Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Guardian 1990 first time I have watched this since its initial release, it's a daft horror which is watchable though when you realise the film is directed by William Friedkin it's poor compared to his other films. The film is notable for Carey Lowell post LTK, and Jenny Seagrove looks kind of hot despite her bizarre role
    She is a tree Nymph, that turns into bark.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THE RAID & THE RAID 2

theraidposter.jpg?itok=17vjlm0l

Simply not growing tired of those two.

For fans of these films, a comic book was announced by TITAN comics. Pre-orders are being accepted as we speak.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Fatal Attraction (1987)
    9Gh0E1y.jpg

I was in the mood for some Michael Douglas, and decided upon this 1987 Adrian Lyne (Unfaithful, 9+1/2 Weeks, Flashdance, Indecent Proposal) directed romantic thriller, co-starring Glenn Close and Anne Archer. Douglas plays Dan Gallagher, a successful Manhattan lawyer. Dan appears to lead a charmed life. He is happily married to Archer’s Beth and has an adorable daughter Ellen, played by Ellen Hamilton Latzen. “I’m lucky”, he proudly proclaims, mid-film. Unfortunately for him, irresistible temptation soon presents itself in the form of Alexandra “Alex” Frost (Close), a single and modern publishing editor who he meets at a work party. Both Dan and Alex are immediately attracted to one another, and decide to fulfill their sexual desires over a passionate weekend during which Beth and Ellen are out of town. Why not? After all, both initially appear to be mature, discrete, consenting adults fully aware of the potential physical and emotional consequences of their actions. Well, appearances can be deceiving. Alex becomes increasingly erratic and emotionally clingy when Beth returns, exhibiting clear symptoms of psychological hysteria. As the film progresses her behavior escalates to the near fanatical, and when she starts to intrude on Dan’s loving family he realizes that a line has been crossed and extreme steps may be appropriate to protect those closest to him.

This is a really engaging and yet deeply disturbing film. Human behavior and its consequences are something I’ve always been fascinated by, and the manner in which Alex’s irrational obsession and emotional frailty unfold onscreen is wonderfully depicted by Close. She almost seems normal in the beginning, although there are clear signs that she is anything but. That’s a testament to the writing and also her acting, which is truly top notch. Douglas is quite brilliant as always, and this sort of wronged (yet not entirely innocent) everyman is the type of role he traditionally excels in. One has to sympathize with Dan for this film to work, and Douglas makes that easy to do. Archer too is perfect as the loving, forgiving spouse with a hidden steely resolve. In fact, if the film has a visible flaw it is the suspension of disbelief required to accept that Dan would even consider cheating on Beth. What a fool!

I’m sure this kind of film wouldn’t go down too well these days, in the era of #MeToo and what not. Independent career woman Alex is not portrayed in a particularly favourable light, while homemaker Beth is. Furthermore one could argue that infidelity, while certainly not encouraged here, is also not adequately punished. Could these issues have been addressed more seriously? Yes, most definitely. However, this is ultimately a Hollywood box office friendly product designed to provoke and entertain, and imho in that respect it delivers beautifully.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Fatal Attraction (1987)
    9Gh0E1y.jpg

I was in the mood for some Michael Douglas, and decided upon this 1987 Adrian Lyne (Unfaithful, 9+1/2 Weeks, Flashdance, Indecent Proposal) directed romantic thriller, co-starring Glenn Close and Anne Archer. Douglas plays Dan Gallagher, a successful Manhattan lawyer. Dan appears to lead a charmed life. He is happily married to Archer’s Beth and has an adorable daughter Ellen, played by Ellen Hamilton Latzen. “I’m lucky”, he proudly proclaims, mid-film. Unfortunately for him, irresistible temptation soon presents itself in the form of Alexandra “Alex” Frost (Close), a single and modern publishing editor who he meets at a work party. Both Dan and Alex are immediately attracted to one another, and decide to fulfill their sexual desires over a passionate weekend during which Beth and Ellen are out of town. Why not? After all, both initially appear to be mature, discrete, consenting adults fully aware of the potential physical and emotional consequences of their actions. Well, appearances can be deceiving. Alex becomes increasingly erratic and emotionally clingy when Beth returns, exhibiting clear symptoms of psychological hysteria. As the film progresses her behavior escalates to the near fanatical, and when she starts to intrude on Dan’s loving family he realizes that a line has been crossed and extreme steps may be appropriate to protect those closest to him.

