Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I really enjoyed it too (and the same goes for this year's Red Sparrow, which was very different tonally). Charlize was a total hard a##. Here's to more girl power of that variety I say.
    Haven't even heard about Atomic Blonde, to be honest…
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    maxresdefault.jpg

Quite entertaining.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 40,518
    Fahrenheit 451 (HBO)

Watched this when it premiered the other night and I almost forgot I did, it was that bad. Cringe to the max, over acting beyond salvation, and universe-building that's both lazy and attempting to recreate the world of Blade Runner, it seems. I haven't read the novel, but all I can say is avoid this one like the plague. If this was a series or even a miniseries with a different cast (I'm already not a fan of Michael B. Jordan, but damn was he bad in this), I think it would've been much, much better.
    The François Truffaut movie was a better adaptation, I think. And I have read the novel !
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I loved Atomic Blonde, but the Sofia Boutella/Charlize Theron scenes would've been worth the price of admission even if I hated it.

I liked the action scenes and gratuitous (but very welcome) lesbo action.

Other than that I barely remember anything about it....

I also Loved the music and the visuals. Oh and the Tarkovsky reference. I’d call myself a fan.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    12 Strong
    trailer-12-strong.jpg

Not terrible but not great. I'll probably forget about it in a few weeks. Hemsworth's American accent wasn't that great.

The Commuter
    The-Commuter.jpg

Enjoyable and thrilling. A bit predictable towards the end but it's good.

The Snowman
    TSM_INTL_PAYOFF_QUAD_AUS_LORES.jpg

I was really looking forward to this and I ended up disappointed. Very boring and dull.

Murder on the Orient Express
    cfQaVvZ9rU7swKkGwiF2bVXjLDM.jpg

Another one that I was really looking forward to but ended up disappointed. It wasn't boring and I enjoyed the cast, but the ending kinda ruined the whole thing for me.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    12 Strong
    trailer-12-strong.jpg

Not terrible but not great. I'll probably forget about it in a few weeks. Hemsworth's American accent wasn't that great.

It wasn't in the Red Dawn remake, either. It was fine in Star Trek, but he was only in it for three seconds.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Deadpool 2, Brilliant !
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,284
    Deadpool 2, Brilliant !

I’m seeing it Thursday! Can’t wait! I’ll probably rewatch the first one tomorrow.
    Deadpool 2, Brilliant !

The team s first job together was marvelous.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,525
    Fahrenheit 451 (HBO)

Watched this when it premiered the other night and I almost forgot I did, it was that bad. Cringe to the max, over acting beyond salvation, and universe-building that's both lazy and attempting to recreate the world of Blade Runner, it seems. I haven't read the novel, but all I can say is avoid this one like the plague. If this was a series or even a miniseries with a different cast (I'm already not a fan of Michael B. Jordan, but damn was he bad in this), I think it would've been much, much better.

Interesting I added this to my watchlist yesterday on UK SKY may give it a miss, I am a fan of François Truffaut version/adaption I suspect this new film may differ more than I thought.
    80.000 suspects (1963) - a movie about a smallpox epidemic in the city of Bath through the eyes of Doctor Monks who at the same time goes through some marital problems. A well made movie and the main character played by Richard Johnsom did make me think of a young Sean Connery at times. Well cleaned up BD by Network.

