Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Wild Geese Good fun this film is alot grittier and hard edged than I remember, Sir Roger is in familiar company with Syd Cain, Maurice Binder and John Glen working on this film. Good HD transfer of the film and I love the Arrow Bluray menu its eye catching.

Is this an Arrow Video to recommend? Saw it many years ago, and can't remember if I liked it much!

It's a good film very much a seventys movie, if you are a fan of the actors involved you will like this they all put good performances in. The Bluray has a nice booklet and reversible cover like other releases, the extras are the World Premier and a commentary with Euan Lloyd, Roger Moore and John Glen.

Sounds like one for the collection then. Cheers.
    Tales_of_Halloween_Poster.jpg

Tales of Halloween (2016)

10 short stories,some hit the mark and some not,but great fun and very atmospheric for Halloween.
    I like the way all the stories are linked somehow,but subtle.

And Adrienne Barbeau doing her 'The Fog' radio show and linking all the stories was a brilliant touch.

A fun watch for me last night !!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Forgot just what an accomplished film this is. One of Polanski's best.

The way the film builds on the conspiracy behind Rosemary's pregnancy is terrifying and frustrating because we want people to believe and help this poor innocent woman.

Mia Farrow is outstanding in this. You really do get sucked in to her plight. I think she's in every scene in the film.

Cassavetes also excellent gives a really shifty and twitchy performance as probably the most despicable characters in cinema history.

Also quite true to the book by Ira Levin. Several of his books have been filmed, but I think this and THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL are the best.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2017 Posts: 8,127
    What do you guys make of the The Dark Knight Rises?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Great movie, although perhaps not quite up there with the first two.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Can’t stand either of the Nolan films, aside from Batman Begins, which to this day I still think it’s the best Batman film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Love it. I can't pick between the three. Critically speaking, I think BB is the best. TDK is all about dread and the joker and that makes it brilliant. However, TDKR is the one I revisit the most and that says something to me. It's all about completing Bat/Wayne's arc and Nolan handles it very well. I'm always uplifted at the end when he's at the Euro cafe with Selina because I buy into his arc. Kudos to Bale as well. Amazing actor, and it's a great loss (as far as I'm concerned) that the man was never Bond.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Rosemary's Baby (1968)

Forgot just what an accomplished film this is. One of Polanski's best.

The way the film builds on the conspiracy behind Rosemary's pregnancy is terrifying and frustrating because we want people to believe and help this poor innocent woman.

Mia Farrow is outstanding in this. You really do get sucked in to her plight. I think she's in every scene in the film.

Cassavetes also excellent gives a really shifty and twitchy performance as probably the most despicable characters in cinema history.

Also quite true to the book by Ira Levin. Several of his books have been filmed, but I think this and THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL are the best.

Apparently RB is very faithful to the novel. Alas I've never read it.

My favourite of the three films.

I think it's structured better than the other two and has a great story.

I find I watch TDKR a lot more than the other two.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Can’t stand either of the Nolan films, aside from Batman Begins, which to this day I still think it’s the best Batman film.

+ 1

Though I really prefer the two Tim Burton Batman movies.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    TDKR is probably the most watchable. I like how it brings together the character story of the first film and the action spectacle of the second and kind of blends them together.

However I think there were many missed opportunities.

I would have preferred it if the scenes in the prison were removed, and instead Bruce hands himself in to Bane. If Bane didn't know that Bruce and Batman are the same person, then it could be that Bane has a Beef with Bruce rather than the Batman. After all Bruce is Gotham's principle capitalist exploiter. I think Bane wants Bruce because he is a great orator and by humiliating the great Bruce Wayne he would shake people's faith in the system and strengthen his grip on the people.

This backfires, since, with the help of catwoman, Bruce breaks free, steals the trigger and escapes. Bruce returns to his Manor to find Alfred there. Even though he doesn't like it, he's still Bruce's butler goddammit. The two have a emotional chat while Bruce suits up for the final battle. Bruce doesn't know how to beat Bane, physically or with rhetoric. He has already lost in both arenas. Alfred explains that in order to hold off evil requires not the sacrifice of one man, but for everyone to do their part. The weight is suddenly relieve when he releases that he is not alone in the fight.

