007 Legends Announced

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For Bond 24, maybe Activision and Eurocom can be the villains?

Licence Revoked is ironically the perfect title, if EON don't still think us Yanks have no idea what the hell that means. ;)
    Played it for the first time this xmas - OMG how wrong can the game be. No thrill when the gunbarrell comes up. Reworking of Goldfinger theme - and got so ****** off with the game play of the goldfinger level, I did not even finish the level. When you kill one of the guards by the lift he drops to the floor and ends up between the floor and in the lift ???
    May go back to it next year, but not fussed to be honest. The multi player option to me was not much different than Goldeneye reloaded and even that could not hold my attention.
  • AliAli
    edited January 2013 Posts: 319
    Well, gave in and bought in cheap on PSN and *whisper* I didn't think it was that bad. OK, it completely mangles the plot of every movie it touches, but Star Wars games have been doing that for years and getting away with it based on nostalgia for playing within the movie set recreations and this just about does as well. Though I seem to have forgotten the part in Goldfinger with a laser equipped tank, and the fact that Fort Knox seems to be larger than most small countries!

The play mechanics are no worse than GE:Reloaded but the multiplayer is terrible. Everything jerks around and the servers seem to struggle with even 8 players present. Heaven help them if the lobbies ever fill up!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With everything that you all have said, combined with my thoughts before and after its release, I can't justify purchasing this game in the slightest. I don't want to pull my hair out just trying to enter a multiplayer lobby, and with an abysmal looking campaign that completely destroys everything I love about James Bond, I will be upset watching it unravel before my eyes.
  • AliAli
    I definitely wouldn't buy it for the multiplayer. How it can be based on the Call Of Duty engine yet be so inept online is beyond me. It's like watching a Spectrum game at times, with the framerate getting jerky and the animation stuttering so badly.

Campaign is more like Call Of Duty visits the Bond sets. It's definitely not Bond in that sense.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Ali

I don't think Legends used the CoD engine, I believe it was Eurocoms proprietary engine.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I am sure that Legends used GE:RE's engine which Eurocom also made.
    CoD can have pretty incompetent matchmaking, though, too, which blows my mind at how it's the highest selling game of all time and searches 46/50 or so good matches again and again, tries (and fails) to put me in two, and then restarts the search.
  • AliAli
    My mistake, the IW engine was used on Quantum Of Solace, not the Eurocom games. Mind you, that has even worse matchmaking! Can never find anyone to play with and I only need the multiplayer trophies to achieve platinum!
    Ali wrote:
    My mistake, the IW engine was used on Quantum Of Solace, not the Eurocom games. Mind you, that has even worse matchmaking! Can never find anyone to play with and I only need the multiplayer trophies to achieve platinum!

'Quantum of Solace' does? I've always thought about going back to it on the 360. I tried it one time and I instantly got into a match, but being on the PS3 probably doesn't help; any old game I returned to on that seemed to have little to no matchmaking. I played 'GE: Reloaded' a month after its release and found (literally) two other people online.

'QoS' was such fun, and was probably one of the more entertaining Bond games I played online when it was released. Spent my entire Christmas break when it came out playing it.
    Ali wrote:

I tried not too far back to get on to QoS's multiplayer and the game freezes at the multiplayer screen, forcing me to restart the game. So I can't even get into the matchmaking in the first place.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, did you ever get to play the multiplayer for QoS?
  • AliAli
    I've managed a handful of matches from time to time. When I can get in, it's great, but I'd say I find a match only 1 night in any 5 I try. Most people also stick to a handful of modes as well. Shame, as it's my favourite of all teh current gen Bond games. Far easier to play Blood Stone online on PS3, even though it's inferior IMHO.
    Ali wrote:
    I've managed a handful of matches from time to time. When I can get in, it's great, but I'd say I find a match only 1 night in any 5 I try. Most people also stick to a handful of modes as well. Shame, as it's my favourite of all teh current gen Bond games. Far easier to play Blood Stone online on PS3, even though it's inferior IMHO.

That's how I feel - current generation, it's by far my favorite. And yes, that's what I heard when I initially did research when I had interest in returning to the game: most people only play a certain few game modes. Personally, I preferred Bond Evasion, but TDM was always nice, as well.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, did you ever get to play the multiplayer for QoS?

Yes, I did.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    QoS in both PC and PS2 were very fun. I don't know why everyone says it sucks when it doesn't.
    At least it didn't mixed up the whole story like GE2010 did.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    QoS in both PC and PS2 were very fun. I don't know why everyone says it sucks when it doesn't.
    At least it didn't mixed up the whole story like GE2010 did.

