Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, great read! They really did play around with the idea of an elusive, all-seeing A.I. in a pretty horrifying yet grounded way. I thought it was approached nicely, even if the details are a bit cumbersome and messy.
    Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Or, as I call it, Godzilla Vs. The Wibbly Woobly Timey Wymey... Stuff. Or Godzilla vs. The Terminator. Because all those time travels would turn even the Doctor to madness. Still, despite some clanky special effects, an enjoyable romp.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Pearl Mia Goth is genuinely scary in this film, very unnerving scenes. I liked the old school look of the film and score.
    Bound (1996). Wow, this was a masterclass in suspense and thrills, I really loved this intense picture. Excellent cast, story, and escalation. Extra points for a very artistically fitting title, too!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Gerard wrote: »
    Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

Or, as I call it, Godzilla Vs. The Wibbly Woobly Timey Wymey... Stuff. Or Godzilla vs. The Terminator. Because all those time travels would turn even the Doctor to madness. Still, despite some clanky special effects, an enjoyable romp.

To add my two cents @Gerard, while the time travel plot of GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH is totally bonkers, it is actually one of my favorite Heisei era films. And with Akira Ifukube returning to do the score (for the first time since 1975), it really felt like an updating of the formula for a new age. Of course, it also had one of the greatest movie posters in the history of the franchise.

MV5BMjE2NzY5NjMwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk1MjI4MzE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Although it was not released theatrically in the US at the time, you may remember that the WW2 scene of US soldiers being killed by a pre-mutated Godzilla on Lagos Island caused some controversy. IIRC, it was actually mentioned on one of the entertainment news shows (“Entertainment Tonight”?) back in 1991/1992. That period was the height of “Japan Inc.” and feelings in the US about lost auto jobs ran high.

The cast, to, is a nice mix of newcomers and Godzilla vets. In watching SEVEN SAMURAI (1954) the other night, I made note on "X"of the frequent cross-pollination between the Godzilla movies and the films of Akira Kurosawa. In the case of GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH, we had actor Yoshio Tsuchiya (1927-2017) who played “Rikichi” – one of village farmers.
    EYUDV3iXsAY3J2w.jpg

His death scene in GODZILLA vs. KING GHIDORAH is one of the most talked about moments in the film and in the history of the franchise IMO. There is a moment there, where GODZILLA actually seems to “remember” him as one of the Japanese soldiers that he saved from US forces towards the end of the war. Yet, perhaps, viewing him as a now corrupted businessman, Godzilla soon unleashes his atomic breath and kills him.

godzilla-vs-king-ghidorah-1991-1.jpg

Side note, the Android M11 was played by Robert Scott Field who was (is?) a US actor that lives in Japan full-time. And since he is fluent in Japanese, for many years he would attend the annual G-FEST conventions to act as the translator for the guests.
    Speaking of which : Did Steven Spielberg know about the tribute he got in this movie ? And did his father serve the Pacific in WW II ?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Bound (1996). Wow, this was a masterclass in suspense and thrills, I really loved this intense picture. Excellent cast, story, and escalation. Extra points for a very artistically fitting title, too!

Such a visually inviting and gorgeous film. And the chemistry between those two ladies? Unbelievable.
    Im watching Caretaker , a play made into a film (was financed by Burton/Taylor/Saltzman/Sellers) , starring Shaw/Pleasence.....havent finished it , its okay I guess.....P plays a homeless man who stays at Shaws flat
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Late Night With the Devil... Incredible and authentic art direction, costumes, sets. Very dark humour with a wicked twist at the very end.

Happily impressed.
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998). Hilarious, artistically abstract about excessive escapism in the Vietnam era - or at least, that’s the main takeaway I got out of it. The opening few minutes are the best part, but many great scenes and sequences are in the whole movie.
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998). Hilarious, artistically abstract about excessive escapism in the Vietnam era - or at least, that’s the main takeaway I got out of it. The opening few minutes are the best part, but many great scenes and sequences are in the whole movie.

