It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• Hmmm.. IMO on the contrary Diego Costa as an attacker who stays like Fred was quite a change for Spain from their winning formula. Spain won lots of matches with no real attackers.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Other teams have caught up with Spain over the past couple of years, and clearly they have now overtaken them. All eras must eventually come to an end.

By the way, bringing on Torres when you desperately need to score a couple of goals is like the fire brigade attempting to extinguish a burning house with a water pistol.
  • Well, keep in mind this year's Champions League final was Madrid vs Madrid though !
    Well, keep in mind this year's Champions League final was Madrid vs Madrid though !

In which a Portugese, a Welshman and a Brazilian scored 3 of Real's goals? ;-)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Hmmm.. IMO on the contrary Diego Costa as an attacker who stays like Fred was quite a change for Spain from their winning formula. Spain won lots of matches with no real attackers.

But considering that basically the same ten players play behind him in the same way, is it that much of a change? Spain have used a new striker, but have they in reality used him any differently?

A minor change could at least have been to go from a double pivote to a 4-3-3 like they mostly did in qualifying... There are a lot more young talent knocking on the door too...

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    From my best World Cup ever to the worst! That's life. :(

Just remember we are still Champions...

Spain_national_football_team_Euro_2012_trophy_03.jpg

See you in Euro'16 :-h

(By the way, when any other team would win two Euros and one World Cup in a row, remember Spain...)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Spain out?! Well, there you go. I would have never guessed that going into this.
    10310654_10203462123530441_8104752194280269162_n.jpg

;-)
  • jobo wrote:
    But considering that basically the same ten players play behind him in the same way, is it that much of a change? Spain have used a new striker, but have they in reality used him any differently?
    Well their winning formula was to have almost no pure striker, Torres only entered late usually etc. Here in this World Cup Spain played at ten, the striker Diego Da Costa did absolutely nothing I can remember of, he tried to play lower as they did before, but he was a pure striker, useless otherwise. They had to send him long balls, totally different play from their usual play. When they came back at the end to their usual system, the other team only had to defend like mad and it was too late.

They will say the team is too old and full of players who don't have any more strength of will. But IMO the lowest of this team was their newest member... It might be difficult to be the "most hated player" of Brazil.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Spain is the first, actually second country out after Cameroon.

No Ronaldo vs. the US. This could be glorious.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    jobo wrote:
    Well their winning formula was to have almost no pure striker, Torres only entered late usually etc. Here in this World Cup Spain played at ten, the striker Diego Da Costa did absolutely nothing I can remember of, he tried to play lower as they did before, but he was a pure striker, useless otherwise. They had to send him long balls, totally different play from their usual play. When they came back at the end to their usual system, the other team only had to defend like mad and it was too late.

They will say the team is too old and full of players who don't have any more strength of will. But IMO the lowest of this team was their newest member... It might be difficult to be the "most hated player" of Brazil.

That was their winning formula in 2012 yes, in 2010 though they consistently used Villa, or in some cases Torres, up front. IMO Spain's biggest problem this year, apart from their absolutely horrible defence obviously, was lack of fluidity in midfield. The double pivote has to take some of the blaim for that I think. Spain has actually evolved quite a bit through the years, but in this World Cup they basically went back to the same eleven and formula from 2010. Only difference was that the striker and right back from the last campaign were no longer of the same level, so they had to find replacements...
    Kerim wrote:
    Spain is the first, actually second country out after Cameroon.

No Ronaldo vs. the US. This could be glorious.

After the Chili game Spain & Australia were out, Cameroon were the third after they met Croatia some time later.

Spain disappointing me a lot and I had hoped that the game against Orange had been just a fluke, last night they were playing better but still shockingly poor. If Chili would have had opportunistic player like Robben & van Persie they would have been punished more brutally than 2-0.

And Cameroon, what a bunch of clowns, there is a team that was just a poule filler and there must have been more talented teams to do what they did last night, a disgrace.
    All right, somebody has to say it :

I guess Spain found Chile to be too spicy (rimshot)

(Ducks)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I found them to be a gas myself.

;-)

=)) That is genius Willy!!! :))
    RogueAgent wrote:

;-)

=)) That is genius Willy!!! :))

Thanks. I'd love to take credit for coming up with that. Found it on Facebook last night. Suffice to say, it received rather a lot of likes. ;-)
  • 3-0 for Uruguay is 48/1 on my betting site. I put 2 Euros :)
    No predictions from me for England game, we are either good enough or we are not. hope its the former, good luck to the lads.
  • Who told the English players to look down in the short video clip introducing them ? They're the only ones to do that it seems ! Devil is in the detail :)
    Dire from England. Absolutely terrible.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    England need to step up a few gears and wake up! Occured to me there is no leader in this England team, they need some one to fire them up, there is talent in this team.
    @Suivez_ce_parachute confidence is a major issue for England players at international level.

50mins England reverted to default! look like they have given up already.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The English do know iit's a world championship that's going on right?
    Get in COME ON ENGLAND!
    Thank **** for that!
    Great flick on from Gerrard there for his team mate...
    Just not good enough! Will say i thought Cahill was very good.

Had no expectations, and Sturridges form deserted him. By woy!
    Four years on from South Africa and we've made no progress whatsoever.Absolutely depressing. English football stands still whilst everyone else moves on.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Should've brought Lambert on a lot earlier.
    They show moments of greatness, but lack the desire to actually win. As if they're waiting for it to happen.
    I'll never give them up. But wish they would try harder. As Willy said, everyone else moves on.
    COME ON ENGLAND!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    I think it's time for a severe shake up, not just in English football, but also in the Premier League. There quite clearly needs to be a minimum amount of English players you can have on the field at the time in the Premier League (I propose 6 or 7). Then you won't get poisonous, cheating, corrupt teams like Chelsea wasting good English talent on the bench and in the reserves because they're squandering money on big foreign players. You can tell the players want to win, but that makes me come to the conclusion, we simply aren't that good. I don't know how these players play so well for their clubs and not for their country, especially when they play with or against these guys every single week in the Premier League.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Trying to play more expansive did not work, would only work if we had a decent defensive midfielder and we certainly don't have a good playmaker. irony is under Cappello we would probably have two draws and and chance to progress playing more negatively. I don't buy into this oh England played well and lost bull! I want us to win irrespective of how we played. Either way with current squad were never going to win the tournment. On reflection, Rooney should have played up top.

@ Sammm04 totally agree, until that happens national team Will suffer.

P.S. English mentality needs to change, need to be more ruthless and efficient. Some of the interviews i have seen crikey! Media has alot to answer for as also journalists complaining about things there over saturation causes. Tournament like this and echoing what someone else said, this is a world cup. Should be siege mentality, win at all costs none of the floral rubbish that seems to go along with the England team.
This discussion has been closed.