Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I too saw that as a kid, and thought it was hilarious.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Outlaw: Goro the Assassin (1968) dir. Keiichi Ozawa. [blu-ray Arrow Video Outlaw: Gangster VIP boxset]
    4th in the Outlaw: Gangster VIP series. Still trying to live a straight life when Goro gets out of prison he seeks out the sister of an inmate who died in prison. Seeking out the sister, Goro finds work in a hotel and things seem to be going okay…
    Another great, action-packed entry in the Outlaw series. To think that Nikkatsu released six films in this series between May '68 and March '69 is incredible.
    This..
    And I enjoyed it much much more than when I first saw it back in 2013,when I wasn't in a good place in my life.
    That obviously affected the first viewing :

810gFGB97FL._SL1500_.jpg
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Audrey Tautou plays a rather strange young lady living in Paris who decides to make it her destiny to (secretly) help as many people as possible achieve their dreams or reach their destinies.

Quirky and charming in a way only the French seem to manage, and at times positively hilarious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZf0bWJFYOcjyXkeY3kP-QUNNkk-_vR6zYRiKNOf83PxRCybU1
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @barryt007
    Glad you enjoyed the film this time. I think it's a great little flick.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @barryt007
    Glad you enjoyed the film this time. I think it's a great little flick.

I did indeed.

It was also interesting to see 2 former Bond candidates in the film as well,in Dominic Cooper and Rufus Sewell.
    Highlander - this is the jubileum version on Bluray with a great set of German made Making of Highlander documentaries even if the music of Highlander gets approximately two minutes of time even if that was one of the major assets of this movie.

This original Highlander movie is in my humble opinion one of the better fantasy movies, made on a budget of approx 12 million dollars. There is no CGI yet and thus we get brilliant sets, the Highlander scene transitions are the originals. The action scenes are brilliant bar none, the music could never be anything less than spectacular (EON should have done a movie with them at the music steering wheel, would have been amazing) the actors well cast and an really evil baddie.

I saw it originally in the cinema release and it has lost nothing of its sparkle in all those years. Still brilliant fun to watch.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Highlander - this is the jubileum version on Bluray with a great set of German made Making of Highlander documentaries even if the music of Highlander gets approximately two minutes of time even if that was one of the major assets of this movie.

This original Highlander movie is in my humble opinion one of the better fantasy movies, made on a budget of approx 12 million dollars. There is no CGI yet and thus we get brilliant sets, the Highlander scene transitions are the originals. The action scenes are brilliant bar none, the music could never be anything less than spectacular (EON should have done a movie with them at the music steering wheel, would have been amazing) the actors well cast and an really evil baddie.

I saw it originally in the cinema release and it has lost nothing of its sparkle in all those years. Still brilliant fun to watch.

Loved it when i saw it in the cinema.
    Bought the bluray when it came out. Couldnt give it away quick enough! Hated it!
    Still love the movie, it is such an original movie with so much fun. Not unlike the original Crow movie that is superiour to many Comic book movies.
    I'm with @SaintMark on this. Highlander remains a jewel of 80s cinema. The score alone grabs me every time. It's an imperfect fantasy story, but executed so deliciously well by all involved, it's rewarding to watch and rewatch it.
    Apart from Sean dying yet again in another film...he did like to pop off in his films !!
    Sean is great in this one. When he fights the Kurgan, his comments are entertainingly sarcastic and yet there's something sad in him too, as he seems to be knowing very well this is a lost battle.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,692
    24hours_live.jpg?w=700

24 Hours to Live (2017)

Another hitman-themed movie from the producers of John Wick/John Wick: Chapter 2/Atomic Blonde, this team featuring Ethan Hawke has a professional killer sent on a job to South Africa, gets shot & killed, and is resuscitated via his mysterious company's medical assistance - the 'catch' being he can only be maintained alive for 24 hours before dying again, this time for good. This was a straight to VOD release in North America, but it has been given a wide theatrical release in my country. Ethan Hawke bring his charisma and total badassery as Travis Conrad, and the action set-pieces are once again very entertaining and highly thrilling. Hawke's body count is sky high, and he has a lot of very brutal kills during gripping fist fights & shootouts. The film is shot on location in South Africa, and reminded me of Safe House, which made me thing that Hawke has learned a lot from Denzel Washington while making 'Training Day'. If you want 90 minutes of pure action spectacle, I very much recommend this film to see Ethan Hawke tear his way through an entire army of goons.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm with @SaintMark on this. Highlander remains a jewel of 80s cinema. The score alone grabs me every time. It's an imperfect fantasy story, but executed so deliciously well by all involved, it's rewarding to watch and rewatch it.
    I love everything about it except that dreadful Queen soundtrack.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gerard wrote: »
    I thought it would be good to revisit the world's of Hayao Miyazaki, so I put Nausicaa in the Valley of the Winds in the DVD player, and didn't regret it. Beautiful!

