'Goldeneye 64' Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Which is why you always have proximity mines around. ;)
    007-goldeneye-remote-mine-2.jpg

Buy me a pint!
    What if there's a draught?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    A brief history of Goldeneye's development;
    Is the Goldfinger game mentioned on the previous page a PC/Mac game?
    Nintendo 64 game. But you can play it on PC via an emulator.

Wait, it's a fan made game for N64 – with cartridge and all?

Wait, it's a fan made game for N64 – with cartridge and all?
    It can be. @00Agent posted the guide to customizing the GE64 cartridge a couple of pages ago.

Although, if you're a PC gamer, it'd be easier to tackle the game and better if you care about the graphics. Awfully enhanced.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,279
    It can be. @00Agent posted the guide to customizing the GE64 cartridge a couple of pages ago.

Although, if you're a PC gamer, it'd be easier to tackle the game and better if you care about the graphics. Awfully enhanced.

Did not understand a thing from that guide in the link. Have GE on N64. Any chance someone can give a step by step guide?

Did not understand a thing from that guide in the link. Have GE on N64. Any chance someone can give a step by step guide?
    @Torgeirtrap Would you like to play it on PC? It's easier to set up and warrants less of a headache.

@Torgeirtrap Would you like to play it on PC? It's easier to set up and warrants less of a headache.

If it's just as simple for Mac, then sure! Not much of a PC/Mac gamer, but if you have to go through a lot of trouble for the game to work on the old N64, that's probably best to avoid. :-)
    David Doak discusses the development of Goldeneye;

This answered so many questions that I had, including who won the legendary 4 player death-match between Brosnan, Connery, Moore, and Dalton! Also,
    Oddjob was short because they confused him with Nick Nack?!?!?
  • Also,

A not uncommon mistake among non-Bond fans I understand. Anyway, good to hear Dr. Doak is alive and well and that he made it out of Facility before the gas leak.
    Also,
    A not uncommon mistake among non-Bond fans I understand. Anyway, good to hear Dr. Doak is alive and well and that he made it out of Facility before the gas leak.
    He lived to die another day.
  • legendary fps, used to play the shit out of it back in the 90s and i was a top playa!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2017 Posts: 28,694
    ...including who won the legendary 4 player death-match between Brosnan, Connery, Moore, and Dalton!
    WHAT?!?!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 3,000
    ...including who won the legendary 4 player death-match between Brosnan, Connery, Moore, and Dalton!
    WHAT?!?!

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Rare was given free rein to use characters from the entire Bond universe, so the game used to include all 4 character models. You could even choose your Bond for single player, but Rare was informed that Connery would want money. It would then follow that the others would probably want money as well. The models were removed, but the developers played a 4 player death match to 100 points before deleting them from the game. The victor was
    Moore
    by only one point. This raises the curious point that other likenesses may not have been compensated for their appearance in the game.
    If only they could have made a Roger Moore Bond video game. I mean... I love Agent Under Fire’s Bond, but I do wish sometimes they went with the original plan and had Moore’s Bond in it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Guy beats speedrun record for Goldeneye level and his emotions run wild:

• edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Anyone think they are quicker than this chap ?

'F**k! Oh my god!!' What happens when man beats Goldeneye video game record that's stood for 15 years.

Inside the world of so-called video game "speedrunners"

For most of us, completing a video game is a process that can take weeks, months or even years.

But a subset of gamers called "speedrunners" focus on beating games and levels as quickly as possible and competing against other challengers around the world at various different titles
    One such game is the seminal classic Goldeneye 007, a first-person shooter released back in 1997 for the Nintendo 64. For the last 15 years, no-one has been able to complete the first level - "Dam" - faster than 53 seconds. Until now.

Karl Jobst broke the record this week by completing the level in 52 seconds - recording the whole thing on camera including his reaction when the record-breaking time appears on the screen.

"F**k! Oh my god!!" he screams, clutching his head in his hands as the reality of what he's done sinks in.

For context, Jobst says he has sunk 250 hours into his attempt to beat the original 53 second record, set by Bryan Bosshardt in 2002.

