Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Risico007 what don't you like about The Grey, if I am ask?
    It (1990). A mixed bag, but Tim Curry makes the movie. Very entertaining because of him. I think the 2017 one is far superior overall though.
    The Hitman's bodyguard - made me laugh out loud by the whole over the top action-scenes and dialogue between Reynolds and Jackson. It is a great actioner and a lot of fun simply because a large part is situated in the Netherlands. Good fun watching.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Hitman's bodyguard - made me laugh out loud by the whole over the top action-scenes and dialogue between Reynolds and Jackson. It is a great actioner and a lot of fun simply because a large part is situated in the Netherlands. Good fun watching.
    You reflect my views exactly on the film! :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I really enjoyed this one too. It had a sort of Rush Hour flavour to it, with one playing it for laughs and the other playing it straight.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    bondjames wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this one too. It had a sort of Rush Hour flavour to it, with one playing it for laughs and the other playing it straight.
    Precisely! :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Watching Star Trek The Motion Picture Kirk space dock scene, I love this film.

Had chills in certain scenes upscaled to 4K this looks phenomenal, good God this is amazing, world class director.
    I think that's the best Star Trek film personally. It's another one of these films I couldn't stand as a kid (Wrath of Khan was my favourite) but which I have done a complete 360 on. Goldsmith's score is masterclass.

The score is fantastic, on that viewing the sets and even the uniforms visually popped a great deal more. Star Trek The Motion Picture looked so dull on VHS and DVD, I really hope this film gets the full 4K upscale.

The Blu Ray certainly makes the theatrical version POP! I think it's the best Trek film even though I love IV & VI with a ferociousness...
    Following up the 1990 version with It (2017) now. One of my favorite new movies.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Watching Star Trek The Motion Picture Kirk space dock scene, I love this film.

Had chills in certain scenes upscaled to 4K this looks phenomenal, good God this is amazing, world class director.
    I think that's the best Star Trek film personally. It's another one of these films I couldn't stand as a kid (Wrath of Khan was my favourite) but which I have done a complete 360 on. Goldsmith's score is masterclass.

The score is fantastic, on that viewing the sets and even the uniforms visually popped a great deal more. Star Trek The Motion Picture looked so dull on VHS and DVD, I really hope this film gets the full 4K upscale.

The Blu Ray certainly makes the theatrical version POP! I think it's the best Trek film even though I love IV & VI with a ferociousness...

I watched the DVD version of The Directors Edition before this Bluray watch, just the Vulcan scene it looked very blury. It's a shame as I think you pointed out before that the additional scenes are in standard definition.
    @Risico007 what don't you like about The Grey, if I am ask?

Just that While Neeson’s job is to protect people he does a bad job of it
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PARDON US (1931)

Some amazing stuff going around here. Oliver Hardy disguised as a black man singing is one of the highlights. A few musical numbers thrown in, maybe due to the success of The Jazz Singer.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    For anyone with Amazon Prime, the documentary Milius is once again available.
    Very, very, very recommended.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I watched it when it was on Prime in the UK, agreed a very good documentary.
    SONS OF THE DESERT (1933)

Hadnt seen this before. Real silly, but fun.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Terminator - Genisys (2015)

I saw this in the theatre when it came out and I found it quite disappointing at the time. This was my 2nd viewing and my first impressions were confirmed. CGI infested, lacking in tension or suspense and filled with cheap gags spewed by poorly developed characters, this film personifies a lot of what's wrong with Hollywood movies at the moment. It's a pseudo reboot of sorts which just pales in comparison with the original or its first sequel. The fact that it made quite a bit of money overseas (Asia most likely) is also troubling for me, because it suggests other franchises may choose to emulate this approach. I certainly hope not.

Brilliant documentary. And quite sad to see a great screenwriter/director struck down.
    Did some really great films...'Dillenger' Big Wednesday' 'The Wind and the Lion' and of course the original 'Conan the Barbarian', not to mention scripting ' Jeremiah Johnson' and writer of the famous wartime speech Robert Shaws character gives in 'Jaws' !
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I saw this in the theatre when it came out and I found it quite disappointing at the time. This was my 2nd viewing and my first impressions were confirmed. CGI infested, lacking in tension or suspense and filled with cheap gags spewed by poorly developed characters, this film personifies a lot of what's wrong with Hollywood movies at the moment. It's a pseudo reboot of sorts which just pales in comparison with the original or its first sequel. The fact that it made quite a bit of money overseas (Asia most likely) is also troubling for me, because it suggests other franchises may choose to emulate this approach. I certainly hope not.

The only positive I walked away from was them subverting expectations and putting a twist on some of those remade shots. Of course, nothing from the first two films should have ever been remade, anyway, and I'm glad the series is pressing on in a different direction. Though if this one doesn't work, they should call it a day and just stop.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    MI5. Hadn't watched it in ages. Great action movie. The story is full of plot holes bit still great fun.
    SONS OF THE DESERT (1933)

Hadnt seen this before. Real silly, but fun.

My favourite of theirs, but i haven't seen many though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The only positive I walked away from was them subverting expectations and putting a twist on some of those remade shots. Of course, nothing from the first two films should have ever been remade, anyway, and I'm glad the series is pressing on in a different direction. Though if this one doesn't work, they should call it a day and just stop.

The new Cameron produced films will be direct continuations of T2; all of the other sequels and the TV series will be ignored.

You can find several on Youtube.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE RETROSPECTIVE:

Ironmanposter.JPG

This is my third time seeing this movie and it does not disappoint. I like the realism in this film, dealing with the war in Afghanistan, and how they incorporate the superhero genre into it. I like Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark; his personality, those little quips he seems to say under his breath are hilarious, and I especially like the banter he has with Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts. They have good chemistry and I love their scenes together. I also liked Terrence Howard as Rhodey, I wonder why he didn't come back? The action was really great - the CGI in this movie was pretty good, and it mesh well together with whatever props they were using. However, some questions that arose were: Why did Tony want to make the Iron Man suit after he escape Afghanistan? Why was his motivation for creating it if he decided that weapons were not longer best for Stark Industries? How does the arch reactor is his heart work again? It was explained that it keeps the shrapnel away from his heart, but when it was taken out, why was he so weak? If anything, I thought he would die right away because his heart was being torn apart? Anyways, I don't really have any real negatives - some might say the villain is weak (as is with other Marvel villains), but I did like Jeff Bridges's character. His Obadiah Stane is one that's been played in other films, but he did a good job and I was able to go along with his plans. Overall a great movie.

Rankings:
    1. Iron Man
    2. The Incredible Hulk
    ZORRO (1975)
    feb-05-1975-alain-delon-is-the-producer-and-an-actor-in-the-new-version-e110d5.jpg

This Alain Delon film is magnificent in every way. I really like the rich, European 70s style here.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Just watched Becket and the lion in the winter. Both were excellent and the 60’s must now be the best decade for film in history. Any suggestions of good similar films?
    I thought it would be good to revisit the world's of Hayao Miyazaki, so I put Nausicaa in the Valley of the Winds in the DVD player, and didn't regret it. Beautiful!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The new Star Wars film. .. didn't think
    Much of it.
    SAPS AT SEA (1940)

Not their best by far, but there are some amusing scenes.
    I used to want to try that rope spaghetti because of the sound Ollie made while eating it.
    That was Stan.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 6,760
    I was wondering about that after posting...

Anyway, about the spaghetti, I was just a kid. :))