The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• @Creasy47, Bram Stoker's Dracula is a must-see for Dracula fans. It may not be for everyone—I know some aren't too fond of the ancient love subplot—but it's still essential viewing material for Dracula fans. Gary Oldman turns in a particularly good performance as the Count, and there are several other strong performances from the cast, Sadie Frost's and Tom Waits' among them.

If you care to read, I did a write-up on it at my blog, which I've neglected for far too long busy with other things: https://enjoythecrawl.wordpress.com/2014/10/19/13-for-halloween-bram-stokers-dracula-1992/.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's a gorgeous looking film, and it has it's moments, but overall, it doesn't quite grab me. That said, I prefer it to the 1979 film with Frank Langella, and the 1977 version with Louis Jourdan.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm not sure if this thread is only about movies, but I feel the urge to slash it now >:)

Being a child, well young adult, of the nineties I'm naturally a huge fan of the Scream franchise.

Has anybody of you seen Scream the TV Show that has aired 5 episodes so far?

I did, I couldn't help it, no matter how many times I tried to refrain from doing it...it's like not being able to put down the phone when the killer is talking to you...
    8-|

What did you think of it?
    I must admit I got hooked, I like how it is clearly referencing the movies but still manages to differ enough to be surprising. Maybe that's the main attraction, it's not just a scene-to-scene remake.

As for the young, rich and beautiful high school models, they are realistic like Switzerland winning the next Soccer World Cup, but at least the leading actress is fabulous, down to earth and a good actress. She saves the show in my opinion.
    Her mother is played by Tracy Middendorf, an actress that I'm very fond of, wherever she appears she shines in her roles.

What I also like is they did not reboot the characters from the movies, but created new ones. A very clever step. Because there can be only one Sidney Prescott!!

So tell me, am I nuts to like this seemingly teenage MTV garbage?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @BondJasonBond006, I haven't had an interest in the show, but since you do, you'll be happy to know that it was renewed for a second season.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    All things horror are welcome here. :)

I haven't watched the Scream series, but then I wasn't a fan of the films. And if you enjoy it (that is all that matters), don't feel bad.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like the Scream films as follows:

Scream: YEAH!
    Scream²: kinda yeah
    Scream³: also kinda yeah
    Scream4: okay... I guess

Didn't even know about a television series. But I'll be honest. They're televising everything these days and I have stopped caring, especially after the disappointment that was Gotham.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2015 Posts: 15,690
    In the past 2 years they have made a tv show for: Bates Motel, Hannibal, From Dusk Till Dawn, Scream, Twelve Monkeys, Minority Report... It's just too much.
    Yeah, I mean, if I wanted to keep up with all of that stuff, it'd be a day job and I'd still run out of time. So thanks but no thanks.
    In the past 2 years they have made a tv show for: Bates Motel, Hannibal, From Dusk Till Dawn, Scream, Twelve Monkeys, Minority Report... It's just too much.

Don't forget about 'Fargo,' 'Constantine,' 'Limitless,' 'Marley & Me,' 'Rush Hour,' 'School of Rock,' 'Uncle Buck,' and 'Westworld.' It's way too much (though I do love 'Fargo' and am looking forward to 'Westworld.')
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

There's more!!!

Sleepy Hollow (fourth season approved)
    Fargo (second season approved)
    Transporter (second season showing)
    Constantine (cancelled this spring)
    Supergirl (pilot shown, will air in autumn)
    Westworld (2016)
    Well, it appears that we're getting yet another reboot of 'A Nightmare on Elm Street':

http://www.slashfilm.com/nightmare-on-elm-street-reboot/#more-307970
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Great! The originals were awful. Hope they get it right this time, it had potential.
    I can't really say anything, as I am all for the next Friday The 13th film (another reboot).
    @MajorDSmythe, as am I, and I'm sure I'll be one of the first to check out another reboot for ANOES.
    That is also great, as the originals were awful. (But the potential was there.)
    The original Nightmares were great! But okay, I'm a Freddy fan. ;-)

Freak. A Freddy Freak. I dressed as Freddy (with the glove!) for school when we did this centennial celebration thing last May. Freddy has nothing to do with that. And I'm a teacher. Yet despite those two things, I came dressed a Freddy. :D
    I guess you are Freddy.
    Dimi scares them witless.
    Dimi scares them witless.
    And me. What centennial celebration was that, @DarthDimi? The school? Or was it your birthday?
    Haha :D

