Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Some interesting thoughts on Star Trek by Quentin Tarantino
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wow, Tarantino is really passionate about ST.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wonder what he'll think of Discovery.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,599
    Not only passionate but knowledgable. It does not surprise me that he likes the show and he knows that the keys are plot and character. I love his honesty about the new movies.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Some interesting thoughts on Star Trek by Quentin Tarantino

Serious fan here.
    Reposting this here as well.

Just finished watching the first episode of The Orville and as a pretty big Star Trek fan, I really enjoyed it. It's very much a pastiche on Star Trek and while some of the jokes weren't up to my fancy I really enjoyed the look and presentation to the show. It has heart and soul to it. It's very colorful and most of the CGI effects are very cinematic. It's more in line with Galaxy Quest but I really dug this show and I'm looking forward to tuning in for more. It was neat seeing Penny Johnson from Star Trek Deep Space Nine playing the Orville's chief Medical officer. Star Trek Discovery is going to have some solid competition.
    I am chuckling at thought of a gory Django/Trek mash up created by Tarantino! Lol!
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Murdock wrote: »
    Reposting this here as well.

Just finished watching the first episode of The Orville and as a pretty big Star Trek fan, I really enjoyed it. It's very much a pastiche on Star Trek and while some of the jokes weren't up to my fancy I really enjoyed the look and presentation to the show. It has heart and soul to it. It's very colorful and most of the CGI effects are very cinematic. It's more in line with Galaxy Quest but I really dug this show and I'm looking forward to tuning in for more. It was neat seeing Penny Johnson from Star Trek Deep Space Nine playing the Orville's chief Medical officer. Star Trek Discovery is going to have some solid competition.

I can't believe you just said this. So I watched the first episode of "The Orville". And despite the great production looks of this series (which is rather expensive A-style TNG-Trek), I found the first episode uneven at best. It doesn't know exactly what it wants to be. An A-class "Star Trek" spin-off? A real-action "Family Guy" or "Ted" kind of black comedy series? A funny-enough "Galaxy Quest" kind of spoof? A respectful homage to "Star Trek"? In all honesty, it fails the test on all four instances.

What works so well for "Family Guy" and "Ted" were the incredibly wonderful drawings/CGI of the characters. These visuals truly engaged with the main humour/comedy of the written stories. In "The Orville" sadly it's just a rotten side dish. The foul language comes at moments where you expect a bit of "Star Trek" ethics, thus the humour falls flat.

Seth MacFarlane also performs like he's really in "Star Trek" at times, with a "Trek"-like seriousness. Which is a bit charming, since he loves "Star Trek". But too many times this is intersected by badly timed humour.

The story itself then was actually mediocre at best. No, it was ridiculously bad. Like I was watching a bad C-Movie. The writers must have watched the pilot episodes of "The Next Generation" and "Voyager" a bit too well, thus making it look like cheap, unoriginal copy-paste work.

This new Series might improve in the next weeks or so. But given the rather flat, uneventful storyline of the first episode #1 (Ed Mercer discovers wife in bed with alien), I don't really think we'll see this pilot as a kick-off for more repercussions and more eventful and smarter writing. The good thing: "The Orville" makes me long to "Star Trek: Discovery" even more. I'm not surprised "The Orville" gets a flat-out "rotten" of 11% on RottenTomatoes.com:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/s01
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too enjoyed it, didn't think it was much of a comedy. More like a Fan's
    Homage with a couple of jokes here and there. I'll keep watching, fingers
    crossed it will improve.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,454
    Something I gathered from several reviews for 'The Orville' was how it was marketed as a comedy, but seems to be a lot more dramatic and in-depth than the trailers let on. Looks cheesy to me, though, and the overall consensus seems fairly negative on it.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I think The Orville made a decent attempt at the Trek homage, but it just didn't have much of a soul. The cast was adequate, the production values were excellent and the story wasn't horrible, but nothing felt... It didn't feel like they knew what the show really wanted to be.

The marketing was no help, as Fox just kept trying to sell it as a comedy when it really wasn't.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 16,330
    I can't believe you just said this. I watched the first episode too. And despite the great production looks of this series (which is rather expensive A-style TNG-Trek), I found the first episode uneven at best. It doesn't know exactly what it wants to be. An A-class "Star Trek" spin-off? A real-action "Family Guy" kind of black comedy series? A funny-enough "Galaxy Quest" kind of spoof? A respectful homage to "Star Trek"? In all honesty, it fails the test on all four instances.