The strategy involves taking the right line across the level and getting lucky with a series of gates you need to guide Bond through to recreate the opening stunt of the 1995 movie. Additionally, if you are shot in the back, it gives an inadvertent speed boost.

Jobst is the only person to achieve this feat, on this particular level, in this particular game. But it gives him universal bragging rights across the speedrunning community.

"This run is perfection. Three boosts, fast gate and on top of that amazing execution! Truly a pinnacle of speedrunning," wrote one impressed commentator in the Reddit thread that Jobst used to announce his success.

Speedrunning has become such a highly-contested subdivision of gaming it even has its own site where gamers can post and compare times.
    Several other Nintendo games, such as Super Mario Bros or The Legend of Zelda, also have dedicated speedrunning fanbases and online communities.

Like other forms of eSports, the video game community is responding to the demands of speedrunners.

"We’ve heard from our streamers and viewers that they want the freedom to form specific groups, organising around topics such as speedrunning, esports, cosplay, and painting,” said Sheila Raju a product marketing manager at gaming service Twitch.

"We are giving our users the power to create groups of their choosing, while providing creators with another tool to expand their audiences."

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    In case not everyone here is aware, a new project has emerged that is currently working on remaking Goldeneye 64 in the Unreal 4 engine.

Project is called Goldeneye 25, to be released on the 25th Anniversary of the n64 game in 2022.

Here's their Twitter channel with lots of progress updates:

https://mobile.twitter.com/007GoldenEye25

Btw this is NOT an aprils fool prank lol, i picked the wrong day to Post this :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wonder if it'll get shut down.
    Well i am certainly no expert on the legality of such things but since this is a non commercial fan project one might wonder how much legal rights Eon and Danjaq even have to close this down. And I don't see any benefit/loss for shutting it down/allowing it. Except if they have plans for another remake, which is pretty unlikely at this point.

Nintendo on the other hand would be a whole different can of worms.
    But Goldeneye Source has not been shut down either, so i hope we are Safe with this.
    It’s very likely to get shut down if it gains so much attention. Remember that Bond animated fan short movie from a couple of years ago one posted on YouTube but Danjaq/MGM quickly took it down after it rose to popularity? They’re quite touchy about Bond.

Similar thing happened to Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded, which was supposed to be only a fan project by Interceptor Entertainment, but current legal owners of the IP, Gearbox, shut it down.
    It’s very likely to get shut down if it gains so much attention. Remember that Bond animated fan short movie from a couple of years ago one posted on YouTube but Danjaq/MGM quickly took it down after it rose to popularity? They’re quite touchy about Bond.

Similar thing happened to Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded, which was supposed to be only a fan project by Interceptor Entertainment, but current legal owners of the IP, Gearbox, shut it down.

Yeah i remember Duke 3D releoaded, that broke my heart, especially since Gearbox isn't doing anything worthwhile with the license either.

But you really thing Goldeneye 25 could be shut down despite GE Source still existing?
    GE Source hasn't touched a legal subject, yet. It's only a multiplayer game that revives an old game only, so canonical or fictional events won't occur which is Eon's territory. However, there is the risk of them exceeding the level of popularity that would put Eon onto taking legal action.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    If it's just multiplayer, nothing will happen, most likely. Hell, if nobody has the video game license by the time of release, it may still be safe. Nintendo and particularly Square-Enix shut down fan projects all the time, based mostly on intellectual property rights.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    00Agent wrote: »

Yeah i remember Duke 3D releoaded, that broke my heart, especially since Gearbox isn't doing anything worthwhile with the license either.
    Hopefully they'll release the older, unfinished version(s) of Duke Nukem Forever, a possibility which was recently brought up.

GoldenEye 25 looks obviously terrific. It's still a long time away, though, so anything can happen in legal terms. Is it intended for single player as well as multiplayer? I suspect both.
    My good friend GoldenZen is working on the soundtrack for GoldenEye 25.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Is it intended for single player as well as multiplayer? I suspect both.

As far as i understand this will be a singleplayer only game
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »

This Sounds soo much closer to the movie than the game, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :D