It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Thought Rooney was good tonight. Gerrard was fucking bollocks and shouldn't have played either game.
    RC7 wrote:
    Thought Rooney was good tonight. Gerrard was fucking bollocks and shouldn't have played either game.

Echo your opinion thought that myself, his passing was ok at times though a liability also. Truth is we don't have any decent midfielders worse i have seen since the seventies lol
    It's coming home! It's coming home! It's coming! England's coming home!!! If their are any England fans out there who think we still deserve to go through the group stage? They are simply deluded!

Needing 3 results to go our way? Simply embarrassing! :-q
    Listening to Waddle, Murphy and Mills have a right old moan on 5Live. Yeah, cos you were all great when you played for England eh lads....
    @ WillyGalore You should listen to TalkSport Collymore has lost the plot though he talks sense. Redknapp for England lol
  • Sammm04 wrote:
    You can tell the players want to win, but that makes me come to the conclusion, we simply aren't that good. I don't know how these players play so well for their clubs and not for their country, especially when they play with or against these guys every single week in the Premier League.

Hm, in the Premiere League this year, Liverpool could be 2nd with 50 goals against them. You have to look at around the 10th rank in the French league to find such things, and this is even after the new Paris Saint Germain who is scoring a lot with Ibrahimovic and Cavani who can handle defence.

The Premier League does not prepare you to play against a team that can defend, simple as that !

Samir Nasri, a French offensive midfielder from Premier League Champion Manchester City, is not even in the French national team. We know that to be a good attacker in the Premier League is not that hard :)
    Sammm04 wrote:
    You can tell the players want to win, but that makes me come to the conclusion, we simply aren't that good. I don't know how these players play so well for their clubs and not for their country, especially when they play with or against these guys every single week in the Premier League.

Hm, in the Premiere League this year, Liverpool could be 2nd with 50 goals against them. You have to look at around the 10th rank in the French league to find such things, and this is even after the new Paris Saint Germain who is scoring a lot with Ibrahimovic and Cavani who can handle defence.

The Premier League does not prepare you to play against a team that can defend, simple as that !

Samir Nasri, a French offensive midfielder from Premier League Champion Manchester City, is not even in the French national team. We know that to be a good attacker in the Premier League is not that hard :)

Think Nasri was left out for same reason as Cole was for England, disruptive influence.
  • [
    Think Nasri was left out for same reason as Cole was for England, disruptive influence.

Disruptive influence because he woud have been only a substitute in the first place while he thinks he deserves better. So he's not in the national team even as a substitute.
    Sammm04 wrote:

This might just be my ignorance, but I didn't know that Nasri has a reputation as an unsavoury character.

[

Disruptive influence because he woud have been only a substitute in the first place while he thinks he deserves better. So he's not in the national team even as a substitute.

Disagree, he is a far better defensive left back than Bains. Though still think he was omitted because of looking for harmony amongst the Squad.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Though still think he was omitted because of looking for harmony amongst the Squad.

What I wrote was what the head coach Didier Deschamps said publicly to explain why he did not choose him : I would have selected him only as a substitute, I know it would have not make him happy, and when Samir is not happy the whole squad feels it.

And well, Premier League has the reputation here to be the league with no defense, believe me :)
    Though still think he was omitted because of looking for harmony amongst the Squad.

What I wrote was what the head coach Didier Deschamps said publicly to explain why he did not choose him : I would have selected him only as a substitute, I know it would have not make him happy, and when Samir is not happy the whole squad feels it.

And well, Premier League has the reputation here to be the league with no defense, believe me :)

Personally on ability Nasri is a asset, though if he is not prepared to sit on the bench can understand why Deschamps made his decision. Was not aware of managers public statement :)
    Can I just say, SUAREZ did deliver for his country and him and Cavani were just bloody brilliant. That defender lad that got a knee against his temple and went out and then refused to be taken off and continued playing was the passion lacking from the English side.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    SaintMark wrote:
    Can I just say, SUAREZ did deliver for his country and him and Cavani were just bloody brilliant. That defender lad that got a knee against his temple and went out and then refused to be taken off and continued playing was the passion lacking from the English side.

There was a time when we did not play great football, though had the never say die attitude. Though football has changed, England team all millionaires and unfortunately have a soft underbelly with it. We have no hard men in the team, Robson, Butcher, Adams, Shearer etc.

Not forgetting Pearce! Maybe Pearce is the manager England need.
  • RC7RC7
    Sammm04 wrote:

The French League is shit. Most teams in it would get brushed aside by English championship teams. The problem is a need to address the wider system played here and develop a cohesiveness in the 'style' of English football, which at the moment cannot be defined.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    What can you do? Not a good show. Do we have to play on Tuesday? :(
    Samuel001 wrote:

Unfortunately! Mathematically we can still qualify though doubtful. That's assuming we beat Costa Rica and Italy beat Uruguay and Costa Rica convincingly.

I think England beating Costa Rica is a tough task.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Samuel001 wrote:

Unfortunately! Mathematically we can still qualify though doubtful. That's assuming we beat Costa Rica and Italy beat Uruguay and Costa Rica convincingly.

At this moment in time, England beating Costa Coffee would seem doubtful. ;-)
    Samuel001 wrote:

England very typical tonight, almost! its always almost. lol

Unfortunately for the England players it Costa nothing, by next week though won't give a Dam!
  • RC7 wrote:
    The French League is shit. Most teams in it would get brushed aside by English championship teams.

