Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I'll be sure to pick that up then. You're right. It's an embarrassment that I've not seen the first one yet!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames all is set for me to watch the Jon Hamm spy/thriller Beirut in a couple of days. Really excited for it, Hamm is an excellent actor and the trailers reminded me of a Bourne-style action/thriller.
    I've yet to see Beirut @DaltonCraig007. It's one I've left for home video and am looking forward to it once it's released. The trailers looked pretty decent. Hope you enjoy it.
    Action_Jackson_film_poster.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Star Trek The Motion Picture there are probably 4 people on here who appreciate how awesome an experience this film is,

I like it a lot. It's a film you can just lose yourself in. It's slow pace works because you get to take your time in seeing the incredible visuals. The Enterprise going to warp has never been bettered.

Fantastic score from Jerry Goldsmith as well.

Agree it's a film you can immerse yourself in, the visuals are very creative compared with many modern CGI.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Star Trek The Motion Picture there are probably 4 people on here who appreciate how awesome an experience this film is,
    Saw this on its opening day in London in '79 with lots of Trekies dressed up in various costumes. Loved the opening with Goldsmith's Klingon music. The score was sumptuous. Overall, I thought it was a pretty damn impressive looking movie. The only niggle I had at the time was that I felt it was perhaps too lofty for its own good, lacking some of the fun that the original TV series did so well.

However, on reflection, I think it's perhaps the best Trek movie to come out alongside Khan. After the novelty of seeing the new Enterprise for 10 years (which was a big deal back in '79) it perhaps goes on a little too long for repeat viewings. That said, I absolutely loved it when I first saw it. This was one that a lot of the movie critics didn't like as I recall. Then again, a lot didn't like Alien, either.

I envy you i have seen the majority of the films on the big screen though was only 5 back in 79, I really should try and get hold of the TV version. The re edited version certainly runs better though I would like to see any extra scenes I have not seen for years. Though I think the TV version will only ever exist on VHS.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    bondjames wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

I had some difficulty finding something to view last night, and am glad that I finally decided on this early 90's Tom Clancy thriller based on the Jack Ryan character. It’s as good as I remembered it. In my humble view this is a textbook example of how to make a compelling spy based film from which a viewer can learn something as well as be entertained. It’s got it all, including an endearing and humble hero in everyman Harrison Ford, a chilling, obsessed villain in Sean Bean (in a riveting performance), a brave & mature heroine (the delectable Anne Archer), an interesting premise (revenge, politics & extremism), memorable supporting characters (played by gravitas-filled stalwarts like Samuel Jackson, Patrick Bergin, James Earl Jones, Richard Harris & James Fox, among others), and a tension filled score which wonderfully incorporates topical cues (by the late, great James Horner). Director Philip Noyce (Clear & Present Danger, The Bone Collector) does a great job of holding it all together and manages the pacing very well. The film is gripping from start to finish, and every character has a chance to shine with small moments - there is nothing superfluous here. Despite many action filled scenes, it's the quieter moments that are most memorable for me, including when the protagonist pieces together a significant piece of a puzzle at CIA HQ (love the manner in which they show how the investigative mind works) and a covert assassination scene which predates (and foreshadows) the Bin Laden ending and the all too prevalent drone conversation of today. The finale is a bit OTT (and recalls Cape Fear) but imho provides a satisfying conclusion to a fantastic film.

PS: A part of me wonders whether this film in some way influenced GE. Sean Bean was chosen as villain and the tag line for this film (Not For Honour. Not For Country. For His Wife and Child) reminds me of "For England James? No, For Me"
    I enjoy it quite a bit, though I prefer Clear and Present Danger. I especially like the satellite scene, and when Ryan threatens to conduct his own smear campaign against the IRA if they don't tell him where the bad guys are. Impassioned acting by Harrison Ford, who as you say, plays an "endearing and humble hero." Those types of characters can be a bit boring but not in this case, in great part thanks to Ford.

I also agree that there's nothing superfluous in the film.

The IRA was the subject matter of some very enjoyable thrillers in the nineties. Blown Away, Ronin and this one, among others. And of course, more recently we had The Foreigner.

Edit: I think it's safe to assume Sean Bean's role in Patriot Games went a long way toward winning him his part in GoldenEye. In both films he comes across as a rather charming villain.
    I just viewed Clear And Present Danger yesterday actually. I like that one too, but I find it's much slower than Patriot Games. More cerebral and thought provoking. Less immediate. It's much more focused on Washington 'inside baseball' and political machinations. Consequently it resonates a little less with me emotionally.
    Accurately put.