One of my Top 10 favorite films ever. Unsurprisingly, watching it stoned makes it even better. That opening is a great scene setter, and it only gets more riotous from there.

"Two glasses of ice water wid ice."
  • mattjoesmattjoes At my most trollish behavior
    edited May 28 Posts: 6,881
    Tracy wrote: »
    Im watching Caretaker , a play made into a film (was financed by Burton/Taylor/Saltzman/Sellers) , starring Shaw/Pleasence.....havent finished it , its okay I guess.....P plays a homeless man who stays at Shaws flat
    I'd forgotten about this. I want to watch it.

I last watched Bugsy (1991). What can I say, I have a lot of fun watching movies. This is another one in a long line of quality flicks I've had the pleasure of watching. One of the last scenes, the opening night of the Flamingo, is so touching, as is the last scene between Ben and Virginia. Plus Morricone adding some spice in the background.

Edit: I forgot to say that in the film, the character of Bugsy Siegel is portrayed as a somewhat eccentric visionary (not forgetting he's also a gangster), and the fact that Warren Beatty played that role made a lot of sense to me, since 23 years later he would play Howard Hughes, someone with more than a few similarities in his eccentricities.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

One of my Top 10 favorite films ever. Unsurprisingly, watching it stoned makes it even better. That opening is a great scene setter, and it only gets more riotous from there.

Great choice! That quote does crack me up, but the opening just was the absolute funniest to me. The “are you prejudiced?” “How about some ether - what?!? Nvm” exchanges are priceless. I am going to be so broke in July when Barnes & Noble has their 50% off Criterion sale, with this one hitting 4K soon.

Great choice! That quote does crack me up, but the opening just was the absolute funniest to me. The “are you prejudiced?” “How about some ether - what?!? Nvm” exchanges are priceless. I am going to be so broke in July when Barnes & Noble has their 50% off Criterion sale, with this one hitting 4K soon.

It's pure comedy gold from start to finish for me. I don't even think I can put my finger on a single favorite scene. It's just one segue after another of genius and outrage.

And yes, these next few months from Criterion are going to hurt my wallet. I have my eyes on Querelle, this 4K edition you mentioned, and then Perfect Days. I couldn't be more excited for those.

It's pure comedy gold from start to finish for me. I don't even think I can put my finger on a single favorite scene. It's just one segue after another of genius and outrage.

And yes, these next few months from Criterion are going to hurt my wallet. I have my eyes on Querelle, this 4K edition you mentioned, and then Perfect Days. I couldn't be more excited for those.

Sweet. I’ve got Blue Velvet, Risky Business, The Piano, Bound, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Picnic at Hanging Rock, and The Trial all on my radar. Potentially more as I’m trying to watch more films in the Criterion catalogue.
    @FoxRox, ooh, is that a 4K upgrade for Picnic At Hanging Rock? Might need to upgrade my copy of it if so.

I'm debating if I want Risky Business or Bound. I saw both for the first time this year and loved them, just wasn't sure how much I may return to watch them. I still try and watch one new film a day, so my physical media has really taken a backseat over the last few years and I've tried to massively scale back the purchases I make.
    @FoxRox, ooh, is that a 4K upgrade for Picnic At Hanging Rock? Might need to upgrade my copy of it if so.

I'm debating if I want Risky Business or Bound. I saw both for the first time this year and loved them, just wasn't sure how much I may return to watch them. I still try and watch one new film a day, so my physical media has really taken a backseat over the last few years and I've tried to massively scale back the purchases I make.

Yes! That one’s been out since I think April. Both Joe Pantoliano classics there! That’s a good idea to be careful, for both cost-effectiveness and space saving! I’m trying to be somewhat selective myself, though I purposefully go out of my way to mostly see movies that sound or look interesting to me instead of just any so it makes sense I end up buying more than not haha. I’ve loved Risky Business for years, really one of the all time great teen classics. And Bound, of course, just recently saw and loved. Definitely see myself watching both a lot more.

