Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Artemis81
    Sorry about that. I must have been reading too quickly. ;-)
    OUR RELATIONS (1936)
    s-l300.jpg

Very amusing mix-up comedy. When I was a kid, they showed Laurel and Hardy both on tv and in the cinema all the time. What happened?

Abbott and costello and the 3 stooges are classics too. They don't show them anymore as well.
    SORCEROR (1977)
    I was dubious director William Friedkin could do justice to a remake of The Wages of Fear. But this is a superb film! A gruelling, harrowing thriller! The first half introduces us to the four characters who for different reasons end up in desperate circumstances in South America and end up driving two trucks with nitro on board on a treacherous journey to put out an oil fire! Friedkins direction is first rate and the cast exemplary! Great set pieces and stunningly shot with a couple of real shocks along the way. An excellent film. Will watch it again soon! Recommended!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just got my BD of it in the post. Soon, baby.

I am so glad the man won. I hope he wins Best Director at the Academy Awards as well. This speech is wonderful.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    SORCEROR (1977)
    I was dubious director William Friedkin could do justice to a remake of The Wages of Fear. But this is a superb film! A gruelling, harrowing thriller! The first half introduces us to the four characters who for different reasons end up in desperate circumstances in South America and end up driving two trucks with nitro on board on a treacherous journey to put out an oil fire! Friedkins direction is first rate and the cast exemplary! Great set pieces and stunningly shot with a couple of real shocks along the way. An excellent film. Will watch it again soon! Recommended!

Glad you enjoyed it it is a gripping film I am going to rewatch it tomorrow, to say the jungle is vivid is a understatement there are some eye popping scenes and all done for real.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Jack Reacher Never Go Back I really enjoyed the first film though because of mixed reviews I was not in a rush to watch the sequel, in fact I bought it several months ago and only just removed the cellophane today. Unfortunately a decent cast is let down by unimaginative direction and a muddled script. This is not one of Tom's best in fact he sleep walks through most of the film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Glad to have read your post, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Like yourself, I haven't yet been in any particular hurry to watch the sequel to a film I already wasn't too big a fan of. I like Tom Cruise as an actor but the Jack Reacher thing just doesn't thrill me. Now I'm even less concerned with the sequel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    maxresdefault.jpg
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Glad to have read your post, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Like yourself, I haven't yet been in any particular hurry to watch the sequel to a film I already wasn't too big a fan of. I like Tom Cruise as an actor but the Jack Reacher thing just doesn't thrill me. Now I'm even less concerned with the sequel.

It's a shame the film should have been better, Tom and Coble Smoulders deserved better, there was potential in the story to be more than generic. I have not read the books, though I would assume the source material is better than the film.

It's a shame the film should have been better, Tom and Coble Smoulders deserved better, there was potential in the story to be more than generic. I have not read the books, though I would assume the source material is better than the film.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is on my list of movies to watch, but I haven't got around to buying it yet. Mixed reviews is the main reason here, as well. The book is sitting unread in my bookshelf; might read it before getting the film.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is on my list of movies to watch, but I haven't got around to buying it yet. Mixed reviews is the main reason here, as well. The book is sitting unread in my bookshelf; might read it before getting the film.

The premise is decent it's just not executed very well, in fact the film drifts from its own plot and more than once characters argue to give exposition and remind the audience what's happening, never a good sign in writing.
    maxresdefault.jpg

I love DEATH WISH III. Right next to the first one as my favorite in the series. Reminds me I need to start re-collecting those. I only have DW IV.
  • How do you think the new Bruce Willis one will be?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Bruce Willis one looks like it will be pretty decent. I'm looking forward to it.
    I'm looking forward to the new one. I'm glad it's Bruce and not Stallone. I can remember talks about Stallone doing a remake about 10 years ago.
    Same here. Stallion would have been terrible.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The Commuter (2018)
    ObhoPLh.jpg

