Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,694
    THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940)
    hqdefault.jpg

With Tyrone Power as Zorro, scored by Alfred Newman. Ever since reading the books as a kid, Zorro was always one of my favourite variations on the Robin Hood myth. This is a great movie, possibly the best Zorro there is. Basil Rathbone is also excellent as the main adversary, the cruel capitan.

I have the regular DVD and the colourized one. Amazingly, the colourized one looks better! Yeah, no Zorro was ever superiour IMO.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was two hours well spent.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Fellas, has anybody seen The Snowman? And if so, is it worth watching?

I wanted to see it since its release because of Fassbender but the reviews lent on the title are negative. Should I buy into that?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @ClarkDevlin, I'm including a link to my thoughts on the film below. It was ok but I have no interest to watch it again. A bit meh but perhaps worth a viewing.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/800968/#Comment_800968

I wanted to see it since its release because of Fassbender but the reviews lent on the title are negative. Should I buy into that?

I think it is neither very good nor very bad. I enjoyed seeing familiar surroundings in an international thriller, not sure if I would get as much out of it otherwise.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Much obliged, @bondjames. I think that review has me compelled to see it, now. I know I’ll lower my expectations, but if it’s a screen presence I want to see from Fassbender, I think you said it all. Thanks, my friend. :)
    Yes, bondjames review is pretty much spot on.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,333

I think it is neither very good nor very bad. I enjoyed seeing familiar surroundings in an international thriller, not sure if I would get as much out of it otherwise.

Was it strange watching foreign actors portraying Norwegian characters? It's one of the reasons I haven't seen it yet.
    At the mall about to see The Shape of Water. I’ve been meaning to see more of Guillermo del Toro’s work, and was stoked to see his new one get good attention.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    The Snowman (2017):

TSM_INTL_PAYOFF_QUAD_AUS_LORES.jpg

Right! For sometime I wanted to see this film because it starred two of my favourite actors, Michael Fassbender and Rebecca Ferguson, in a crime thriller where the both of them play police officers chasing a serial killer. What intrigued most was how wikipedia depicted the protagonist, saying he's a mixture of "Holmes, Poirot and Maigret", so that peaked my interest in this picture furthermore. However, I'm not slightly familiar with Jo Nesbo who wrote the novel the film was based on. I've had my doubts and lowered my expectations quite a lot after the negative reviews raved in, but decided to give it a shot.

Of course, what I'll say will be rather spoiler-free, so don't feel the need to be cautious... if you're still interested in seeing it, that is. To put it mildly, I actually found the film rather engaging and kept my focus on. In fact, I'll go as far to say it I found this even more enjoyable than The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo (2011). That isn't to say out of the two, this one has a superior story. On the contrary, Stieg Larsson's entry has the better plot. What makes this film more watchable than the other one in comparison is the acting performances from Fassbender specifically, followed very closely by Ferguson, and a little portion of James D'Arcy thrown in (I still wonder why isn't this actor shining in larger and more mainstream roles?), even though his role in it was minor yet playing a key element in finding out the killer.

Of the supporting cast, I found JK Simmons terribly underused in a role that's not too important nor submits any changes to the course of the story other than being a mere pinpoint. Val Kilmer was almost unrecognizable who looked terrible to begin with as if he's on the verge of facing a natural deformation. Poor chap. I rather love him as an actor, and he delivered a great performance for what he was given to carry out. @bondjames was quite right to praise the efforts of Marco Beltrami whose music did play a large part in elevating the film, as well, making the suspense of each scenery quite authentic. But, I can't really praise Tomas Alfredson's direction too much nor can I berate it, because he was fairly average who played it safe with the helm. Some scenes that were supposed to come off as a sheer shock did nothing to me and I didn't feel the disturbing horror that a few violent murders would've depicted. It wasn't any different from the generic contemporary American police procedural TV series nowadays which I find boring. The film could've benefited from another film director. Preferably someone veteran.