Having said that, the set pieces are very well done, especially the vehicle ambush on the streets of Columbia, the missile strikes and the finale. Great cast too, especially Henry Czerny, Willem Dafoe and Joaquim de Almeida. There is a lot more money up on the screen as well.
    The ambush is the highlight for me. Very claustrophobic scene, and it's set in a street in broad daylight!

Czerny is an underused actor.

Ford was in another one around that time with Brad Pitt called The Devil's Own. I can't remember much about it now, but thought it was boring when I saw it.
    I haven't seen it. One of these days...

Apparently it had a difficult production process.
    The Game (1997). Forgot just how awesome this movie was. May even be my favorite of David Fincher's films, which says a lot.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Game (1997). Forgot just how awesome this movie was. May even be my favorite of David Fincher's films, which says a lot.
    Excellent film indeed. Highly recommended. Douglas is brilliant in it.

I like it a lot. It's a film you can just lose yourself in. It's slow pace works because you get to take your time in seeing the incredible visuals. The Enterprise going to warp has never been bettered.

Agree it's a film you can immerse yourself in, the visuals are very creative compared with many modern CGI.
    Saw this on its opening day in London in '79 with lots of Trekies dressed up in various costumes. Loved the opening with Goldsmith's Klingon music. The score was sumptuous. Overall, I thought it was a pretty damn impressive looking movie. The only niggle I had at the time was that I felt it was perhaps too lofty for its own good, lacking some of the fun that the original TV series did so well.

However, on reflection, I think it's perhaps the best Trek movie to come out alongside Khan. After the novelty of seeing the new Enterprise for 10 years (which was a big deal back in '79) it perhaps goes on a little too long for repeat viewings. That said, I absolutely loved it when I first saw it. This was one that a lot of the movie critics didn't like as I recall. Then again, a lot didn't like Alien, either.

I envy you i have seen the majority of the films on the big screen though was only 5 back in 79, I really should try and get hold of the TV version. The re edited version certainly runs better though I would like to see any extra scenes I have not seen for years. Though I think the TV version will only ever exist on VHS.
    I used to have this TV version on VHS that I'd imported from the US. Sadly, I tossed it out into the garbage. Quite frankly some of the special effects shots were unfinished, namely the Verger shots where a studio background was quite visible throughout. The Director's Cut took some of these unused shots that were in the TV special to include in their new cut but finished off the missing effects, making it vastly superior to the VHS version that I had.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The disturbing possibility suggested by the last scene is a truly original concept.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2018 Posts: 6,801
    THE AWAKENING (1980)

With an abysmal 4.8 on IMDb I had no high hopes for this one, but being somewhat of a fan of mummy films I gave it a shot.

Visually it’s a beautiful film, shot in Egypt by master cinematographer Jack Cardiff. Fabulous production design by Michael Stringer (CR’67) as well, and an effective score by Claude Bolling.

The story is a run-of-the-mill mix of The Omen and other mummy films and Charlton Heston’s attempt at an English accent is laughable.

Nevertheless it’s better than its reputation with impressive visuals and a suitably creepy atmosphere that doesn’t lower itself to cheap scares either.

7/10

Also noted some Bond alumni: Nadim Sawalha (TSWLM), Terry Rawlings (editor TND) and titles by none other than Maurice Binder.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I used to have this TV version on VHS that I'd imported from the US. Sadly, I tossed it out into the garbage. Quite frankly some of the special effects shots were unfinished, namely the Verger shots where a studio background was quite visible throughout. The Director's Cut took some of these unused shots that were in the TV special to include in their new cut but finished off the missing effects, making it vastly superior to the VHS version that I had.

