The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I just wish that it had been made with Kane as Jason, and as a sequel to Jason Goes To Hell.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Any of you guys remotely hopeful or optimistic for the next F13 like I am? I love the series, I just hope that they can retain what made the reboot so enjoyable for me. The latest news of it not having a director, but hiring the screenwriter for 'Prisoners' has me even more hopeful.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm always curious to see in which direction they will take the film. :-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Naturally, I want to be. But since the last one, there's been two Bond films... two. Back in the 1980's, Paramount released one almost every year. Only 1983 and 1987 didn't see the release of a F13 film. Even with 3 year gaps, we could have seen a fresh start in 2012, and now a sequel. Instead, we're 6, soon to be 7 years on with nothing to show for it. And to top it off, we won't be seeing it until 2017. I'm all for them taking their time, but it shouldn't take this long to make a film, which at the least, is decent.

With David Bruckner no longer attached, i've got my fingers crossed for the Soska sisters. Just to be on the safe side, let them write and direct the film. [-O<
    The last I heard, they were going with an 80's set film, but it appears now that a new writer has been brought on and they lost a director, the direction could change entirely. All I ask is that they set it in the winter. I can only imagine...
    I believe it's undergoing a re-write, or even it's first draft. It's hard to tell, it doesn't look like it's gaining any traction. At this rate, it's going to be in development longer than Jason Goes To Hell was. I do think the winter setting is the way to go, though. That kind of setting would open the door to a wealth of new kill styles.
    Given that this will be the 13th film in the F13th franchise, I'd love for it to not suck. The winter setting would play into both unique kills and a unique environment where it's that much easier for Jason to track down his targets (I imagine them freezing and trying not to make noise, or trying to escape him without leaving tracks in the snow that he can follow.)
    edited December 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Just imagine Jason pulling a victim into a snowbank, the only sign that his victim is dead, is the small red dot that appears in the snow, gradually getting bigger. Some fans might be pissed that we don't see the kill, but picture it.
    Just imagine Jason pulling a victim into a snowbank, the only sign that his victim is dead, is the small red dot that appears in the snow, gradually getting bigger. Some fans might be pissed that we don't see the kill, but picture it.

Funnily enough, I noticed during my last F13 marathon that a lot of the times in the older films, we really don't see that much of a kill, if anything. It's usually a swing or a shot by Jason and then it cuts, only to show us the aftermath later on. That idea sounds fantastic, could be well done. Of course, my mind is running to things like snow plows, icicles, snow shovels, etc. for Jason to use.
    Looks like Halloween Returns, the latest attempt at a continuation of the Halloween franchise, has been canceled.
    Dimension has also lost the rights to the franchise, with Miramax now shopping the franchise elsewhere.

Looks like we're in for another long wait for a new Halloween film. You wouldn't think it would be this hard to get the slasher icons such as Voorhees and Myers back on the big screen.
    Strange. It's been half a decade now since the last Freddy flick and even longer since H2 ad F13. At least Chucky is still going strong... I hope. Curse was a great addition to the series.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi must be happy with yearly releases of Paranormal Activity outings to keep himself busy before the next Halloween, Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street films. ;)
    I haven't checked out the new Chucky film, but it's been sitting in my Netflix Instant queu for a while now.

I'm just hoping that this search doesn't take long and they get a new director and new writers on board this thing quickly. I'm somewhat relieved, as I wasn't a fan of them chucking out the continuity from Halloween 4 onward, but this constant changing of ideas and the constant limbo the franchise seems to be stuck in has become frustrating.
    @dalton -A little advice with Curse Of Chucky, keep watching for the post credits scene.

I find it more than a little worrying, that all the big horror series are now struggling to release a new film.
    @DaltonCraig007, The PA series is about as entertaining as seeing a chicken picking up some grain. :-) I laugh at the people who actually believe all of this is real. :D (A 2012 poll shows that 45 percent of Americans believe in ghosts... Yeah, the most advanced country in the world? :D)
    Dam just read the news about Halloween Returns being Canceled finally a decent Halloween film that if they focused on story and tension instead of blood and gore could of possibly even given the original a run for its money. sigh....

Any Rob Zombie horror fans here at all? Heard about his new one - some funhouse horror film that keeps getting an NC-17 rating - and it sounds just as batshit insane and eerie as 'House of 1000 Corpses' and 'The Devil's Rejects.' Those are some brutal movies.
    I'm a Rob Zombie fan. I have a Rob Zombie film lined up for my guilty pleasures reviews. ;-)

I recall that he was working on some crowdfunded project called 31, due out - eh - "next' year?

