It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I'm reading the US-Ghana updates on Yahoo; I wish I could view these games somehow. Anyway, an early score is excellent! Ghana seems to be offsides a lot at the moment.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited June 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Not this time Ghana!

USA! USA! USA!
    If USA can kick out Portugal of this tournament they'd make me a very happy man! And they don't need much more than a draw in their next game against them to do it, considering Portugal's terrible goal difference. Go USA!

Btw I'm surprised Ronaldo didn't blame Blatter for Portugal's loss yesterday...
  • RC7RC7
    I didn't see much in the USA's game aside from tenacity, which can come in handy in a season long cup competition, but in a WC scenario I'm not entirely sure it's sustainable. Portugal are a far better team, despite their result yesterday. That said, I would not be surprised if that tenacity gets USA out of the group. Personally, I'd rather see Portugal click as they have the ability to entertain.
    Congrats BELGIUM, that goalkeeper of Algeria reminded me of the US goalie.

The US won but left me puzzled, great defense but they did not show too much football, yet. Ghana on the other hand as creative and fun to watch did fail to take the US out so they are the ones to blame for losing.
    Am I the only one who finds the fact that Brazilians refuse to stop singing their national anthem, a little bit rude. It's like they're saying "our anthem and our country is more important than yours" and they don't just do this at home, they do it everywhere. Very disrespectful in my opinion. That's just me though.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Am I the only one who finds the fact that Brazilians refuse to stop singing their national anthem, a little bit rude. It's like they're saying "our anthem and our country is more important than yours" and they don't just do this at home, they do it everywhere. Very disrespectful in my opinion. That's just me though.

Nothing wrong with a bit of passion.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Nothing wrong with a bit of passion.

Yeah, but there is such a thing as too much passion, it's like when you hear this stuff about the people rioting if Brazil lose or don't win the World Cup. That's pathetic in my opinion, rioting because your team loses is the worst kind of sore losing. It also hurts others and damages the reputation of your people, and Brazilian fans should be happy enough with 5 bloody world cups anyway. To be honest they don't need another one for a long time. You don't see England and Holland fans complaining no matter how much they lose big matches and world cup finals. This overexpectation and arrogance by the Brazilian fans will damage the team at some point, and gladly, getting sick of the media acting like they are the best team since Brazil in 1970, they aren't actually even playing that well.

this Brasil team does not live up to his reputation.

As for the large expectations I am fine with that, and most of the rioting has to do with the government spending such an obscene amount of money on football stadions while there a plenty of social problems in Brasil. It see,s to me the give-them-bread-and-games does not seem to work. And perhaps rightly.

And most country have had their share of rioting due to football. Some years ago some Dutch funnymen decided to hang up a large sign saying Die Weltmeister grussen euch before they had actually played Spain. But a lot of German shoppers were clearly not amused and returned home immediately and thus costing the Dutch economy that Saturday a lot of money. And quite a few shopkeepers had murderous moods that Day.
    Just a funny story about passion and football.
    Have to say i think Rooney NEEDS to be in the middle and up front against Uruguay on thursday once and for all or else it is going to be why did Roy play him out on the left?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Have to say i think Rooney NEEDS to be in the middle and up front against Uruguay on thursday once and for all or else it is going to be why did Roy play him out on the left?

Can't understand why he played him on the left. Can only assume Roy thought he would protect Leighton Baines down the left. That worked out well(!)

Either play Rooney at no. 10 or leave him on the bench.
    Uruguay will be a beast to play and you need to be at your best that day as they want to win to or face an early exit themselves.

I put my money on Uruguay and Italy to continue. But I expected Holland to be out too, and look how they are doing, so what do I know. :D
    RogueAgent wrote:

Can't understand why he played him on the left. Can only assume Roy thought he would protect Leighton Baines down the left. That worked out well(!)

Either play Rooney at no. 10 or leave him on the bench.

Thursday could be a real car crash of a match? X_X
  • Well it seems that if you want to see a Brazilian team with world class attack, you should wait for next year's Paris Saint-Germain team :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited June 2014 Posts: 7,973
    Well I think they've got their moments, but Mexico's got the passion for sure. They play fast, I think it's rather entertaining, except for the finishing touch, on both sides..

edit: and Congrats Darth on the red devils!

edit2: crikey what a keeper the Mexicans have!
    Ochoa really has had an excellent World Cup thus far. It seems Mexico have the upper hand over Croatia at the moment, and they may even finish 1st, but Brazil will very likely beat Cameroon badly, so it's probably still Brazil's group to lose.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Ah, did you know the Mexican goalkeeper, who played in a French team this year, said he would wait for after the World Cup to start to negotiate his new salary elsewhere ? :) It turns out to be a good bet !
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited June 2014 Posts: 7,973
    wow that was close! and yes, very good bet!

edit: fantasticly played! Mexico, well done! 0-0

and I'm off to bed. goodnight peeps!
    Really does show that Brazil aren't actually as great as the media makes them out to be. I really don't think that this team would beat Holland, Spain or Chile. Really overrated.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I remember the fantastic Brazil teams of the past that threw caution to the wind and played with such attacking flair. They had style and panache.

Sadly, Brazil of the last 12 years have been really quite dull and ordinary at times. Even their star player, Naymar, isn't all that great.
    Sammm04 wrote:

You are not alone in thinking this is rude. It is rather.
    Russia 1, So. Korea 1.
    Anybody surprised? I was, but then I have not been following the teams closely this year.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    No. I actually picked that as the final result and score.

Mexico has been impressive in the WC considering they stunk up the CONCACAF tournament last year and had to beat New Zealand just to get in.
    Russia 1, So. Korea 1.
    Anybody surprised? I was, but then I have not been following the teams closely this year.

I did not bother to watch, the highlights lasted a minute and even that was time badly spend.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I remember the fantastic Brazil teams of the past that threw caution to the wind and played with such attacking flair. They had style and panache.

Sadly, Brazil of the last 12 years have been really quite dull and ordinary at times. Even their star player, Naymar, isn't all that great.

He's very good at escaping cautions :-)
    AAAAHHHH! Martins Indi's eyes are scaring me again!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    The Australians finally demonstrated for the dutch how you actually score from proper attacking play and not only capitalize on defensive mistakes. Hopefully Holland will learn some tricks and actually play some good football from now on...
    You won't see a better goal than Tim Cahill's all tournament. An absolute worldy. Take a bow son, take a bow.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote:
    The Australians finally demonstrated for the dutch how you actually score from proper attacking play and not only capitalize on defensive mistakes. Hopefully Holland will learn some tricks and actually play some good football from now on...

Is that bitterness I sense?
    RC7 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Is that bitterness I sense?

Not really. I'm just pointing out, again, that Hollands performance against Spain was very overrated, and that the legacy of Johan Cruyff is not enough to make a team entertaining. When the Australians are teaching them a lesson in passing football, people should start to take the hint...
This discussion has been closed.