It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

RogueAgent wrote:
    Had to laugh just seeing England's team for tomorrow on ITV? And i just thought well nobody really cares! :-S

That's what i thought, going to watch Italy game lol
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think people complain too much. No, yesterday's game between Chili and Holland wasn't that entertaining, though I did see some of the 'total footbal' of yesteryear. but the thing is, that only works if your defence is good enough, and it may be overly clear that the Dutch side' isn't at all. Chili played passionately but not too good. Same with the Australians.

Dutch footbal may have been very attractive in the past, but all they got to show for it is a European championship in '88 and finals of the WC in '74 and '78.

So perhaps Van Gaal's approach isn't that much of a step away, but just a realistic incorporation of what's cool and what's necessary. Perhaps. Perhaps we need some proper defenders as well, next to those awesome attackers.. ;-)
    I think people complain too much. No, yesterday's game between Chili and Holland wasn't that entertaining, though I did see some of the 'total footbal' of yesteryear. but the thing is, that only works if your defence is good enough, and it may be overly clear that the Dutch side' isn't at all. Chili played passionately but not too good. Same with the Australians.

Dutch footbal may have been very attractive in the past, but all they got to show for it is a European championship in '88 and finals of the WC in '74 and '78 & 2010.

Corrected something. :D
    So perhaps Van Gaal's approach isn't that much of a step away, but just a realistic incorporation of what's cool and what's necessary. Perhaps. Perhaps we need some proper defenders as well, next to those awesome attackers.. ;-)

Van Gaal is a great tactician who must hate choosing for this anti football approach when he is such a fan of the Dutch School of beautiful football. And I agree that he wants his 2nd attempt at WC football to be memorable after the failure of his 1st. But to be honest the 1st half was horrible to watch and only because the Dutch won with 2-0 you can call his approach a smart choice, had the Dutch lost everybody had blamed it on the horrible football played yesterday.

The winning coach is always right and if he gets this team in the finals he will be called brilliant, and van Gaal knew that already. ;)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    I (sorry, don't know what happened here.)
    Sammm04 wrote:

At loss for words, it happens to the best. ;)

That is unless you are Louis van Gaal. :D

SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Yeah, I wrote a long comment on how the dutch defence wasn't as bad as people thought it was, only for it to appear twice. I edited one of them down to the word I, and the other disappeared so I wasted my time writing a long comment only for it to disappear. Then I edited the sorry part into it. It is annoying, technical glitches. But anyway, as far as I can see, Holland have a clear path to the semi finals, and can definitely beat Argentina or Belgium.

Sammm04 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Yeah, I wrote a long comment on how the dutch defence wasn't as bad as people thought it was, only for it to appear twice. I edited one of them down to the word I, and the other disappeared so I wasted my time writing a long comment only for it to disappear. Then I edited the sorry part into it. It is annoying, technical glitches. But anyway, as far as I can see, Holland have a clear path to the semi finals, and can definitely beat Argentina or Belgium.

Holland vs Belgium is not as easy as outsiders might think, it has an added dimension due to our shared and not shared history. When it comes to sporting events logic does not always apply.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Had to laugh just seeing England's team for tomorrow on ITV? And i just thought well nobody really cares! :-S

That's what i thought, going to watch Italy game lol

I am going back to work! :)) That's how bothered i am about it. :-q
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Holland vs Belgium is not as easy as outsiders might think, it has an added dimension due to our shared and not shared history. When it comes to sporting events logic does not always apply.

Yeah, Holland and Belgium seem like teams that could develop a huge rivalry in the coming years if they continue to play well. They already are rivals really, but both sides having excellent teams in the future could make this one of the best international rivalries. Belgium seem like they are there to stay (or it may just be the perfect storm of players in 2014)

• edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    All is not lost:

10445614_10154279711810302_4451448531990814905_n.jpg

And in case no one's seen Joe Hart swearing at a ball boy, here it is:

;-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    All is not lost:

10445614_10154279711810302_4451448531990814905_n.jpg

And in case no one's seen Joe Hart swearing at a ball boy, here it is:

;-)
    I'd go for the annexing. You've got a very modern navy after all:

Suarez bites again!!!
    Ciao Mario!
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Suarez bites again!!!

