The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,551
    @Creasy47, I watched EH in theatres at the still somewhat impressionable age of 16 and I loved it. I was spooked out of my wits! There were times when I simply went nuts from the tension. :(
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DarthDimi, I suppose therein lies the difference, where I (a few years ago in my very early 20's) watched it on Netflix last night and was kind of blown away at how awful I found it. I just think there are many, many, many other films that could've made that list, but then again, everyone has their favorites. I'd put John Carpenter's 'The Thing' (albeit more sci-fi, I still consider it a horror movie) and 'The Descent' on mine, though I'm sure there are others who wouldn't do the same.
    The Thing is an excellent horror flick and The Descent is superb! I went to see that one in theatres too with a friend who literally jumped twice during the film. :p I felt very intrigued by Neil Marshall. Saw Dog Soldiers and liked it too. But then came The Descent 2, which was good though not superb IMO. (And he didn't direct that film.) And Doomsday wasn't very good a film, period. Centurion wasn't either. So I guess he made two good films so far. :)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Descent is bloody great, sure one of the best horror thrillers of the 00's.
    And a great, great date movie!
    I went with my wife, my friend with his date (later girlfriend) to the cinema to see this.
    My friend's date was jumping on him constantly and was all over the place, later (rumour has it) she was jumping on his bones at home :D
    My wife knows a thing or two about being scared witless (she always was watching the horror flicks with me). The Descent was one of the scariest she ever saw.
    Needless to say I was laughing my arse off at the cinema :-j

Well, if you ask my wife which is the scariest movie ever...definitely Snakes On A Plane, she is scared to death by snakes but she was brave and saw the thing through.
    Again, when she screamed repeatedly I died laughing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    On this day, 22 years ago today, Jason Goes To Hell was unleashed:
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3357154/jason-voorhees-went-hell-day-1993/

There are parts that just can't be explained, but it is still one of my favourite F13 films. The opening and closing of JGTH are spectacular, and the unrated cut features the most Brutal kill in the series.

A female Doctor... a black Bond... a female Freddy?
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3356494/female-freddy-5-actresses-id-like-see-don-fedora/

I can't imagine anyone other than Englund as Freddy, I have not seen the remake/reboot yet.
    @MajorDSmythe, I don't think the remake for ANOES was too awful. Jackie Earle Haley was creepy in the role, and it was a genuinely scary movie at times. Sadly, it was a total remake and didn't seem to offer much new on its own, aside from the finale and perhaps a few scenes here and there. Englund IS Freddy to me. Might as well get around to checking it out before the re-remake is released! ;)
    edited August 2015 Posts: 23,551
    I agree with @Creasy47. JEH did a fine job. Robert will not come back to the part, he says. He's too old. Apparently playing Freddy is very physically demanding. Hence his definitive departure after FvsJ (but what an amazing swansong that was for him.)

I'm not against another remake attempt though. Every generation deserves a boogeyman and Freddy fits that role perfectly. In fact, rather another Freddy attempt than another boring-me-to-tears Paranormal Activity.

The problem with the 2010 film wasn't necessarily Platinum Dunes' involvement. Bay and co had given us great stuff before. (TCM, F13) The problem was, as @Creasy47 said, that the film left us somewhat been-there-done-that to the point where New Nightmare feels more inspired than the remake. And with such a massive industry behind it, they had the time and the money to work on something cool so it's sad they weren't more productive.

But overall I don't think ANOES 2010 is a huge disappointment. I like the tone of the film (thank you, mister Jablonski), I love Jackie in the lead part and the effects were pretty cool. As the big Freddy fan here, I can say that I didn't feel not-at-home, just not in the actual house but locked up in the toolshed.
    @DarthDimi, that's a nice review, and that's how I like to see it: it's a good film and has its fair share of scares, but doesn't offer much in the way of anything new. They could've done a proper reboot without resorting to essentially copying many key scenes from the original. I fear that's an issue with Hollywood lately: they want to stick with what they know and what we're used to and nostalgia without having to come up with anything new on their own, even if it is a reboot.
    My problem with the reboot was that Freddy was always the kind of character you loved to hate, and
    they definitely weren't going to accomplish that making him a pedophile. That made it too dark, too vile, and pretty much eliminated any possibility of sequels. Not that a child murderer isn't vile, but it was so far-fetched it was always in the realm of fiction.
    That being said it was nice to see Freddy be "scary" again instead of a cartoon.
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC12760&mode=retail
    NEC12760.jpg

AWESOME, just when I was actually considering shelling out big bucks on ebay to get the Cinaema of Fear Jason! Glad I waited; this one even looks better!
    Wes Craven died rest in peace
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Wes Craven died rest in peace
    This one kind of came out of nowhere for me. I'm a huge fan of the first two Scream films, and certainly the first Nightmare on Elm Street is a horror classic. Craven was a true master of his craft. RIP.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC12760&mode=retail
    NEC12760.jpg

AWESOME, just when I was actually considering shelling out big bucks on ebay to get the Cinaema of Fear Jason! Glad I waited; this one even looks better!

