The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I agree on the mix of Horror and Comedy. Bringing the two genres together is tricky. The Re-Animator films are other good examples of the perfect marriage of Horror and Comedy.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    But only the first two I think, @MajorDSmythe. They somewhat honoured their Lovecraftian roots and they were creative with the effects. The third one felt out of touch not just with Lovecraft but also with Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I haven't read any of the source material, but I didn't think it was that bad. Ok, it's not as good as the first two, but it's not awful either. I think Jeffrey Combs saves the film.
    And after two film of West supposedly dying, I like that 'Beyond...' ends with Dr West just walking off, away into the night.
    I can agree with that, Major.
    I must admit that ever since I've read the works of Lovecraft, I've been a big fan of what Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna have done with his material. Their films weren't always that good on a technical or even screen writing level, but they sure were very creative and exceptionally entertaining. Ever seen Dagon? One of my favourites.
    I have seen Dagon, but it was a few years ago. I don't remember the specifics of the story, other than the seaside setting.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Actually, I vaguely recall a zombie film I watched and enjoyed that was definitely a horror comedy. Sadly, I don't recall the title. I would know it if I heard it. I remember one scene where someone enters a house with a large lawn mower, and proceeds to run over and chop up all the zombies in particularly gory fashion.
    Actually, I vaguely recall a zombie film I watched and enjoyed that was definitely a horror comedy. Sadly, I don't recall the title. I would know it if I heard it. I remember one scene where someone enters a house with a large lawn mower, and proceeds to run over and chop up all the zombies in particularly gory fashion.
    @Creasy47, I'm sure about 500 zombie films fit that description. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Creasy47, I'm sure about 500 zombie films fit that description. ;-)

Oh really? I can only think of one! Shame I don't know the title. ;)
    It's Braindead/Dead Alive. Directed by Peter Jackson. And you're right, it's a great horror comedy with over the top gore and ridiculous one liners. I love it.
    That's it!! I knew it by the title 'Dead Alive,' and was actually going to say that it had the word 'Dead' in it, but I knew that wouldn't really narrow it down when it comes to a zombie/horror film. ;)

Thank you!
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3340640/wes-craven-shocker-reveals-left-freddy-kruegers-look-alone/

I am glad that Freddy's look was changed, as the New Nightmare look is my favourite look for Freddy.

nightmare7promo11.jpg
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 372
    I recently saw Don't Look Now. People advertize it as horror but that's really not what it is. What a beautiful, tender (though often chilling) movie. It's scary in the sense that you know the two main characters have to live with the reality of having lost their daughter, and that such things actually happen in the real world.

And I just hate seeing bad stuff happen to good people. :(

Anyone else have any thoughts about this film?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I have not seen Don't Look Now, but I have seen a very similar film, Who Saw Her Die?, starring Bond #2, George Lazenby. Complete with long hair, and a 'tache.
    I love Don't Look Now. The acting by Sutherland and Christie is tremendous. I do think it's a certain type of horror though. Perhaps it's not about monsters or slasher killers, but inner demons can enough. Don't Look Now is on several horror movie lists.

As far as Freddy is concerned, I agree with the Major that the New Nightmare look is actually a very effective and rather scary one. I love traditional Freddy, of course, but I was never offended by New Nightmare's Freddy either.
    Although I haven't seen it in a very, very long time, I also recall the look they gave Freddy for New Nightmare being very good. Sometimes change isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Never in a million years would I have expected this to happen.

Will Poulter has been cast as Pennywise the Clown in Cary Fukunaga's two-part film version of 'IT.'

http://www.slashfilm.com/will-poulter-pennywise/
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 96
    I made this poster for the upcoming Friday the 13th reboot.
    friday_the_13th__2016__by_galasilva-d8s2enn.jpg
    @Creasy47 -That... is odd casting. :-?

@GalaSilva - I like it, very dark, very moody.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    As promised a (long) while ago, I have resumed my exploration of the horror world. Last summer I watched the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead and Halloween films. Tonight I started the Hellraiser franchise, by watching the first outing. I haven't been this scared in a while, this film is genuinely freaky. This monster that appears in the film, when the young girl is running in the corridor and at the end is batshit crazy, my heart was pounding at a very fast pace. I really liked the gritty, scary, disurbing atmosphere of the film. Some epic gore moments, with human skin being pulled and ripped in all directions.

