Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm honestly not a fan of the Discovery theme...it's very sloppy in opinion. It does a nice homage to the Original Series opening notes before roughly transitioning into a rather forgettable violin loop melody and sloppily ending on the classic Trek fanfair motif which doesn't really sound too good to me. Like it sounds almost midi.

It's better than Enterprise's theme so that's an improvement in my book. :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'm honestly not a fan of the Discovery theme...it's very sloppy in opinion. It does a nice homage to the Original Series opening notes before roughly transitioning into a rather forgettable violin loop melody and sloppily ending on the classic Trek fanfair motif which doesn't really sound too good to me. Like it sounds almost midi.

I have to agree I instantly forget the Discovery theme soon as it finishes, during the show there is a up tempo reworking of the theme which I think is better.

Yes Enterprise theme was misguided, the show initially tried to distance itself from Star Trek which was crazy.

The Voyager theme I used to hum and I was glued to the opening credit sequence back in the day lol I don't get that with Discovery though I think they are going for a Westworld TV show feel with the opening credits visuals and theme.

I have to agree I instantly forget the Discovery theme soon as it finishes, during the show there is a up tempo reworking of the theme which I think is better.

Yes Enterprise theme was misguided, the show initially tried to distance itself from Star Trek which was crazy.

The Voyager theme I used to hum and I was glued to the opening credit sequence back in the day lol I don't get that with Discovery though I think they are going for a Westworld TV show feel with the opening credits visuals and theme.

Yeah It's like if you took the Dun Dun Dunnnn part of the Bond theme, Slapped a snippet of Snow Plane after it an ended with the ending guitar twang. It's just messy and forgettable sadly. Apparently for Enteprise "Archer's Theme" was supposed to be the opener and the song they got for the opener was suppose to be the closer. Another fine mess. But I agree. There is no beating the TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager themes. All very memorable and hummable. Heck even The Orville's theme is extremely memorable and hummable. Which is very refreshing in this rather bland and forgettable time for music.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Yeah It's like if you took the Dun Dun Dunnnn part of the Bond theme, Slapped a snippet of Snow Plane after it an ended with the ending guitar twang. It's just messy and forgettable sadly. Apparently for Enteprise "Archer's Theme" was supposed to be the opener and the song they got for the opener was suppose to be the closer. Another fine mess. But I agree. There is no beating the TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager themes. All very memorable and hummable. Heck even The Orville's theme is extremely memorable and hummable. Which is very refreshing in this rather bland and forgettable time for music.

Archer's Theme would have been better, or even the vocals dropped from the Enterprise theme used.

The Orville still not appeared in the UK yet, I am looking forward to watching it I have managed to avoid spoilers though from what I have read sound positive.

Archer's Theme would have been better, or even the vocals dropped from the Enterprise theme used.

The Orville still not appeared in the UK yet, I am looking forward to watching it I have managed to avoid spoilers though from what I have read sound positive.

Agreed. A fan made an edit of the Enterprise title sequence with Archer's theme and it was much better. As for the Orville I read it was recently picked up by Fox UK so hopefully it will be hitting your airwaves soon enough, It's excellent. Here's the theme for your listening pleasure. :)

Agreed. A fan made an edit of the Enterprise title sequence with Archer's theme and it was much better. As for the Orville I read it was recently picked up by Fox UK so hopefully it will be hitting your airwaves soon enough, It's excellent. Here's the theme for your listening pleasure. :)

The Orville theme sounds upbeat and hopeful, I have FOX network they are just a bit slow with content being released in the UK sometimes. I think The Gifted may see its run finish before The Orville appears, I look online for start dates though nothing last time I looked.
    Agreed, It's a great theme. The score in the show is equally great and memorable. Hopefully it comes sooner than later. I didn't find any information on reddit so sadly I don't have any information.
    @Murdock Just checked geektown.co.uk they have all upcoming shows listed still no date, The Orville will probably be New Year or Spring here now.
    Oh man that's unfortunate and frustrating.
    It's not too bad my current programs I need to catch up on is extensive, there is too much to watch that's good quality these days.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Quentin Tarantino hatches an idea for the series, as JJ Abrams sets up a writer's room to begin work. Tarantino may possibly direct:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Quentin Tarantino hatches an idea for the series, as JJ Abrams sets up a writer's room to begin work. Tarantino may possibly direct:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie-jj-abrams-1202220032/

Why not as a Trek fan I am up for ideas and for Trek to continue, plus Tarantino knows his Trek.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A Tarantino Star Trek? Yes, please!
    I don't know how to feel about this.
    The films look dead in the water at this point so I'll go with this news, plus Tarantino really is a Trek Uber fan he knows it as well as anyone.
    So why am I getting the inpression Tarantino has already been signed to direct? That can´t be now, can it?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    boldfinger wrote: »
    So why am I getting the inpression Tarantino has already been signed to direct? That can´t be now, can it?

It was his idea that was pitched, so it was all but a given that he would direct, especially with yesterday's confirmation that it would be R-rated.
    QT has always focussed on character and tension. Something lacking within the recent movies IMHO. He loves cinema and he loves ST. It's early days but nobody can say that he won't give it 100%. The movie business never fails to surprise
    One of the episodes that Tarantino has said that he would like to expand into a two hour feature is one of my all-time favorites of any of the series; it's Yesterday's Enterprise
    I've always thought it would have made a great film for combining the Kirk and Picard eras. It's a shame they didn't save it for the first Next Generation film.

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/yesterdays-enterprise

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I had lost interest in the series at this point, but if Tarantino is in, so am I.
    The last Star Trek film I particularly liked was First Contact. Having Tarantino make a new one sounds like I won't be interested again anytime soon. As long as it keeps him away from Bond I suppose.
    With the rumors of Abrams wanting to bring Chris Hemsworth back and Bob Orci's original plan for Star Trek Beyond in having them fix the timeline to be prime once more, could be pretty interesting to see them do a Yesterday's Enterprise/City on the Edge of Forever type story.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,376

Some interesting thoughts on Star Trek by Quentin Tarantino

An interview prior to the recent news.
    Wasn't the return of Hemsworth part of the Pegg script?
    talos7 wrote: »

I thought it was part of whatever Star Trek 4 was going to be, but since that seems to be in limbo and Abrams has moved on to Tarantino's idea, that may never happen. I'd be surprised if it was brought over and utilized.
    talos7 wrote: »

No it was originally Roberto Orci's idea before he was removed from the project then Pegg and Doug Jung were brought in to start over from scratch.
    Man, I agree 100% about Kahn; Cumberbatch is a great actor but he is not Kahn. I think the original choice for the role, Benicio Del Toro, would have been more suitable
    Benicio Del Toro would have been a great Khan.