I had been very much looking forward to this Jaume Collet-Serra directed Liam Neeeson action thriller for some time. So I jumped at the chance to see it on opening night. Liam plays Michael MacCauley, an insurance salesman (and former cop) happily married with wife (played by Downton Abbey’s Elizabeth McGovern) and college age son. He resides in the 'burbs and travels to and from work in Manhattan daily by train from Grand Central Station, a trip he has been making for 10 or so years. During this time he has gotten to know quite a few of his fellow commuters (played by Jonathan Banks & Florence Pugh among others). One fateful day he is approached by beautiful enigmatic traveler Joanna (Vera Farmiga), who sits down next to him and offers up a financial opportunity he finds difficult to refuse. MacCauley is hard up for money and so the offer is enticing, even though it requires doing something unethical while on the train. Needless to say, things aren’t quite what they seem and before one knows it all mayhem has broken loose with MacCauley in a harried race against time to save his family, who are held captive as leverage by a mysterious & nefarious cabal. He attempts to get help from old cop friend Murphy (Patrick Wilson) while also trying to keep his old cop boss Hawthorne (Sam Neill), who he doesn’t trust, in the dark about the forces he’s up against.

I quite enjoyed this film. It’s standard Neeson fare and if one likes the Taken series or Non-Stop then one should appreciate this too. I’d say this one is more Non-Stop however, and perhaps it’s not quite up to the standards of the earlier film, which I recall being a superior production. There is quite a bit of ‘been there done that’ to the whole thing too. Nevertheless, Neeson is in fine form here, even if age seems to finally be catching up with him a bit. He's just so credible at playing the everyman caught up in extraordinary circumstances. Unfortunately the film criminally (and I'd say unforgivably) underutilizes its most famous and charismatic supporting stars (Farmiga, Neill & McGovern) in favour of the somewhat lackluster and unmemorable remaining cast members, who one really couldn’t care less about. Collet-Serra’s direction is top notch though, and his use of camera angles, lighting and pacing keeps the suspense levels up during the run time. He does the best with what he’s given. Ultimately, this is a film which will be best enjoyed by those who like seeing Neeson using his 'very particular set of skills' while making criminals pay for failing to realize that they should never threaten the family members of any characters he plays.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Glad to know you had fun watching the latest Liam Neeson action flick, @bondjames. I have 11 more days until I can witness Liam showcasing his very particular set of skills once again in this new film of his.
    @DaltonCraig007, once again these staggered global release dates confound me. It's so annoying, most notably for Bond. The Commuter is an intriguing suspense thriller and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as a long time Neeson fan, but I would caution you to temper expectations a bit because it's not quite as action packed as I expected.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Commuter (2018)
    ObhoPLh.jpg

I had been very much looking forward to this Jaume Collet-Serra directed Liam Neeeson action thriller for some time. So I jumped at the chance to see it on opening night. Liam plays Michael MacCauley, an insurance salesman (and former cop) happily married with wife (played by Downton Abbey’s Elizabeth McGovern) and college age son. He resides in the 'burbs and travels to and from work in Manhattan daily by train from Grand Central Station, a trip he has been making for 10 or so years. During this time he has gotten to know quite a few of his fellow commuters (played by Jonathan Banks & Florence Pugh among others). One fateful day he is approached by beautiful enigmatic traveler Joanna (Vera Farmiga), who sits down next to him and offers up a financial opportunity he finds difficult to refuse. MacCauley is hard up for money and so the offer is enticing, even though it requires doing something unethical while on the train. Needless to say, things aren’t quite what they seem and before one knows it all mayhem has broken loose with MacCauley in a harried race against time to save his family, who are held captive as leverage by a mysterious & nefarious cabal. He attempts to get help from old cop friend Murphy (Patrick Wilson) while also trying to keep his old cop boss Hawthorne (Sam Neill), who he doesn’t trust, in the dark about the forces he’s up against.

