Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @chrisisall been reading up on the film, The Sorcerer had the misfortune of being released at the same time as Star Wars which buried it unfortunately.

And why I never saw it....

People were queuing to see Star Wars and Smokey and the Bandit, timing is everything when releasing a film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @chrisisall been reading up on the film, The Sorcerer had the misfortune of being released at the same time as Star Wars which buried it unfortunately.

People were queuing to see Star Wars and Smokey and the Bandit, timing is everything when releasing a film.

Smokey what?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Smokey what?

Not a Burt fan? It's not my favourite Burt movie though Smokey and the Bandit did very well at the box office.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,694

Smokey what?

Not a Burt fan?

I love Shamus, Malone & Sharkey's Machine.

Smokey what?

Not a Burt fan?

Burt made some great films, Deliverence is good and Gator and White Lightning
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Smokey what?

Not a Burt fan?

What's the one where he's got it in for an albino? early to mid 70s I think.
    1287621125-m.jpg

The Sorcerer this has Friedkin's usual grit and then some, I have never seen this film before though I heard about the 40th Anniversary Collectors edition accompanied by very high praise. This was a good blind buy the transfer is superb. Roy Schiender is now in four of my favourite films after watching this, this film is raw and unforgiving, once the protagonists are in the South American Jungle I was totally gripped. The Sorcerer is a journey into hell, there is great imagery and subtext, awesome movie experience.

Just purchased it at Christmas. Looking forward to watching it this week. The original 'Wages of Fear' is superb but Sorcerer has been reappraised lately. Friedkin had two classics under his belt with The French Connection and The Exorcist. Hoping this is as good! Based on your review it should be!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,528

Smokey what?

Not a Burt fan?

What's the one where he's got it in for an albino? early to mid 70s I think.

I think that's a film called Stick 1985 it's a film I never watched. Edited: I did see it just looked it up, Charles Durning reminded me I had.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    1287621125-m.jpg

The Sorcerer this has Friedkin's usual grit and then some, I have never seen this film before though I heard about the 40th Anniversary Collectors edition accompanied by very high praise. This was a good blind buy the transfer is superb. Roy Schiender is now in four of my favourite films after watching this, this film is raw and unforgiving, once the protagonists are in the South American Jungle I was totally gripped. The Sorcerer is a journey into hell, there is great imagery and subtext, awesome movie experience.

Just purchased it at Christmas. Looking forward to watching it this week. The original 'Wages of Fear' is superb but Sorcerer has been reappraised lately. Friedkin had two classics under his belt with The French Connection and The Exorcist. Hoping this is as good! Based on your review it should be!

There are two fantastic set pieces which make the film worthwhile, you will know them when you see them.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, no don't think Stick is it. It was deaf from the 70s, his character use to rag onto the albino about his 'funny bunny rabbit eyes'. Damn, I;m going to have to google it now…
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,528
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, no don't think Stick is it. It was deaf from the 70s, his character use to rag onto the albino about his 'funny bunny rabbit eyes'. Damn, I;m going to have to google it now…

This is the scene ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES (1932)
    Pack_Up_Your_Troubles_LC.jpg

Not their best, but it has its moments of both humour and drama. I had a few laughs, and was even moved a couple times, so job done.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've only seen Wages of Fear (incredibly gripping and intense), will have to give Sorcerer a go some day. Can't go wrong with Friedkin and Scheider.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've only seen Wages of Fear (incredibly gripping and intense), will have to give Sorcerer a go some day. Can't go wrong with Friedkin and Scheider.

Not seen Wages of Fear I'll try and get hold of it, some aspects of the story have been tweaked in The Sorcerer Apparently.
    'Wages of Fear' is well worth checking out, terrific film making. Have only seem it a couple of times but it has great impact. 'Sorceror' i had only heard of as an inferior remake and so hadnt bothered. Its re-release is getting such positive reviews that i had to purchase it! Wont get a chance to view it til Thursday. Looking forward to it!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    'Wages of Fear' is well worth checking out, terrific film making. Have only seem it a couple of times but it has great impact. 'Sorceror' i had only heard of as an inferior remake and so hadnt bothered. Its re-release is getting such positive reviews that i had to purchase it! Wont get a chance to view it til Thursday. Looking forward to it!

