The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, the drill impalement and the cryogenic face smash are the best!

What's the most brutal kill from 'Jason Goes To Hell'? I'd say the opening, but I'm not sure that technically counts (since it's Jason), and I haven't seen the movie in so long that I don't remember many other gory kills. The two that come to mind are someone getting their face burned on a grill, and that badass pole kill in the diner when a girl stabs the incarnation of Jason and he yanks her into it at the same time or something.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The couple having sex in the tent. In the rated cut, Jason (as the coroner) shows up, impales the woman, causing a little to splatter on the man, we are then taken outside the tent while Jason finishes them off. In the unrated cut, the kill is the same up until the impalement. In this cut we see the rod burst through the woman's chest, causing more blood to splatter on the man, followed by Jason ripping the rod up diagonally out of her shoulder.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I just re-watched Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

I can't believe how much criticism this film takes. Sure, it's no A Nightmare On Elm Street, but I love some scenes so much, I can easily forgive the few I don't like. Also, Freddy's look is amazing! When he creeps up behind July, my mouth is one gaping hole of saliva!

new_nightmare_2.png

And to be honest, what Scream did very well, this one does 'just good', but it's still good. I mean, I have heard that some people damn New Nightmare as the very worst in the series. Nah-ah-ah! Freddy's Revenge, anyone? Wait, Dream Child? No-no-no, THE FINAL NIGHTMARE, where Freddy goes to Loony town. Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a far better movie than those, fresh and original and well shot!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    New Nightmare is my favourite ANOES. Imagine that Freddy going up against the JGTH Jason.

nightmare7promo11.jpg

tumblr_mcm4qvZ5Rc1r6t86xo1_500.jpg

That is what FvsJ should have been like.
    While I am a fan of FvsJ, indeed, Major, that Freddy could have been really cool in it. I believe in one of the earlier drafts of FvsJ, they had incorporated elements from New Nightmare...
    I remember back in the day, McFarlane Toys released a two pack of Freddy vs Jason (this was way before the movie) and it was definitely Hodder's Jason

5171M7RJWCL.jpg

Didn't they have some lame ass excuse for not hiring Kane Hodder? Something like 'Oh we wanted an actor who had sympathetic eyes' or some nonsense like that.... ~X(
    I have that Jason in a single pack. It's an odd one, it's like a hybrid of Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason Goes To Hell. Mezco have made a good JGTH jason:

header.jpg

While NECA made an equally good New Nightmare Freddy:

41VKt3mNpcL.jpg

NECA have also done exceptional work with the Friday licence. Making both undamaged and battle damaged Jasons from part 3 and 4, as well as a reboot Jason. Mezco also made the reboot Jason. But while theirs came in 2 versions: burlap sack headsculpt and hockey mask headsculpt, NECA provided two swappable headsculpts for the one figure. Mezco gave their Jason more accessories, but NECA focused on getting their Jason(s) screen accurate. NECA even sculpted Jasons face under the removable masks, even if we didn't see Jasons face, like in the reboot.
    I call Evil Dead original "fun" because it's so OTT.
    That combined with the low budget special effects, gives it an almost high camp, cartoonish appeal.
    It's a potent mix. Entertaining as heck.
    I really liked the Raimi- Campbell approved remake too.
    Had the same relentless pacing that causes the faint of heart to walk out of the theater.
    Betsy Palmer, RIP.
    :(
    Not a fan of the original, but it gave her a special place in horror history (even if she disliked the film at the time).

RIP Betsy (Mrs Voorhees). With a 2016 release, would it be too late to dedicate the next film to her?
    Some details on 'halloween Returns'...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3349227/michael-myers-resurrected-halloween-returns/

Sound like rather than being called a recalibration, it could just be called a sequel (to the original series). I would be all for them revisiting the original timeline. I am hoping that this will happen with the next Friday The 13th reboot.
    I'm a fan of the H series so I'd say: keep it coming. I had a lot of faith in Zombie's remake/reboot series. Than Halloween II happened.
    that sounds absolutely brilliant I may even see it in theaters.
    Some more 'Halloween: Returns' news...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3349277/directing-halloween-returns-exclusive/

The director is Marcus Dunstan who co-wrote the film, and cameras roll next month.
    Suppose it was inevitable, as are most remakes in Hollywood, no matter how 'classic' a film is: 'Nosferatu' is being remade:

http://deadline.com/2015/07/nosferatu-the-witch-robert-eggers-studio-8-1201486438/
    I doubt they can top the Klaus Kinski remake.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I doubt they can top the Klaus Kinski remake.