Just when I thought NECA had abandoned this line, in favour of the 8" line. For comparison, here is Mezco's Pt 6 Jason:

CoFS2Ft131.jpg

Mezco are good when it comes to accessories, but for screen accuracy, Neca are better. With this 7" line continuing, I can't wait for Neca to get around to Pt 7 and JGTH.

It's only good to log in, and see new posts in this thread when they aren't confirming the passing of a horror movie icon. R.I.P Wes Craven. Wes Craven's New Nightmare & Wishmaster (though it was made under the 'Wes Craven Presents' banner) are amongst my favourite horror films.
    So sad to hear about Wes Craven, it came as a shock to me. I didn't even know he was ill.
    Between him and Christopher Lee we've really lost some major horror icons this year, haven't we?
    I am not the biggest horror fan and even I must admit Craven was a master I will say I am sad he didn't try to direct an action film I always felt Carpenter some of the best action movies of the 80's and he started in horror Wes I felt could of been brilliant. I will even go as far to say as he would of made an amazing director for Batman... Oh well
    I need help.
    The horror genre has always had a special place in my heart. Although I did not enjoy it as a youth I started to become a fan in 1996 with Scream. That one hit all the right buttons and I'm a sucker for stuff like that, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend and practically everything made between 1996 and 2003.
    I also like the late 70's/80's stuff like Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street or Creepshow, Poltergeist and the Shining.
    I did like movies like Thing Ring or The Grudge a lot as well. Mimic, The Relic too.
    In my list of my favourite movies of all time Shaun Of The Dead is No3 !

With the "new" era that SAW started things got sad for me. I can't watch stuff like SAW. That's just not for me.

I'm in desperate need for horror movies I haven't yet seen.
    Maybe you nice people can recommend movies that you think I might like. That would be great and very appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 40,474
    If you like 'The Grudge,' I suggest the original Japanese version called 'Ju-On.' It's so scary. My Dad told me he got up around 3 AM one morning, too early to get ready for work, and saw that that was on. He watched it while sitting in the middle of the living room, no sun up, and all the lights off, and he said it was the scariest horror experience he ever had.

For other slashers, check out the original 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' and the 2003 remake with Jessica Biel. Some old 80's horror movies that have a soft spot in my heart are 'Hell Night' (with Linda Blair, one of my absolute favorites of all time) and 'Silent Night, Deadly Night.'

Then you have non-slasher classics from the 70's and 80's such as John Carpenter's 'The Thing' (probably in my Top 10 films of all time) and the 'Alien' series.

As for pure scares, the ones that have really freaked me out in the last decade would be 'Insidious,' 'The Strangers,' and 'The Descent,' those three always come to mind. There's a little known ghost-horror film called 'The Awakening' that's on Netflix, too. I watched it one night in the dark, all alone, and it really freaked me out.

Another one that pops to mind that really stuns and blows your mind with the twist is 'Kill List.' Don't read into it at all, don't look it up, don't watch any trailers, just trust me and watch it blindly one day. It starts out like a normal revenge film, but it's guaranteed to stun you.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If you like 'The Grudge,' I suggest the original Japanese version called 'Ju-On.' It's so scary. My Dad told me he got up around 3 AM one morning, too early to get ready for work, and saw that that was on. He watched it while sitting in the middle of the living room, no sun up, and all the lights off, and he said it was the scariest horror experience he ever had.

For other slashers, check out the original 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' and the 2003 remake with Jessica Biel. Some old 80's horror movies that have a soft spot in my heart are 'Hell Night' (with Linda Blair, one of my absolute favorites of all time) and 'Silent Night, Deadly Night.'

Then you have non-slasher classics from the 70's and 80's such as John Carpenter's 'The Thing' (probably in my Top 10 films of all time) and the 'Alien' series.

