Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    peter wrote: »
    GOLDFINGER... Apologies unnecessary... Holy crap, so iconic. Sexy. Need I say more??

I hear the Bond films are pretty good. I'll have to check them out one of these days.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The foreigner

Great action, even if there’s not enough
    Great story
    Great acting from brosnan and Chan.
    I cant think of any real cons.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cliff Martinez provides a lively score which matches the scenes and cinematographer David Tattersall (who did work on the Lucas prequels) captures London and Northern Ireland nicely.
    Not to mention DAD!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Just watched Baby Driver for the first time. I have to say: I was not impressed. Maybe my expectations were too high, but the film was simply too high octane for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Birdleson
    Thank you.
    I guess I mostly watched reruns of the show in the mid 80s and then "grew up" when Burton delivered his Batman. I spent my teenage years resenting the campy nonsense of the show, only partially enthusiastic about the live action films, and worshipping the animated Batman. In my twenties, I grew up once more, with Nolan's films, finding a more naturalistic approach and even tone. At the same time though, I began to go back to that campy Batman I once loved as a child, then hated as a cynical teenager. I started seeing the good things in it, the relevance and indeed the significance of the show in its days, and many of its unparalleled qualities. I guess the only logical conclusion is that while a child accepts the series by default, it's really us, adults, it's made for.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    TripAces wrote: »
    Just watched Baby Driver for the first time. I have to say: I was not impressed. Maybe my expectations were too high, but the film was simply too high octane for me.
    If I'm honest, it was nothing special, really. While I didn't find it overly high-octane, it certainly didn't live up to the promotion it was given and the critics flooding the reception with too many positive reviews you'd think the film was a messiah for car-related caper films. Other than the select catchy songs they picked for the soundtrack, the film was nothing special. Good, but not great. Nothing remotely close to the appraisal it got.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If I'm honest, it was nothing special, really. While I didn't find it overly high-octane, it certainly didn't live up to the promotion it was given and the critics flooding the reception with too many positive reviews you'd think the film was a messiah for car-related caper films. Other than the select catchy songs they picked for the soundtrack, the film was nothing special. Good, but not great. Nothing remotely close to the appraisal it got.
    Agreed. I really didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Not bad, that's it.
    Milovy wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cliff Martinez provides a lively score which matches the scenes and cinematographer David Tattersall (who did work on the Lucas prequels) captures London and Northern Ireland nicely.
    Not to mention DAD!
    I didn't know that. He's not bad at the job actually. Even DAD has it's moments.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Couldn't agree more. Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way, I genuinely believed I was the only one who saw it and wasn't impressed.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way, I genuinely believed I was the only one who saw it and wasn't impressed.
    It's sad really that they lowered the bar so much that if anything nowadays is slightly good, it's hailed as a masterpiece. Even the Marvel films that keep bringing yearly shedload of billions are nothing that I can define as masterpieces. A masterpiece would be a film you'd want to revisit every now and then. I've revisited very few amount of them that came out in the last 20 years.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Guardians Russia's attempt at the superhero genre, this film is all kinds of bad though I quite enjoyed it well I was bemused.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    VampiresKissCage_7005.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Alan Partridge Alpha Papa 2013

Not watched this since I bought it on Blu ray, it still stands up. Obviously not as funny as Knowing Me Knowing You and both I'm Alan Patridge series.

It bucks the trend of TV series making terrible big screen versions, Coogan is so adept at playing Alan now, can't wait for more Partridge this year and next.

Alpha Papa doesn't surrender the essense of the character and still feels part of the same universe, although managing to give it a big screen work over that doesn't do a disservice to the legacy of the character.

The fact Innauci attached himself to this and contributed to the script kind of gurantees it wouldn't be rubbish.

4/5
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales on Blu Ray:
    Best 'Pirates' movie since the first. I saw this in the theatre and love it even more now. If this is the last one, it ended on a particularly high note. Paul McCartney's cameo was great.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Blade Runner 2049

This is an excellent and beautifully made film. It emulates (very well I might add) the original Blade Runner's futurescape, but never surpasses Ridley's groundbreaking original vision. It doesn't have the surprise the original sprang on it's audience all those years ago and it doesn't have Roy Batty.

This is the sort of film cinema was made for. It looks incredible, and I can't remember the last time I was in awe of what I was seeing when watching a film. Being so sick of CGI heavy stuff lately this is such a different experience. As an audience Villeneuve lets us savour the incredible world he has created by keeping the shots long and allowing us to see the detail. Loved the score as well.

I liked the fact that 'K' was revealed early on as to who he was and Gosling is just brilliant. I also loved the character of Luv. With her offworldly looks and deadly force she is one of my favourite things in the film. The only weak spot in terms of actors was Jared Leto, who admittedly didn't have the best written part. Tyrell he was not.

I found the plot pretty cool, but a little contrived. At least it's a logical continuation of the original and not just a rehash.

Not sure if I missed something (I think another viewing is essential) but the LA Police department seemed to consist of Robin Wright, Ryan Gosling and a couple of officers.

And how can Wallace have the Chief of Police murdered with no comeback?