When QOS was released, we were used to better Bond games like EON and FRWL and also COD4 was huge and since it was using that engine, QOS was very hyped. When it failed to meet that hype, it was considered a dissapoinment. That being said in retrospect, the game was very fun and much better than 007 Legends in many aspects
  • AliAli
    I have to admit, I keep laughing while playing this. "Oh, I wonder how Bond will beat the next iconic bad guy? Surely not by waggling the L & R joysticks in yet another fistfight.....yup, looks like it..."
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    bondbat007 wrote:
    When QOS was released, we were used to better Bond games like EON and FRWL and also COD4 was huge and since it was using that engine, QOS was very hyped. When it failed to meet that hype, it was considered a dissapoinment. That being said in retrospect, the game was very fun and much better than 007 Legends in many aspects

Completely concordable, Bondbat. MANY aspects make QoS a better game than Legends.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 127
    The jerkyness and framrerate/lag on multiplayer ruined it. You can't get passed it. The online may be fun if not for that. Reloaded had lag but it was not jerky like Legends. Aiming seems so inconsistent it isnt worth the headache. Luckily I traded mine in to gamestop toward BOPS2 when it was still worth something ($25).
  • AliAli
    I only paid £15 for the download of Legends. It's probably funnier than many BluRays i could have bought for the same amount.
    Ali wrote:
    I only paid £15 for the download of Legends. It's probably funnier than many BluRays i could have bought for the same amount.

'Funnier,' or did you mean it was more fun?
  • AliAli
    No, funnier. Some parts are just laugh out loud bad. Some are actually quite enjoyable. Mainly Moonraker. In fact, probably only Moonraker. I've finally reached Skyfall and the Shanghai level is just terrible. Really, terrible. Patrice would seem to be both immortal and able to shoot me through walls. Clever bloke. I may give up now!
    Ali wrote:
    No, funnier. Some parts are just laugh out loud bad. Some are actually quite enjoyable. Mainly Moonraker. In fact, probably only Moonraker. I've finally reached Skyfall and the Shanghai level is just terrible. Really, terrible. Patrice would seem to be both immortal and able to shoot me through walls. Clever bloke. I may give up now!

And Silva isn't even mentioned at all, or his attempts on M's life. Activision and Eurocom deserved what they got.
  • AliAli
    Oh, and now Patrice can walk right up to me, take 3 clips in the head and kill me with one shot. This is awful game design!
  • AliAli
    And now he has grenades and smoke bombs! And I have a pistol. That takes 3-4 shots to break panes of glass! I had to glitch the final section, finding a spot where Patrice couldn't shoot me through the pillar but I could shoot him.
    Funny enough, I rarely play 007 Legends anymore........and it's only been a little less than three months. How have I replaced the time? Playing Nightfire, like always. Lesson learned? I think so. EA > Activision
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've still not played 007 Legends. I spent my $60 on something more worthwhile, Resident Evil 6.
    I've still not played 007 Legends. I spent my $60 on something more worthwhile, Resident Evil 6.

I mean don't get me wrong, it is a pretty entertaining and fun-filled game, but only the first or second time around. Beyond that, you get into the classic Activision scenario where the gameplay becomes quite generic and yawn-worthy. The only exceptions to that rule are Blood Stone and Quantum of Solace, though there are occasions where even the latter dips its Foot into the pool of boredom.
  • AliAli
    Both games were Eurocom developed. It's just that EA gave them time to develop Nightfire. THere was a full 2 years between their N64 TWINE and Nightfire with only a few Gameboy Advance games in between. Whereas Activision had them release 007 Legends in only a year as well as them developing Harry Potter Kinect for Microsoft, Disney Universe for EA and the Rio film tie in for THQ. It was far too much work taken on by the developer and all the games suffered.

Activision should, however, have given them 2 years and better license support to make the game more authentic. THere are nice ideas in there. The investigation and stealth sections show promise but could have been so much deeper and more involving. They should have gone after the license to allow all the Bond likenesses to be used and made each section suit the filme better, not just be another CoD clone. And could they not have asked Jaguar nicely to use the XKR? Whatever that green thing is in the DAD section, it's hideously badly modelled!

They should also just have dropped the Skyfall section. Istanbul is very short and the motorbike chase is pretty dire. Completely on rails and just a case of dodging left and right while holding down R1. Shanghai, as I said, is a joke.