Overall, I can't say this film is bad, because it's not. The critics are either less forgiving than I am, or they just love to overreact. The Snowman is nothing special. And Fassbender's character, Harry Hole, is nothing like Holmes, Poirot or Maigret. The only thing he shares with the more famous detective is his addiction, but that's a drinking addiction rather than drug abusing habit. If you want to see this film, don't get your hopes up because you're not going to see a groundbreaking mystery thriller. It's average, but not without its merits as at least three of the cast members elevate the film and raise its watchability level if you're in a mood for seeing something different than your mainstream franchise preferences.

Rate: 6/10.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Detergent Series: Alligient part 1 I am watching this at work I have no idea what's going on other than really random cgi.
    Just got back from The Shape of Water (2017). This was a really good movie, with an excellent director and cast. It oozed passion and definitely moved me. Also had one of the best movie villains I’ve seen in recent times. Great stuff; I’d be happy if it got more awards.
    For me personally, 2017 has been one of the best years for movies in a long while. Possibly the best in this decade. Lots of gems.

Was it strange watching foreign actors portraying Norwegian characters? It's one of the reasons I haven't seen it yet.

No, that didn t bother me at all. It s been done before. Just think of all those viking shows.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @ClarkDevlin, that's an accurate and very fair review of The Snowman. I may just give it another viewing because of it. There's a lot to like visually about that film.

@Artemis81, it's been ages since I've seen The Incredible Hulk. I might have to consider a full MCU-athon prior to the release of the Infinity War beast as well.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 45,489
    OUR RELATIONS (1936)
    s-l300.jpg

Very amusing mix-up comedy. When I was a kid, they showed Laurel and Hardy both on tv and in the cinema all the time. What happened?
    Colour and 16/9, that's what. People are not interested in black and white and 4/3 movies anymore. And yes, that's a crying shame.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FoxRox wrote: »
    For me personally, 2017 has been one of the best years for movies in a long while. Possibly the best in this decade. Lots of gems.

I’ve been thinking just that very thing recently. It has double the amount of 7 and aboves compared to any other year in the decade for me so clear winner here.

No, that didn t bother me at all. It s been done before. Just think of all those viking shows.

I've stayed clear of those, as well! Still, good to hear it didn't affect the viewing experience. Will have to check it out soon.

I’ve been thinking just that very thing recently. It has double the amount of 7 and aboves compared to any other year in the decade for me so clear winner here.

Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049, It, Get Out, Baby Driver, The Shape of Water, and Coco are all 4 plus star films for me, and I still have to see several more movies from 2017. Maybe if we are lucky Hollywood is making a comeback? Despite most other stuff being crummy, 2017 had some seriously great movies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 40,528
    Just got back from The Shape of Water (2017). This was a really good movie, with an excellent director and cast. It oozed passion and definitely moved me. Also had one of the best movie villains I’ve seen in recent times. Great stuff; I’d be happy if it got more awards.

I don't know what awards it won, but I heard it's the first monster movie in modern history to get an above-the-line award, which is very cool. I hope to see it soon, it looks incredible.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I don't know what awards it won, but I heard it's the first monster movie in modern history to get an above-the-line award, which is very cool. I hope to see it soon, it looks incredible.

I hope you get to see it soon. It is excellent; as del Toro said, “adult fairy tale” is a good way to look at it. If if wins Best Picture you won’t hear me complain. It was very moving.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I hope you get to see it soon. It is excellent; as del Toro said, “adult fairy tale” is a good way to look at it. If if wins Best Picture you won’t hear me complain. It was very moving.

I read yesterday this was the film he jumped to after it was decided he wouldn't helm the Pacific Rim sequel, which makes me happy. Money and time well spent, it looks like.
    I have a lot of respect for Del Toro. His passion for his work is undeniable. He cares as much as any filmmaker. I wish him more success in work; I’m a huge fan of Pan’s Labyrinth, and now, The Shape of Water.
    The Shape of Water isn t coming here until next month.
    I actually caught the last showing at my closest theater, and now it’s gone. Didn’t even know that until today!
    I do hope the local cinema shows it. You never know with quality films.
    I do hope the local cinema shows it. You never know with quality films.

I wonder why a lot of quality films have such limited releases? Really annoying.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    So many good films and I still haven’t seen hostiles or phantom thread
    So many good films and I still haven’t seen hostiles or phantom thread

Phantom Thread is definitely on my list.