Here's the story. So our school is 100 years old and that calls for a celebration, right? Everyone, teachers and pupils alike, are instructed to come dressed the way people dressed in the 20s, 30s, 40s, ... you get the idea. ;-) So you have your hippies, greasers, pre-WWII schoolboys, ... That's what they were after. But Dimi don't like those things. So, as per instruction "represent a distinct era of the 20th Century", Dimi decided that 80s slasher films were a part of a pretty distinct era of the 20th Century...

So I grab an old hat I once got from my grandpa, the red/green striped sweater my mom spent nights knitting for me many years ago and my expensive Freddy's glove replica with steel knives...

... and go to school by train. :p You can imagine the look on people's faces as they went to work on a Friday morning with Freddy Krueger sitting nearby.

Next, I arrive in school. A Catholic school. They had invited nuns who are now retired but who used to teach in our school. Everybody wore lovely outfits, mostly from the 50s and 60s. All seemed to be going very well. Suddenly the entire playground fell dead silent the moment I walked in. :D So, to make sure I wasn't going to waste a perfect moment, I yelled "Welcome to MY world, bitch!".

Anyway, my pupils still love me for that. :) But my colleagues' facial expressions said more than a thousand words. :P
    Haha! Wish I were there.
    That's amazing, @DarthDimi. XD Do you have any pictures?

My friend and I made Jason & Freddy costumes a few years back. They were girl versions, but we made our own instead of getting the crappy ones from the party store. It's still my go-to Halloween costume.
    @jackdagger, I bet many pictures were taken but I'm not the 'picture' type so I haven't seen any myself. ;-)
    It's true, @DarthDimi really isn't into having his picture taken. I managed to snap a candid of him once, didn't turn out too well for me. Made a duplicate, though, so here it is:

Dimi_zps3w5kh0ir.jpg
    Hey hey, that's a picture from graduation day! (The steroids gave me the slightly greyish beard.) By the way, that not water I carry there. Just saying. (Not water.)
    Never heard of 'Velvet Acid Christ' before, but they put The Wishmaster (my favourite 90's horror movie) at #6 in their top 10 horror movies:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3357080/velvet-acid-christs-top-10-horror-movies/

No mention of the increasingly shitty sequels? Good. :-bd
    Here's my assessment:

- Wishmaster: EXCELLENT FILM, SO MUCH FUN!! (those cameos)
    - Evil Never Dies: Not as great as the first one but the prison scenes are fun!
    - Beyond The Gates Of Hell: seriously? More boring than staring at a hole in your undies while it's staring back at you.
    - The Prophecy Fulfilled: I need to re-watch this one. It's been a while. But BTGOH isn't exactly the proper encouragement.
    'Event Horizon' in the #2 slot? Really? Really?! That's one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    - The Prophecy Fulfilled: I need to re-watch this one. It's been a while. But BTGOH isn't exactly the proper encouragement.

Simply put, don't. The Djinn falls in love, and is prepared to give up his powers? :-& Did the filmakers even watch the original film. Let's remind ourselves what the Djinn was like, with a quote from The Wishmaster...

"Match wits with a creature older than time? Match wits with a prince of the dark dominions? Pit your tiny 20th century mind against one who walked the spaces between the worlds, and trod the wings of angels beneath his conquering feet?"

After a good start, the series gets worse with each film. The 2nd film is at least passable thanks to Andrew Divoff returning as the Djinn / Nathaniel Demerest. Most other horror series, I prefer the sequels to the original (The New Blood, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Bloodlines, Night Of The Seagulls, Dawn Of The Dead), with the Wishmaster series, I like the first Wishmaster most, but I dislike the sequels more with each one.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Here's my assessment:

- Wishmaster: EXCELLENT FILM, SO MUCH FUN!! (those cameos)
    - Evil Never Dies: Not as great as the first one but the prison scenes are fun!
    - Beyond The Gates Of Hell: seriously? More boring than staring at a hole in your undies while it's staring back at you.

IO had no idea there was 4 wishmaster films... honestly 1 was enough but they really will make sequels to anything.