This is a really engaging and yet deeply disturbing film. Human behavior and its consequences are something I’ve always been fascinated by, and the manner in which Alex’s irrational obsession and emotional frailty unfold onscreen is wonderfully depicted by Close. She almost seems normal in the beginning, although there are clear signs that she is anything but. That’s a testament to the writing and also her acting, which is truly top notch. Douglas is quite brilliant as always, and this sort of wronged (yet not entirely innocent) everyman is the type of role he traditionally excels in. One has to sympathize with Dan for this film to work, and Douglas makes that easy to do. Archer too is perfect as the loving, forgiving spouse with a hidden steely resolve. In fact, if the film has a visible flaw it is the suspension of disbelief required to accept that Dan would even consider cheating on Beth. What a fool!

I’m sure this kind of film wouldn’t go down too well these days, in the era of #MeToo and what not. Independent career woman Alex is not portrayed in a particularly favourable light, while homemaker Beth is. Furthermore one could argue that infidelity, while certainly not encouraged here, is also not adequately punished. Could these issues have been addressed more seriously? Yes, most definitely. However, this is ultimately a Hollywood box office friendly product designed to provoke and entertain, and imho in that respect it delivers beautifully.

Do you think they should have kept the original ending where Alex commits suicide?
    @BAIN123, I just looked that up after reading your post. That's a tricky question to answer. I think the film would have been more realistic if they had done that, but it wouldn't have had the crowd pleasing shock value either. Much of the excitement I get from watching it is due to the build up to the inevitably gruesome and Hollywood style conclusion. So on balance I think they got it right. It's a difficult decision though.
    From Dusk ‘Till Dawn.

An intense thriller that turns into delightfully trashy, geeky nonsense. Would you expect anything less from Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez?

...and several years before Shaun of the Dead

BAIN123 wrote: »
    From Dusk ‘Till Dawn.

An intense thriller that turns into delightfully trashy, geeky nonsense. Would you expect anything less from Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez?

...and several years before Shaun of the Dead

Wouldn't be against those two working together more often! Have a soft spot for the Grindhouse double feature myself.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Ocean's Eleven (2001). An old favorite I hadn't watched in a few years. Magnificent film, and top-notch entertainment. And the music!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Ocean's Eleven (2001). An old favorite I hadn't watched in a few years. Magnificent film, and top-notch entertainment. And the music!
    I watched that film three times this month! :))
    It is highly watchable! I think I'll give another watch in a couple of days. It also makes me want to check out more Soderbergh films. I'm not well-versed in his filmography.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 15,423
    It is highly watchable! I think I'll give another watch in a couple of days. It also makes me want to check out more Soderbergh films. I'm not well-versed in his filmography.
    If anything, Soderbergh has some very interesting camerawork and editing. Sort of in a very sarcastic tone but without condescension. That said, I also watched Haywire a week ago, and that opening scene with the teamwork spoke really to me as if it were a Mission: Impossible film in line with the television series. Soderbergh should definitely do a M:I film post-Cruise.
    Logan.

Simply the best Xmen movie I have ever sat down and watched, Brilliant!!!

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

Watched this as I wanted to see Charlie Hunnam. He dos remind me of a young DC, and have to say I was impressed and did enjoy the movie. Whether he could play Bond? I am not sure?
    If anything, Soderbergh has some very interesting camerawork and editing. Sort of in a very sarcastic tone but without condescension. That said, I also watched Haywire a week ago, and that opening scene with the teamwork spoke really to me as if it were a Mission: Impossible film in line with the television series. Soderbergh should definitely do a M:I film post-Cruise.

Haywire - there's a film I need to watch again!
    It's definitely an entertaining film. :D

Indeed it is! Haven't seen much of Soderbergh's work, but I do like this one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Haywire is BRUTAL! I love it.
    Incredibles 2 (2018). Extremely satisfying. No, it’s not as great as the first, but it’s still terrific and a top-notch sequel.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Haywire is BRUTAL! I love it.
    Seems right up my alley.

By the way, I've read some interviews with Soderbergh and it appears he is quite the thinker. His filmmaking experience and his efforts to improve his skills always come across in his words. Cool guy.

And he's a big OHMSS fan!

Fatal Attraction (1987)
    9Gh0E1y.jpg

Well said!

Michael Douglas carved an interesting niche for himself in the late eighties and nineties, playing flawed characters who had usually done something wrong in the past, but who were charismatic to watch and whose humanity and sense of decency you still had faith on. He pushed the ethical boundaries of the Hollywood hero. This film is one example, along with Black Rain, Basic Instinct, Falling Down (to some extent) and The Game. The latter is the most amusing in the sense that Douglas plays a seasoned businessman who always appears to be in control, but who winds up being played for a fool all throughout the film. Basic Instinct, I'd argue, is the one film in which his character pushes the ethical boundaries the most (and Douglas agreed with this in an interview at the time of release). His character is fairly unlikeable and has a really shady past.