Damn, I didn't know that had been released already. With NECA now working their way through the films in order, I am eagerly awaiting their next Jason announcement...

tumblr_n621wtwEmx1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

The age of Kane. B-)
    I do not care for the blood and gore (probably why I never got into Zombie films) but I scratch my head at friends who did not get "It Follows". I guess after so many slasher, gross outs, and films full of "jump scares" this little creepy thriller just does nothing for some people.

It Follows does not contain the cheap "jump scares" and has very little blood in it. The "It" does not look like a chain saw whelding maniac with human skin on the face or like some of the characters we see in Wes Craven films, but just the average look of people you see on the street. this is very effective, IMO.

Movies like "The Haunting" which never actually shows a ghost is very effective though.

• Damn, I didn't know that had been released already. With NECA now working their way through the films in order, I am eagerly awaiting their next Jason announcement...

I picked him up at FYE yesterday- he's GREAT! I'd still love Roy from part V, and they're due for a remake of part VII (they have one that's pushing 10 years old- looks great but it's more of a statue; not very poseable)
    Hell I'd buy one from every movie

Damn, I didn't know that had been released already. With NECA now working their way through the films in order, I am eagerly awaiting their next Jason announcement...

I picked him up at FYE yesterday- he's GREAT! I'd still love Roy from part V, and they're due for a remake of part VII (they have one that's pushing 10 years old- looks great but it's more of a statue; not very poseable)
    Hell I'd buy one from every movie

Good to hear, i'll buy him up asap. I won't loose any sleep if we don't get any figures from Pt V. The less I think of ANB, the better.

As for Pt VII, I hope they they will make another one to fit in with the current line. I never bought the original. I do have that weird JGTH/TNB hybrid that McFarlane toys made about 10-15 years ago. There wasn't a lot of articulation, and it wasn't really screen accurate.

OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I do not care for the blood and gore (probably why I never got into Zombie films) but I scratch my head at friends who did not get "It Follows". I guess after so many slasher, gross outs, and films full of "jump scares" this little creepy thriller just does nothing for some people.

It Follows does not contain the cheap "jump scares" and has very little blood in it. The "It" does not look like a chain saw whelding maniac with human skin on the face or like some of the characters we see in Wes Craven films, but just the average look of people you see on the street. this is very effective, IMO.

Movies like "The Haunting" which never actually shows a ghost is very effective though.

Being such a horror nerd, I can appreciate a wide spectrum of horror films. I love the styalised kills of Hatchet 2 as much as I do the palpable atmosphere of the original The Haunting.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,813
    As for Pt VII, I hope they they will make another one to fit in with the current line. I never bought the original.
    I got him back in the day- he certainly looks great, but that's pretty much his only pose, except for turning his head, or if you want his left arm higher or lower.

Jason-figure.jpg

Someone once made an impressive Roy out of a Michael Myers body (since 'Impostor Jason' wore the same blue overalls)

36990-1.jpg

Because of that, and the blue hockey mask (and facesculpt) this would be different enough to justify a buy!
    They certainly nailed the look, with all the visible bones, but a Special Edition would be welcome.

I wonder if NECA have considered a new line of Final F13 Girls figures. There wouldn't be much in the way of accessories for each figure, but i'd still buy them.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Conjuring 2 trailer

No, we don't need a "Conjuring 2"...I loved the first one. I appreciated the attempt on "Annabelle"( but honestly the first ten minutes of "The Conjuring" is scarier that the whole Annabelle movie)
    I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of the sequels and remakes and all this lets just leave well enough alone.

Now moving on: I just heard of a new one coming out this month, "The Boy" sounds like some freaky $hit. Kind of stuff that used to scare us as children, the dolls, puppets and store dummies coming to life. I'm in as well as "The Forest" which opens today.
    RIP Angus Scrimm a.k.a. The Tall Man

1923490-thetallman.jpg
    Even though he is more well known as The Tall Man in the Phantasm films, when I heard the news, I actually thought of his narration at the beginning of The Wishmaster.

R.I.P.
    Sam Neill and Adrien Brody in 'Backtrack'

According to Wiki, Rob Zombie's next feature, "31", will premiere today at Sundance. I must admit I can't wait to see this film!