What works so well for "Family Guy" and "Ted" were the incredibly wonderful drawings/CGI of the characters. They truly engaged in the main humour/comedy of the written stories. In "The Orville" sadly it's just a rotten side dish. The foul language comes at moments were you expect a bit of "Star Trek" ethics.

Seth MacFarlane also performs like he's really in "Star Trek" at times, with a "Trek"-like seriousness, that then is intersected by humour that falls flat.

The story itself then was actually mediocre at best. No, it was ridiculously bad. Like I was watching a bad C-Movie. The writers must have watched the pilot episodes of "The Next Generation" and "Voyager" a bit too well, thus making it look like cheap, unoriginal copy-paste work.

This new Series might improve in the next weeks or so. But given the rather flat, uneventful storyline of the first episode #1, I don't really think we'll see this pilot as a kick-off for more repercussions. The good thing: It makes me long to "Star Trek: Discovery" even more. I'm not surprised "The Orville" gets a flat-out "rotten" of 11% on RottenTomatoes.com:

Well @Gustav_Graves, Pilot episodes aren't always the greatest so we have to give things time to grow. It's like a pair of new shoes, They look nice but not always feel nice until we've broken them in. And Like I said, It wasn't perfect.

I can say I've watched Ted, Ted 2 or A Million Ways to Die In the West and I certainly haven't watched Family Guy in almost a decade so this was something new and exciting for me. And You can't really expect ethics when it's a pastiche anyway. It did the job just fine for me. What's been hurting televised Star Trek for a long time now is it takes itself far too seriously and forgot it's humble beginnings as a space adventure show with a blend of serious drama and some light camp. Which was The Original Series. TNG Was hit and miss, Often taking itself far too seriously and coming off as pretentious. Deep Space Nine is the second best series in the Franchise. While mostly a drama, It did the drama quite well and made it's characters feel real. The less said about Voyager and Enterprise the better.

As for Discovery, the road to it has been so bumpy and it's already fixing to go in a direction I wasn't wanting and it's also looking to make Spectre's brothergate look genius.

And I don't give a crap about what sites like Rotton Tomatoes say. I enjoyed the Orville and I'm looking forward to more. Since It's all I'll be able to watch since I refuse to pay for CBS all access.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I can't believe you just said this. I watched the first episode too. And despite the great production looks of this series (which is rather expensive A-style TNG-Trek), I found the first episode uneven at best. It doesn't know exactly what it wants to be. An A-class "Star Trek" spin-off? A real-action "Family Guy" kind of black comedy series? A funny-enough "Galaxy Quest" kind of spoof? A respectful homage to "Star Trek"? In all honesty, it fails the test on all four instances.

What works so well for "Family Guy" and "Ted" were the incredibly wonderful drawings/CGI of the characters. They truly engaged in the main humour/comedy of the written stories. In "The Orville" sadly it's just a rotten side dish. The foul language comes at moments were you expect a bit of "Star Trek" ethics.

Seth MacFarlane also performs like he's really in "Star Trek" at times, with a "Trek"-like seriousness, that then is intersected by humour that falls flat.

This new Series might improve in the next weeks or so. But given the rather flat, uneventful storyline of the first episode #1, I don't really think we'll see this pilot as a kick-off for more repercussions. The good thing: It makes me long to "Star Trek: Discovery" even more. I'm not surprised "The Orville" gets a flat-out "rotten" of 11% on RottenTomatoes.com:

As for Discovery, the road to it has been so bumpy and it's already fixing to go in a direction I wasn't wanting and it's also looking to make Spectre's brothergate look genius.

And I don't give a crap about what sites like Rotton Tomatoes say. I enjoyed the Orville and I'm looking forward to more. Since It's all I'll be able to watch since I refuse to pay for CBS all access.

I will, first of all, help you download the episodes of "Star Trek: Discovery" :-). So we have got that issue solved.

Secondly, there's a difference between "The Orville" and "Star Trek: Discovery". The first episode premiered from the first series, so we have a decent idea where that one is going. For "Discovery" we have yet to see what it will bring us, as nothing has premiered yet. A bumpy production road does not necessarily mean the end result will be bad.