Tightrope (1984)
    - a very little and tight filmed movie about an single father with two daughters who currently runs an investigation into a series of strangled ladies. The story does not show you Clint as a white knight but as a troubled man who is hurt by his divorce. The gimmick of the movie is that you could almost think that the inspector Block character might be the killer himself. A good thriller that is worth your time.
    The Rocketeer - Still as good now as it was when I first saw it in 1991. Plus, it has a special significance for me, given that I met and interviewed Dave Stevens in the 90s, when I was involved in a fanzine about comics. Frankly, with a cast like that (yes, Timthy Dalton, but also Paul Sorvino, Bill Campbell, Jennifer Connelly, Alan Arkin and Terry O'Quinn when he had still hair), and great action scenes, what's not to like ? I was over the moon when I heard that a sequel was in the works at last. Bring it on, I say.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. Double bill. Always enjoyed watching them back to back. And also one of the few who actually enjoys them. It's a huge drop off from the original especially with the philosophical areas and the concepts of vampires, ghosts, ceiling walkers, and programs within programs. Still bummed on how the who thing ends but still highly enjoyable for me since 2003
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gerard wrote: »
    The Rocketeer - Still as good now as it was when I first saw it in 1991. Plus, it has a special significance for me, given that I met and interviewed Dave Stevens in the 90s, when I was involved in a fanzine about comics. Frankly, with a cast like that (yes, Timthy Dalton, but also Paul Sorvino, Bill Campbell, Jennifer Connelly, Alan Arkin and Terry O'Quinn when he had still hair), and great action scenes, what's not to like ? I was over the moon when I heard that a sequel was in the works at last. Bring it on, I say.

Yes, this is an all-time (and somewhat overlooked) classic IMO.

On an unrelated note, I loaned my new Blu Ray of Sorcerer to a millennial who'd never seen it before. He said he liked dark stuff, so I thought he'd love it, but he said he absolutely hated it... but the friend he watched it with said it was great.
    The Titan
    the-titan-2018-full-movie-watch-online-free-download.jpg

Do yourself a favor and pass on this. The first hour is pretty entertaining but the last half hour is terrible. The entire movie pretty much ignores actual science which makes the last bit all the more ridiculous.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    12 Strong
    trailer-12-strong.jpg

The Commuter
    The-Commuter.jpg

Enjoyable and thrilling. A bit predictable towards the end but it's good.

The Snowman
    TSM_INTL_PAYOFF_QUAD_AUS_LORES.jpg

I was really looking forward to this and I ended up disappointed. Very boring and dull.

Murder on the Orient Express
    cfQaVvZ9rU7swKkGwiF2bVXjLDM.jpg

Another one that I was really looking forward to but ended up disappointed. It wasn't boring and I enjoyed the cast, but the ending kinda ruined the whole thing for me.

By the ending do you mean the reveal or the hint that the next film will be Murder on The Nile?
    @Lancaster007 I mean the reveal. It just felt bland to me for some reason. If Murder on the Nile gets made I'll still check it out though. As I'm sure the reveal will be better.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DEADPOOL 2

Totally fine. I laughed quite a bit - the skydiving sequence and the end credits stingers are genius - but I couldn't shake the feeling of being reminded of how much better the first one was. I enjoyed it nonetheless.
    Deadpool 2 (2018). Everything a sequel should be! That being said, the first is superior, but regardless we got a very solid follow-up film. Brolin as Cable was brilliant.
    I think they are about equally good. The cab driver and the bartender could have been left out of both. Not funny.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    I think they are about equally good. The cab driver and the bartender could have been left out of both. Not funny.

Same for me, i still have a hard time ranking them.
    Will wait for the Bluray, watch them back to back, and then make my mind up.
    Solo: A Star Wars Story
    Solo-A-Star-Wars-Story-posters-6-600x600.jpg

I can say that I was equally nervous as I was excited for this. Han is my favorite character in any work of fiction. So if they messed this movie up they could ruin the character. I can happily say that it didn't disappoint. While Ford is and will always be Han, Ehrenreich takes the character and makes him his own. The best comparison I can make would be the change from Connery to any other Bond. Each actor has made the character their own and you're not left thinking about the original actor. The film isn't perfect but I had a lot of fun with it and I enjoyed it far more than I did Rogue One. I hope it gets at least one sequel.

The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Solo
    Revenge of the Sith
    Return of the Jedi
    The Last Jedi
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One
    The Phantom Menace
    Just finished watching Crossplot (1969).
    Nice little film with Roger Moore in the role as an advertising executive who finds himself mixed up in a plot to murder a visiting African statesman.

