The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    According to Wiki, Rob Zombie's next feature, "31", will premiere today at Sundance. I must admit I can't wait to see this film!

You and I both! And while it was officially given an 'R' rating, I'm sure an NC-17 Director's Cut will make its way to blu-ray when the day comes. Killer clowns and Rob Zombie, you can count me in.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Creasy47, I'm truly surprised to learn that Zombie's movies haven't picked up any clout since Halloween 2. El Superbeasto was pretty decent and I truly love the look and story of The Lords Of Salem.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3377320/friday-the-13th-david-bruckners-vision-was-to-make-an-80s-coming-of-age-monster-movie/

I just want a conventional Friday film, set in the modern day, in a snow covered environment, with inventive kills, some likeable & some not likeable characters and if it could be directed by the Soska sisters, that would be the cherry on the cake.
    They came to their senses on the found footage stance. Proof that fans do have some power. Though I like the idea of starting of as found footage, before quickly killing of the POV character, and proceeding as normal. Though new fans coming to the series in years time, might not get the joke.
    Agreed, @DarthDimi. Seems he was 'bigger' during his first few movies, and once 'Halloween 2' was out, his work starting going to VOD and not as many people were talking about him.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3377320/friday-the-13th-david-bruckners-vision-was-to-make-an-80s-coming-of-age-monster-movie/

I just want a conventional Friday film, set in the modern day, in a snow covered environment, with inventive kills, some likeable & some not likeable characters and if it could be directed by the Soska sisters, that would be the cherry on the cake.
    They came to their senses on the found footage stance. Proof that fans do have some power. Though I like the idea of starting of as found footage, before quickly killing of the POV character, and proceeding as normal. Though new fans coming to the series in years time, might not get the joke.

I agree.

I don't see why it's so difficult to get these types of films going. Halloween and Friday the 13th, two of the most storied horror franchises out there, should not be having the problems that they are currently having. It's a shame.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    dalton wrote: »

I agree.

I don't see why it's so difficult to get these types of films going. Halloween and Friday the 13th, two of the most storied horror franchises out there, should not be having the problems that they are currently having. It's a shame.

In 7 years, EON have made two films, with a 3 year gap. Paramount can't even get 1 F13 film off of the ground. We are also approaching the longest gap between films, currently, it's the 2nd longest gap.

Jason Goes To Hell - Jason X (8 years)
    Friday The 13th 09 - 2016 (7 years)
    Freddy vs Jason - Friday The 13th '09 (6 years)
    i am just saddned by the lack of a Helloween film Come on Michael versus Pinhead with Carpenter directing and Barker writing (or was it the other way around)... are we really saying this wouldnt of been the best horror film
    I liked Mama, but a sequel is unnecessary.
    Is the director of 'Mama' still attached to the 'IT' remake? I cannot express to any of you how much money I would've paid to see Cary Fukunaga's version of 'IT.'
    I liked Mama, but a sequel is unnecessary.

Ditto

I saw "The Boy" the first two acts were quite good but the third act deflated something awful. Was actually kinda stupid.

I did see some cool trailers before the film came on:"Witch" just looked very interesting and is called very disturbing and the film starring Ethan Hawke, though not horror, 'Regression" looked interesting.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 13,894
    I've seen Mama, and it was ok. Not really sequel worthy. On saying that, good films get sequels, and shouldn't have... like Outpost (2008). Wishmaster is another that shouldn't have had 3 sequel (that get worse with each one).
    I've seen Mama, and it was ok. Not really sequel worthy. On saying that, good films get sequels, and shouldn't have... like Outpost (2008). Wishmaster is another that shouldn't have had 3 sequel (that get worse with each one).

there have been 4 wishmasters good god why?

Wishmaster was funny, fresh, exciting. Then came... rubbish.
    Risico007 wrote: »

there have been 4 wishmasters good god why?

