Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Has anyone ever had that experience where a film doesn't truly offer much but the aftertaste leaves quite an impact on you that you want to watch it more?

This one is doing that to me right now. By George, I'm enjoying it more than I should.

when_8_bells_toll_UKquad-1.jpg
    Cool poster! Surprisingly I have never heard of that film.
    It's a cool poster alright!

Although, as a warning, I wouldn't advise you to expect much from it. Not that the film is slow-paced, just hurt by the low budget production it was made around. It offers a very witty dialogue, however, an outstanding and charismatic performance by Anthony Hopkins (when that man isn't charismatic?!) and a terrific soundtrack composed by Angela Morley (credited as Walter Scott). Otherwise, it's not action-heavy at all, but an actioner regardless.

There's more than one Bond connection to this spy thriller.

I saw it in the theatre- I remember liking it, almost as much as Puppet On A Chain, but I probably need to see it again for a proper adult opinion...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had that experience where a film doesn't truly offer much but the aftertaste leaves quite an impact on you that you want to watch it more?

This one is doing that to me right now. By George, I'm enjoying it more than I should.

Although, as a warning, I wouldn't advise you to expect much from it. Not that the film is slow-paced, just hurt by the low budget production it was made around. It offers a very witty dialogue, however, an outstanding and charismatic performance by Anthony Hopkins (when that man isn't charismatic?!) and a terrific soundtrack composed by Angela Morley (credited as Walter Scott). Otherwise, it's not action-heavy at all, but an actioner regardless.

I saw it in the theatre- I remember liking it, almost as much as Puppet On A Chain, but I probably need to see it again for a proper adult opinion...
    Loved both of those myself.

Looking forward to your review.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I'll look out for the film, I still have A Bridge Too Far on Bluray to watch which I bought a few months back, Hopkins was great in that movie.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,293

Watched this one a few months ago on Youtube of all places. Quite enjoyed it!
    Watched it for the first time a few years back on a VHS quality and it was bad. But, I did enjoy it. Bought the BluRay recently because I did like the film as I remembered, now I love it even more. It's the type of film that grows on you.

Didn't need to grow on me! Will have to watch it again sometime soon - only this time on DVD/Blu-ray. Shame they didn't make more than one film with Hopkins' character.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Watched Puppet on a Chain a couple of months ago. The boat chase was the highlight of that one, if you ask me! Have a few Alistair MacLean novels lying around. Wonder if Puppet on a Chain is one of them.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423

Watched it for the first time a few years back on a VHS quality and it was bad. But, I did enjoy it. Bought the BluRay recently because I did like the film as I remembered, now I love it even more. It's the type of film that grows on you.
    Didn't need to grow on me! Will have to watch it again sometime soon - only this time on DVD/Blu-ray. Shame they didn't make more than one movie with Hopkins' character.
    Indeed. A series was planned with the Philip Calvert character in the wake of the rumours and assumptions that the Bond series would end as soon as Sean Connery quits the role, hence something was cooked up to "capture the Bond fans" by Katsner and Gershwin. But, sadly, the film wasn't commercially and critically successful. Shame it really didn't. I would've loved to see Hopkins playing Calvert for many more films.

I have that dvd too. It's a movie that BBC would show early Saturday evening! Hopkins is very good in it as is the great Robert Morley.
    Love the main theme too.
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I have that dvd too. It's a movie that BBC would show early Saturday evening! Hopkins is very good in it as is the great Robert Morley.
    Love the main theme too.
    I upgraded it to BluRay. Believe me, it's definitely worth it.

Didn't need to grow on me! Will have to watch it again sometime soon - only this time on DVD/Blu-ray. Shame they didn't make more than one movie with Hopkins' character.
    Indeed. A series was planned with the Philip Calvert character in the wake of the rumours and assumptions that the Bond series would end as soon as Sean Connery quits the role, hence something was cooked up to "capture the Bond fans" by Katsner and Gershwin. But, sadly, the film wasn't commercially and critically successful. Shame it really didn't. I would've loved to see Hopkins playing Calvert for many more films.

It somehow didn't feel like a standalone film. As if the Calvert character would have benefitted from a sequel, at least - which was their intention, of course. If the film had been more successful, I wonder if this could have been a 70's Harry Palmer to the Bond series.

It somehow didn't feel like a standalone film. As if the Calvert character would have benefitted from a sequel, at least - which was their intention, of course. If the film had been more successful, I wonder if this could have been a 70's Harry Palmer to the Bond series.
    Comparison-wise, indeed. Although, it definitely would've been something akin to the Bond character as a man of action rather than an intelligence officer like Palmer. Alistair MacLean always had the element of fast-paced thriller into the heart and soul of his stories, hence he's my favourite writer of all time.

