The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If it misses the January release, then the next time that the 13th of a month falls on a Friday, is in October of 2017.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, which is quite a gap in time, though a new 'Friday the 13th' is the most fitting in the month of Halloween, though this seems like a January/February/August release type of movie.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That's true, it would provide some relief from fesitve films still in cinemas at that time. January or October? :-? If they can release it in January, that's fine. But maybe the extra few months to get it right (and get the series up and running again), would help.
    'IT' gains a release date of September 2017 and loses Will Poulter as Pennywise as meetings begin to find an actor for the role:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/warner-bros-announces-release-date-for-it-1201759274/
    edited April 2016 Posts: 13,894
    The thought of another IT leaves me cold. While I have not read the book, the 1990 two-part mini series was effective enough.

Talking of remakes, the Soska sisters are to direct a remake of Cronenberg's Rabid.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/rabid-remake-soska-sisters-david-cronenberg-1201715631/
    @MajorDSmythe, same, but I thought 'Mama' was solid enough to have Muschietti seen as a promising director, I like that it's broken up in two parts (so they can focus more on the kids for the first one and focus on them more as adults for the second one), and I've always found Pennywise to be incredibly frightening (only movie that ever gave me wild nightmares as a kid) so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't overly ecstatic to see both who they pick and what kind of look they go with.

How was their 'See No Evil 2,' @MajorDSmythe? I heard awful things, but the trailers made it seem entertaining enough and worth a watch, but I've yet to get around to it. Hopefully they can give their version of 'Rabid' the same kind of insane, practical feel that Cronenberg always manages to inject into his movies (like my favorite of his, 'Videodrome.')
    See No Evil 2 was unremarkable. Mind you, I didn't see the first See No Evil until I heard they were directing the sequel. And that original film was nothing more than a no frills Friday The 13th clone. I don't hold See No Evil 2 against them. While it was underwhelming, I have no complaints about Dead Hooker In A Trunk and American Mary.
    I thought the first was a fun enough way to blow an hour and a half, but definitely not something I've returned to since. I may check out the sequel if I ever get a chance. It takes place in a hospital, does it not? And on that topic, wasn't there a rumored new 'Halloween' movie that took place with a bunch of teens in a hospital being stalked by Michael? Pretty reminiscent of the original sequel.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Is JAWS supposed to be a horror movie?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I thought the first was a fun enough way to blow an hour and a half, but definitely not something I've returned to since. I may check out the sequel if I ever get a chance. It takes place in a hospital, does it not? And on that topic, wasn't there a rumored new 'Halloween' movie that took place with a bunch of teens in a hospital being stalked by Michael? Pretty reminiscent of the original sequel.

It's set in a morgue. With the Soska sisters at the helm, and staring both Danielle Harris and Katharine Isabelle, maybe I just had my expectations too high.

As for the (now apparently aborted) next Hallwoween, as I understood the few details released, it was going to ignore the Rob Zombie films, and re-open the original '78 - '02 series, and be set in a prison (where Myers had been incarcerated).

@BondJasonBond006 - As for Jaws, I don't see why it can't be called a horror film (at the very least, it's a horror thriller).
    That was it, had a feeling I bungled the description. A 'Halloween' movie set entirely in a prison would be great, shame it didn't see the light of day. As long as work is continuing on 'Friday the 13th,' I'll be happy.

I'll share my thoughts on 'See No Evil 2' if I end up watching it.
    It's probably not a popular idea, but I would have been interested in a new Halloween, set after Resurection, but it carries on where Curse Of Michael Myers left off.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,471
    I thought the ending to 'Resurrection' set it up perfectly for a sequel, albeit one in a hospital/morgue, as well. The last few seconds of that movie scared the piss out of me when I first saw it.
    Did you see the alternate ending, the one with the open drain? Either of them would have been suitable for leaving the door open for #9.
    Wait, which one with an open drain? The ending I originally saw was him waking up in the morgue, and the one I just found on YouTube (that I recall seeing long ago) ends with him waking up outside on a stretcher and him taking an axe to the face.
    If only the whole movie was on the same level as the ending, we would have had something good!
    I admit I jumped!
    I think there were a number of alternate endings. A quick look on google, and youtube, reveals that I got it wrong, it's actually called the CSI Ending:...

I don't believe I've seen that ending. Keeps a final jump scare and it opens it up for a sequel, which is always expected. I still can't forgive casting Rhymes and killing off Laurie in the first few minutes, though.
    The worst thing about Resurrection, for me, wasn't Busta Rhymes, nor was it the killing of Laurie at the start. No, it was the flimsier than a piece of toilet paper in a thunderstorm excuse for how Myers wasn't decapitated at the end of H20. I will say though, Ressurection had one of the best masks of the series, on par with the first two.
    Ahh, you mean the swapping of his "corpse" with that of the coroner when nobody was looking? I thought that was stupid, too, but unless they touched into some odd, supernatural kind of storyline, I can't think of a grounded reason for his return other than something like that.
    Screen Gems is remaking yet another horror movie, this time in the form of 'See No Evil' - the Mia Farrow film from the 70's, not the 2006 slasher movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/680381-screen-gems-set-to-remake-see-no-evil
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ahh, you mean the swapping of his "corpse" with that of the coroner when nobody was looking? I thought that was stupid, too, but unless they touched into some odd, supernatural kind of storyline, I can't think of a grounded reason for his return other than something like that.

Agreed. It was fine as a means to keep things going. The only other way that I could see them accomplishing it would have been to return to something along the lines of The Thorn and have that provide some means of resurrection, but that would have been impossible given that H20 goes out of its way to disregard films 4-6 in the series.

I will say this for Halloween: Resurrection. The opening of the film, the PTS if you will, was pretty good. The whole bit with Myers infiltrating the hospital felt like it belonged in a better Halloween film.
    Ive never seen the 70's See No Evil. I'll add it to my 'to watch' list. While I am at it, I should add Rosemary's Baby too.

@dalton - The opening of Halloween: Resurrection is very goo, I agree. The camera panning down the corridor with Laurie's narration. The film starts off so well.
    Yeah, it was a real punch to the gut to find out what awaited on the other side of that scene.

It was a shame, really, because the premise of the film isn't entirely terrible. I think the stunt casting of Rhymes and Tyra Banks didn't do the film any favors.
    @MajorDSmythe, I haven't seen it, either, though I have seen (and immensely enjoyed) 'Rosemary's Baby.'
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well hello there, Cell. Thanks for posting that, @DaltonCraig007. It was starting to feel as though the film had sunk into development hell. Looks like a very tense survival horror, and with a solid cast. If I wasn't already, i'm certainly stoked for the film now.
    Cell actually looks pretty good. I'm cautiously optimistic, because that's really all you can ever be when it comes to a Stephen King adaptation. Still, the last time Cusack and Jackson teamed up for a King adaptation, it turned out pretty well.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,813
    In honor of Friday the 13th, Kane Hodder has an important announcement

Beautiful ending!