You have to stay open-minded @Murdock. Star Trek fans by default should be open-minded, liberal and progressive, as the whole Roddenberry-premise is built on that. If you like "Deep Space Nine", you'll like "Discovery". Try to maintain an open mind, so you can be perceptive to an easier change of your pre-conceived opinion :-).
    edited September 2017 Posts: 16,330
    I will, first of all, help you download the episodes of "Star Trek: Discovery" :-). So we have got that issue solved.

Secondly, there's a difference between "The Orville" and "Star Trek: Discovery". The first episode premiered from the first series, so we have a decent idea where that one is going. For "Discovery" we have yet to see what it will bring us, as nothing has premiered yet. A bumpy production road does not necessarily mean the end result will be bad.

You have to stay open-minded @Murdock. Star Trek fans by default should be open-minded, liberal and progressive, as the whole Roddenberry-premise is built on that. If you like "Deep Space Nine", you'll like "Discovery". Try to maintain an open mind, so you can be perceptive to an easier change of your pre-conceived opinion :-).

You don't need to worry about that. I'll watch the first episode just fine as it's airing on regular TV then the rest is on CBS's money train and secondly, I do have an open mind it's just the information we have known to us is not inspiring confidence in me. I'm as open minded as they get but when things like this happens.

That's where things get on very very thin ice. Or break the ice entirely which isn't good.
    Murdock wrote: »

THIS!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,267
    Is Orville airing yet in the UK I am channel surfing unable to find it?
    Ouch! CBS all access $60/year with commercials, $100 without.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Price plans per month for Netflix are: $7.99. $9.99 and $11.99
    Which per annum is around: $95,88, $119,88 and $143,88
    The latter being completely commercial free.

So CBS All Access is rather cheap in comparison. And please note that most people don't take annual subscriptions. In case of "Star Trek: Discovery" you need to be subscribed on these months:
    - September
    - October
    - November
    - January, and
    - February

Those are the months when all first season episodes from "Star Trek: DSC" premiere. So, go to your local entertainment store and buy some Netflix or CBS All Access giftcard vouchers. They are usually cheaper too.
    Thanks, G!
    chrisisall wrote: »

So CBS All Access is rather cheap in comparison. And please note that most people don't take annual subscriptions. In case of "Star Trek: Discovery" you need to be subscribed on these months:
    - September
    - October
    - November
    - January, and
    - February

Those are the months when all first season episodes from "Star Trek: DSC" premiere. So, go to your local entertainment store and buy some Netflix or CBS All Access giftcard vouchers. They are usually cheaper too.

I pay £8.50 per month for Netflix though I get the Ultra Hd scheme, Discovery will been in Ultra hd thats one thing I am looking forward too
  • Is Orville airing yet in the UK I am channel surfing unable to find it?

It's a Fox syndicated Original series. Not on streaming platforms. You have to wait until your regional broadcaster buys the series.

In all honesty, I saw the first episode, and I was disappointed. You can also download a torrent via limetorrents.cc. That's how I watched the pilot. Won't bother to see more.
    Is Orville airing yet in the UK I am channel surfing unable to find it?

It's a Fox syndicated Original series. Not on streaming platforms. You have to wait until your regional broadcaster buys the series.

In all honesty, I saw the first episode, and I was disappointed. You can also download a torrent via limetorrents.cc. That's how I watched the pilot. Won't bother to see more.

I think it will be on Sky at some point they have FOX channel in the UK, I'll watch it if it's similar to Galaxy Quest I'll enjoy it.
    I watched the first episode and I'll watch the rest of the series.

Liked what I saw.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

- September
    - October
    - November
    - January, and
    - February

The only difference is there's likely countless more options on Netflix than there is CBS All Access, hence the price difference. What does 'CBS All Access' even offer to justify $60 a year?

Good discussion there...
    Good discussion there...

Red Letter Media make alot of comedic content though I think there opinions are well informed, I agree that Discovery has to be its own thing and TV has changed previous Trek shows just can't be remade/retread.
    I also agree that it can't all hinge on war and explosions. But like they said, maybe it's not gonna all be about that as it finds its legs.
    It will be a positive if previous Trek is introduced to a new generation, the way to look at the Discovery prologue is a key event has happened in the history of the Klingon Empire and the Federation and I am curious to see how both sides come to terms with it as the show progresses.