@BAIN123, I just looked that up after reading your post. That's a tricky question to answer. I think the film would have been more realistic if they had done that, but it wouldn't have had the crowd pleasing shock value either. Much of the excitement I get from watching it is due to the build up to the inevitably gruesome and Hollywood style conclusion. So on balance I think they got it right. It's a difficult decision though.
    I think they could've gone with either ending and wound up with a fine film in either case, though it would've been a different type of movie, for sure. As you imply, with the ending they did go with, there is a visceral sense of satisfaction. The other ending would've been murkier and emphasized the faults of the characters instead of the intensity of their conflict.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Just saw Incredibles 2. Absolutely fantastic! And I loved the obvious Thunderball reference involving a hydrofoil.
    Fatal Attraction (1987)
    9Gh0E1y.jpg

Well said!

Michael Douglas carved an interesting niche for himself in the late eighties and nineties, playing flawed characters who had usually done something wrong in the past, but who were charismatic to watch and whose humanity and sense of decency you still had faith on. He pushed the ethical boundaries of the Hollywood hero. This film is one example, along with Black Rain, Basic Instinct, Falling Down (to some extent) and The Game. The latter is the most amusing in the sense that Douglas plays a seasoned businessman who always appears to be in control, but who winds up being played for a fool all throughout the film. Basic Instinct, I'd argue, is the one film in which his character pushes the ethical boundaries the most (and Douglas agreed with this in an interview at the time of release). His character is fairly unlikeable and has a really shady past.
    Thanks. You're absolutely right about Douglas pushing the ethical boundaries of a hero. Quite the provocateur! He always touched on some important topics while doing it, including infidelity or sexual obsession (Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct and A Perfect Murder), workplace harassment (Disclosure), the impact of rampant capitalism on those lower down the rung (in the disturbing Falling Down) & the excesses of capitalism & ambition on the soul of those at the top (The Game and of course Wall Street).

He remains, along with Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise & Harrison Ford, one of my favourite actors. They don't make them like these guys anymore. I used to anxiously wait for his next project in the mid to late 90s, because they were all just so good. Once he got married his output declined unfortunately. A Perfect Murder was one of his last great ones, and I highly recommend it. Essentially, it's a remake of Hitchcock's Dial M For Murder, but reimagined for the new era. Very good film. Another excellent one which falls under the radar and is mostly forgotten is The Ghost & The Darkness. He also made a mid-80's tv type thriller with a plot which mirrors Magnum Force (Hal Holbrook co-stars in a similar role to the one he plays in that film) entitled The Star Chamber. It's a bit low key, but he's great in it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My favourite Michael Douglas films: Black Rain, Falling Down and Ant-Man. He was also very good in One Night at McCool s .
    My favourite Michael Douglas films: Black Rain, Falling Down and Ant-Man. He was also very good in One Night at McCool s .
    I haven't seen the last one and will try to find a copy somewhere. I also must see Traffic and Wonder Boys one day.
    I really must watch Black Rain and The Ghost and the Darkness again. I remember enjoying A Perfect Murder. The Star Chamber was directed by Peter Hyams, so it's likely to be a decent watch at the very least.

---

Ever since I put together a list of films I've watched I've felt compelled to watch movies left and right. I just revisited After the Sunset. I think the critics were out of their minds in thrashing this one. It's a very lighthearted and "casual" movie, but it's highly entertaining and well made. The setting is gorgeous, with plenty of lavishness on display; the cast is good; and the film is peppered with light comedy, and some enjoyable twists. Harrelson is the standout of the cast-- he's Daffy Duck to Brosnan's Bugs Bunny!
    I haven't seen the last one and will try to find a copy somewhere.

The director is from my hometown.

Is this one in which Liv Tyler washes a car?

Is this one in which Liv Tyler washes a car?

Yes, one of many great scenes. Matt Dillon and John Candy are also on fire here.
    Central Intelligence.

OMG I cannot recall the last time I laughed so much at a film. Johnson and Hart make a brilliant duo. From beginning to end I had a smile on my face. Just what I needed today!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @RogueAgent

You laughed at or with the film?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,696
    I just revisited After the Sunset. I think the critics were out of their minds in thrashing this one. It's a very lighthearted and "casual" movie, but it's highly entertaining and well made. The setting is gorgeous, with plenty of lavishness on display; the cast is good; and the film is peppered with light comedy, and some enjoyable twists. Harrelson is the standout of the cast-- he's Daffy Duck to Brosnan's Bugs Bunny!
    Best review I've ever read for this movie!!!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I just revisited After the Sunset. I think the critics were out of their minds in thrashing this one. It's a very lighthearted and "casual" movie, but it's highly entertaining and well made. The setting is gorgeous, with plenty of lavishness on display; the cast is good; and the film is peppered with light comedy, and some enjoyable twists. Harrelson is the standout of the cast-- he's Daffy Duck to Brosnan's Bugs Bunny!
    Best review I've ever read for this movie!!!
    Thank you ;)