Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,665
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Double post
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Unknown-1.jpg

Arrived this morning and it feels quite different though still great, the added scenes are seamless it feels even more epic now.

Edited:

@chrisisall have you watched this yet, it's a surreal experience.

No, mine arrives tomorrow! I actually own this already taped on VHS off the ABC broadcasts... crappy non-widscreen complete with fades & jagged edits due to commercials... Seeing this in pristine condition will be a near religious experience for me! ;)

The TV version with the pan scans of old I remember them lol the different music cues are great the Krypton scenes were intense. My BD was supposed to arrive on 24th pleasant surprise it was here today.

The *best* part about this longer version is....
    Back in 1978 seeing Superman: The Movie first time in the theatre one thing perplexed me- after Miss Teschmacher took the Kryptonite chain off Supes and he headed out west to get the missile coming to Hackensack all of a sudden he's following it east! That's because the scene where he tried to catch it head on and the B-2 low level avoidance system fooled him was left out (presumably because Donner felt the effects there were not up to par- I though it was great). This is now the ONLY official version of the film that includes it.

I am shocked how good some of the extended scenes are, watching it for the second time now there are some awesome editional moments. The weakest part of the movie is far better in this version, when Lex and Co are reprogramming the missiles I was in hysterics with the additional dialog. Otis has some great lines throughout... Otis 'I am a myth' :)) I can't believe I am watching this, kudos to WB

It's difficult to argue there are too many great moments, now it will not seem right watching the other two versions.
    Agreed. THIS will become the Ultimate Superman version despite minor digital colour corrections to the blue in his suit during a couple of FX shots in the Special Edition.
    Unknown-1.jpg

Arrived this morning and it feels quite different though still great, the added scenes are seamless it feels even more epic now.

Edited:

No, mine arrives tomorrow! I actually own this already taped on VHS off the ABC broadcasts... crappy non-widscreen complete with fades & jagged edits due to commercials... Seeing this in pristine condition will be a near religious experience for me! ;)

The TV version with the pan scans of old I remember them lol the different music cues are great the Krypton scenes were intense. My BD was supposed to arrive on 24th pleasant surprise it was here today.

Back in 1978 seeing Superman: The Movie first time in the theatre one thing perplexed me- after Miss Teschmacher took the Kryptonite chain off Supes and he headed out west to get the missile coming to Hackensack all of a sudden he's following it east! That's because the scene where he tried to catch it head on and the B-2 low level avoidance system fooled him was left out (presumably because Donner felt the effects there were not up to par- I though it was great). This is now the ONLY official version of the film that includes it.

I am shocked how good some of the extended scenes are, watching it for the second time now there are some awesome editional moments. The weakest part of the movie is far better in this version, when Lex and Co are reprogramming the missiles I was in hysterics with the additional dialog. Otis has some great lines throughout... Otis 'I am a myth' :)) I can't believe I am watching this, kudos to WB

It's difficult to argue there are too many great moments, now it will not seem right watching the other two versions.
    Agreed. THIS will become the Ultimate Superman version despite minor digital colour corrections to the blue in his suit during a couple of FX shots in the Special Edition.
    I would have omitted the Hollywood sign scene that defied physics lol, there are so many great shots of Supes, the new shot after Superman has just saved Lois/helicopter should never have been cut.
    Unknown-1.jpg

Edited:

I would have omitted the Hollywood sign scene that defied physics lol, there are so many great shots of Supes, the new shot after Superman has just saved Lois/helicopter should never have been cut.

Yep!
    Runnin' Down a Dream, Peter Bogdanovich, 2007.

Great to sit down and watch this 4 hour (!) documentary on Netflix. I followed Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers from the seventies through all the following phases. They tell their own story, including Tom's important refusals to back down from the record companies on song rights and record prices. He changed the business. The best part of this film is the fact it's more likely to present a full song than merely sample it, therefore the epic length.

For me it slipped by quickly. Very nice.
    @RichardTheBruce Have been meaning to give this a full watch, but the run time put me off a little. Glad to hear it went by quickly, and better that the full songs are part of the reason for this. I will definitely check this out in full soon.

