Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've never seen Dehaan in anything that I've enjoyed, and he's always been a straight miss for me. I find him very grating a screen presence, or at least taxing, best seen in Amazing Spider-Man 2 where his performance added nicely to the many issues with that film.

I do want to see him in A Cure for Wellness as I think that kind of film and role suits him more than blockbuster stuff.

Is that Del Torro's new film? I know little about it.

Dehaan was ok in Chronicle though he fit the damaged character reasonably well. It's amazing how one film that does ok gets average actors many film roles after.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, the new Del Torro film is The Shape of Water, but Dehaan isn't in that. A Cure for Wellness I think deals with his character experiencing a sort of mental clinic or hospital, and creepiness ensues. As with Chronicle, that kind of role seems to fit him more than others. He's not good at lighting up the screen, so when he's tasked with playing a character that must be charismatic, he falters. But while playing low key, subtle characters where he doesn't have to overextend himself, I think he's much better. Basically, his range is limited on one end, unfortunately. Maybe when he kind of grows into his shoes he'll get better, as he is just a youngin' yet.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, the new Del Torro film is The Shape of Water, but Dehaan isn't in that. A Cure for Wellness I think deals with his character experiencing a sort of mental clinic or hospital, and creepiness ensues. As with Chronicle, that kind of role seems to fit him more than others. He's not good at lighting up the screen, so when he's tasked with playing a character that must be charismatic, he falters. But while playing low key, subtle characters where he doesn't have to overextend himself, I think he's much better. Basically, his range is limited on one end, unfortunately. Maybe when he kind of grows into his shoes he'll get better, as he is just a youngin' yet.

True all actors have strengths and weaknesses, Hollywood just tends to shoehorn the flavour of the month into blockbuster roles which does not always work.

Of course The Shape of Water been so busy lately I am out of the loop with upcoming films, plus lost interest in new films of late as many i have watched recently have been disappointing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't know much about The Shape of Water but with all the creative failures Del Torro has had over recent years in both films and video games (projects that never materialize, or that are shut down and killed) I'm super thrilled that the movie is getting so many plaudits and awards buzz. A well deserved winner for him.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    There isn't a "Movie-comment while you watch" thread it seems or I'm not finding it. For Bond there is.

When I watch "Starship Troopers" I should comment on it, after all, it is the first film newer than circa 1975 I will ever have seen (outside Bond naturally). And I've only seen about 5 films of the early 70s even.

Do you guys realize how I feel? Like before my first solo parachute jump....
    ...hopefully after Starship Troopers I will have the same reaction as after the jump....and it was GOOOOOOOOOOD.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've never seen Dehaan in anything that I've enjoyed, and he's always been a straight miss for me. I find him very grating a screen presence, or at least taxing, best seen in Amazing Spider-Man 2 where his performance added nicely to the many issues with that film.

I do want to see him in A Cure for Wellness as I think that kind of film and role suits him more than blockbuster stuff.

A Cure for wellness is awesome and supremely entertaining. DeHaan who I never thought much of is great in the role. The film is shot super well and had an engaging story set in Switzerland concerning a disturbing version of our own world.
    @JamesBondKenya, glad to hear you liked it. It seems more interesting than most films I see previewed these days, and it's on my list. But as always, the vintage films on the list come first for viewings over the new stuff.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited January 2018 Posts: 45,489
    I don't know much about The Shape of Water but with all the creative failures Del Torro has had over recent years in both films and video games (projects that never materialize, or that are shut down and killed) I'm super thrilled that the movie is getting so many plaudits and awards buzz. A well deserved winner for him.

One of my most anticipated films.

And you are right that DeHaan was good in A CURE FOR WELLNESS. The whole cast was great there.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Dehaan was great in Chronicle. Good direction is what he needs.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DeHaan is a strange choice for a Hollywood leading man imho. He is distinctive looking, but there's something off centre about him. A bit like Edward Norton, but even more so. I'd say the same applies to Cara Delivigne imho. That's why I was surprised that they were the mutual leads in Valerian. Perhaps their style appeals to other markets, but I just couldn't see it resonating stateside.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    "Our Man Flint " got it for half price from google movies as a HD download.
    bondjames wrote: »
    DeHaan is a strange choice for a Hollywood leading man imho. He is distinctive looking, but there's something off centre about him. A bit like Edward Norton, but even more so. I'd say the same applies to Cara Delivigne imho. That's why I was surprised that they were the mutual leads in Valerian. Perhaps their style appeals to other markets, but I just couldn't see it resonating stateside.

@bondjames, my first thought in my earlier post was that when Dehaan grows up he'll have that distinctive look, but feel more of a man and not a kid, and that'll help him. Well, guess what? He appears to be one of those actors like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone who can be in their 30s and still look like a young adult. He's 31, if you can believe it! He'd better start growing up quick...