Yes! That one’s been out since I think April. Both Joe Pantoliano classics there! That’s a good idea to be careful, for both cost-effectiveness and space saving! I’m trying to be somewhat selective myself, though I purposefully go out of my way to mostly see movies that sound or look interesting to me instead of just any so it makes sense I end up buying more than not haha. I’ve loved Risky Business for years, really one of the all time great teen classics. And Bound, of course, just recently saw and loved. Definitely see myself watching both a lot more.

I need to get my hands on that then. I still have the OOP (or I believe it's still out of print) Criterion blu-ray of it, the one that came with the special slipcase and the novel. It's so awesome. And indeed, Pantoliano is the man! One of those character actors who spices up everything he's in (and why his tenure during The Sopranos is one of my favorites in the series).

I think I saw five minutes of Risky Business 20 or so years ago, wasn't feeling it, and never returned. It getting an announcement for a Criterion release had me thinking it was finally time to see it in full, and I really loved it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited May 28 Posts: 8,778
    Based on the current subject in the "Would you rather..." thread, I had decided to watch Mars Attacks! again (after at least 15 years). But you guys' discussion above caused me to finally watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas instead. As I could tell from a printed(!) invoice from amazon.de that I had put inside the case, I bought the Blu-ray in September 2011...and never watched the movie so far.

I wish I had done that earlier...but not because of what you expect. I found Fear and Loathing exceptionally unfunny. I did not laugh once for the first thirty-five minutes, but found the supposedly drug-induced behaviour by the protagonists nothing but cringe-inducing, so I should have put that experience behind me earlier. I actually stopped the film after that (the last time this happened was Clerks about half a year ago, which I found just as much of a waste of time), and watched Mars Attacks! after all.

And hey, I laughed more during the first seconds of Jack Nicholson's U.S. President peering over his newspaper in his initial scene than during the 35 minutes of F&LILV. The movie is of course totally over the top and not to everyone's taste (if it were meant even slightly more seriously, I would have hated the killing...of the dogs, at least - but it isn't). But especially the artificially unsophisticated presentation of the Martians and their spacecraft and all the seemingly amateurish special effects, obviously meant to look like from a 1950s sci-fi B movie since ILM could definitely have done "better" in 1996, bars any thought that this could be meant to be realistic in any way. So it's just a case of relaxing und watchen die Blinkenlights and enjoying the nonsensical humour. I liked it.
    I just love Mars Attacks! Funny and so much fun. And what a cast! Famous stars keep dying left and right. Just when you think one of them is too big to kill off... nope, they turn into another Christmas-colored skeleton. One of them even dies twice! And the main theme by Danny Elfman, plus that Slim Whitman song! And the hilarious fact the Martians, despite Brosnan's assurances to the contrary, are just sadistic bastards who want to kill and conquer, and who mockingly pretend to come in peace.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    inland-empire-featured.png?fit=1059%2C596&ssl=1

Inland Empire is David Lynch at arguably his most unrestrained and experimental, this is a great film that kept me glued for its 3 hour run time, Laura Dern was outstanding here,

What is the film about?... time portals, alternate reality's, parallel worlds, nightmares, the spaces in between dreams, multiple personality?

It is probably all the above and more, only Lynch could make a film like this.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I also love Mars Attacks!: hilarious and atmospheric love letter to absurd 50's sci-fi flicks. Great cast and enjoyable music too, of course.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that I'm not alone in finding Clerks wildly unfunny @j_w_pepper. Always thought I must have missed something, but glad I'm not the only one :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Inquisition (1976)
    APIUysjKvtbVaic3DTCFId4RfwD_5GsS-iknlQlsEWMHpnDKjTVJmE0ThcEaql3ST3VLT23AjBEeb07yydzU0g=s1600
    A Spanish-Italian co production, was also a landmark for Señor Molina, as his first triple threat, and his directorial debut.