The hypothetical "mid-ranks international leagues" would be telling about the various leagues, imagine the 9th/10th/11th of France, Italy, Spain, England, etc.. competing against each other, but there will never be investors to do it. On the contrary, some are trying to do a closed European Top 20 or something like that, so that the big budgets clubs are sure to have a dozen of big matches every year.

I had a short look but it seems some of these matches only happen as friendly matches during the summer. For instance I could find a Monaco - Tottenham in summer 2013, that's at that time French's 1st second league team vs UK's 5h premier league team of that, it ended 5 - 2 for Monaco. The typical English defence :)

Nicolas Anelka top goal scorer of the league a few years ago didn't help much about the credibility of English defences here !
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    You Brits better hope Italy-Costa Rica is a blowout.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Unfortunately for the England players it Costa nothing, by next week though won't give a Dam!

That's been a resounding problem for too long though.
    Put players out there that are more concerned about playing and winning for their country rather than their paycheck.
    Sturridge is a much better player for Liverpool, than he is for England. What were the shots he took at goal? I could've saved them. Then the defending. Schoolboy stuff.
    Joe Hart never fills me with confidence in goal. He's far to hit and miss.
    Hopefully they learn from their mistakes going forward, but I wont bet my house on it.

Benny wrote:

Put players out there that are more concerned about playing and winning for their country rather than their paycheck.
    Sturridge is a much better player for Liverpool, than he is for England. What were the shots he took at goal? I could've saved them. Then the defending. Schoolboy stuff.
    Hopefully they learn from their mistakes going forward, but I wont bet my house on it.

Sturrgidge i remember had at least two great opportunities which in Liverpool colours he would have put away. Unfortunately England are way off, my expectations were low not too surprised.
    Benny wrote:

Doesn't Sturridge have that unbelievable dangerous striker fellow next to him With Liverpool, you know the one that kept every defense occupied if they were smart??

For me the major difference was the passion put on the field, and that turt of a coach of England thought they had done good defensibly tells the story if you got somebody like Suarez, Cavani & Lodeiro coming at you you'd better be prepared or score more goals than the opposition. And in those aspects England failed.

And now England depends once again on a striker of foreign origin to do their work.
    Passion only gets you so far. It's far more important to be good and our defence in particular have been woeful.
    Passion only gets you so far. It's far more important to be good and our defence in particular have been woeful.

Yes passion only gets you so far but I found the defense of Uruguay not better just fighting harder, running that little bit extra and giving it all. Damn that is passion all over again.

The difference between England and Uruguay was for me embodied in that defense player who blacked out and was about to be taken off the field and he refused that and 60 seconds later did a marvelous sliding on a English wing man who lost the ball in that action to Uruguay. And of course the three men I mentioned before who were aimed at the goal the whole bloody time and that was easy to see. With the English I never knew who was going to strike and when they did it was mostly half cocked.

It was overall a fascinating match that over 90 minutes showed Uruguay doing more to win and when the English goal came finally the English stopped pushing as they had for the last 15 minutes and gave the folks from Uruguay the chance to breathe and start playing football again and that resulted in Gerard bad luck and Suarez opportunistic 2nd goal. And that is what is his job and everybody knew that.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,653
    And the Greeks vs Japan showed the Usual anti-football by the Greek, wish they had been as careful with their nations finances as they are in football. And the Japanese just did not have enough talent to breech that Greek wall of ten man, they should have shafted those Greek fellows all the way back to Athens.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

Classic dear Willy!

• Benny wrote:

But that's just what we can often see here, no ? Except for Cameroon :)

It's "easy" to be a great attacker when you face defences that are not expected to do wonders in standard league matches, when you face defencers that are on the field for the paycheck.

And in such leagues, well, loosing is an option, since the 3 points victory is worth it in the long term when you have about 40 matches to play.

Here in this cup, with elimination matches, and with 3-matches only in the early stage, loosing is not an option. So many teams face underdogs with defenders who know they're watched by billions for three matches. Motivation to the max, and the "best team" has to attack, giving chances of counterattacks to the underdog. So you need a good defence first to win this cup, attack is not enough. And attackes will face far more defence than on the typical Sunday match, IMO. Yellow cards are cleaned at the end of the first stage, you know...

SaintMark wrote:

Yes passion only gets you so far but I found the defense of Uruguay not better just fighting harder, running that little bit extra and giving it all. Damn that is passion all over again.

The difference between England and Uruguay was for me embodied in that defense player who blacked out and was about to be taken off the field and he refused that and 60 seconds later did a marvelous sliding on a English wing man who lost the ball in that action to Uruguay. And of course the three men I mentioned before who were aimed at the goal the whole bloody time and that was easy to see. With the English I never knew who was going to strike and when they did it was mostly half cocked.

It was overall a fascinating match that over 90 minutes showed Uruguay doing more to win and when the English goal came finally the English stopped pushing as they had for the last 15 minutes and gave the folks from Uruguay the chance to breathe and start playing football again and that resulted in Gerard bad luck and Suarez opportunistic 2nd goal. And that is what is his job and everybody knew that.

The difference between the sides yesterday was the one world class player on the pitch - Suarez. We gifted Uruguay the win, not because they were brilliant but because our defending, particularly for the second goal, was amateurish.

Uruguay are a very average side at best, which just shows how poor England are. I fear we're going backwards instead of making any sort of progress.

Here's an interesting article about the Uruguayan defender who was knocked unconscious and insisted on coming back on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27938102
This discussion has been closed.