Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    AVENGERS/INFINITY WAR
    Avengers:%20Infinity%20War

The movie does have some issues, some characters that shouldn t be there for instance, and a few boring sequences, but on the whole glad I saw it. There is a lot of fantastic stuff in there as well. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

That Stan Lee cameo was hilarious.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Slightly off-topic: the mention of Charles Bronson on a different thread made me check out the library of Bronson movies on iTunes. A couple of cheap titles caught my eye, as they were new to me: St. Ives (1976), and Telefon (1977). Anyone seen one or both of these, and are they worth a watch?
    Slightly off-topic: the mention of Charles Bronson on a different thread made me check out the library of Bronson movies on iTunes. A couple of cheap titles caught my eye, as they were new to me: St. Ives (1976), and Telefon (1977). Anyone seen one or both of these, and are they worth a watch?

Seen both! Unless you're a diehard Bronson fan..the answers No!
    Telefon is definitely worth watching. Filmed in the seventies, the plot concerns a dissident russian genera who wants to warm up the Cold War by using a group of deep cover russian agents who have been brainwashed, then infiltrated in the US to act as saboteurs once they're activated by a code phrase. Bronson plays the KGB officer who is in charge of stopping him before the damage gets too big. The general is played by Donald Pleasance, while Lee Remick plays Bronson's fellow KGB agent (although working really for the CIA) who helps him during this mission. It's directed by Don Siegel (of Dirty Harry fame), and it's quite good.

MPW-20450
    Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
    Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders
    Robocop
    Robocop 2
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Sin City: A Dame to Kill For

Fantastic movie. No idea why it tanked.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Gerard wrote: »
    Telefon is definitely worth watching. Filmed in the seventies, the plot concerns a dissident russian genera who wants to warm up the Cold War by using a group of deep cover russian agents who have been brainwashed, then infiltrated in the US to act as saboteurs once they're activated by a code phrase. Bronson plays the KGB officer who is in charge of stopping him before the damage gets too big. The general is played by Donald Pleasance, while Lee Remick plays Bronson's fellow KGB agent (although working really for the CIA) who helps him during this mission. It's directed by Don Siegel (of Dirty Harry fame), and it's quite good.

MPW-20450

Seems like opinions are divided on the films! Telefon has a decent cast though, it looks like. Wasn't even aware that it's a Don Siegel film.
    Peter Hunt of OHMSS fame also directed two Bronson films: Assassination and Death Hunt. I haven't seen either, but the first is apparently little more than a programmer; the second, which co-stars Lee Marvin, sounds good.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Telefon is a must watch Bronson film. I really enjoyed it. St. Ives was also really good. Assassination was disappointing. It's very boring and not much happens. I'd skip it personally and I haven't watched Death Hunt yet.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Peter Hunt of OHMSS fame also directed two Bronson films: Assassination and Death Hunt. I haven't seen either, but the first is apparently little more than a programmer; the second, which co-stars Lee Marvin, sounds good.

I like Death Hunt. Marvin vs Bronson is great pairing and Hunt does well. Telefon is indeed by the brilliant Don Siegel...but not on one of his better days! I still say 'Hard Times' is Bronsons finest hour!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolfe? (1966)
    SkTCgtR.jpg

Something about the title of this Mike Nichols (The Graduate) directed film (based on a play by the same name by Edward Albee) and its famous poster photo of an angry looking Elizabeth Taylor has always fascinated me, and I’ve been meaning to watch it for the longest time. I’m glad I finally did, and am still recovering from the experience. Essentially a black comedy drama about domesticity & marital dysfunction, this isn’t an easy one to get through, but it’s transfixing all the same. In some ways, it’s like watching a car crash occurring in front of you. It touches on many elements including psychological manipulation, abortion, infidelity & alcoholism. It’s at times vitriolic and cruel but never descends so far as to solicit disgust from the viewer. One always retains hope and sympathy for the two lead characters despite their behaviour, and this is a testament to the exceptional acting on display.

It’s anchored by an Oscar winning and absolutely mesmerizing performance from Ms. Taylor, who really is at the top of her game here. She is quite brilliant as Martha, one half of the squabbling duo and a drunken, invective spewing daughter of a university president who seems to take pleasure in humiliating and denigrating her other half. Her real life husband at the time, Richard Burton, is no slouch either. His scruffy, meek history professor George gives as good as he gets, sometimes quite aggressively and at other times more passively.

The film takes place over an evening at their unkempt residence, to which they invite an unsuspecting young couple (played by George Segal and Sandy Dennis), who witness the verbal sparring. Ever been to a friend’s house where things get decidedly awkward? Well this is that and then some. The film is in black and white unfortunately, but both Burton and Taylor are so powerful here that it doesn’t matter. I’ve until recently only known Liz from her later films, and must admit I sometimes wondered what the big deal was. Well, after seeing this film along with Cleopatra and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof last year, now I know. She's definitely one of the greats.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    For anyone who loves art, loves Van Gogh art, please see Loving Vincent (an animated film that takes his depictions of life (via his art, from the PostMan to the Fields, and more), and produces it into a mystery-solver...

For @Mendes4Lyfe -- Turner plays a role.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondjames wrote: »
    Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolfe? (1966)
    SkTCgtR.jpg

Something about the title of this Mike Nichols (The Graduate) directed film (based on a play by the same name by Edward Albee) and its famous poster photo of an angry looking Elizabeth Taylor has always fascinated me, and I’ve been meaning to watch it for the longest time. I’m glad I finally did, and am still recovering from the experience. Essentially a black comedy drama about domesticity & marital dysfunction, this isn’t an easy one to get through, but it’s transfixing all the same. In some ways, it’s like watching a car crash occurring in front of you. It touches on many elements including psychological manipulation, abortion, infidelity & alcoholism. It’s at times vitriolic and cruel but never descends so far as to solicit disgust from the viewer. One always retains hope and sympathy for the two lead characters despite their behaviour, and this is a testament to the exceptional acting on display.