I would say money, but as much as I like the first film (my favourite horror film of the 90's), it wasn't a success. The 2nd one had the saving grace of Andrew Divoff returning, but after that... *shakes head* The 4th one should have been sent to the lowest level of hell. It boggles the mind how much it goes against what we learn of the Djinn in the previous films.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 498
    After the scene in the 2nd Wishmaster when
    a woman queefs out a bunch of gold coins
    I was done with the franchise.

Mama was OK, but I'm not sure how they'd do a sequel. If they took the basic concept but had a brand new cast of characters it might be decent.

I figured that Kane would run away with the poll, so I put my vote in for Derek Mears (Jason in the 2009 Friday the 13th). I was pleasantly surprised to see him in second place behind Kane. The film itself was terrible, but I thought Mears was terrific and I hope that they bring him back whenever they get the next Friday the 13th off the ground.

I figured that Kane would run away with the poll, so I put my vote in for Derek Mears (Jason in the 2009 Friday the 13th). I was pleasantly surprised to see him in second place behind Kane. The film itself was terrible, but I thought Mears was terrific and I hope that they bring him back whenever they get the next Friday the 13th off the ground.

If I had to pick a 2nd choice, it would have been Mears. I liked the film itself too.
  • If I had to pick a 2nd choice, it would have been Mears. I liked the film itself too.

The remake has a bad rep in my opinion- the best F13 movies had tons of gore and nudity. This certainly delivered!
    It even managed to have some plot along with it! (compared to most of those movie, I mean)
    If I had to pick a 2nd choice, it would have been Mears. I liked the film itself too.

The remake has a bad rep in my opinion- the best F13 movies had tons of gore and nudity. This certainly delivered!
    It even managed to have some plot along with it! (compared to most of those movie, I mean)

The remake is one of my favorites in the series, didn't expect it to be handled so well. What were your thoughts on the splitting up of the casts, giving us one to have slaughtered in the first half hour, followed by an introduction of another group? Certainly allows for a high body count and unique settings, which I loved.

The bad reputation is undeserved. If there was a Friday The 13th film that did deserve a trashing, it is part 5 'A new Beginning'. Jason Goes To Hell is an easy target, and while I can see why some are put off (either because it's a F13 film, or because it isn't like one enough), I disagree. The Uncut cut of the film even features the most brutal kill of the series, to date.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    This looks fun.

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    What were your thoughts on the splitting up of the casts, giving us one to have slaughtered in the first half hour, followed by an introduction of another group? Certainly allows for a high body count and unique settings, which I loved.
    I loved it! I'll never forget seeing that opening night with a packed audience, and after, what... twenty minutes have gone by and *finally* the "Friday the 13th' title shows up, everyone was like 'WHAT' :-O
    This looks fun.

All those FPS shots brought to mind the trailer for Hardcore Henry:

Well, it was only a matter of time: an eighth installment in the 'Saw series, titled 'Saw: Legacy,' is on the way:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3379148/saw-lionsgate-begins-developing-next-sequel-legacy/
    I knew this would happen. It was only a matter of time before we saw an eighth Saw film.

Strangely enough, I think I'm game for another. It will have been 6-7 years since the last one (longer than I thought they'd wait), so diving back into the series might be of interest.

I just hope they don't make the stupid decision to kill off the antagonist too early on this time around. Having a solid plan and sticking to it could result in a more cohesive and satisfying string of films.
    Well, at least that is one horror series not stuck in development hell.
    Another Saw film?
    Not sure we need that... I love the series but the final two entries were barely acceptable in an otherwise pretty stable series.
    I actually liked the final film, and seem to be the only person around who likes Saw V. I stuck around with the films more for the story and the detective aspects of the films rather than the gore that seems to have brought so many to the series, so I'm interested in seeing where they might take the story moving forward.

I actually couldn't care much less about the traps, but it would be nice if they could go back to something more basic on that front and not feel the need to make them so over-the-top that you have to look away in disgust. The first film or two did a pretty good job of making the traps uncomfortable for the audience while still grounding them in something that resembled reality, but they got so outlandish as the series went that they really overwhelmed everything else.