Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ahhh, I Love the look of the Enterprise E
    I prefer the Enterprise E to D also have a soft spot for the battering ram that is the Defiant, I was suprised to see the Vengeance was the size of a Star Destroyer.
    Have you seen this? :D

[img][/img]trek_zpsfnhndaxl.jpg
    talos7 wrote: »
    Have you seen this? :D

[img][/img]trek_zpsfnhndaxl.jpg

I often thought the Death Stars defences were no match for the Enterprise...

:))
    Give me the Enterprise over anything from Star Wars any day !!
    That video is hilarious, likewise Trek before Wars every time.
    Is there any news out there about the next Star Trek film yet ?
    barryt007 wrote: »

There have been word that because of the last films poor box office a new film may not go ahead, though it's Star Trek get a big director involved it will attract attention. Word is if a film does happen Kirk's dad will return, Chris 'Thor' Hemsworth played Kirk's dad in the first reboot film though was presumed dead.
    I had heard that too,which seems odd.
    But surely that doesn't mean that they are getting rid of Chris or Zachary etc does it ?
    I mean Simon Pegg co-writes the thing !!
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,119
    barryt007 wrote: »

There have been word that because of the last films poor box office a new film may not go ahead, though it's Star Trek get a big director involved it will attract attention. Word is if a film does happen Kirk's dad will return, Chris 'Thor' Hemsworth played Kirk's dad in the first reboot film though was presumed dead.

I think what Trek needs (the movies) is a more serious, The Next Generation-esque approach. I for instance found movies like "Interstellar", "The Martian", "Ex Machina" & "Elysium" channeling Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek vision much better than those action-driven comedies from JJ Abrahms and Justin Lin. So that's why Ridley Scott or Christopher Nolan should give Trek a try. Ooh, and let's hope the new TV Series bring back exactly that.
    Producers lean back on Action because of current climate, thoughtful science fiction which I prefer rarely makes big money for studio's. The Great thing about the Shatner films is that they made great films on relatively low budgets.
    Producers lean back on Action because of current climate, thoughtful science fiction which I prefer rarely makes big money for studio's. The Great thing about the Shatner films is that they made great films on relatively low budgets.

"The Martian", "Interstellar" and even "Elysium" all did better than the recent popcorn-Trek films. But Paramount isn't that smart as Warner, Fox or Disney.

By the way, from the Shatner films I only really enjoy TUD and TWOK.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

"The Martian", "Interstellar" and even "Elysium" all did better than the recent popcorn-Trek films. But Paramount isn't that smart as Warner, Fox or Disney.

'Elysium' made much less than the 'Star Trek' films, but the other two didn't. I'd say 'Elysium' was just as action-oriented as the 'Star Trek' movies have been, but it's been a long while since I saw the former.
    1 Star Trek Into Darkness $467.4
    2 Star Trek $385.7
    3 Star Trek Beyond $343.5

The worldwide gross on the Kelvin Timeline films is much lower than I expected.

Creasy47 wrote: »

'Elysium' made much less than the 'Star Trek' films, but the other two didn't. I'd say 'Elysium' was just as action-oriented as the 'Star Trek' movies have been, but it's been a long while since I saw the former.

"The other two didn't ". Well, that's quite an understatement no? Both massively outgrossed each of the last three Trek films.

And let's come to the point here. You're not into Star Trek. Nothing wrong with that
    Sorry, I typed a long bit of text after I entered a smiley with my android phone. But once you save and post the message, the text after the smiley and the smiley itself are gone! Grrrrr, so annoying. So ignore my last message since my conclusion is not complete.

"The other two didn't ". Well, that's quite an understatement no? Both massively outgrossed each of the last three Trek films.

And let's come to the point here. You're not into Star Trek. Nothing wrong with that

But they didn't. Wasn't meant to be an understatement at all, just demonstrating that 'Elysium' - the one that I'd say is closer to these new 'Star Trek' films than the other aforementioned two - didn't fare as well at the box office as they did. My interest in 'Star Trek' has absolutely nothing to do with it, just joining in on the discussion is all. Nothing wrong with that, indeed.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,119

But they didn't. Wasn't meant to be an understatement at all, just demonstrating that 'Elysium' - the one that I'd say is closer to these new 'Star Trek' films than the other aforementioned two - didn't fare as well at the box office as they did. My interest in 'Star Trek' has absolutely nothing to do with it, just joining in on the discussion is all. Nothing wrong with that, indeed.