Gordon and Blake have been rounding up as many cops as they can to create a distraction while Gordon can locate the right truck. They create a procession in their cars and ride slowly down the main Street at night fall. Banes men appear from the alleys and surround the cars. The cops are outnumbered, when suddenly the Bat swoops by. The Bat proceeds to glide through the city, alerting the people locked in their houses that Batman is back. Suddenly there is hope, and people start to cheer and take action. Normal residents kiss their loved ones and take to streets. The Bat returns to the battle where things have really kicked off. Thousands of normal residents corner Banes men in the main two square and it's complete mayhem. Turns out though that the Bat wasn't driven by Batman but Catwoman. The real Batman swoops in and kicks Bane, sending him flying. There ensues a brawl, both are beaten badly. Batman wins but his mask is torn and Bane sees it is Bruce! The guy he really hates. That sends him into rage mode. He attacks Bruce again and almost knocks him out. That's what Catwoman arrives on the Bat bike and missiles Bane. She sees Bruce is badly injured, and both fly away on the Bat.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I’m not a huge fan of Batman begins or the dark knight rises, I think they are both average, but I love the dark knight.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I love the first two, but I don't really bother with this one much anymore. Plot holes galore (I've scarcely seen a film this huge make so little sense) and a running time that starts to overstay its welcome with how little seems to be going down at times.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2017 Posts: 15,691
    Geostorm (2017)

Absolutely ridiculous/nonsensical film, OTT to the extreme, but what a blast it was. I had read quite a few reactions/reviews online about the film, so I completely shut off my brain before the film started after the advertisements/trailers, so as the plot really doesn't matter to me in such flicks, and I got 100 minutes of pure, mindless, non-stop fun with this highly entertaining disaster flick. Gerard Butler, as always, just brings his charisma and likability to each of his roles, and much like his ongoing Olympus/London/Angel Has Fallen franchise, is just there to be super badass and cool - and that's all I ask for when seeing the latest Gerard Butler film (similarly to Jason Statham). There aren't that many destructions scenes (and some of the CGI is (quite) a bit dodgy), but the film fully embraces it's OTT-ness and gives an adrenaline-filled experience. I also really liked that 'Geostorm' didn't feature the usual awkward romance subplot or the embarrassing comic relief (looking at you, Independence Day: Resurgence), but instead adding more super-heroic stuff from Butler that reminded me of his recent roles - only in the sci-fi genre this time. The film moved at a very fast pace, so contrary to 'ID: Resurgence' I was fully entertained for the whole runtime. The film also features a pretty impressive cast - Ed Harris, Andy Garcia, Alexandra Maria Lara, Daniel Wu. I'll be buying this on Blu Ray so I can add it to my collection of ''Gerard Butler saves the President/World'' flicks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ID: R is easily one of the worst films I've endured in the last five years, so I'm happy to hear those same shoehorned characters and plot lines don't feature in this. Seems like a much more OTT Day After Tomorrow, could be fun if you're in just the right mood for a movie like that.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think I'll just buy it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,447
    Transformers Last Knight Very happy as these films are a guilty pleasure and to my surprise the Bluray edition I bought is almost entirely IMAX it looks stunning on my 4K TV.

P.S. This film is insane
    Spirited Away (2001) at the theater. One of my all-time favorites, and a real treat to enjoy at the theater. Very great movie.
    The Getaway (1972). I was struck by how contemporary it feels after 45 years. The way it's shot, the way it's edited, the music score, the sound design, the brutality on display... it almost could've been made today. The standouts of the cast are McQueen (ultra cool) Al Lettieri (ultra creepy). The score, with its dissonant harmonica, is quite distinctive.

That montage at the beginning is great, and the sound of the machine that is repeated throughout it adds a lot to it. Other highlights for me are the park scene, the train scene, the junkyard conversation and the final shootout. Also, the scenes with Slim Pickens as the cowboy come as a breath of fresh air after two bleak and intense hours.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The Getaway (1972). I was struck by how contemporary it feels after 45 years. The way it's shot, the way it's edited, the music score, the sound design, the brutality on display... it almost could've been made today. The standouts of the cast are McQueen (ultra cool) Al Lettieri (ultra creepy). The score, with its dissonant harmonica, is quite distinctive.

