The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Awakening: Nice ghost story, atmospheric and good cast. Not really horror, more thriller. Glad I've seen this.

Kill List: Not sure why anybody would voluntarily not watch that movie, what a goofy, not boring pile of blood-soaked realistic not family drama horror. The best not arthouse slow-burn crime thriller I have never seen I'm afraid.
    And if you can make sense of what I've just written you certainly can explain the Kill List to me, or maybe I have to travel to an alternate universe for that.

Next on my list: Outpost
  • Has anyone seen The Butterfly Room? I wanna watch it just for Barbara Steele, but if it's awful I won't feel like wasting my time.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    I have to admit I like the Coppola film despite the criticism that it took too many liberties with the novel. I just love the style of the film. But it's not my favourite Dracula. Several films I rate higher: Tod Browning's Dracula, Jess Franco's Count Dracula and even that BBC Count Dracula two-parter with Louis Jourdan.

Can I just say how much I love FFC's Dracula? It's such underappreciated, experimental fun. I'm disappointed there aren't many good analyses of that film. Besides the lush imagery, there's so many interesting shots and techniques to discover. It's biggest flaw in my opinion is the uninteresting way the three main characters were portrayed. Oldman has delivered much better work in other movies, Winona Ryder is beautiful but sorta flat and Keanu Reeves is just dreadful. The supporting characters, in contrast, were never boring to look at, particularly Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing and Sadie Frost as Lucy Westenra (that scene in the maze when she seems to be floating in that see-through red dress has stuck with me ever since I saw it) and Richard E. Grant as Dr. Seward.

I would also like to note that Eiko Ishioka has been criticized for her work in other movies, which I take as a person insult ecause she has designed some of the most wonderful, sexy, dreamy east-meets-west costumes for this film that I would count as some of cinema's all time best.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Moah Freddy pleaze!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 372
    I actually have never seen one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies... because I'm afraid they'll be really scary. :-S Peope talk about 'em so often that's it's making me wanna watch them, though. There was this scene (Idk from which installment) on youtube and it's about a girl taking a bath and her mom asks her if she would like some warm milk, and I just laughed so hard because the girl's acting and reaction to her mother's question felt so genuine. Does anyone know which 'Nightmare' movie this is?
  • Sounds like the first one. (Might be the remake but I don't remember the exact dialogue in that)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is in the first, but for all I know there could be a scene like that in all of them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The month of October is here, and I plan on doing a horror marathon where I watch one horror movie a day, wrapping up with a mini-marathon on Halloween that ends with John Carpenter's 'Halloween.' Anyone have any horror movie watching traditions they follow in October and/or on Halloween?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I did that last year; 1 day, 1 horror film. I have no plans on a marathon this year, but I will make a point of watching Halloween 2 (the original) on Halloween.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 498
    I usually end up DVR-ing a whole bunch of horror movies in October (because EVERYONE'S playing them) and just watch those until my DVR runs out of room. I think last October I watched 36 new movies. @-)
    (and I too have a tradition of watching the original Halloween every Oct. 31st!)
    @jackdagger, glad I'm not the only one! There is no better movie to watch on Halloween than Carpenter's 'Halloween.' Essential viewing.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 498
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @jackdagger, glad I'm not the only one! There is no better movie to watch on Halloween than Carpenter's 'Halloween.' Essential viewing.

Absolutely! It doesn't feel like Halloween without "Halloween". ;)
    Started off my October Horror Marathon with Zack Snyder's 2004 version of 'Dawn of the Dead.' It's scary, intense, gory, and filled with interesting and likable characters in a grounded setting that makes use of its surroundings. I love the frenetic energy of the movie and how well it all reflects the despair and hopelessness of the group. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.
    First thank you all for suggesting horror movies that I could watch.
    I have a list now to "work off" and will continue as soon as my Bondathon is finished.

Today I felt like watching two "classics" that I've never seen in HD.
    So I bought Poltergeist (1982) and The Ring with Naomi Watts.

Poltergeist
    Having seen this maybe once or twice twenty years ago it was high time to visit that movie again, now in crystal crisp HD and nice surround sound.

This is a nice addition to my Horror Movie collection.
    Although Poltergeist never really scared me I like this one a lot. It is so typical Spielberg and you can see clearly that this was made in the same time as Raiders Of The Lost Ark.
    The many homages to Star Wars are staggering. And there is an Alien poster on the wall of the kids room, a Rubriks Cube and a Clue(do) board game. The product placement is quite fun to watch in retrospect, it's like a time capsule :) opened.

The cast is superb and the girl is the star of this movie although JoBeth Williams gives a gripping performance as the mother. Even Craig T. Nelson doesn't fail in this movie.

The special effects are quite dated and have the Amazing Stories quality of that later TV Show.

The story itself is simple but effective. Having built a whole suburbia on a former graveyard but not removed the coffins bites the protagonists of that movie in the ass so to speak.
    The young daughter gets sucked up by the television set into the white noise.
    That white noise image has become iconic.
    With help of some Ghostbusters the movie ends with everybody being saved but the house gets sucked into hell.

Speaking of the white noise image on the TV set.
    The Ring also uses this to scare the hell out of people.

I haven't seen The Ring in almost 10 years (which is kind of a crime I guess).
    Because now that I've re-watched it I realise this is one of the best horror movies and one of my favourites.
    Being of the Scream generation "my horror decade" was from 1996 to 2005. Everything that followed (SAW and the lot) never appealed to me.