As for pure scares, the ones that have really freaked me out in the last decade would be 'Insidious,' 'The Strangers,' and 'The Descent,' those three always come to mind. There's a little known ghost-horror film called 'The Awakening' that's on Netflix, too. I watched it one night in the dark, all alone, and it really freaked me out.

Another one that pops to mind that really stuns and blows your mind with the twist is 'Kill List.' Don't read into it at all, don't look it up, don't watch any trailers, just trust me and watch it blindly one day. It starts out like a normal revenge film, but it's guaranteed to stun you.

That's great, so many thanks.
    I'll start this evening with The Awakening as I have Netflix. I've seen The Descent and really liked it.
    Kill List sound interesting I will download that one immediately on iTunes, it's only 10 CHF which is equal to 9 USD.
    The Insidious series is something I'd normally watch, I was afraid it's similar to SAW which I can't stand, but I guess it's not so I'll watch the first one.
    I'll report back once I've seen those (if I'm not scared to death by then) :)) I'll tell my wife to take out the emergency defibrillator from our Aston Martin.
    @BondJasonBond006, let me know what you think of them! As for 'Insidious,' it mostly focuses on ghosts/demons, it's not gory like the 'Saw' series prides itself on. Personally, I think the first 'Insidious' was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. There's a certain scene in it that really, really creeps me out, still can't talk about it with people without getting chills. The second one was okay, and from what I saw of the third, it was also real scary. I wish you luck!
    I wish me luck too :))
    Staying away from any of the major horror franchises, here's a few suggestions:

American Mary
    Outpost
    The House Of The Devil
    Dog Soldiers
    Theatre Of Blood
    Re-Animator
    The Night Of The Seagulls (Blind Dead IV)
    Lisa And The Devil
    The Beyond (1981)
    Dracula (1931)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I second @MajorDSmythe's suggestion of 'Outpost', a true gem. First time I saw it on TV I was mindblowned and I ordered the DVD on amazon as soon as the movie ended.
    Thanks for the replies, I will check out Outpost as well.

I started watching The Awakening yesterday evening after I finished Skyfall.
    Sadly, after 45 minutes into the movie I was just to tired to continue. I'll finish watching it shortly.

Question: I own The Texas Chainsaw Massacre from 2003 and I like that one very much.
    Does anybody know if the 2006 movie is a sequel and is it any good?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 13,894
    @DaltonCraig007 - Outpost was one of the best cinema experiences i've had. I went in expecting a campy shlocky cheesefest, and came out of the film impressed. Avoid Outpost 2: Red Sun.

@BondJasonBond006 - Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is the prequel to the 2003 remake. Though, imo, it is no match for the 1974 original, I liked it.
    @BondJasonBond006, I also wouldn't recommend the 2006 prequel, I thought it was horrible, and there were no surprises in it since it's a prequel, so you know what happens.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 9,020
    @BondJasonBond006, I also wouldn't recommend the 2006 prequel, I thought it was horrible, and there were no surprises in it since it's a prequel, so you know what happens.

@MajorDSmythe

Ok, thanks for telling me, I'll stay away from it. There's enough stuff I have to watch ;)
    No no no, you misunderstood me. I wouldn't say that I disliked it, it's just that none of the other TCM films quite match the 1974 original. The only one that I would suggest staying away from, is TCM: The Next Generation.
    No no no, you misunderstood me. I wouldn't say that I disliked it, it's just that none of the other TCM films quite match the 1974 original. The only one that I would suggest staying away from, is TCM: The Next Generation.

Is that the Renee Zellweger/Matthew McConaughey one?

I would recommend it, just so you can see how truly awful it is, and that even some of the most talented actors (McConaughey, not Zellweger) have massive poo stains on their resumes.

Oh ok, sorry my bad.
    Yes, The Next Generation I kind of eliminated from my memory as good as possible. I did buy it sadly in the early 00's because of it's killer cast :))
    edited September 2015 Posts: 13,894

Is that the Renee Zellweger/Matthew McConaughey one?

I would recommend it, just so you can see how truly awful it is, and that even some of the most talented actors (McConaughey, not Zellweger) have massive poo stains on their resumes.

That's the one.

@BondJasonBond 006 -That's a wise idea. Just make sure that you don't look at TCM:TNG in the future, and think to yourself, "I haven't seen that one before". I watched it once, a few years back, when I bought the DVD. I don't plan on seeing it again.