You only focus on the financial affairs of things. I meant to say that you are correct about Elysium. But to me you fail to see other parts of my message. That is: The last three Trek films lack a certain richer sci-fi message that movies like "Interstellar", "The Martian", "Ex Machina", "Arrival" and even "Elysium" did have in abundance. The latter film actually addresses the immigrant crisis we are facing these days, when we don't address global income inequality.

So it would be nice, if you discuss in here, that you also understand a bit of Gene Roddenberry's Trek-vision. It's something that for me was pretty much absent in the action-driven Trek films from Justin Lin and J.J. Abrahms. Action for the sake of action, and an idiot amount of irritating lense flares to make it visually more interesting than its actual story or content.

"The Martin" for me was actually the most "Trek-esque" films of the ones I mentioned. It shows us a society in which nations like China, USA and the nations of Europe work closely together to get something done; to remove an abandoned human being from planet Mars. The same with "Arrival". How damn Original and well-thought it is to make linguistics the core sci-fi theme of a movie.....and how linguistics eventually can bring humanity closer together (one could also see that as a criticism towards much foul and aggressive language from populists like Trump).

So this is what I mean. And I am convinced Star Trek can be like that as well. Even doing much much better box-office wise, by daring to take risks. Here you go :-). But again, you're not a big fan of recent Star Trek films - like me! But I am wholheartedly a 'Trekker' and will Always stay a big fan of Roddenberry's vision. So let's hope Bryan Fuller, Rod Roddenberry, Nicholas Meyer and Alex Kurtzman can bring back that kind of 'Trek' alive again with "Star Trek: Discovery".

Here's a video I actually like, that is a bit more in line what I expect from "Star Trek". It has a lot of thoughtful quotes from the actual movies and TV Series. Actually, the finest quotes from "Star Trek":

"It's the unknown that defines our existence" @Creasy47
    Not sure what understanding the vision of 'Star Trek' has to do with the financial side of things; I was commenting on box office success, like everyone else was. No harm done!
    Not sure what understanding the vision of 'Star Trek' has to do with the financial side of things; I was commenting on box office success, like everyone else was. No harm done!

And that wasn't my main aim, as you can read in my previous post. No harm done, but also no nice deeper discussion about Trek then :-).

And that wasn't my main aim, as you can read in my previous post. No harm done, but also no nice deeper discussion about Trek then :-).

Apologies then, I took "all did better" as a comment on the box office. Seemed that's what you meant, since others had already brought it up, but I suppose not.

I was actually going to ask if you enjoyed 'Arrival' for the same reasons as 'The Martian,' but I see you mentioned it! It did bring up the interesting angle of everyone joining together and destroying the aliens, or everyone joining together to understand the right path and "save the day," of sorts.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm happy with how the movies are but I would like to see a bit more exploration and a lighter tone.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm happy with how the movies are but I would like to see a bit more exploration and a lighter tone.

You're kidding no ;-)? Imean, really, the last three Trek movies are as 'popcorn fun' as one can get.
    Murdock wrote: »

You're kidding no ;-)? Imean, really, the last three Trek movies are as 'popcorn fun' as one can get.

No I'm not kidding. I've enjoyed the last 3 movies. Moreso than the Next Generation films. I'm a fan of the Original Series formula. Wagon Train to the Stars.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    spock.jpg
    That's on the CD cover of the soundtrack I have for The Search for Spock

CD
    R-4344296-1362333638-4509.jpeg.jpg

http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/09/early-star-trek-feature-film-artwork-that-didnt-make-it/

vengeance.jpg

tmp-unused.jpg

More images in link
    Happy Birthday Wrath of Khan
    wrath-of-khan.jpg
    edited June 2017 Posts: 7,981
    Oops, I missed that!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Captain Picard got to taste a very particular champagne on the podium of last weekend's Canadian F1 Grand Prix: