Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @mattjoes, the scene I’m talking about is when...
    Charlize Theron sees an illusion of a demon in the mirror the woman gave her in that psychiatric ward. Then she locks herself in and slits her throat with the broken glasses of the mirror.

Very disturbing, that scene.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    @mattjoes, the scene I’m talking about is when...
    Charlize Theron sees an illusion of a demon in the mirror the woman gave her in that psychiatric ward. Then she locks herself in and slits her throat with the broken glasses of the mirror.

Very disturbing, that scene.
    Agreed. That character's situation over the course of the film is truly tragic.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Farewell, My Lovely (1975). Robert Mitchum is a joy to watch. He doesn't act, he just is. The mystery is compelling and I couldn't detect any loose ends in the (admittedly complicated) plot. Jack O'Halloran and Charlotte Rampling are very good as well.

Seeing Mitchum/Marlowe in this got me thinking about what it means to be 'cool.' Because he certainly is. But what makes him so? I think it's the combination of great skill, confidence and intelligence contrasted with the jadedness, the disillusionment, the lack of clear purpose. There is a quality of existential angst one can relate to on some level. There certainly are cool characters who don't fit into this mold but it's one type of coolness, for sure. Dirty Harry, Steve McQueen are cool in the same way.

I like both Mitchum and Rampling, but I prefer The Big Sleep out of Mitchum's two Marlowe films.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,185
    00Agent wrote: »
    The Devil's Advocate. I liked it. Begins as a story in the style of John Grisham, and slowly but surely it grows more sinister, as Keanu Reeves begins to sacrifice any values he might possess in pursuing supposed success, while a feeling of pervasive evil and lack of scruples and morals begins to invade the story. All of this human decadence is seen through the prism of (what else?) the corporate world at the dawn of the new millennium. Keanu's acting is solid but not outstanding, though his innately warm personality makes up for any shortcomings in the acting department, and while you may or may not find him engaging, he is engaged when playing this role. Great support from Charlize Theron, and of course, Al Pacino, who can ham it up with the best of them. He has some truly superb dialogue at the end, in describing the paradoxes that make up the human experience as supposedly planned by the man upstairs, who is described as someone who placed the rules of life in opposition for his own sick amusement. One can argue otherwise, I'm sure, but Pacino's speeches do make sense in their own subversive way if one takes a less charitable perspective towards the universe and God. They're tempting to subscribe to, much like Keanu is tempted by success, vanity and Connie Nielsen in a red dress.

Interesting thoughts @Mattjoes, i enjoyed The Devils Advocate as well. Al Pacino playing the Devil himself and going all philosophical on us? Count me the hell in!
    It appears we share the same passions.
    I like the way you phrased that.

So you saw what I did there ;)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Nolan's DARK KNIGHT trilogy

Very little I can say that hasn't already been said.
    I think this is the best Batman product in the live action medium thus far released.

10outof10-e1501956910502.png
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY
    SECOND_INSET.0.jpg

There are a few good sequences here, but so much of the time I found myself bored. Bottom three SW movie for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I think this is the best Batman product in the live action medium thus far released.

Even though I love Keaton's movies a LOT, I cannot disagree here.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,556

I can't argue with that, my first full watch of TDK on 4K is imminent.

P.s. I love the10/10 Bat Rating
    Just watched Quigley Down Under... I previously stated here that Hannie Caulder was my favourite western- that has changed. Now these two are my two co-favourites. Damn I love Quigley. Just ordered the Blu Ray of it, even though the DVD was pretty good quality. There was NOTHING not perfect in this movie. Sorry Clint, your films are definitely great too... ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Just watched Quigley Down Under... I previously stated here that Hannie Caulder was my favourite western- that has changed. Now these two are my two co-favourites. Damn I love Quigley. Just ordered the Blu Ray of it, even though the DVD was pretty good quality. There was NOTHING not perfect in this movie. Sorry Clint, your films are definitely great too... ;)

I saw QUIGLEY in the cinema and loved it. Great Selleck film, with Alan Rickman in a great performance.
    Underrated film, IMO.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Farewell, My Lovely (1975). Robert Mitchum is a joy to watch. He doesn't act, he just is. The mystery is compelling and I couldn't detect any loose ends in the (admittedly complicated) plot. Jack O'Halloran and Charlotte Rampling are very good as well.

Seeing Mitchum/Marlowe in this got me thinking about what it means to be 'cool.' Because he certainly is. But what makes him so? I think it's the combination of great skill, confidence and intelligence contrasted with the jadedness, the disillusionment, the lack of clear purpose. There is a quality of existential angst one can relate to on some level. There certainly are cool characters who don't fit into this mold but it's one type of coolness, for sure. Dirty Harry, Steve McQueen are cool in the same way.

I like both Mitchum and Rampling, but I prefer The Big Sleep out of Mitchum's two Marlowe films.
    Then I must add it to my cellar.

But seriously, I'll have to check it out one of these days. Especially since critical consensus is that its the weakest of the two. Now I want to see what it's got to offer.

I caught the second half of it on cable. Certainly made a positive impression. Tom Selleck is a great leading man.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I saw QUIGLEY in the cinema and loved it. Great Selleck film, with Alan Rickman in a great performance.
    Underrated film, IMO.

I'm SO sad I never saw this theatrically! Lucky bloody YOU! ;)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 3,000
    I just watched Upgrade. A very interesting sifi action experience. I absolutely did not see the ending coming. It’s a film that will shock you with gore and leave you shocked at the end.
    Bad Ass
    Tank Girl

The latter is better than it's reputation would suggest. Definitely a better comic book movie than movies like Batman and Robin.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 684
    We have some John Carpenter fans around here, yes? I took in my first viewing of IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS (1994) last night. Not in love, but I did greatly enjoy it. Sam Neill really takes the thing on his back. Not sure what it was about this performance, but it's the only time I've seen him in anything and thought that maybe his Bond could've turned out.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I'd call myself a Carpenter fan, but I don't particularly like anything of his post They Live (1988). Though I must admit I didn't mind The Ward (2010) so much as it felt more like an earlier Carpenter movie should feel like.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'd call myself a Carpenter fan, but I don't particularly like anything of his post They Live (1988). Though I must admit I didn't mind The Ward (2010) so much as it felt more like an earlier Carpenter movie should feel like.

John Carpenter was my idol growing up in the early 80's. With the advent of home video i was able to catch up with all his stuff i couldn't see at the cinema.

My first Carpenter film i saw in the cinema was Christine.

Like bondsum i find his post They Live stuff pretty weak.
    Justice League. Again. It's just a fun 2 hrs. And I found this at CVS for $5.99. They usually don't sell licensed stuff in their die cast cars, but I guess the manufacturer decided to unload them for quick sale. SVFTLbw.jpg
  • Logan Lucky
    Unfinished Business
    Léon: The Professional
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    A Quiet Place (2018)

Simple premise; in a post apocalyptic world alien creatures roam the earth and hunt thier prey through sound only. How an isolated family survive without making a sound is the scenario.

This is basically an hour and a half of suspense. It's very well done and the ways the family come up with how to live silently are ingenious and thought provoking.

It's not a deep or particularly enjoyable film but it's certainly effective at what it sets out to do. The scene where a stranded Emily Blunt attempts to give birth silently is gripping and well acted.

The actual alien/monsters work better in quick shots as the CGI when we see them in full is unsuprisingly weak.

Well worth a watch.
    Security - Zorro versus Ghandi guess who won, the swordy fella of course as the other one was diaper wearing peace hippy. That said Banderas did a nice job in this die-hard at a shopping mall. Fun movie.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 15,851
    DEATH WISH (2018)

I finally caught this Eli Roth directed remake of the Charles Bronson classic. I'm a pretty big fan of the original series. This film has more the tone and feel of one of the sequels than it does the original.