I'll continue to keep you posted in the afternoon tomorrow when I continue going through the Hellraiser film series.
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 2,341
    Watched The Babadook. Hate to say I was not that impressed with it. Maybe it was just built up too much. Nothing could live up to that hype.

This may be yesterday news but I thought Annabelle was just blase. The first ten minutes of The Conjuring when they talk about the doll was scarier than the entire Annabelle movie.

Talk about scary, check out It Follows. Well worth it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just finished Hellraiser: Hellbound. It was gorier (IMO) than the first outing, but les scary, as I probably knew what to expect this time 'round. I prefered this film, due no doubt to the mental hospital setting at the start, which reminded me of 'Halloween II'. I was surprised to see Kenneth Cranham in the film, an actor I always enjoy watching.

Next up: 'Hell on Earth'. I'll report back at the end of the film. :D
    Bloodlines next, DaltonCraig007. It's stuck with the 'Alan Smithee' director credit, but it is still my favourite Hellraiser film. That said, I would like to see Yagher's original cut of the film released.
    Just finished Hell on Earth. Least scary and least gory in the series so far, but I really liked it. It felt more 'epic' in scope, and I loved the sequence in the streets with stuff blowing up everywhere! The news reporter, Joey, was also a big eye candy to watch.

Starting 'Bloodline' in a few minutes.
    while this is not horror related Jason is in the new Mortal Kombat one wonders why they just don't do a horror video game... Actually I would love a combo of horror villians and DC Heroes Sure I am the only one who would love to see Jason kill Superman or Batman take on freddy but still.
    @Risico007, you read my mind.

Survival horror. Stay alive is what counts. But be careful. You get into town, Michael is there. You fall a sleep, Freddy's coming for ya. Stray off into the woods, Jason will get you. There will be dolls (Chucky), Jigsaw traps, calls from Ghostface and the sound of chainsaws. You'll hardly have weapons so look for things nearby. You'll have to get from one place in the States to another by means of hitchhiking, boat and train rides, walking, ... Cars will break down; you'll stumble into the Bates Motel. Abandoned slaughter houses in Texas? Check! You'll meet people; you'll meet meat. For they will be sexually promiscuous, careless, overly sceptic of your stories. ... They'll keep the killer busy for the few seconds you need to get out of one terrible situation, only to stumble into the next. You may defeat some of these guys, but only temporarily. The best you can hope for is that you can make them think you're dead, or turn them against each other. Wait, could you get Freddy and Jason mixed up in a fight? Would it be possible to get Michael and Leatherface beat on each other? And please, whatEVER you do, don't . fall . asleep - so find those pills, or find the dream blocking hypnocyl! Is it wise to stay close to the water or do you prefer to stay close to fire? There's a store, full of Goodguy dolls. You're sure they're perfectly inanimate? ALL of them? You run out of gas. There's only one - just one! - house nearby. A sheriff lives there, but do you trust him? You might want to steel some gas. But do you DARE to get that close to the BBQ set?

I could go on like this, but such a game gets my saliva going. Too bad all of these properties are probably so scattered all over movieland, it'd be a nightmare in itself to get the rights for a single game. ;-)
    Bloodline I was surprised, at the start when I saw the film was set in the future and on a space ship, I was excited as this reminded me of that futuristic Friday the 13th film, but I found out a big part of the film is set in the 18th century and in 1996. Still, a pretty good film, I enjoyed it quite a bit, although the gore effect was quite tame in this one.

Inferno Quite a letdown, not as good as the previous film, but I still thought it was watchable. I liked the whole detective aspect of this outing, but I was disappointed that the Pinhead only appears for a few minutes at the end.

I'll continue with 'Hellseeker' tonight after the big football game.
    I'd prefer a survival horror game over a horror themed fighting game. The was a Halloween game in development for the PS2, but it slipped into development hell, and never clawed it's way back.
    Hellseeker Less interesting than 'Inferno', but the main character is more charismatic, so I'd rank it equal to the previous film. If I really had to choose, however, I'd pick Inferno. I was happy to see the girl from the first 2 films, but she was disposed off rather quickly.

Deader. Another drop in quality, the main actress was quite atrocious, but she is quite a looker so I can forgive her. I give the film some points for it's romanian location, as I always like seeing cities and countries I don't often see in movies. Still watchable even if the series is now nowhere near the level of the first outings.

I'll finish the series tomorrow with 'Hellworld' and 'Revelations', and I'll be able to start my discovery of the 'Children of the Corn' series! :-bd
    I need to know how you feel about Hellworld, @DaltonCraig007! :-)