I had the VHS version also and countless Trek TV shows on VHS, when dvd came along Videos to me were just taking up too much space so binned the lot. The Directors Cut is a good version though still curious about the TV version if just to watch it once, it's probably online somewhere.
    I did exactly the same thing same you @Fire. I must've binned hundreds of VHS cassettes, some that still have yet to materialise on DVD. I even did the same with some of my vinyl records. One I really wished I had gotten hold of was the 20th Century-Fox Video of Dr. No as it was said to be the totally uncut version of the movie. Did you ever manage to get your hands on this one?

replica_of_video_rental_library_vhs_cover__dr_no_by_jesse_coffey_prod-dar514e.png
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Beirut (2018)

beirut.jpg

One of my favorites of the year so far. Really well done political thriller, with a lot of tension, stunning use of the locals in Beirut, powerhouse performances from Jon Hamm, Rosamund Pike, Shea Wingham & Dean Norris, and a very tightly written plot mixed with a fast-paced directing that kept me invested and on my toes for the entire 110 minutes of runtime. I hope Jon Hamm will get more roles like this in the future, he is IMO the closest American version of Bond we've had recently - very suave, very 1960's like (thanks to his excellent performance as Don Draper), almost Connery-like in certain aspects.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,528
    I did exactly the same thing same you @Fire. I must've binned hundreds of VHS cassettes, some that still have yet to materialise on DVD. I even did the same with some of my vinyl records. One I really wished I had gotten hold of was the 20th Century-Fox Video of Dr. No as it was said to be the totally uncut version of the movie. Did you ever manage to get your hands on this one?

replica_of_video_rental_library_vhs_cover__dr_no_by_jesse_coffey_prod-dar514e.png

I had several VHS versions of the Bond movies sadly they all went in the bin, never seen the cover that you posted perhaps only released in the States? I also threw away boxes of Bond novels some very early prints and other memorabilia. I was in a place in my life where I lost interest in collectables and possessions. Now I am searching often for things I used to have now I am in my 40's.

Some of the sets I had...
    s-l960.jpg
    UK equivalent of this set.

f3a9134cc5e98cbb54d8eba13c187ec9.jpg

489f3270-f491-012c-9a89-0050569428b1.jpg

410lDOMz48L.jpg This I recall was the last VHS set released in the UK.

My parents had a betamax at one point and they had a few covers similar to this...

James-Bond-Octopussy-Betamax-Video-Rental-Pre-Cert.jpg
    SharkBait wrote: »

Awesome was it a digital copy or a Bluray?
    s-l960.jpg

"Mission drab" is a rather unfortunate title in English.

Revelator wrote: »
    s-l960.jpg

"Mission drab" is a rather unfortunate title in English.

Lol some of the foreign translations do seem lazy.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As I was staying at a relative's place and enjoying the beauty of Netflix for the first time in my life, and after I had finished the Marvel Netflix shows, I watched a few movies.

Tremors 5: Bloodlines

I've been a Tremors fan since I saw the first two movies back to back on AMC years ago, so when I saw Tremors 5 was on there, I decided to take a look at it. It was an entertaining movie, had plenty of good action and decent character development. I was against it a little because very rarely do direct-to-video sequels made 10 years later work, but it was actually good. The CGI was impressive for a direct-to-video movie, at times on par with Jurassic Park (there's even an homage to Jurassic Park in the movie).

Tremors 6: A Cold Day in Hell

I have... less good things to say about Tremors 6. This one reeked of "Let's just make another one", an attempt to shill some new characters over the one established character that's still hanging around after all these years. Tremors 5 did some interesting biological things with the main creatures, the Graboid, that made sense because of how the movie changed up the location. This one changes up the location, still, but reuses the CGI models from the previous movie in a way that doesn't make any sense. Still, there were nice call-backs to the previous movies, and while I don't like the character shilling, I like those characters and wouldn't mind if they stuck around so long as there's at least one member of the old guard remaining.

Pandemic

I'm a sucker for zombie movies. I'm generally okay with found footage movies so long as they're done well, such as Cloverfield. This wasn't a typical found footage movie, as it didn't seem to have any cameras around, it was as if the cameras were simply people's eyes, so it was more a POV movie than a found footage movie. I enjoyed it, even if the movie somewhat strung you along with a shoestring of a plot that really only served to be an excuse to go from zombie encounter to zombie encounter.

The Cloverfield Paradox

I still haven't seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, but these movies barely connect to one another, anyway. Having said that, there's a subplot that does involve the first movie's monster in a way (a different monster of the same species, really), but it's not the meat of the film. The main plot of the film involves a lot of jump scares and barely explained reasoning for any of the deaths or even some of the character motivations. Honestly, if it wasn't released on Netflix, it would have been a direct-to-video movie that people wouldn't have heard about even if they passed it on store shelves.

