It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Finally! Yahoo finally has live text up. But moments ago, they did not. 4-2 now ...
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Roy's team selection for our final group game against Costa Rica:

10442933_10204095031040016_4671224879992990702_n.jpg

:D

What makes me laugh about this most is the Heskey head! =))
    Have to say the Algeria V Korea game is very entertaining! @-)

I'm still trying to work out how Heskey got picked ahead of Ms Piggy! ;-)
    RogueAgent wrote:

Miss Piggy is a guaranteed a red card each match for beating the living daylights out of somebody on the pitch. albeit an opponent, member of her own team or the referee. So Hesky would always be picked before her.

SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Miss Piggy is a guaranteed a red card each match for beating the living daylights out of somebody on the pitch. albeit an opponent, member of her own team or the referee. So Hesky would always be picked before her.

How come you picked Suarez to wear the number 4 shirt for us? ;) :-))
    Finally! Yahoo finally has live text up. But moments ago, they did not. 4-2 now ...

Is it really true you can't watch anything from the World Cup? I feel sorry for you... :( Don't the Japanese realize they are themselves represented in this World Cup?
    I do not have a working tv to watch the Japanese programs. :) There is definitely live coverage of the World Cup here, but I do not even have a sports pub in my town. I am sufficing - because I have to - with replays on the internet and reading live text.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 12,459
    system glitch giving me first a triple post and leaving a double post.
    Portugal decides to start at least with scoring. NICE.
    I do not have a working tv to watch the Japanese programs. :) There is definitely live coverage of the World Cup here, but I do not even have a sports pub in my town. I am sufficing - because I have to - with replays on the internet and reading live text.

May I recommend you to download the ZDF Mediathek and ARD FIFA WM App (if possible in Nippon) on your computer, tablet, whatever. These are German TV stations and they are having a lot of live coverage of the WC.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Tim Howard is keeping the US in this game.

If nothing else, the US participated in the first ever water break in World Cup history. Didn't even last a minute and presumably it was added to the extra time. Not a bad idea.
    Jones ties it up with an excellent outside shot.
  • RC7RC7
    Kerim wrote:
    Jones ties it up with an excellent outside shot.

What's an 'outside shot'?
    Dempsey with a stomach shot. 2-1 USA.
  • RC7RC7
    World class from Ronnie.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,653
    2-2 what a game

A lot of drama in tonight's games
    X(

May Ronaldo die of syphilis.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    What a game... WHAT A GAME!
    I regret watching the US game with my brother. I think I went deaf in one ear from hearing him scream about Bradley's terrible giveaway at the end there. The US should have won that match... luckily they're still in the running, but it's gonna be a challenge.
    Kinda hoping for a Portugal-Ghana tie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That ending...whew. Watched the whole game, really didn't imagine they'd tie it up with 20 or so seconds left.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 1,347
    Well, USA (+1 goal stats) are still as good as qualified even if they lose to Germany (+4 goal stats). Portugal (-4 goal stats) need a lot of luck to fix those stats in their favor.
  • RC7RC7
    Well, USA (+1 goal stats) are still as good as qualified even if they lose to Germany (+4 goal stats). Portugal (-4 goal stats) need a lot of luck to fix those stats in their favor.

It's Ghana the US have to be worried about.
    RC7 wrote:

It's Ghana the US have to be worried about.
    As it seems, yes. Doubt Ghana will beat Portugal 2-0 + USA loses, though.
    Goddamn van Gaal does not want to play football as his team shows, he depends on a flash of genius of Robben. Pure anti football plus an Orange Bus.

I do hope that Chili makes him pay for this negative football.

Really Leroy Fer, you beautiful basterd.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,505
    Well, The Netherlands are undeniably delivering the results, but I fail to get impressed as much as... well, apparently everyone else... They're no doubt a compact side and have quality on the break, but I find them underwhelming and definitely not entertaining... although I know everyone else think they are... or at least desperately want them to be....

The great Johan Cruyff has been pretty vocal about his distaste for "the modern Orange", and I don't expect his opinion will change with this campaign. There's simply not much Dutch heritage in this side, and I guess this is stylistically as far away from Total Football as any stereotypical Italy or Germany side have been throughout history. This is basically a cynical side intent on compensating for an inexperienced defence by playing very deep with five defenders at the back. Not least today when a goalless draw is enough to secure group victory, then that's what they play for. They scored in abundance against Spain... because the Spanish back four and Casillas seemed to be in christmas mode and Robben and van Persie were able to exploit the gifts they were given. Against Australia too they played deep and benefited from a defensive blunder, a badly placed offside trap and a shot every international goalkeeper should take. That doesn't make them entertaining though, I'm sorry to say... At least not for me...

Of course they are allowed to be cynical as much as any other team, and I don't intend to be overly critical of the Dutch in particular. But I do get confused and a little annoyed when it's labeled an undisputed fact that Holland deserve everyone's good will because they are "entertaining" and play "immaculate" football. This side isn't attacking minded, and they're not entertaining! The closest you'll get to Total Football today is with Spain and Argentina. The technically gifted Dutch side that passed the opposition to Death, is a thing of the past. And I do miss them...
    There is 2-0 for the Orange Bus, Chili really wants to play Brasil.

And Jobo 9 points from such a strong group still is quite a feat even if their style of football not as attractive as in 1974/78.

They did end in the finals last time and I did not enjoy that either, but they are flipping effective I give them that.
    They are certainly effective, no doubt about that.
    Robben is indeed one of the star players who delivers in the tournament.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,505
    It will be interesting to see how they will do in the knockout stages. Beating Chile with a clean sheet is no doubt impressive, although I don't think the South Americans were at their best today. But there are better, more solid teams waiting that on paper should be able to beat the 5-man defence and immobilize Robben. Or maybe not? In fact none of the teams so far, except France maybe, have been particularly impressive. There have been moments of brilliance but no teams have looked like rock solid world beaters yet, and the quality has been very evenly balanced between the sides so far. It's very difficult to conclude who the big favourites are, or from a Dutch perspective, who will be Hollands most challenging rival. But van Gaal should definitely be credited for having made the most out of his inexperienced defence and aging attack.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Now it gets good. In a few days we'll know who plays who.
    Had to laugh just seeing England's team for tomorrow on ITV? And i just thought well nobody really cares! :-S
This discussion has been closed.