This film had been sitting in my shelf for years before I finally decided to give it a go. It kind of feels like a "swinging" London extended episode of The Saint, with some Bond-like spy elements to it. Very lighthearted film, and a bit of fun - but not a lot more. Moore is his charming self, of course - and that's what you'd see this film for anyway.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Patriot Games (1992)
    sGUbIep.jpg

I had some difficulty finding something to view last night, and am glad that I finally decided on this early 90's Tom Clancy thriller based on the Jack Ryan character. It’s as good as I remembered it. In my humble view this is a textbook example of how to make a compelling spy based film from which a viewer can learn something as well as be entertained. It’s got it all, including an endearing and humble hero in everyman Harrison Ford, a chilling, obsessed villain in Sean Bean (in a riveting performance), a brave & mature heroine (the delectable Anne Archer), an interesting premise (revenge, politics & extremism), memorable supporting characters (played by gravitas-filled stalwarts like Samuel Jackson, Patrick Bergin, James Earl Jones, Richard Harris & James Fox, among others), and a tension filled score which wonderfully incorporates topical cues (by the late, great James Horner). Director Philip Noyce (Clear & Present Danger, The Bone Collector) does a great job of holding it all together and manages the pacing very well. The film is gripping from start to finish, and every character has a chance to shine with small moments - there is nothing superfluous here. Despite many action filled scenes, it's the quieter moments that are most memorable for me, including when the protagonist pieces together a significant piece of a puzzle at CIA HQ (love the manner in which they show how the investigative mind works) and a covert assassination scene which predates (and foreshadows) the Bin Laden ending and the all too prevalent drone conversation of today. The finale is a bit OTT (and recalls Cape Fear) but imho provides a satisfying conclusion to a fantastic film.

PS: A part of me wonders whether this film in some way influenced GE. Sean Bean was chosen as villain and the tag line for this film (Not For Honour. Not For Country. For His Wife and Child) reminds me of "For England James? No, For Me"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    lostworld4k10501.jpg

The Lost World Jurassic Park I think this is possibly my favourite of the series, the T - Rex scenes are pretty awesome and stand up very well. The score by John Williams is crazy though I love it, some masterful tense scenes directed by Spielberg.

@Creasy47 still debating whether to buy the 4K Jurassic Park Trilogy Boxset, the reviews are mixed. Have you bought it?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I haven't, I've sadly never been big on that series. Shame about the mixed reviews; seemed the same way with The Matrix but I thought it looked great. Next 4K purchases for me will be the Mission: Impossible series next month and maybe The Patriot if I cave.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 45,489
    I had planned to take my son to see SOLO this weekend, but when I found out LOVING VINCENT was showing, I took him to that instead and I am not sorry. A truly unique masterpiece, unlike anything you have ever seen, 100 artists made 65000 oil paintings that make up this film. It takes place in the early 1890s, a year after the death of Vincent Van Gogh, with several flashbacks

.We were alone in the theatre.
    MV5BY2JjZTIyYmQtNmQ0Yy00YTM2LTliNTgtYjRlMDcxN2ZjYmFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I haven't, I've sadly never been big on that series. Shame about the mixed reviews; seemed the same way with The Matrix but I thought it looked great. Next 4K purchases for me will be the Mission: Impossible series next month and maybe The Patriot if I cave.

I watched a review for The Matrix earlier I'll definitely buy it, the colouring changes sound like an improvement.

Just watched Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle Utter garbage.
    I had planned to take my son to see SOLO this weekend, but when I found out LOVING VINCENT was showing, I took him to that instead and I am not sorry. A truly unique masterpiece, unlike anything you have ever seen, 100 artists made 65000 oil paintings that make up this film. It takes place in the early 1890s, a year after the death of Vincent Van Gogh, with several flashbacks

.We were alone in the theatre.
    MV5BY2JjZTIyYmQtNmQ0Yy00YTM2LTliNTgtYjRlMDcxN2ZjYmFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

I'll look out for this film I have numerous Van Gogh prints, I appreciate surrealism, abstract and expressionist art.