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters

I love Godzilla movies. I even liked the 1998 Emmerich movie for what it was. And I love anime. So I went into this thinking "Okay, it's a mix of two things I really, really love, there's no way it can't be amazing". I was wrong. It's not a bad movie if you want to spend half of its runtime with humans who do nothing but sneer at Godzilla and want him dead before Godzilla even appears after the film's prologue. It's as if they had this generic sci-fi anime movie about humans rediscovering Earth after centuries of being away and a separate anime movie about Godzilla and decided to just combine the two. Now, this movie is simply the first of a trilogy, and the second movie is out in Japan, so hopefully I'll catch it when it comes here and understand the overall plot a little more.

Bright

I went into this movie knowing it had problems with its setting and world-building. These are both extremely valid points. The movie takes place in modern day LA in a world where fantasy creatures have lived alongside us since the beginning, but the problem is that aside from substituting orcs for every minority, the world doesn't really seem different. The movie at one point mentions the Alamo, and I sit there wondering if the whole history of the Alamo was radically different (were the Spanish replaced by the orcs or the elves?) or if nothing changed aside from a fairy showed up every now and again. The runtime of the movie is seriously against it because just under 2 hours isn't enough to build this world and make it real. The acting was fine, the plot was relatively generic and predictable, and the special effects were on par with any theatrically released movie, but the movie was weighed down by its inability to truly sell its world.

ARQ

This was a weird movie. It's a time loop movie about two people who are attacked by home invaders in a post-apocalyptic dystopian world. There are all sorts of betrayals and reveals about who people work for and what they're doing, but the movie never has the time (ha ha) to really explore that, being only 90 minutes long. All they really do is throw some mild technobabble at you and expect that to clear everything up, but this isn't an episode of Star Trek: TNG where they can get away with Geordi saying crap centuries too advanced for us, the movie blurs the line between taking place in the far future (holograms, some kind of war, a mega corp controlling everything) and taking place a week from now (clothes and weapons haven't changed at all, the main character's house appears much as any house would today, the computers look straight out of Deus Ex 1). It's a great action flick, but it doesn't do much to distinguish itself from the plethora of great action flicks.
    SharkBait wrote: »

Awesome was it a digital copy or a Bluray?

Saw it on netflix. Shame Carl Weathers didn't get many leading man roles.

This apparently is the version with extra footage during Bond's beating. I really should keep my eyes open for this one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    ToTheRight wrote: »

This apparently is the version with extra footage during Bond's beating. I really should keep my eyes open for this one.

Is this an urban myth? My research shows that the original film was edited to its present form back in the 60's and that no other 'extended' version has ever existed. Is my research incomplete?
    chrisisall wrote: »

Is this an urban myth? My research shows that the original film was edited to its present form back in the 60's and that no other 'extended' version has ever existed. Is my research incomplete?

I somehow have my doubts there is any extra footage. I either read that on the forums or in one of the Bond fan magazines. I'd love to find a copy and see for myself, though.
    The Devil's Advocate. I liked it. Begins as a story in the style of John Grisham, and slowly but surely it grows more sinister, as Keanu Reeves begins to sacrifice any values he might possess in pursuing supposed success, while a feeling of pervasive evil and lack of scruples and morals begins to invade the story. All of this human decadence is seen through the prism of (what else?) the corporate world at the dawn of the new millennium. Keanu's acting is solid but not outstanding, though his innately warm personality makes up for any shortcomings in the acting department, and while you may or may not find him engaging, he is engaged when playing this role. Great support from Charlize Theron, and of course, Al Pacino, who can ham it up with the best of them. He has some truly superb dialogue at the end, in describing the paradoxes that make up the human experience as supposedly planned by the man upstairs, who is described as someone who placed the rules of life in opposition for his own sick amusement. One can argue otherwise, I'm sure, but Pacino's speeches do make sense in their own subversive way if one takes a less charitable perspective towards the universe and God. They're tempting to subscribe to, much like Keanu is tempted by success, vanity and Connie Nielsen in a red dress.
    Justice League I had issues with my 4K purchase so only just got around to watching this in True 4K properly, I must say I am impressed it is considerably better than my 1080p version of the film. Many of the sequences are eye popping, this film is slowly improving for me.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    The Devil's Advocate. I liked it. Begins as a story in the style of John Grisham, and slowly but surely it grows more sinister, as Keanu Reeves begins to sacrifice any values he might possess in pursuing supposed success, while a feeling of pervasive evil and lack of scruples and morals begins to invade the story. All of this human decadence is seen through the prism of (what else?) the corporate world at the dawn of the new millennium. Keanu's acting is solid but not outstanding, though his innately warm personality makes up for any shortcomings in the acting department, and while you may or may not find him engaging, he is engaged when playing this role. Great support from Charlize Theron, and of course, Al Pacino, who can ham it up with the best of them. He has some truly superb dialogue at the end, in describing the paradoxes that make up the human experience as supposedly planned by the man upstairs, who is described as someone who placed the rules of life in opposition for his own sick amusement. One can argue otherwise, I'm sure, but Pacino's speeches do make sense in their own subversive way if one takes a less charitable perspective towards the universe and God. They're tempting to subscribe to, much like Keanu is tempted by success, vanity and Connie Nielsen in a red dress.