Had no idea it was directed by Peter Bogdanovich!
    Just got it! Three hours and eight minutes of cinematic bliss later tonight!
    aLyu00C.jpg
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Contamination (1980) dir. Luigi Cozzi (aka Lewis Coates). Blu-ray. Italian sci-fi/horror that for some reason was caught up in the video nasty debacle of the early-mid 80s. It is now available as a 15 cert un-cut! How times change.
    An okay film, being a low-budget Italian genre film you know what you're in for. Starring Ian (Zombie Flesh Eaters) McCulloch and some pulsing green eggs which explode spraying those nearby with gloop which leads to the victim exploding, cue plenty blood and guts! Another great Arrow Video release with plenty of extras.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Lancaster007
    Can you recommend the film to me, who is rather into giallo's and splatter from the 70s and 80s, including the works of Bava, Fulci and Argento, or am I way off from Contamination with these names?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Had a recent double bill of the John Wick films on 4K - beyond beautiful at this quality, and the audio really pops, as does all the lighting and color throughout (mainly in the nightclub scene from the first and the coronation scene/finale of the second).
    Just got it! Three hours and eight minutes of cinematic bliss later tonight!
    aLyu00C.jpg

Enjoy WB have done a great job
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The Snowman (2017)
    7DLfABS.jpg
    Based on a bestselling novel by Jo Nesbo and directed by Tomas Alfredson (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), this Michael Fassbender/Rebecca Ferguson starring Nordic thriller has been brutally savaged by critics (currently 8% on RT). It's not faring much better with audiences either (22% RT). Are they correct? Well, partially. This is no The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo certainly. It's too leisurely paced for that. It's closer to this year's Wind River, but without the smarts of that film. Fassbender plays Harry Hole, an apparently ace detective with an alcohol problem. Ferguson is Katherine Bratt, a new cop recruit who looks up to Harry. The two are tasked with hunting down a serial killer who goes on his spree as soon as the first snowfall of winter occurs.

The performances really aren't too bad. Both Fassbender and Ferguson are highly watchable, with the former in particular continuing to demonstrate to this viewer with every film that it's a darn shame he is not wearing the Walther PPK at this moment. There is a terrific ensemble cast too, including an almost unrecognizable Val Kilmer, J.K. Simpson, Chloe Sevigny, Toby Jones and Charlotte Gainsbourg. Somehow though, despite all this high priced talent, the film falls flat. The narrative is a bit disjointed and unengaging and there are too many red herrings and detours that make little sense. When the payoff finally comes in the end, one really finds it difficult to care due to the poorly constructed flow. The film has great atmosphere and cinematography by Dion Beebe (Collateral, Miami Vice, Nine etc.) though and the score by veteran composer Marco Beltrami is quite suspenseful. It's not as bad as the critics will have you believe, but it's not especially memorable or thrilling either. A missed opportunity.
    Superman: The Movie Extended Cut.... OMFG THIS is why no superhero film will EVER be as good. Ever.
    Geostorm (2017)
    l3JW05n.jpg
    I blasted this film on the Chat Free Discussion thread in advance of viewing it on account of the trailers, which showcased some rather horrendous CGI. I'm a stickler for this sort of thing and am sick and tired of seeing special effects crapfests in films (yes, including in the recently released and much lauded Wonder Woman). Therefore I approached this Gerard Butler vehicle with some trepidation. I'm happy to announce that I perhaps was a bit too harsh in my advance criticism. While the disgracefully offensive FX is certainly there, it only shows up sporadically (most of the worst scenes are actually in the trailer), and is to some extent secondary to the narrative.

In fact, I believe that this film has been wrongly marketed as an all out disaster film. While there is indeed the threat of a major climate wipeout, it's not what you might expect. This is more of a disaster whodunnit thriller. In terms of tone, it's more of a throwback to 90's kick 'a' epics like Independence Day and Armageddon. You know, Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich type s***. In fact, at times I thought I was watching something helmed by those two, rather than the much less well known Dean Devlin (Who? Well, he's the chap who directed Independence Day 2, another flop. Go figure). Really to enjoy this film one has to check one's brain at the ticket counter and go in expecting some cheap thrills. It delivers on that front, and also provides an opportunity for beefcake Butler to showcase his ability to save the world (in addition to presidents, which he has done in the past as well). The film has a pretty good supporting cast including the always reliable Abbie Cornish, Andy Garcia, Ed Harris, Alexandra Maria Lara and Jim Sturgess and they help to keep it interesting. It's really not as bad as I thought it would be, although I'm quite hesitant to give it a recommendation. I actually enjoyed it more than I did The Snowman. There is a bit at the end which reminded me of MR as well.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    you're braver than I @bondjames -- I wait for these types of films to hit Netflix.
    @peter I have to get a Netflix subscription soon. It's the way to go. I agree with you and I normally wait to pick these kind of flicks up at the bargain bin in the grocery store, but given this had been savaged and box office has been brutal this year, I thought I'd do my part and check it out. Truth be told Abbie Cornish and Ed Harris were draws too.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ed Harris, @bondjames has always been a favorite-- everything from GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS, to his directorial effort, POLLOCK, to THE ROCK... it doesn't matter what he's in...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The prices in the UK I could never watch sub standard films at the cinema, I probably go about around 4 - 5 times a year now.