Looking forward to seeing it again, and will definitely be buying the BD. No doubt one of the best films of the year and one I think will reward multiple viewings.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People like Wallace are above the law.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Alan Partridge Alpha Papa 2013

Not watched this since I bought it on Blu ray, it still stands up. Obviously not as funny as Knowing Me Knowing You and both I'm Alan Patridge series.

It bucks the trend of TV series making terrible big screen versions, Coogan is so adept at playing Alan now, can't wait for more Partridge this year and next.

Alpha Papa doesn't surrender the essense of the character and still feels part of the same universe, although managing to give it a big screen work over that doesn't do a disservice to the legacy of the character.

The fact Innauci attached himself to this and contributed to the script kind of gurantees it wouldn't be rubbish.

4/5

Only seen this once, and really enjoyed it. As for the character of Partridge, I've only seen a few episodes here and there. Fun character!
    A Better Tomorrow (1986)
    Director: John Woo

terrible-content.jpg
    Lady in Cement (1968)
    Had to follow up Tony Rome (1967) with the sequel. As with TR, Lady in Cement is a stylish 60's crime film with some lighthearted moments throughout; A formula that works well. Sinatra plays his character effortlessly cool – as you would expect, and there are few surprises along the way. A good sequel nonetheless!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Mummy 2017 I enjoyed this film, I have watched the Universal Mummy films from Karloff to present day, Universal and Hammer horror. Mummy films are never going to be Lawerence of Arabia, Toms Mummy borrowed from Lifeforce and An American werewolf in London admittedly though I liked it.
    Wonder Woman My eyes well up everytime I watch this movie, one of the best in the genre.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wonder Woman My eyes well up everytime I watch this movie, one of the best in the genre.
    Same here! I'd call it a masterpiece on par with Donner's Superman.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    001 wrote: »
    A Better Tomorrow (1986)
    Director: John Woo

terrible-content.jpg

Really? I've not seen ABT, but have A Better Tomorrow 2 and had it on VHS for some years and absolutely loved it.
    Why, in your opinion, is ABT terrible?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    47 Meters Down
    -97286-poster-xlarge-resized.jpg

It's not good at all. The acting is bad, the CGI is bad, and the sharks are unrealistic. Do yourself a favor and pass on this one.

Batman and Harley Quinn
    batman_250x375_r3.jpg

This one was a pleasant surprise. It doesn't take itself too seriously and is actually pretty comedic but not in the 60's Batman kind of way, and certainly not what Batman and Robin was trying to be. The majority of the comedy falls on Harley Quinn, after her would probably be Nightwing. If you're a fan of the 90's Animated Series, you may find you like this one.

Batman: Gotham Knight
    Batman_Gotham_Knight.jpg

The worst animated Batman I've seen. Batman and anime don't go well together. I don't recommend it even to the biggest Batman fans.

Batman: Under the Red Hood
    1200x630bb.jpg

This one is one of my favorite animated Batman movies. My only complaint is the voice actor for the Joker didn't seem quite right but it doesn't ruin the movie for me.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Love Batman and Harley Quinn. It was a lighter version of The Animated Series with a humorous tone. Certainly not what Paul Dini would like, but everything was greatly executed in it. Am I the only one who actually loves the idea of Harley turning good?

And of course, Under The Redhood is almost a masterpiece.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Love Batman and Harley Quinn. It was a lighter version of The Animated Series with a humorous tone. Certainly not what Paul Dini would like, but everything was greatly executed in it. Am I the only one who actually loves the idea of Harley turning good?

I don't mind her turning good as long as she's chaotic good or even anti-hero like.

I don't mind her turning good as long as she's chaotic good or even anti-hero like.
    Same! But, still good at heart, willing to do good no matter what. That's what I liked about the new Harley.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

In fairness I haven't read the book, but I found this a bit of a disappointment. Some good imagery and special effects - as you would expect from a Tim Burton film - but otherwise quite forgettable.

I wasn't too fond of Asa Butterfield as the young central character Jake, and Eva Green's performance felt too theatrical. I did like the "Run Rabit Run" bombing sequence though.

Should have been subtitled "For Your Eyes Only" given both Green's and Dench's involvement. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,635
    Brawl in Cell Block 99

Whew, what a heavy hitting film that was. Vince Vaughn's latest was wildly entertaining, and almost had a grindhouse feel to the whole thing. It's a pretty straight forward-plot: Vaughn's character is tossed in jail and given an ultimatum to save his wife: get himself thrown into a maximum security prison, and kill a specific man on Cell Block 99. It's a bit of a slow burner at first, and can slow down here and there in between the fight scenes, but damn, does it really kick in when the fists start flying. There are countless moments that made me wince throughout from how brutal and gory it was. If you're looking for a slow burner with some brutal action throughout, I recommend it.
  • mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    1200x630bb.jpg

This one is one of my favorite animated Batman movies. My only complaint is the voice actor for the Joker didn't seem quite right but it doesn't ruin the movie for me.

I love the fact Black Mask cuts a "deal" with the Joker, and in his next scene he and his people are all trapped in a truck about to be burned alive. Gallows humor.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Atomic Blonde
    Finally got around to seeing this one and boy was it great. I want this to definitely become a franchise. Cant wait to get it on blu ray.
    8/10

And don’t get me started on that action sequence in the stairwell....