I quite enjoyed this film. It’s standard Neeson fare and if one likes the Taken series or Non-Stop then one should appreciate this too. I’d say this one is more Non-Stop however, and perhaps it’s not quite up to the standards of the earlier film, which I recall being a superior production. There is quite a bit of ‘been there done that’ to the whole thing too. Nevertheless, Neeson is in fine form here, even if age seems to finally be catching up with him a bit. He's just so credible at playing the everyman caught up in extraordinary circumstances. Unfortunately the film criminally (and I'd say unforgivably) underutilizes its most famous and charismatic supporting stars (Farmiga, Neill & McGovern) in favour of the somewhat lackluster and unmemorable remaining cast members, who one really couldn’t care less about. Collet-Serra’s direction is top notch though, and his use of camera angles, lighting and pacing keeps the suspense levels up during the run time. He does the best with what he’s given. Ultimately, this is a film which will be best enjoyed by those who like seeing Neeson using his 'very particular set of skills' while making criminals pay for failing to realize that they should never threaten the family members of any characters he plays.
    I had a blast with Non-Stop, but I hope the villain's motivation in The Commuter is better thought out.
    @mattjoes, I have a feeling the film will disappoint you in this respect. To be honest, I'm having a hard time even remembering what that was, so it certainly wasn't well explained.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,496
    Return of the Jedi Watching the Bluray on my 4K player exposes way too many problems with this film, it's shifts from looking cinematic to TV movie standard with some regularity, it's obvious different film was used in certain scenes and it obvious two directors were involved. When this film is good it's great, when it's poor it's awful at times. The first two films of the original trilogy are far superior.

The last hour is awesome
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Return of the Jedi Watching the Bluray on my 4K player exposes way too many problems with this film, it's shifts from looking cinematic to TV movie standard with some regularity, it's obvious different film was used in certain scenes and it obvious two directors were involved. When this film is good it's great, when it's poor it's awful at times. The first two films of the original trilogy are far superior.

The last hour is awesome

The last hour is so awesome it that it makes me forget Bobba Fett's crappy demise.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,496
    chrisisall wrote: »

The last hour is awesome

The last hour is so awesome it that it makes me forget Bobba Fett's crappy demise.

Agree it's the first time I have watched the entire film in a while I usually just watch the last hour.

Watching Star Trek The Motion Picture Kirk space dock scene, I love this film.

Had chills in certain scenes upscaled to 4K this looks phenomenal, good God this is amazing, world class director.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 17,326

The premise is decent it's just not executed very well, in fact the film drifts from its own plot and more than once characters argue to give exposition and remind the audience what's happening, never a good sign in writing.

That don't sound good. Shame really, as the books should be translatable to the movie format.

Had chills in certain scenes upscaled to 4K this looks phenomenal, good God this is amazing, world class director.
    I think that's the best Star Trek film personally. It's another one of these films I couldn't stand as a kid (Wrath of Khan was my favourite) but which I have done a complete 360 on. Goldsmith's score is masterclass.
    bondjames wrote: »

I think that's the best Star Trek film personally. It's another one of these films I couldn't stand as a kid (Wrath of Khan was my favourite) but which I have done a complete 360 on. Goldsmith's score is masterclass.

The score is fantastic, on that viewing the sets and even the uniforms visually popped a great deal more. Star Trek The Motion Picture looked so dull on VHS and DVD, I really hope this film gets the full 4K upscale.

More brilliance! I haven t seen this since I was a little kid. These men make me laugh out loud. Notice that Hitler wasn t the only one to sport a mustache like that.
    Taken

And we start off our sort of Liam Neeson film retrospective series (focusing on his action films EXCEPT for The Grey as well it's horrible) with Taken, What do I say about this fun little action film except it's brilliant Pierre Morrel should do a bond film if there is any justice in this world the Action the excitement all very good stuff if you ask me High Marks

Films I have seen in 2018
    1. Taken
    2. Before Sunrise
    3. Before Midnight
    4. Before Sunset

Before series
    1. Before Sunrise
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Before Sunset

Taken Series

1. Taken

Liam Neeson (sort of) retrospective series