It’s anchored by an Oscar winning and absolutely mesmerizing performance from Ms. Taylor, who really is at the top of her game here. She is quite brilliant as Martha, one half of the squabbling duo and a drunken, invective spewing daughter of a university president who seems to take pleasure in humiliating and denigrating her other half. Her real life husband at the time, Richard Burton, is no slouch either. His scruffy, meek history professor George gives as good as he gets, sometimes quite aggressively and at other times more passively.

The film takes place over an evening at their unkempt residence, to which they invite an unsuspecting young couple (played by George Segal and Sandy Dennis), who witness the verbal sparring. Ever been to a friend’s house where things get decidedly awkward? Well this is that and then some. The film is in black and white unfortunately, but both Burton and Taylor are so powerful here that it doesn’t matter. I’ve until recently only known Liz from her later films, and must admit I sometimes wondered what the big deal was. Well, after seeing this film along with Cleopatra and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof last year, now I know. She's definitely one of the greats.
    Now I want to see it.

I've got two more Burton films in the pipeline: The Medusa Touch and Absolution.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I've got two more Burton films in the pipeline: The Medusa Touch and Absolution.
    I have The Medusa Touch on my list too. I haven't seen The Spy Who Came In From The Cold either and will get to that at some point as well.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Robocop
    Good stuff, @SharkBait. Verhoeven is great. Just took in a viewing of BASIC INSTINCT (1992) earlier.
    peter wrote: »
    For anyone who loves art, loves Van Gogh art, please see Loving Vincent (an animated film that takes his depictions of life (via his art, from the PostMan to the Fields, and more), and produces it into a mystery-solver...

Good rec @peter . I saw this a few weeks ago, and it was wonderful. A real achievement, I thought. I saw some complaint that the 'mystery' angle made the film feel mundane, but I really thought that angle worked well. And visually it was stunning, and a real tribute. I also found it hit the right notes emotionally.
    peter wrote: »

I posted the trailer for that a good while ago on the upcoming movies thread. Looks very good, but I haven t seen it showing here yet.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Telefon is a must watch Bronson film. I really enjoyed it. St. Ives was also really good. Assassination was disappointing. It's very boring and not much happens. I'd skip it personally and I haven't watched Death Hunt yet.

I like Death Hunt. Marvin vs Bronson is great pairing and Hunt does well. Telefon is indeed by the brilliant Don Siegel...but not on one of his better days! I still say 'Hard Times' is Bronsons finest hour!

The Assassination is available on iTunes, too. Wonder if I should do a Bronson film marathon, eventually!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

MPW-20450

Seems like opinions are divided on the films! Telefon has a decent cast though, it looks like. Wasn't even aware that it's a Don Siegel film.

Oh I would say Telefon is worth a couple of hours of your time. Not seen it for a very long time but remember enjoying it at the time. And it's got the gorgeous Lee Remick in it.

MPW-20450

Oh I would say Telefon is worth a couple of hours of your time. Not seen it for a very long time but remember enjoying it at the time. And it's got the gorgeous Lee Remick in it.

Good actress! Donald Pleasence makes the film a Bond connection too.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333

MPW-20450
    Yeah, I second Telefon. A very, very good movie and I loved the fact it was directed by Don Siegel. The use of payphones probably now dates it to millennials. I can understand that Bronson wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but he still had some very good movies under his belt before he just got too old for making A-class movies. To miss out on some great cinema due to one's own ignorance is such a shame. St. Ives was a film I first saw at the cinema, but it's one I've never revisited, so that probably tells you something about it.
    Avengers Infinity War:

Simply awesome! Non stop action from start to finish. Kept me thoroughly entertained all the way through! Roll on part 2!!!!
    bondsum wrote: »

MPW-20450
    Yeah, I second Telefon. A very, very good movie and I loved the fact it was directed by Don Siegel. The use of payphones probably now dates it to millennials. I can understand that Bronson wasn't everybody's cup of tea, but he still had some very good movies under his belt before he just got too old for making A-class movies. To miss out on some great cinema due to one's own ignorance is such a shame. St. Ives was a film I first saw at the cinema, but it's one I've never revisited, so that probably tells you something about it.

We actually still have one working payphone in my hometown (if it hasn't been taken out of use or moved since the last time I walked by it's location). One of few that has remained because of it's architectural importance, or something like that.

This actually makes me think of the movie Phone Booth, with Colin Farrell.
    This :

81mDlLTE5%2BL._SY445_.jpg

Didn't like it at all.

And half of this before I switched off :

Screen-Shot-2017-11-08-at-20.18.57.png

Total crap.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Come now, Bazza, Atomic Blonde was worth it... for research purposes, you understand? ;)
    Come now, Bazza, Atomic Blonde was worth it... for research purposes, you understand? ;)

Aaah now,i enjoy a lesbian romp as much as the next man ! he he ...

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Haha! Such pigs, aren’t we? :))
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Haha! Such pigs, aren’t we? :))

Totally old chum,totally !!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved Atomic Blonde, but the Sofia Boutella/Charlize Theron scenes would've been worth the price of admission even if I hated it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Creasy47
    You have impeccable taste, sir. Those scenes alone present the ultimate raison d'être of Atomic Blonde.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I loved Atomic Blonde, but the Sofia Boutella/Charlize Theron scenes would've been worth the price of admission even if I hated it.

I liked the action scenes and gratuitous (but very welcome) lesbo action.

Other than that I barely remember anything about it....