I've got to want to see the film and it has to merit the big screen treatment for me to go.
    Lucky Logan I could have waited for but we were going with friends and we wanted a fun film but if I hadn't of caught Baby Driver, Dunkirk or BR 2049 at the cinema I would have been gutted.

Missed out on Sicario and regret that.

As for the Snowman, seeing it was Alfredson and I adore TTSS and think Let The Right One is brilliant I was on board but then the prolonged shoot, the reshoots I knew something stank, plus the late embargo.

I have to check reviews personally and as soon as I saw the pasting this got I knew I wouldn't waste the price of a cinema ticket on it.

Seeing what people go and see in the U.S at the cinema on this forum I can deem from that either it's dirt cheap or some of you have money to burn.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    2010 the year we make contact
    So I watched 2001 and I wasn’t a fan. I really liked the production and I thought the themes were really cool and I can see why it is a landmark of cinema ( unlike citizen Kane) however I found it too drawn out and boring with too little answers and scenes that just dragged on for no reason. So I was told to watch 2010, perhaps I would like it more. That is not true. This film is so awful, so atrociously bad, that it retroactively makes 2001 a better film in my mind, which is weird to think about. I found it underwhelming , with bad dialogue, boring scenes, an unintelligent story, and purposelessness. However it does make me want to revisit the classic and re-review it.
    2/10
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Lancaster007
    Can you recommend the film to me, who is rather into giallo's and splatter from the 70s and 80s, including the works of Bava, Fulci and Argento, or am I way off from Contamination with these names?

I'd say Fulci and definitely Argento are way better directors than Luigi Cozzi (nice man though he may be), for Fulci it has to be Zombie Flesh Eaters, which is just a great zombie film and was hacked to pieces during the 'Video Nasty' debacle. Also try The Beyond and one I've not seen but is meant to be very good is Never Torture A Duckling; Argento is another thing altogether, most famous for giallo films, my favourites are: Phenomena (actually a trippy horror film), Bird With the Crystal Plumage and his best (IMO), Deep Red (1975) which is a blast and from 1982 the brilliant Tenebrae. Check out also Susperia (1977) which I saw so long ago I can't remember much about…other than it's 'out there'.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    @Lancaster007

I'd say Fulci and definitely Argento are way better directors than Luigi Cozzi (nice man though he may be), for Fulci it has to be Zombie Flesh Eaters, which is just a great zombie film and was hacked to pieces during the 'Video Nasty' debacle. Also try The Beyond and one I've not seen but is meant to be very good is Never Torture A Duckling; Argento is another thing altogether, most famous for giallo films, my favourites are: Phenomena (actually a trippy horror film), Bird With the Crystal Plumage and his best (IMO), Deep Red (1975) which is a blast and from 1982 the brilliant Tenebrae. Check out also Susperia (1977) which I saw so long ago I can't remember much about…other than it's 'out there'.

Inferno is also a good Argento film, and also quite 'out there!'
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,695
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)

Really, really enjoyed this film. Tons of badass action scenes mixed with a lot of humour and highly charismatic performances - Taron Egerton, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Jeff Bridges, Halle Berry, Channing Tattum, Julianne Moore and Pedro Pascal (even if a couple of these actors were underused) - with a killer soundtrack to top it off. And not forgetting Matthew Vaughn's very dynamic and cool directing style. This is a really fun way to spend 140 minutes of your time, and I can't wait to own it on Blu Ray to double bill it with the 1st Kingsman film.

Detroit (2017)

In terms of intense true story thrillers, Katheryn Bigelow is the best in the business. I already loved K:19 (the submarine film with Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford), The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, so I knew going into this film that I would most likely really enjoy this. And, I wasn't wrong: this is another 2.5 hours of pure, intense thriller/political film, that hits all the right marks from what I expect from the genre (the pulsating 20/30 minutes to set the plot/characters/event really sunk me right in my seat due to the sheer tension that was unfolding). And of course, another stellar cast with incredible performances from John Boyega, Will Poulter, Anthony Mackie, Jacob Latimore and a whole lot of other young actors). Outside of action films, true-story thrillers are probably my favorite film genre, so I was very happy today to see a big poster for Mark Felt in my cinema lobby - the film comes out in my country next week, so I will definitely go see it).

