Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,521
    Superman The Movie Watching the TV cut, this film is truly epic and the greatest in the genre, the Krypton scenes give me shudders they are so god dam awesome.

The Smallville scenes are brilliant, Donner brings Norman Rockwells Americana to life.

R.I.P. Margot xxx

I felt sad after watching this today.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Superman The Movie Watching the TV cut, this film is truly epic and the greatest in the genre, the Krypton scenes give me shudders they are so god dam awesome.

The Smallville scenes are brilliant, Donner brings Norman Rockwells Americana to life.

R.I.P. Margot xxx

It's so classic it brings me to tears...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The Nice Guys-- awesome. Gosling and Crowe= a wicked tandem... (and I usually can't stand Gosling, but he was a helluva fun ride in this). Taking 70s trope and twisting it into Black's humour. I really wish this was to get a sequel (but the marketing on this was terrible)... perhaps a Netflix can swoop in and continue the adventures of these two oddballs???

Hateful 8-- a maverick filmmaker at the end of his career; his last cheap trick is to use the N-word as many times as he can. Hated the Hateful 8.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »

R.I.P. Margot xxx

It's so classic it brings me to tears...

'you will be safe here son' moment just happened whilst watching, this film is real nothing will ever match this. Real to me is heart, this film has so much heart.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    edited May 2018 Posts: 6,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

I had some difficulty finding something to view last night, and am glad that I finally decided on this early 90's Tom Clancy thriller based on the Jack Ryan character. It’s as good as I remembered it. In my humble view this is a textbook example of how to make a compelling spy based film from which a viewer can learn something as well as be entertained. It’s got it all, including an endearing and humble hero in everyman Harrison Ford, a chilling, obsessed villain in Sean Bean (in a riveting performance), a brave & mature heroine (the delectable Anne Archer), an interesting premise (revenge, politics & extremism), memorable supporting characters (played by gravitas-filled stalwarts like Samuel Jackson, Patrick Bergin, James Earl Jones, Richard Harris & James Fox, among others), and a tension filled score which wonderfully incorporates topical cues (by the late, great James Horner). Director Philip Noyce (Clear & Present Danger, The Bone Collector) does a great job of holding it all together and manages the pacing very well. The film is gripping from start to finish, and every character has a chance to shine with small moments - there is nothing superfluous here. Despite many action filled scenes, it's the quieter moments that are most memorable for me, including when the protagonist pieces together a significant piece of a puzzle at CIA HQ (love the manner in which they show how the investigative mind works) and a covert assassination scene which predates (and foreshadows) the Bin Laden ending and the all too prevalent drone conversation of today. The finale is a bit OTT (and recalls Cape Fear) but imho provides a satisfying conclusion to a fantastic film.

PS: A part of me wonders whether this film in some way influenced GE. Sean Bean was chosen as villain and the tag line for this film (Not For Honour. Not For Country. For His Wife and Child) reminds me of "For England James? No, For Me"
    I enjoy it quite a bit, though I prefer Clear and Present Danger. I especially like the satellite scene, and when Ryan threatens to conduct his own smear campaign against the IRA if they don't tell him where the bad guys are. Impassioned acting by Harrison Ford, who as you say, plays an "endearing and humble hero." Those types of characters can be a bit boring but not in this case, in great part thanks to Ford.

I also agree that there's nothing superfluous in the film.

The IRA was the subject matter of some very enjoyable thrillers in the nineties. Blown Away, Ronin and this one, among others. And of course, more recently we had The Foreigner.

Edit: I think it's safe to assume Sean Bean's role in Patriot Games went a long way toward winning him his part in GoldenEye. In both films he comes across as a rather charming villain.

lostworld4k10501.jpg

The Lost World Jurassic Park I think this is possibly my favourite of the series, the T - Rex scenes are pretty awesome and stand up very well. The score by John Williams is crazy though I love it, some masterful tense scenes directed by Spielberg.
    I agree. In terms of providing a series of memorable and well-crafted scenes, this film is probably ahead of the others. The one thing I'm a bit unsure of, in terms of the story of the film, is that what gets the characters trapped in the island is caused by the heroes. I can't articulate what I feel is problematic about that, though.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