That will be hard to beat. Kinski is in my top 3 Draculas.

In other horror news....

Burt IS Back.

You can take the Burt out of Perfection, but you can't take the badass out of the Burt. B-)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Suppose it was inevitable, as are most remakes in Hollywood, no matter how 'classic' a film is: 'Nosferatu' is being remade:

http://deadline.com/2015/07/nosferatu-the-witch-robert-eggers-studio-8-1201486438/

I haven't seen the 70's remake but I can't believe anything can live up to the original. Pretty horrible timing too considering the recent theft of FW Murnau's skull....
    The original Nosferatu certainly is a monumental achievement. The remake had the obvious advantage of more 'modern' filmmaking techniques and the "homage" that came as Shadow of the Vampire rather impressed me.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 372
    These remakes are getting on my bloody (no pun intended) nerves. There's so many aspiring screenwriters with heaps of talent and ideas and they always revert back to the same old stuff that has been done to death.

And like people have said, nothing can top the 1979 version in my opinion. Of course the original Murnau was incredibly well crafted but overall the remake was a more satisfying expierience for me. One of the best movies of all time.
  • I am definitely down for a 2016/17 remake of Nosferatu. The original appeared long enough ago that the idea of remaking it doesn't bother me the same way remaking films from the '80s or '90s does. In fact, I'm looking forward to seeing what might be done with the story in the hands of artists today. Herzog's '79 remake is a fantastic, moody work of art—one of my favorites in the genre—but there is always room for a new interpretation.

On a bit of a side note, I've been on a total Dracula flick kick lately since I've been lucky enough to be currently fulfilling one of my life dreams by appearing in a stage version of Dracula (as Jonathan Harker). I just watched Nosferatu '22 and Shadow of the Vampire back-to-back the other week, which was a rewarding experience. I'm sorry to say I found the original pretty dreadfully boring apart from a handful of interesting shots of Schreck, but they did a fantastic job with the scene recreations in Shadow (and of course Willem Dafoe was a complete delight to watch).

Also recently viewed: Dracula - Dead and Loving It, Andy Warhol's Blood for Dracula, and Dracula '31 with Bela.

Looking forward to many more coming up, especially Count Dracula with Louis Jordan and Horror of Dracula with Christopher Lee.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I just bought Dracula Untold on bluray. Not sure what to expect, but I am a Dracula fan and got it cheap.
  • I just bought Dracula Untold on bluray. Not sure what to expect, but I am a Dracula fan and got it cheap.

Hey it's got two Bond alums (sort of): Charles Dance (FYEO) and Dominic Cooper (Fleming). Let us know how you like it.
    I recommend Dan Curtis' Dracula, with Jack Palance in the title role. Though it was made for tv, Palance's performance is first rate.
    Hero guy, I will, but it could take forever before I actually watch it.

Major, Palance is probably my favourite Dracula of all time. Saw it as a kid and was afraid to descend the stairs to our cellar bathroom afterwards.
    edited August 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Major, Palance is probably my favourite Dracula of all time. Saw it as a kid and was afraid to descend the stairs to our cellar bathroom afterwards.

I feel like that, when I watch it now as an adult. Palance is like a wild animal throughout the film. And when Dracula discovers the coffins, he erupts with a rage like nothing I have ever seen. Palance is in my top 3 Dracula's, along with Lugosi and Kinski. It's so close, I don't think I could rank them, unless I gave then joint 1st place.
    And how about when he draws blood from his chest and makes the women drink? How badass is that?
    edited August 2015 Posts: 40,474
    Speaking of all of that, there's a new limited edition (and a regular edition) blu-ray of the 1992 version of 'Dracula' coming out soon:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bram-Stokers-Dracula-Blu-ray/92211/

I STILL haven't seen this and I've wanted to check it out for a long time. Any recommendations?

@Some_Kind_Of_Hero, you just blew my mind with that Bond alum bit, as I never, ever knew that Charles Dance played Claus in FYEO. Blows my mind. Well, there's yet another Game of Thrones to James Bond connection!
    Bram Stoker s Dracula is the best ever.
    I have to admit I like the Coppola film despite the criticism that it took too many liberties with the novel. I just love the style of the film. But it's not my favourite Dracula. Several films I rate higher: Tod Browning's Dracula, Jess Franco's Count Dracula and even that BBC Count Dracula two-parter with Louis Jourdan.