Chief Inquisitor Bernard de Fossey (Naschy) is travelling across plague ravaged Medieval France, with his two assistants, stopping at the village of Peryac. The three like indulging in good wholesome activities such as seeking out and destroying Witchcraft. The Mayor of Peryac put the three up at his home, leading to de Fossey falling for the Mayor's eldest daughter, Catherine. Catherine, meanwhile, is in love with Jean. When Jean is killed outside the village by bandits, Catherine suspects de Fossey, and makes a bargain with Satan to avenge Jean's murder. While paranoia grips the village, and people start turning on their loved ones, de Fossey, when he isn't torturing "confessions" out of innocents, struggles to carry out his work, when he is besotted with Catherine.

Several methods of torture are shown, all of which we heavily researched by Naschy, but only one caused me to wince. Even thinking about it now... oof. And as a welcome bonus, Julia Saly shows up playing Catherine's younger sister. Over the next few years, she would appear in a handful of Naschy's films.

See this if you liked: The Witchfinder General, Mark Of The Devil, or The Devils

1. Panic Beats (1983)
    2. Night Of The Werewolf (1981)
    3. Werewolf Shadow (1971)
    4. Human Beasts (1980)
    5. Horror Rises From The Tomb (1973)
    6. Crimson (1976)
    7. The Beast And The Magic Sword (1983)
    ***8. Inquisition (1976)***
    9. The Howl Of The Devil (1988)
    10. Night Of The Executioner (1992)
    11. Dr. Jekyll vs. The Werewolf (1972)
    12. Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
    13. Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll (1973)
    14. Exorcismo (1975)
    15. Vengeance Of The Zombies (1973)
    16. Count Dracula's Great Love (1973)
    17. Hunchback Of The Morgue (1972)
    18. 7 Murders for Scotland Yard (1972)
    19. Fury Of The Wolfman (1970)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I also love Mars Attacks!: hilarious and atmospheric love letter to absurd 50's sci-fi flicks. Great cast and enjoyable music too, of course.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that I'm not alone in finding Clerks wildly unfunny @j_w_pepper. Always thought I must have missed something, but glad I'm not the only one :)

Great minds think alike... :D
    Inquisition (1976)
    APIUysjKvtbVaic3DTCFId4RfwD_5GsS-iknlQlsEWMHpnDKjTVJmE0ThcEaql3ST3VLT23AjBEeb07yydzU0g=s1600
    A Spanish-Italian co production, was also a landmark for Señor Molina, as his first triple threat, and his directorial debut.

Chief Inquisitor Bernard de Fossey (Naschy) is travelling across plague ravaged Medieval France, with his two assistants, stopping at the village of Peryac. The three like indulging in good wholesome activities such as seeking out and destroying Witchcraft. The Mayor of Peryac put the three up at his home, leading to de Fossey falling for the Mayor's eldest daughter, Catherine. Catherine, meanwhile, is in love with Jean. When Jean is killed outside the village by bandits, Catherine suspects de Fossey, and makes a bargain with Satan to avenge Jean's murder. While paranoia grips the village, and people start turning on their loved ones, de Fossey, when he isn't torturing "confessions" out of innocents, struggles to carry out his work, when he is besotted with Catherine.

Several methods of torture are shown, all of which we heavily researched by Naschy, but only one caused me to wince. Even thinking about it now... oof. And as a welcome bonus, Julia Saly shows up playing Catherine's younger sister. Over the next few years, she would appear in a handful of Naschy's films.