I don't know why exactly, but the ending of the film always sends a chill down my spine. I find it very cool that Calvert stands his ground:

"To quote a late friend of mine: It's what I do best."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is one of MacLean s better books.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,293

Comparison-wise, indeed. Although, it definitely would've been something akin to the Bond character as a man of action rather than an intelligence officer like Palmer. Alistair MacLean always had the element of fast-paced thriller into the heart and soul of his stories, hence he's my favourite writer of all time.

I don't know why exactly, but the ending of the film always sends a chill down my spine. I find it very cool that Calvert stands his ground:

I was of course only thinking comparison-wise, with both being gritty, less glamorous equivalents to Bond. The differences between Palmer/Calvert are there, of course. The most interesting thing about those two characters perhaps, is the men who portrayed them. Hopkins and Cane aren't your usual B-actor who might have starred in a Eurospy film (at that time)!

Quite liked the ending. Leaves you wanting more, of course.

Apart from the wartime MacLean films, and When Eight Bells Toll/Puppet on a Chain; what are best films to watch, based on the MacLean books? Can't remember that many. Death Train and Night Watch are the only ones I remember - mostly because Brosnan starring in them.
    Bear Island is quite good. Ice Station Zebra takes quite a lot of liberties with the original novel, but Patrick McGohan is in it, so that counts for something. Breakheart Pass is just a vehicle for Charles Bronson. For Bondians, The Hostage Tower features the TMWTGG lovelies, Maud Adams and Britt Eckland, but is not a masterpiece.

What I regret is that what I consider as McLean's best novel, his first one, HMS Ulysses, was never made as a movie. I think it would have been a classic.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423

I was of course only thinking comparison-wise, with both being gritty, less glamorous equivalents to Bond. The differences between Palmer/Calvert are there, of course. The most interesting thing about those two characters perhaps, is the men who portrayed them. Hopkins and Cane aren't your usual B-actor who might have starred in a Eurospy film (at that time)!

Apart from the wartime MacLean films, and When Eight Bells Toll/Puppet on a Chain; what are best films to watch, based on the MacLean books? Can't remember that many. Death Train and Night Watch are the only ones I remember - mostly because Brosnan starring in them.
    Oh definitely. Although, despite the setting, I wouldn't go as far to say When Eight Bells Toll is that gritty, as the finale at the castle was rather fantastical. And I definitely agree the ending makes you want more. Such a damning shame to this day they haven't released the soundtrack album to the film, because they should.

Other films based on MacLean's books I recommend are The Satan Bug, a great spy thriller, and only to gain experience on some of his work, try Ice Station Zebra. It bears an ensemble cast and a very big budget production quality, but it isn't as exciting as you'd think. Patrick McGoohan of the Danger Man and The Prisoner fame stars in it as the cryptic British spy opposite Ernest Borgnine and Rock Hudson.
    It is one of MacLean s better books.
    Agreed. It's definitely a great book.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Bear Island is quite good. Ice Station Zebra takes quite a lot of liberties with the original novel, but Patrick McGohan is in it, so that counts for something. Breakheart Pass is just a vehicle for Charles Bronson. For Bondians, The Hostage Tower features the TMWTGG lovelies, Maud Adams and Britt Eckland, but is not a masterpiece.

What I regret is that what I consider as McLean's best novel, his first one, HMS Ulysses, was never made as a movie. I think it would have been a classic.
    You, sir, beat me to it.

Noted! Can't remember watching any of those films. I do actually have The Hostage Tower book, but haven't read it. Didn't know Maud Adams and Britt Ekland starred in the film!

Oh definitely. Although, despite the setting, I wouldn't go as far to say When Eight Bells Toll is that gritty, as the finale at the castle was rather fantastical. And I definitely agree the ending makes you want more. Such a damning shame to this day they haven't released the soundtrack album to the film, because they should.

Other films based on MacLean's books I recommend are The Satan Bug, a great spy thriller, and only to gain experience on some of his work, try Ice Station Zebra. It bears an ensemble cast and a very big budget production quality, but it isn't as exciting as you'd think. Patrick McGoohan of the Danger Man and The Prisoner fame stars in it as the cryptic British spy in it opposite Ernest Borgnine and Rock Hudson.

The ending at the castle wasn't that gritty, no. The setting in Scotland probably added a few notches to the overall grittiness, as well. I guess with a setting in the French Riviera for example, the film wouldn't feel any more gritty than Dr. No. Think they made good use of the locations in When Eight Bells Toll.

Interesting you should mention the soundtrack. Was just about to do a search for it!

Will have to check out The Satan Bug and Ice Station Zebra. I've had the latter on my to-watch list for quite some time, but have yet to see it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm rather fond of Ice Station Zebra. It's a solid spy / adventure film.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited May 2018 Posts: 6,733
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I caught Executive Decision on cable. It's about a commercial airliner that gets hijacked by Arab terorrists, and the commando team that surreptitiously boards it to save the passengers.