That any Totoro are my favourite Miyazaki movies.
    GREAT GUNS (1941)
    great-guns-oliver-hardy-1941-tm--everett.jpg

Another film done in my laurelnhardathon. This isn t their best either, but there are some standout scenes, and several good quips as usual.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    I thought it would be good to revisit the world's of Hayao Miyazaki, so I put Nausicaa in the Valley of the Winds in the DVD player, and didn't regret it. Beautiful!

That any Totoro are my favourite Miyazaki movies.

My favorites are Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Castle of Cagliostro. All of his stuff is really good though.
    SaintMark wrote: »

Love it. The church scene is great.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    This..
    And I enjoyed it much much more than when I first saw it back in 2013,when I wasn't in a good place in my life.
    That obviously affected the first viewing :

810gFGB97FL._SL1500_.jpg

Saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter at the cinema back in 2012. Not expecting anything, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Funny movie, really.
    It was a great one!
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Late Shift

I put this here, because even it having choises and some different scenarios and seven different endings, it still is a movie.

So I watched two different versions of this (interactive) movie. The first one had a good ending and in the next one pretty much had all going down the shitter.

For anyone interested, Late Shift is being sold as a game. But it's really a crime film where you have some choises to alter the movie.

Compared to this, Telltales makes true video games :)
    Having a very hard time deciding on what my #1 film of 2017 was. Right now, it's probably a three-way tie between It, Blade Runner 2049, and The Shape of Water. Lots of honorable mentions though: Get Out, Baby Driver, Coco, Dunkirk, etc. Last Jedi was decent too. I still have several to see, like: Lady Bird, Call Me By Your Name, Phantom Thread, The Post, The Florida Project, Logan, Wonder Woman, Thor Ragnarok. Man what an epic year of movies it has been. The best in a long time I think.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The best year in film since 2006 which was another banger
    The best year in film since 2006 which was another banger

Probably. It was just awesome and felt like a return to form for movies again. 2018 though... seems kind of bare.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Avengers Assemble still my third favourite Marvel Disney film, I find alot of the films in the MCU a chore to watch as the rewatchability factor is low for me despite owning them all, though the first Avengers film is a good one.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Avengers Assemble still my third favourite Marvel Disney film, I find alot of the films in the MCU a chore to watch as the rewatchability factor is low for me despite owning them all, though the first Avengers film is a good one.
    It's a favourite of mine as well. Great villain, and the CGI isn't as offensive as in Ultron.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's a favourite of mine as well. Great villain, and the CGI isn't as offensive as in Ultron.

It's got a tight script also it's alot of fun, less is often more when it comes to Cgi.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883

It's got a tight script also it's alot of fun, less is often more when it comes to Cgi.
    I agree. I love everything about it until the Chitauri arrive. From then on it's one big battlefest, but is still done well. I once saw both back-to-back and the decline in quality of the effects in the 2nd one was quite noticeable. I think they pulled out all the stops for the first Avengers film because it was such an event thing for the MCU. It had to succeed because everything was building up to it. In a way, the same thing applies to the upcoming Infinity War, which I'm pretty excited for.

I agree. I love everything about it until the Chitauri arrive. From then on it's one big battlefest, but is still done well. I once saw both back-to-back and the decline in quality of the effects in the 2nd one was quite noticeable. I think they pulled out all the stops for the first Avengers film because it was such an event thing for the MCU. It had to succeed because everything was building up to it. In a way, the same thing applies to the upcoming Infinity War, which I'm pretty excited for.

The pace of the first film is good, all of phase one I watched at the cinema, midway through phase two I lost a bit of interest and started waiting for Bluray releases. Infinity War I will make an effort for as it's the culmination of everything, plus the cast alone should have some great dynamics.
    Logan (2017). Definitely earns a spot as one of the best comic book films. I haven’t watched a lot of X-Men (not my cup of tea honestly for the most part), but this was my favorite thing I’ve seen from it. Man 2017 had so many good movies.