport and you do whatever it takes to win. If that means putting 10 men behind the ball, so be it.

I have no problem with Iran putting ten men behind the ball. I do react however when Argentina gets blamed for playing boring in the same game, and Iran not.
    Germany vs. Ghana at a draw in 2nd half now ... bit surprised at that.

Not particularly. Ghana has a strong defence with a lot of hard working and physically astute players.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    jobo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

I have no problem with Iran putting ten men behind the ball. I do react however when Argentina gets blamed for playing boring in the same game, and Iran not.

Quite simply, Iran were playing to a level way above their world ranking and Argentina way below it.

Germany look to have blown this match. I am really upset... ;-)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    Now this is getting interesting...
    edited June 2014 Posts: 2,629
    I thought Germany was world beaters. Ghana is leading 2-1.

Good news for the US. Of course, they still have to win tomorrow.

I'm liking this World Cup. Lots of upsets and very dramatic games.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Football is really the sport of momentum. Those who find it boring need more illumination :)
    Well that didn't last long! 2-2.
    2-2 now. This has been a crazy second half.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Quite simply, Iran were playing to a level way above their world ranking and Argentina way below it.

Exactly. As a Man Utd fan I've witnessed many games over the last couple of decades where we've faced teams who have attempted to stifle us. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not. We always got on with the job, unlike Arsene Wenger who would complain about Arsenal not being able to play 'their' game. You adapt or you fail. Probably why Wenger won 3 titles and Fergie 11 during that period. Argentina should have expected that from Iran, it was obvious to every one of us and you can't always rely on your star man to drag you out of the shit. You need a plan B, C and D.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Exactly. As a Man Utd fan I've witnessed many games over the last couple of decades where we've faced teams who have attempted to stifle us. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not. We always got on with the job, unlike Arsene Wenger who would complain about Arsenal not being able to play 'their' game. You adapt or you fail. Probably why Wenger won 3 titles and Fergie 11 during that period. Argentina should have expected that from Iran, it was obvious to every one of us and you can't always rely on your star man to drag you out of the shit. You need a plan B, C and D.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

This discussion has been closed.