See this if you liked: The Witchfinder General, Mark Of The Devil, or The Devils

1. Panic Beats (1983)
    2. Night Of The Werewolf (1981)
    3. Werewolf Shadow (1971)
    4. Human Beasts (1980)
    5. Horror Rises From The Tomb (1973)
    6. Crimson (1976)
    7. The Beast And The Magic Sword (1983)
    ***8. Inquisition (1976)***
    9. The Howl Of The Devil (1988)
    10. Night Of The Executioner (1992)
    11. Dr. Jekyll vs. The Werewolf (1972)
    12. Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
    13. Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll (1973)
    14. Exorcismo (1975)
    15. Vengeance Of The Zombies (1973)
    16. Count Dracula's Great Love (1973)
    17. Hunchback Of The Morgue (1972)
    18. 7 Murders for Scotland Yard (1972)
    19. Fury Of The Wolfman (1970)

Sounds great. Made me think of Mark of the Devil (which admittedly I haven't seen either). One of these days I'll end up watching one of these Naschy movies for sure.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe
    I really liked that movie when I first saw it. It's been a while, though. Thanks for reminding me, I'm giving it another watch soon. 👍
    After reading this article in The Guardian today, I decided I should finally watch this tonight:
    913qS71JnqL._SL1500_.jpg
    I think this is a really brilliant movie, one of the best "serious" films I've watched in a long time. For basically being a docu-drama, it works surprisingly well as a sort of spy thriller and a scorching criticism of how Alan Turing (and people like him) were treated during and after WWII, in spite of him probably having achieved more to end the war earlier than all the generals taken together, and now being considered one of the fathers of the modern computer. Turing killed himself by eating a cyanide-laced apple in 1954 after suffering from depression, most likely caused by having undergone treatment for chemical castration to avoid going to jail for two years after being convicted for his homosexuality.

The cast is outstanding. Cumberbatch, Knightley (as Joan Clarke, who was posthumously honoured as per the Guardian article), Charles Dance and Mark Strong - to name just a few - are doing a perfect job. Also the production design, costumes and Alexandre Desplat's score are flawless. Highly recommend to those who haven't seen it yet.

Yesterday, I had a hankering for some Godzilla. So, I put Godzilla Vs. Mothra : The Battle for Earth in my Blu-Ray player. The Indiana Jones vibe is strong in this one, at least at the beginning, and it borrows rather heavily from Mothra Vs. Godzilla (the corrupt businessman who wants to exploit the Cosmos Twins, for example, after wanting to exploit Mothra's egg. Still, a good movie, with a strong environmental message.

godzilla_vs_mothra.png

Two asides here : Firt, yes Arnold Spielberg, Steven Spielberg's father, served in WW II, but he was stationed in India. Still, in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah, he could well have been near that island, and later told his son (born in 1946) about it.

Second, it's really hard to get the DVDs that are missing from my Godzilla collection : They are either too expansive, or on sites that don't deliver to France (unless I missed a line. Funny thing, they deliver in French overseas territories). Let's hope I manage to find them someday.
  • edited May 30 Posts: 2,099
    I am doing a Bad Boys rewatch ahead of the fourth one, and they're all on Netflix UK at the moment.

Really enjoyed the first one, the action is more limited but this is made up for with the buddy cop dynamic, worked really well and had a great score. The "Bay-isms" arent as pronounced in this one. Plus, it has Tchéky Karyo (of Goldeneye) as the villain, which is neat.

Conversely, really didnt enjoy Bad Boys II. Its the exact opposite in too much overblown action, a wafer thin plot, and this drowned out a lot of the buddy cop dynamic which I quite enjoy between Smith and Lawrence. The score wasn't as good and some of the editing choices gave me a bit of a headache. Plus it's way too long at 2hr 20. A disappointing follow up.

Looking forward to Bad Boys for Life, I havent seen it since the cinema but remember it being a better balance between the action and comedy bits.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I always love it when Tchécky Karyo pops up in a film, excellent character actor.

His best performance is arguably in Besson's Nikita, although I really liked him in 1492 and Jeanne d'Arc as well.