I'll have a look on Amazon for 'Wages of Fear', you will have to post your opinion on the Sorcerer when you have watched it.

This is the scene ;)

Yep, never seen that film. The scene I'm thinking of takes place outside a holding cell, think Burt is a cop and the albino maybe a crim or informant can't really remember, but defo not Stick. This is going to bug the sh*t out of me now. Movies4Men need to do a Burt season, hopefully catch it then.
    Question: Is Stick worth watching?

This is the scene ;)

Yep, never seen that film. The scene I'm thinking of takes place outside a holding cell, think Burt is a cop and the albino maybe a crim or informant can't really remember, but defo not Stick. This is going to bug the sh*t out of me now. Movies4Men need to do a Burt season, hopefully catch it then.

Stick is a film cited as around the time Reynolds was in decline, I can't remember much aboutique it to be honest. I am due a rewatch of Reynolds best films myself
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE RETROSPECTIVE
    I am preparing myself for Avengers: Infinity War by watching all of the films leading up to it. I decided to watch a film a week and it seems that I will be done by the time May 4th rolls around. So lets start with:

The_Incredible_Hulk_poster.jpg

Well, not exactly the first film in this cinematic universe, but apparent Netflix DVD did not have Iron Man on hand. If it goes this way, I probably won't be watching these films in order (I will watching Black Panther when it's released in February), but that's fine. Anyways, I saw this movie for the first time back when before The Avengers was released. I didn't care much about the character of Hulk and I felt the same way about this movie. Watching it for the second time, I liked it. I like how they had the origin story in the opening credits seeing that this was a 2nd actor playing Bruce Banner/Hulk, and they didn't have to waste time explaining how he became so. I wish the Amazing Spider-Man would have done this. It just jumps right in, where Bruce is now and what he is trying to achieve. I like the characters, the nods to the Incredible Hulk TV series (purple pants, Lou Ferrigno, etc.), and some of the action scenes especially the one in Brazil and at Culver University. Actually, I like the first 2/3 of the film then it becomes cliche and rushed - Bruce doesn't want to be the Hulk anymore (with good reason), but then Abomination causes havoc, and he needs to stop him; Blonski gets a taste of the super serum and wants more; they both fight and everyone sees Hulk differently; now Bruce is on the run again. Then there are questions like: What was Blonski trying to achieve from being Abomination? He didn't come off a one to destroy and cause mayham, How come Abomination was able to talk/think? How did Bruce know that he would transform back into the Hulk after it was taken out of him? How come crashing into the ground caused Bruce to turn into Hulk, I thought it was an angry thing (maybe self defense)? Why would he want to go back to Hulk when he tried so much to get rid of it? Also the Norton version of Hulk saying "Hulk Smash" didn't seem quite right, it almost like his Hulk wouldn't say things like that and they were just doing it for fan service. For some reason, I find it more believable coming from Ruffalo's Hulk. Speaking of which, I did like Norton's line about his Hulk being in a enclosed space (train underground) which is reminiscent to what Ruffalo's says in Avengers on the Helicarrier. Overall, it was an ok film.

Rankings:
    1. The Incredible Hulk
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    I never saw The Dark Knight Rises before now, I got the blu ray because of all the talk on here and just watched it... big fan of BB, not so much of TDK, but I have to say TDKR is a F****ng MASTERPIECE!!!! I will be reeling for days. Many tissues have been destroyed. OMFG.
    Glad TDKR has another fan.
    You were part of why I finally decided to finally purchase & watch it. Many humble thanks.

This trilogy was so unlike normal superhero movies. And I have to admit that the 2hrs & 40 minutes just flew by. I fear this quality in superhero movies (attempting this level of 'realism') will never be surpassed.