Suarez must have craved something Italian.

1-0 for Uruguay.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Suarez bites again!!!

And less than two minutes later Uruguay scores the winner... :-w
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Suarez bites again!!!

Suarez must have craved something Italian.

1-0 for Uruguay.

I don't know whether I've been watching the same game as the commentators. All they've been saying is how Italy have been dominating Uruguay, but it seems that Uruguay have had more chances and have been the overall better team. In all fairness though, I've only had it on in the background. I've not been too attentive.
    The only thing that annoyed me about the football today, the fact that the British media seems to be a bit behind and thinks that England are still in the competition. How else can you excuse putting a meaningless match on ITV 1 and a winner takes all, loser goes home match on ITV 4. We're out, get over it, stop talking about us, thank god we don't have to hear about that team every bloody match rather than the teams that are actually taking part in the match they are covering. Once again, as with all bad coverage, it is ITV, not BBC (who have covered it well).
    Sammm04 wrote:
    The only thing that annoyed me about the football today, the fact that the British media seems to be a bit behind and thinks that England are still in the competition. How else can you excuse putting a meaningless match on ITV 1 and a winner takes all, loser goes home match on ITV 4. We're out, get over it, stop talking about us, thank god we don't have to hear about that team every bloody match rather than the teams that are actually taking part in the match they are covering. Once again, as with all bad coverage, it is ITV, not BBC (who have covered it well).

ITV are contractually obliged to show all England games on ITV1.
    Sammm04 wrote:

Really? I thought that (apart from friendlies) meaningless matches could be put on the back shelf in favour of matches that meant something. Watch the entire broadcasting team become uninterested now that England are out. I don't know why, they've brought nothing of any worth to the tournament, in fact (I know this sounds unpatriotic) I'm kind of glad they're out. Removes them from the limelight for once.

Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Really? I thought that (apart from friendlies) meaningless matches could be put on the back shelf in favour of matches that meant something. Watch the entire broadcasting team become uninterested now that England are out. I don't know why, they've brought nothing of any worth to the tournament, in fact (I know this sounds unpatriotic) I'm kind of glad they're out. Removes them from the limelight for once.

No and it's the same with the BBC. England games must be shown on the main channels.
    Suarez, Suarez...

Why do you find it necesarry to make your team unpopular in every World Cup? :-??
    I think this is quite conclusive. You can see the bite marks:

10447749_10152264348849389_1095502633176892512_n.jpg

I wonder if FIFA will be spineless and take little or no action though.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Of course they will. Suarez should not play football, period. He's had enough chances...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Suarez should be banned from all football for life.
    This is the third time he's bitten a player. Utterly ridiculous that a player would do this.
    Suarez.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Biting?! That's not even allowed in kindergarten! (And I would know). ;)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,506
    "Not even allowed" in a Japanese kindergarten? That sounds worrying...

Just out of curiosity; what's a Japanese kindergarten's take on kicking, punching, headbutting, referee harassment, spitting and faking injury? ;)
    Oh all of the above kind goes with the territory (I am at a typical Japanese kindergarten; not English immersion program any more). Or so I am told, that ours is typical. You would be amazed at the level of physical bad behavior and fighting that is allowed, in general. Don't get me started. It is the opposite of my training as a teacher. Biting is a no-no, though.
    0-0 Costa Rica v. England
    Not our finest hour but we accomplished to stay on top of the group. I hope we'll do it better in the next round.
    Glad i was at work! Utter garbage yet again from England! :-q
    Well, complete utter garbage would be losing 1-0, wouldn't it?
    Just trying to find one single thing positive about England at this moment.
This discussion has been closed.