The Ring has amazing direction and cinematography. This is Gore Verbinski's masterpiece, yes, better than the Pirates movies.
    The music is gripping and truly amazing and I was surprised that it is Hans Zimmer who did the score. Must be one of his best works.

The Ring overall works on every level. It scares. It is suspenseful and fascinating.
    The cast is great. Naomi Watts in her prime is a feast for the eyes.
    The special effects are absolutely great and hold up very well.

This is the kind of movie I love most in the horror genre.

Next I will watch Poltergeist 2 (just purchased it on iTunes) and The Ring Two (on Blu-ray). I haven't seen both, although I'm not entirely sure about Poltergeist 2.

Not expecting those two sequels to be as good as their originals I'm still looking forward to watching them back to back soon.
    But now back to my Bondathon where the 11th movie will be AVTAK.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Danny Boyle said he is open to the idea of directing '28 Months Later'. Finally some info on this film I've been waiting for since seeing '28 Weeks' in 2007!
    Danny Boyle said he is open to the idea of directing '28 Months Later'. Finally some info on this film I've been waiting for since seeing '28 Weeks' in 2007!

I would be totally okay with this. I loved '28 Days Later,' and '28 Weeks Later' had some great moments in it, so sign me up for '28 Months Later.'
    Now that the Producer's Cut of Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers has had it's official standalone BR release, does anyone know if RA BR's will work on a R2 PS3? I don't own a blu ray player except for my PS3, and while I have a multi-region DVD player, the Producers Cut of CURSE hasn't had a DVD release. Can you change the region of a BR player like you can with a DVD player? I really want to own the PD cut of CURSE, as it's one of my favourite Halloween films, 3rd only to Halloween 2 (1981) and Halloween (1978).
  • Check out this Friday the 13th video game they're trying to make!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/new-friday-the-13th-video-game-challenges-you-to-survive-a-night-with-jason-206

The game - targeted for play on PC, Xbox One and PS4 - is designed as a multiplayer affair, in which one gets the distinct opportunity to be Jason Voorhies, stalking camp counselors with the mission of killing them until none are left alive. The rest are the counselors who are tasked with surviving the night, either by running for their lives or doing what they can to stand up to the horror icon in the hopes fighting back might serve them better.

Kane Hodder will actually be motion-captured as Jason for the game, so there's that bit of coolness, and there are a number of sweet rewards if you want to throw some money into backing the project. This is one I plan to throw a few bucks behind, and if you choose to do the same, more power to you. It's been never since we've had a cool FRIDAY THE 13TH game on our hands. This one looks like it could do the trick, so I did the math.

Looks a little better than the NES one ;)
    Oh sweet jesus, I want that game now. It even looks like they're using the 'The New Blood' Jason.

Oh, that's disappointing, it's multiplayer only? I don't use the PSN, and I don't know enough people that would be interested in playing this. Damn, I was excited for a moment, there.
    Oh sweet jesus, I want that game now. It even looks like they're using the 'The New Blood' Jason.

Oh, that's disappointing, it's multiplayer only? I don't use the PSN, and I don't know enough people that would be interested in playing this. Damn, I was excited for a moment, there.

That multiplayer-only virus that is rampant in the Game Industry should get extinct.

That multiplayer-only virus that is rampant in the Game Industry should get extinct.

I completely agree with you. If they can work in a single player mode, I would be all over this like a rash.
    Though I am curious as to how the game works. I assume the environment will be heavily interactive.
  • The kickstarter page mentions a 1P mode if they can get the budget for it. The game sounds awesome, but I doubt I'd play it if it's multiplayer only.
    Bad news fellow F13 fans...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3366500/friday-the-13th-shifts-to-2017-in-hunt-for-new-writers/

Lord have mercy. How long have they been working at this film? Since the last film, EON have made 1, soon to be 2 Bond films, while Paramount can't seem to get this fully through development. The sad thing is, after yet another date change, I still want to see the film. There are a number of directions they can go. Here's two, 1) make a sequel to the reebot, simple enough, and 2) make a sequel to the original series, and fubar the timeline in Jason X.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @MajorDSmythe have you heard anything about the film 'Cell' coming in 2016? IMDB classifies it as a horror film, and it features 2 actors I know you enjoy: John Cusack and Stacey Keach.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @MajorDSmythe have you heard anything about the film 'Cell' coming in 2016? IMDB classifies it as a horror film, and it features 2 actors I know you enjoy: John Cusack and Stacey Keach.

Would that be a remake of The Cell? Good film, but seriously dated now.

Would that be a remake of The Cell? Good film, but seriously dated now.

I don't believe so; I'm pretty sure it's based off of the Stephen King novel, where everyone using a cell phone at a certain period of time gets turned into savage killers or zombies or something. Haven't read it myself.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 13,882

Yes, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of The Cell. It looked like a 2015 release for a while, but now it's moved to 2016. While I haven't read the book, the inclusion of Cusack and Keach instantly puts it on my radar,
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3371677/10-awesome-things-about-freddy-vs-jason/

I'm not sure I could think of 5 (though the Rave scene would make my list). More interesting than the film itself, though, is the journey to getting the film made. Almost every screenwriter working in the 1990s, must have submitted a draft for the film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm glad they mention the comic. I really love that one. The first book was good but the second was truly great with tons of references to the F13 an ANOES series.

FvsJ is in my top 3 of all-time favourite slashers.