I had some difficulty finding something to view last night, and am glad that I finally decided on this early 90's Tom Clancy thriller based on the Jack Ryan character. It’s as good as I remembered it. In my humble view this is a textbook example of how to make a compelling spy based film from which a viewer can learn something as well as be entertained. It’s got it all, including an endearing and humble hero in everyman Harrison Ford, a chilling, obsessed villain in Sean Bean (in a riveting performance), a brave & mature heroine (the delectable Anne Archer), an interesting premise (revenge, politics & extremism), memorable supporting characters (played by gravitas-filled stalwarts like Samuel Jackson, Patrick Bergin, James Earl Jones, Richard Harris & James Fox, among others), and a tension filled score which wonderfully incorporates topical cues (by the late, great James Horner). Director Philip Noyce (Clear & Present Danger, The Bone Collector) does a great job of holding it all together and manages the pacing very well. The film is gripping from start to finish, and every character has a chance to shine with small moments - there is nothing superfluous here. Despite many action filled scenes, it's the quieter moments that are most memorable for me, including when the protagonist pieces together a significant piece of a puzzle at CIA HQ (love the manner in which they show how the investigative mind works) and a covert assassination scene which predates (and foreshadows) the Bin Laden ending and the all too prevalent drone conversation of today. The finale is a bit OTT (and recalls Cape Fear) but imho provides a satisfying conclusion to a fantastic film.

PS: A part of me wonders whether this film in some way influenced GE. Sean Bean was chosen as villain and the tag line for this film (Not For Honour. Not For Country. For His Wife and Child) reminds me of "For England James? No, For Me"
    I enjoy it quite a bit, though I prefer Clear and Present Danger. I especially like the satellite scene, and when Ryan threatens to conduct his own smear campaign against the IRA if they don't tell him where the bad guys are. Impassioned acting by Harrison Ford, who as you say, plays an "endearing and humble hero." Those types of characters can be a bit boring but not in this case, in great part thanks to Ford.

The IRA was the subject matter of some very enjoyable thrillers in the nineties. Blown Away, Ronin and this one, among others. And of course, more recently we had The Foreigner.

lostworld4k10501.jpg

The Lost World Jurassic Park I think this is possibly my favourite of the series, the T - Rex scenes are pretty awesome and stand up very well. The score by John Williams is crazy though I love it, some masterful tense scenes directed by Spielberg.
    I agree. In terms of providing a series of memorable and well-crafted scenes, this film is probably ahead of the others. The one thing I'm a bit unsure of, in terms of the story of the film, is that what gets the characters trapped in the island is caused by the heroes. I can't articulate what I feel is problematic about that, though.

The second film is a fun ride the T Rex scenes are awesome
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

lostworld4k10501.jpg

The second film is a fun ride the T Rex scenes are awesoms
    So is the scene with Peter Stormare and the little dinosaurs. It's superb in how it begins very casually and gradually builds into something much more sinister.
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

lostworld4k10501.jpg

So is the scene with Peter Stormare and the little dinosaurs. It's superb in how it begins very casually and gradually builds into something much more sinister.

Debating whether to buy the 4K versions of the films, Pete Postlethwaite is one of the best things in The Lost World, the film has that random characters in a bad situation which I like.
    Star Trek The Motion Picture there are probably 4 people on here who appreciate how awesome an experience this film is,
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

lostworld4k10501.jpg

Debating whether to buy the 4K versions of the films, Pete Postlethwaite is one of the best things in The Lost World, the film has that random characters in a bad situation which I like.
    Total badass.
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

lostworld4k10501.jpg

Total badass.

Yeah man his scenes in Inception quite profound, brilliant actor.
    Star Trek The Motion Picture there are probably 4 people on here who appreciate how awesome an experience this film is,

Better make that five. I've always liked the first film. When seen on a big screen, those first scenes of the Enterprise are quite awe inspiring.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Better make that five. I've always liked the first film. When seen on a big screen, those first scenes of the Enterprise are quite awe inspiring.

Every time I watch this film I am amazed, it's easily one of the best Blurays I have, the Enterprise dock scene is beautiful.

Every time I watch this film I am amazed, it's easily one of the best Blurays I have, the Enterprise dock scene is beautiful.

I need to get those Star Trek films on Blu-ray.

I have all the films and one way or another all the series. I grew up with Trek when you get locked in its a good addition to your heart. Trek at its best really is awesome

I have all the films and one way or another all the series. I grew up with Trek when you get locked in its a good addition to your heart. Trek at its best really is awesome

My friends high school and I were all huge fans and we'd go to the conventions. I eventually met most of the original crew with the exception of Doohan. The best was when Shatner and Nimoy appeared on stage together and told stories. Great stuff.
    I didn't follow the various later series as much as I felt the most connected to TOS. But, still enjoyed some Next Generation when it was on.