(Mild spoilers ahead, plus one heavy spoiler.)

Solid film. It has a nice procedural feel to it, as much of the running time is taken up by the commando team getting aboard the plane using a pressurized tunnel deployed from another plane; setting about locating, identifying and counting the terrorists; finding and trying to defuse a hidden chemical bomb that could kill millions; and trying to alert the government that although they lost communication, they did manage to get on the plane and the jets following it shouldn't blow it up yet! The shooting aboard the plane is delayed in favor of creating some good suspense, and once the bullets finally start flying, several running threads of the story are brought to a close in rapid succession, and in a most exciting way.

The main thing that rang false to me was the fact Kurt Russell, the one civilian who boarded the plane with the commandos, lands the plane by himself after the pilots die, with no one of the commando team --who might have some knowledge in that matter-- or any possible pilots among the passengers, in sight. His landing the plane is set up nicely at the beginning of the film but should've been better explained away in terms of logic. Otherwise, no real complaints. I mean, the entire premise is highly unlikely when you think about it, but the film makes it feel organic, as it should.

Good cast, with the standouts for me being David Suchet as the main villain and J. T. Walsh as a US Senator. Kurt Russell and John Leguizamo work well together. I also enjoyed Steven Seagal's role.
    Seagal, an established action hero who usually barely gets a scratch in his movies, bites the dust here twenty-something minutes into the film, leaving the rest of the team to fend for themselves. I appreciate it when a film's story uses something external to it --an actor's reputation, in this case-- to its advantage in a surprising way.

Executive Decision is my favorite Die Hard clone, to the point I actually like it more than Die Hard. It's an excellent film that I occasionally pop in the DVD player when I need to kill 2 hours.
    I can see myself preferring this to the original Die Hard. Not 2 and 3, though!

You know, Kurt Russell one of those actors that, if he's in a film, it generally means it's worth your time. This is no exception! I should've also mentioned Oliver Platt, who I've also recently seen in another movie. Good comedic actor.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "I want to tell you that I was not too old for this job. It was the younger men that went under first."
    Capt. R.F Scott, March 29th 1912

Scott Of The Antarctic (1948)
    John Mills stars as Capt. R.F Scott in this account of Scotts doomed Terra-Nova expedition to the South Pole that ended in disaster. I'm going to be honest, before watching Scott Of The Antarctic, I knew next to nothing about this expedition. I knew two things, 1) it ended in disaster, and 2) Oates' famous last words (“I am just going outside and may be some time”). I suppose the mark of a good film of this type, is that it has made me want to know more about the expedition.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What does that quote mean at the top.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 13,894
    It's from a letter that Scott wrote to a friend, Admiral Sir Francis Bridgeman. From what I understand, the letter shows that near the end, Scotts thoughts were not about himself or his remaining team, but that his and their families would be cared for (knowing that they would never leave that tent.
    Only Lovers Left Alive
    Space Cowboys
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Birdleson, I agree with that criticism. I guess I'm more forgiving towards it, seeing how "typical" of certain anime subgenres that is.

There's also 'Fear is the Key', an enjoyable thriller with a great Roy Budd soundtrack and it has an epic car chase in it!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Deadpool 2 (2018)

More action-packed than the first, funnier and gorier, it was an absolute blast for the 2 hours runtime. A lot of hilarious self-aware jokes (even some aimed at Disney and the DC Universe, some very unexpected cameos, and with all due respect to Ryan Reynolds, but Josh Brolin as Cable totally stole the show - can't wait for Sicario 2 next month. And be sure to stay for end credits - even more fun to be found there. The soundtrack was an absolute killer too. Whether the next film will be Deadpool 3 or an X-Force film, I'll be there day one for it.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Mist (2007) excellent movie with a killer ending.

Agreed.

Edge of the seat stuff all the way through.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Deadpool 2 (2018)

More action-packed than the first, funnier and gorier, it was an absolute blast for the 2 hours runtime. A lot of hilarious self-aware jokes (even some aimed at Disney and the DC Universe, some very unexpected cameos, and with all due respect to Ryan Reynolds, but Josh Brolin as Cable totally stole the show - can't wait for Sicario 2 next month. And be sure to stay for end credits - even more fun to be found there. The soundtrack was an absolute killer too. Whether the next film will be Deadpool 3 or an X-Force film, I'll be there day one for it.

I haven t seen it yet, but my son said it was ok and better than the first.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @Thunderfinger you have a son? I thought you were 15.
    I'm excited for Deadpool 2. The first was a terrific, fun surprise, and the second looks to deliver much of the same. I will be seeing this probably next week.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Thunderfinger you have a son? I thought you were 15.

We're all the sons and daughters of @Thunderfinger.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I got a brudder.
    Small world.