Interesting thoughts @Mattjoes, i enjoyed The Devils Advocate as well. Al Pacino playing the Devil himself and going all philosophical on us? Count me the hell in!
    It appears we share the same passions.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I had several VHS versions of the Bond movies sadly they all went in the bin, never seen the cover that you posted perhaps only released in the States? I also threw away boxes of Bond novels some very early prints and other memorabilia. I was in a place in my life where I lost interest in collectables and possessions. Now I am searching often for things I used to have now I am in my 40's.
    I pretty much had all the same ones as you, including the later letterbox remastered versions. But it was the Dr No one that I posted which was the one to have. It's now highly sought after because of the additional footage.
    It also apparently has Bond shooting Dent five times and the knee kick during Bond's fight with the chauffeur. Is it an urban myth? Hard to know without actually seeing a copy for myself, but there was a member on here from some time ago that said he had it in his collection and confirmed the extra footage was on the 20th Century Fox one. Just to clarify, it has to be the VHS one with this particular cover. The later ones were the same cut as all the others. Again, I don't endorse paying large sums of money for this particular VHS in case it is just an urban myth.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Good review. I remember seeing this film when it came out and you're right that it has a touch of Grisham (particularly The Firm) to it in the early half, before descending into chaos. The cast is good, & Pacino gets to let his hair down and overplay to the hilt. Keanu is a bit of a block imho, but as you said, a strangely endearing one.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I was eleven years old when I saw it first on TV. There was a certain scene that somewhat terrified me back then. It's greatly sinister and Al Pacino delivers a terrific performance as always. The second half is quite disturbing at least from what I remember.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 6,776
    00Agent wrote: »

Interesting thoughts @Mattjoes, i enjoyed The Devils Advocate as well. Al Pacino playing the Devil himself and going all philosophical on us? Count me the hell in!
    It appears we share the same passions.
    I like the way you phrased that.

Good review. I remember seeing this film when it came out and you're right that it has a touch of Grisham (particularly The Firm) to it in the early half, before descending into chaos. The cast is good, & Pacino gets to let his hair down and overplay to the hilt. Keanu is a bit of a block imho, but as you said, a strangely endearing one.
    The Firm, absolutely.

I was eleven years old when I saw it first on TV. There was a certain scene that somewhat terrified me back then. It's greatly sinister and Al Pacino delivers a terrific performance as always. The second half is quite disturbing at least from what I remember.
    What scene was that?

---

I'd like to add that I appreciate the suggestion the Devil shows up when you least expect it (Pacino does like to travel underground). Anybody will say they don't want to be "evil," or at least indulge in evil, but the challenge is to maintain that conviction at the crucial, unexpected moments when one is at his weakest, or when much is at stake. Keanu's character fails to do so on two occasions, and
    in the very last scene (note that as Pacino says, it is always Kevin's own choice to act that way).
    It's the little things. But people often don't do "the right thing" because the concept of success in our society clashes with the values on which said society is supposedly built. So the pressure to conform can be overwhelming. Doing "the right thing" instead of compromising can be tremendously debilitating.
    Farewell, My Lovely (1975). Robert Mitchum is a joy to watch. He doesn't act, he just is. The mystery is compelling and I couldn't detect any loose ends in the (admittedly complicated) plot. Jack O'Halloran and Charlotte Rampling are very good as well.

Seeing Mitchum/Marlowe in this got me thinking about what it means to be 'cool.' Because he certainly is. But what makes him so? I think it's the combination of great skill, confidence and intelligence contrasted with the jadedness, the disillusionment, the lack of clear purpose. There is a quality of existential angst one can relate to on some level. There certainly are cool characters who don't fit into this mold but it's one type of coolness, for sure. Dirty Harry, Steve McQueen are cool in the same way.