I wonder if he gets insulted by playing all these kid roles in everything, and never anyone his age. I guess the sad thing is that maybe those casting him don't think he can credibly play an older character closer to his age. Always fascinating when someone's face is about 12 years subtracted from their age.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that is news to me about Dehaan's age. He definitely doesn't look 31. Hollywood generally tries to fit people into stereotypical boxes based on their appearance and so unless he starts to mature physically he could indeed be stuck in 'younger' roles. I was more referring to his facial appearance though, which I would venture to term 'unconventional' for a leading man (or even leading boy). He seems more suited to baddies (like his role in Amazing Spider Man) or supporting characters rather than a lead. As an example, I think Edward Norton is still most well known for his breakout role in Primal Fear.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Foreigner (2017)

Finally watched this new film directed by Martin Campbell, featuring Pierce Brosnan and Jackie Chan, 22 years after Goldeneye. And what a movie this is. Fantastic directing by Campbell, a really interesting plot, that was way more of a political thriller style than a straight up Taken with Jackie Chan, which IMO made the film even better than what I expected. Jackie Chan was highly intense as the world-weary older action hero about to kick some major ass, but Pierce Brosnan, for me, was the real star of the film. Absolutely electrifying performance from him, he totally blew my expectations out of the water. I hope Campbell, Chan and Brosnan will continue to add more action thrillers in their respective filmographies, as they've never lost the magic touch in true badassery they've had for several decades now.

Bravo!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,608
    Slumdog Millionaire

Beautiful film, this. One of those Oscar Winners I continue to watch. And since my girlfriend has a bit of Indian blood running through her veins, this is a film we can both enjoy.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that is news to me about Dehaan's age. He definitely doesn't look 31. Hollywood generally tries to fit people into stereotypical boxes based on their appearance and so unless he starts to mature physically he could indeed be stuck in 'younger' roles. I was more referring to his facial appearance though, which I would venture to term 'unconventional' for a leading man (or even leading boy). He seems more suited to baddies (like his role in Amazing Spider Man) or supporting characters rather than a lead. As an example, I think Edward Norton is still most well known for his breakout role in Primal Fear.
    @bondjames, I'm inclined to degree. I think he'd shine in the background, without having to support a film on his shoulders.

Dehaan would be funny in an original, sort of indie movie about a 30 or 40 something actor who is still getting cast as teenagers, and the story would follow his attempts to finally act his age, both literally and figuratively. Art imitating life, etc.

I do like Del Torro's work especially Pans Labyrinth and the Hellboy films, I will have to watch The Shape of Water Indeed he deserves recognition. Noticed Crimson Peak on Netflix I need to watch that too, I am a big fan of gothic horror.
    I loved Pan’s Labyrinth, haven’t seen the Hellboy films or Shape of Water yet. Found Crimson Peak to be meh.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I loved Pan’s Labyrinth, haven’t seen the Hellboy films or Shape of Water yet. Found Crimson Peak to be meh.

I read the reviews for Crimson Peak not great though I'll give it a go, the Hellboy films are good though I like that genre, very creative films and Ron Pearlman is perfect in the lead role.
    One of the biggest missed opportunities was getting a third Hellboy film from Del Toro. Not a massive fan of the second one, but the first is one of my most watched films. I saw that thing on TV constantly as a kid, and always dropped everything to enjoy it.
    One of the biggest missed opportunities was getting a third Hellboy film from Del Toro. Not a massive fan of the second one, but the first is one of my most watched films. I saw that thing on TV constantly as a kid, and always dropped everything to enjoy it.

I have both films on Bluray it's a shame the trilogy was not completed, Hellboy 2 had its moments though did not work as well as Hellboy. Having started watching Stranger Things it's convinced me Arbour could do a good job so will be opened minded with the new film.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Just rewatched Nikita and I dare say I’m still a big fan of it.

Amazing Eric Serra score too.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I never saw The Dark Knight Rises before now, I got the blu ray because of all the talk on here and just watched it... big fan of BB, not so much of TDK, but I have to say TDKR is a F****ng MASTERPIECE!!!! I will be reeling for days. Many tissues have been destroyed. OMFG.
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid in my top three Steve Martin films, the film is genius incorporating what it does. Reiner and Martin made great films together, Rachel Ward is breathtaking.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid in my top three Steve Martin films, the film is genius incorporating what it does. Reiner and Martin made great films together, Rachel Ward is breathtaking.

Love that film! 'CLEANING WOMAN?!'

Making Burt Lancaster his world famous cup of joe is a classic. Film noir is a real love of mine so this film tickles my fancy!

Love that film! 'CLEANING WOMAN?!'

Making Burt Lancaster his world famous cup of joe is a classic. Film noir is a real love of mine so this film tickles my fancy!

Great film is that Lancaster in The Killers, me too have many film noir films on dvd not watched many of them for years. I would not drink that Java lol
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Addams Family 1991
    Great movie and excellent cast. I really loved it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Would you guys believe me if I told you I have that Steve Martin movie for quite sometime now and still haven't seen it?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Kick back and watch it. It's a fun film and if you like film noir and bogart detective films then this will be a delight.
    Would you guys believe me if I told you I have that Steve Martin movie for quite sometime now and still haven't seen it?

You need to watch it mate its brilliant.