My favourite of the trilogy by far. The long runtime just flies by.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,985

This is the scene ;)

Stick is based on an Elmore Leonard novel. The film definitely features an albino. Played by stuntman Dar Robinson no less.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Hitman's Bodyguard. A great fun action buddy movie.
    The Hitman's Bodyguard. A great fun action buddy movie.

Totally forgettable afterwards, but I was surprised by how fun it actually was.
    Deadly Blessing (1981) dir. Wes Craven. Arrow Video blu-ray. A forgotten film from the horror meister. With a young Sharon Stone (only her second film) looking totally gorgeous. Set in an Amish type community, this is quite an effective thriller…until the ending. Something that surprised the original scriptwriter upon viewing at the Premiere. Also Wes Craven wasn't too keen on it either, but it was something the producers insisted upon. A shock ending a la 'Carrie'. They also wanted the girls to wear lingerie as much as possible. Not a terrific film, but not a total waste of time either.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE RETROSPECTIVE
    I am preparing myself for Avengers: Infinity War by watching all of the films leading up to it. I decided to watch a film a week and it seems that I will be done by the time May 4th rolls around. So lets start with:

The_Incredible_Hulk_poster.jpg

Well, not exactly the first film in this cinematic universe, but apparent Netflix DVD did not have Iron Man on hand. If it goes this way, I probably won't be watching these films in order (I will watching Black Panther when it's released in February), but that's fine. Anyways, I saw this movie for the first time back when before The Avengers was released. I didn't care much about the character of Hulk and I felt the same way about this movie. Watching it for the second time, I liked it. I like how they had the origin story in the opening credits seeing that this was a 2nd actor playing Bruce Banner/Hulk, and they didn't have to waste time explaining how he became so. I wish the Amazing Spider-Man would have done this. It just jumps right in, where Bruce is now and what he is trying to achieve. I like the characters, the nods to the Incredible Hulk TV series (purple pants, Lou Ferrigno, etc.), and some of the action scenes especially the one in Brazil and at Culver University. Actually, I like the first 2/3 of the film then it becomes cliche and rushed - Bruce doesn't want to be the Hulk anymore (with good reason), but then Abomination causes havoc, and he needs to stop him; Blonski gets a taste of the super serum and wants more; they both fight and everyone sees Hulk differently; now Bruce is on the run again. Then there are questions like: What was Blonski trying to achieve from being Abomination? He didn't come off a one to destroy and cause mayham, How come Abomination was able to talk/think? How did Bruce know that he would transform back into the Hulk after it was taken out of him? How come crashing into the ground caused Bruce to turn into Hulk, I thought it was an angry thing (maybe self defense)? Why would he want to go back to Hulk when he tried so much to get rid of it? Also the Norton version of Hulk saying "Hulk Smash" didn't seem quite right, it almost like his Hulk wouldn't say things like that and they were just doing it for fan service. For some reason, I find it more believable coming from Ruffalo's Hulk. Speaking of which, I did like Norton's line about his Hulk being in a enclosed space (train underground) which is reminiscent to what Ruffalo's says in Avengers on the Helicarrier. Overall, it was an ok film.

Rankings:
    1. The Incredible Hulk

I'll be glad to read your thoughts on the other films, @Artemis81. What surprises me is that you didn't start with Iron Man though.
    He explains that in his post.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    ^What Thunderfinger said. I have to rely on Netflix to see these films as I don't own any of them. We'll see how it goes, Iron Man is next on the list so I hope it shows up.
    I want to go see The Shape of Water soon. I also have The Post, The Disaster Artist, and Phantom Thread on my radar, but I probably won’t see all in the theater. Too expensive.
    11 Cloverfield Lane - very good up until the escape and then ....it went bonkers
    patb wrote: »
    11 Cloverfield Lane - very good up until the escape and then ....it went bonkers

Agree, really tense and good film. The ending ruined alot though.
    THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940)
    hqdefault.jpg

With Tyrone Power as Zorro, scored by Alfred Newman. Ever since reading the books as a kid, Zorro was always one of my favourite variations on the Robin Hood myth. This is a great movie, possibly the best Zorro there is. Basil Rathbone is also excellent as the main adversary, the cruel capitan.