My friends high school and I were all huge fans and we'd go to the conventions. I eventually met most of the original crew with the exception of Doohan. The best was when Shatner and Nimoy appeared on stage together and told stories. Great stuff.
    I didn't follow the various later series as much as I felt the most connected to TOS. But, still enjoyed some Next Generation when it was on.

Wow that's awesome, I live in the UK I think that's pretty special I envy you.

Those were fun times in the early '90's. After a while the conventions seemed fewer and further between. I believe the last one I went to was probably in '94.

Those were fun times in the early '90's. After a while the conventions seemed fewer and further between. I believe the last one I went to was probably in '94.

I would certainly make the best of any opportunity

When I lose my centre i watch The Motion Picture

A few month before the release of STAR TREK VI, a buddy of mine and I went to a Trek marathon. The first 5 films. THE MOTION PICTURE began around noon and THE FINAL FRONTIER ended around midnight. One of the best days at the cinema I ever had. I believe THE MOTION PICTURE was the original theatrical release.
    Interestingly, the title card on II just said STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN.

A few month before the release of STAR TREK VI, a buddy of mine and I went to a Trek marathon. The first 5 films. THE MOTION PICTURE began around noon and THE FINAL FRONTIER ended around midnight. One of the best days at the cinema I ever had. I believe THE MOTION PICTURE was the original theatrical release.

Watch all the films, compared to current BS I think you will enjoy them

Watch all the films, compared to current BS I think you will enjoy them

I think I've only missed a few. One of the NG films and the most recent of the re-boot series. I agree far better than most of what's out there today.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I like it a lot. It's a film you can just lose yourself in. It's slow pace works because you get to take your time in seeing the incredible visuals. The Enterprise going to warp has never been bettered.

Fantastic score from Jerry Goldsmith as well.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

Edit: I think it's safe to assume Sean Bean's role in Patriot Games went a long way toward winning him his part in GoldenEye. In both films he comes across as a rather charming villain.
    I just viewed Clear And Present Danger yesterday actually. I like that one too, but I find it's much slower than Patriot Games. More cerebral and thought provoking. Less immediate. It's much more focused on Washington 'inside baseball' and political machinations. Consequently it resonates a little less with me emotionally. Having said that, the set pieces are very well done, especially the vehicle ambush on the streets of Columbia, the missile strikes and the finale. Great cast too, especially Henry Czerny, Willem Dafoe and Joaquim de Almeida. There is a lot more money up on the screen as well.

It's strange to an extent that we hardly see films like this anymore, at least not since 9/11. It's almost like there is a gag order on Hollywood re: intelligent projects like this which show corruption within the corridors of Washington. It's now almost a taboo subject it seems. Ironic given what we know goes on.

Good shout on Blown Away and Ronin. Both class films which I must revisit soon. Ford was in another one around that time with Brad Pitt called The Devil's Own. I can't remember much about it now, but thought it was boring when I saw it.
    Saw this on its opening day in London in '79 with lots of Trekies dressed up in various costumes. Loved the opening with Goldsmith's Klingon music. The score was sumptuous. Overall, I thought it was a pretty damn impressive looking movie. The only niggle I had at the time was that I felt it was perhaps too lofty for its own good, lacking some of the fun that the original TV series did so well.

However, on reflection, I think it's perhaps the best Trek movie to come out alongside Khan. After the novelty of seeing the new Enterprise for 10 years (which was a big deal back in '79) it perhaps goes on a little too long for repeat viewings. That said, I absolutely loved it when I first saw it. This was one that a lot of the movie critics didn't like as I recall. Then again, a lot didn't like Alien, either.
    I really like the first Star Trek film too actually. I'd say it's my favourite by far. It's very atmospheric (aided in no small part by Jerry Goldsmith's moody score) and thought provoking.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames You should add a rewatch of Ronin as part of your preparations for Mission Impossible: Fallout, given the former is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, and the new M:I has a very lengthy chase sequence in Paris.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's on my list @DaltonCraig007, as is Die Hard similarly in anticipation of Skyscraper. Unfortunately, I'm a bit boxed in, having invested in a big screen tv and 4K equipment. I really want to see these films again only when they arrive in that format to get the full benefit. I know DH is being released this year in 4K and will get it, but haven't looked into Ronin. As soon as it's out in that format, I'm there. That Mercedes 450sel 6.9 is one of my faves, as is the Audi S8.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames The Equalizer is coming on 4K in North America on July 10th, so you can finally discover it before Denzel kicks some more ass in the sequel a few days later.