That montage at the beginning is great, and the sound of the machine that is repeated throughout it adds a lot to it. Other highlights for me are the park scene, the train scene, the junkyard conversation and the final shootout. Also, the scenes with Slim Pickens as the cowboy come as a breath of fresh air after two bleak and intense hours.

Need to see this again. Must have been 7-8 years since the last time.
    Taxi Driver (1976). I have seen this several times now, and it only gets better every time. A total masterpiece - just as good as it gets for movies.
    Big Trouble in Little China (1986). Absolutely hilarious. After immersing myself with more and more of his work, John Carpenter has definitely become one of my favorite directors.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Big Trouble in Little China (1986). Absolutely hilarious. After immersing myself with more and more of his work, John Carpenter has definitely become one of my favourite directors.

He was always a massive favourite of mine. His films got me interested in cinema.

He had such a cool body of work up to the late eighties.

I think he peaked with The Thing though. After that his work was never as innovative or interesting.

The last film I really liked of his was the underrated Prince Of Darkness but after that the quality of his films got less and less.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,276
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Big Trouble in Little China (1986). Absolutely hilarious. After immersing myself with more and more of his work, John Carpenter has definitely become one of my favourite directors.

He was always a massive favourite of mine. His films got me interested in cinema.

He had such a cool body of work up to the late eighties.

I think he peaked with The Thing though. After that his work was never as innovative or interesting.

The last film I really liked of his was the underrated Prince Of Darkness but after that the quality of his films got less and less.

I still have to see several more, but right now, I absolutely enjoyed: Halloween, Escape From New York, The Thing, Christine, Starman, Big Trouble in Little China, and They Live. Very good movies. I sort of liked The Fog too but not quite as much. I will have to get around to seeing more.
    You've seen a good number.

Also check out his two early low budget offerings, Dark Star (a very funny and imaginative science fiction comedy co-written with Dan O'Bannon the writer of ALIEN who also stars) and Assault On Precinct 13 (a tense and violent modern western with great dialogue)
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 5,823
    A double-bill : The Green Hornet and Fury of the Dragon, the two compilation movies Fox did in the 70s to capitalize on the bruce Lee mania. Alas, it's not really good. Scenes are cut from the episodes, other scenes are added where they don't belong (some even find their way from one movie to the other. So, in short, it makes me (and other fans of both Bruce Lee and the Green Hornet) that there isn't a real, legal DVD set of the original series (featuring also the two Batman episodes where the Hornet and Kato guest-starred). So, for fans only, until something better comes along.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Commando
    The action is good.... but this film is too dumb for its own good.
    4/10
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Commando
    The action is good.... but this film is too dumb for its own good.
    4/10
    80s for ya.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Moving this off the Halloween thread which is pretty much done now.

Horror of Dracula (1958). Basically a classic IMO. I love it.
    Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966). Nicely made, very atmospheric, but Lee plays it silently... still, I liked it.
    Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968). This one had me going, and the supporting cast was great. I liked it almost as much as the original!
    Taste the Blood Of Dracula (1970). Okay, this was nowhere near as good as I remembered. It starts off promising, but loses it in the last reel.
    I remember really disliking Scars of Dracula and Satanic Rites Of Dracula, and I don't own them anyway... no loss there.
    Next up: my goofy guilty pleasures- Dracula AD 1972 and Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,336
    Watched Stanley Kubricks 3 documentaries: Day of the Fight (1951), Flying Padre (1951), and The Seafarers (1953). Didn't care for any of them.

While the City Sleeps (1956)

Directed by Fritz Lang. Enjoyable film-noir with a great cast.

Deadline - U.S.A. (1952)

Starring Humphrey Bogart. Mediocre film.

The First Great Train Robbery (1978)

Didn't find it funny, nor was it suspenseful.

Wheelman (2017)

Very slow, very bad. You could see the budget on this one.

Turist (2014)

Loved the location, but the family drama was a bit meh.

Ghostbusters II (1989)

Bad film, the visual effects were especially poor.

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

Very good film with good performances across the board.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Visually stunning with a brilliant soundtrack. Really liked this one.

Pretty in Pink (1986)

Mediocre.

Rambo 2, Rambo 3 and Rambo 4

Didn't care for any.