Far more of an action film with updated technology. In some ways more gory, but arguably less violent. The initial attack on Paul Kersey's family here is more of a robbery than an outright assault/rape. Therefore it has less impact. Like the original this film does give a fair amount of build up before Kersey turns vigilante. I do prefer Bronson's gradual progression there, really based more on the courage to use self defense rather than all out revenge as Bruce Willis does here. Which is the main reason I felt this film owes more to say, DEATH WISH 3 .

That said, DEATH WISH 3 was probably my favorite of the sequels, and this film is a lot of fun in that sense. I was riveted while I watched it and never bored.
    When the film's trailers were released I was a bit iffy on the change of Kersey's profession from architect to surgeon here. In the end it didn't bother me and I went with it.
    Overall, I liked it.
    @ToTheRight
    You have convinced me, sir. I'll give the film a try, literally right now based on your post. :)
    @ToTheRight
    You have convinced me, sir. I'll give the film a try, literally right now based on your post. :)

I'd be curious to know what you think of it, @DarthDimi .
    The film certainly got bad reviews, and I can see why many didn't care for it. I do think Bronson's Kersey, especially in the original had a better background story being an ex Korean war veteran and so forth. The new film is missing those little touches (especially the character played by the wonderful Stuart Margolin) that gradually lead him to vigilantism.
    Still, Bruce Willis kind of does his own thing with the part, and there are some funny scenes amongst the violence. This one actually makes me in the mood for one of the sequels. I should collect those and have a DEATH WISH marathon.
    Thanks for that review @ToTheRight
    I was wondering if this new Death Wish was worth a damn
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I liked the trailer, and considered watching it, but in the end I gave it a pass. Maybe a free watch in the future.

I often tend to avoid remakes, but was able to enjoy this one.
    I must admit I rather liked DEATH WISH, @ToTheRight. Thanks for the suggestion!

Death-Wish--759x500.jpg

I have seen the original series two or three times. Rather like them as mediocre entertainment. When Eli Roth announced a remake, I was happy. He's not the best filmmaker around by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm a gorehound and Cabin Fever, Hostel, ... touched my sweet spots. I really wanted to watch the remake of DEATH WISH but when the moment came, I let it pass. Other movies took priority. I'm actually glad to have seen the film now. I'm also rather surprised. Roth held back on the gore, at least by his standards. The narrative of the film is much more solid than many reviews had me think. And yes, there's some good, juicy comedy in this one that I really appreciate.

Critics can say what they want. There is nothing wrong with a cheap exploitation film that serves as a secret revenge fantasy. And we're all having that fantasy. I rather enjoy it via a movie than in real life.

Like many remakes, it's a redundant effort, but the film exists and I enjoyed it. There are attempts at satire which I actually rather liked. DEATH WISH wasn't a great steak, but it was a good bag of crisps. :)
    I must admit I rather liked DEATH WISH, @ToTheRight. Thanks for the suggestion!

Death-Wish--759x500.jpg

I have seen the original series two or three times. Rather like them as mediocre entertainment. When Eli Roth announced a remake, I was happy. He's not the best filmmaker around by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm a gorehound and Cabin Fever, Hostel, ... touched my sweet spots. I really wanted to watch the remake of DEATH WISH but when the moment came, I let it pass. Other movies took priority. I'm actually glad to have seen the film now. I'm also rather surprised. Roth held back on the gore, at least by his standards. The narrative of the film is much more solid than many reviews had me think. And yes, there's some good, juicy comedy in this one that I really appreciate.

Critics can say what they want. There is nothing wrong with a cheap exploitation film that serves as a secret revenge fantasy. And we're all having that fantasy. I rather enjoy it via a movie than in real life.

Like many remakes, it's a redundant effort, but the film exists and I enjoyed it. There are attempts at satire which I actually rather liked. DEATH WISH wasn't a great steak, but it was a good bag of crisps. :)

Excellent review! Glad you enjoyed it.