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

This is probably the most flat-out entertaining film from Marvel. 2 hours of of non-stop thrill ride with highly epic action scenes, laugh-a-minute humour, a killer soundtrack, and hugely charismatic performances - Chris Hemsworth has never been better outside of 2013's Formula 1 film Rush, he just owned the screen, Mark Ruffallo light up the screen once he appears, Jeff Goldblum had me in stitches in every scene he was in, Thessa Thompson was awesome, Tom Hiddleston & Idris Elba extremely badass as always, Anthony Hopkins provided most of the serious scenes in the film, but the real star (for me) was Cate Blanchett, what an awesome villainess she played, it was a pure delight seeing her on screen. I think I prefer this 3rd Thor film to both Guardians of the Galaxy outings.

Also, a very weird cameo from
    Matt Damon had me burst out laughing.

My next trips to the cinema will be Logan Lucky tomorrow, Mark Felt next week, and The Foreigner & You Were Never Really There (the revenge flick that got Joaquin Phoenix the prize for Best Actor in Cannes earlier this year) in 2 weeks. And then Justice League on November 15th.
    Excellent reviews @DaltonCraig007. You've got me extremely excited for Ragnarok. I could tell they'd nailed the humour and there's no doubt that cast is as super cool as you could get. The next week waiting for it is going to be torture.

PS: I hope it's a massive success and starts a trend towards lighter hearted fare after a decade plus of somberness in the blockbuster realm.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,695
    @bondjames for Goldblum and Blanchett alone, I'm pretty sure you really enjoy it. Jeff Goldblum's best performance as Jeff Goldblum.
    Goldblum, Blanchett, Hiddleston, Elba, Ruffalo and a Hemsworth apparently really showing his comedy chops? @DaltonCraig007 it couldn't get any better, and that's even before Tessa Thompson and Hulk.
    @Lancaster007

Inferno is also a good Argento film, and also quite 'out there!'

Yes, I need to see it again, as I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Also like The Card Player with Liam Cunningham.
    Logan Lucky (2017)

What a blast this movie was. Soderbergh once again makes a very entertaining heist film, this time trading the suave Clooney/Pitt/Damon and co for some hilarious performances from Channing Tattum, Adam Driver and Daniel Craig - Craig in particular had me in stitches in each of his scenes. The movie went along at a fast pace, and even in the slower scenes where 'not much is happening', Soderbergh really has a distinctive style that kept my eyes glued to the screen. One scene in particular which mentions Game of Thrones made me laugh out loud. The ending calls for a sequel, I hope somehow they can make it happen - I'd love to see more of Daniel Craig as Joe Bang. I wouldn't put it to the level of 'Ocean's Eleven', but this was still a highly entertaining 2 hours, and Craig was worth the price of admission alone.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Curse Of Chucky (2013)
    After BRIDE and SEED, you would think the Child's Play series would have gotten a remake/reboot. It's kind of a half reboot, the series history is kept firmly in place, but the tone is taken all the way back to the original film, gone is the "Rubber? I'm all rubber" humour from the previous films. This is a horror film first, with only a sliver of humour running through it. Given how this went straight to DVD/BR, it has no right to be this good. Best scene has to be an Agatha Christie style dinner sequence, 6 characters sit down for a meal, with one serving having rat poison in it. It is agonising how the film draws the sequence out, keeping up guessing as to who the victim is.

Cult Of Chucky (2017)
    And here it is, the latest entry in the series, came out on DVD/BR this week in the UK. After the return to form of the last film, how does CURSE measure up? Well for starters, there is a little more humor than in CURSE, but it is still kept on a lease. When i think of the humour in this film, I think of the scene with Chucky and the middle-aged mental patient. Chuck only says a couple of sentences to her, and already he can't stand her any longer. I don't recall word for word, but he said something along the line of "Ok, i'm going to go and kill Nica, then i'm coming back for you." "Are you the crazy bitch I talked to on the phone last night?" was another good example. Fiona Dourf as Nica, is a fine example of a modern final girl, and going by where this film leads off, I am more than intrigued as to where the films are going.

As for the inevitable ranking:

1. Curse Of Chucky (2013)
    2. Cult Of Chucky (2017)
    3. Childs Play (1988)
    4. Childs Play 2 (1990)
    5. Childs Play 3 (1991)
    6. Bride Of Chucky (1998)
    7. Seed Of Chucky (2004)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    rumble-fish_1280x720.jpg
    Friday the 13th (2009)
    Serpico