'Goldeneye 64' Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423
    The game took me a week to beat in its whole. But, I played it on an emulator in 2005. No cheats. All fair and square. I never had a Nintendo 64 so TWINE went the same way on that platform. GE007 took me a complete week overall, including on all difficulties, and unlocking the cheats.

Fans might find this controversial but I was never a fan of the GE007 soundtrack. Too rocky for my taste. That also said, NF being my all time favourite Bond game also had a soundtrack I didn't fancy at all. Especially after what we've had with AUF.
  • YayakovYayakov UK
    Oh, Agent Under Fire's music was sublime!
    Yayakov wrote: »
    Oh, Agent Under Fire's music was sublime!
    Indubitably. The best soundtrack in the video game series, in my honest opinion.
    Benny wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Can't believe it's 20 YEARS???!!!! My goodness I ate, drank and slept this game until completion!!! Lol!

I bought the N64 just for GoldenEye and Mario Kart...but mainly GoldenEye.
    Yes, hours and hours of fun that game gave me. Cutting edge graphics, brilliant gameplay. A true classic.

Maybe I am old school Benny? But no follow up Bond game has never come close to it's pure addictiveness for me.

Likewise. I spent hours...days...weeks playing that game. A few years back they had an N64 console for sale in a second hand shop, complete with GoldenEye. I almost bought it just to relive those glory days.
    The only game that got slightly close for me was EON. But it wasn't a patch on GE.

I still have mine in storage with my collection, once the extension is done? The ole girl may well get another airing?!!!
  • dogtor_nodogtor_no on the set of bond 25
    ESTOY POOPIN

af39666d55e25f81dc5c8b3df1e506c0.jpg

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The game took me a week to beat in its whole. But, I played it on an emulator in 2005. No cheats. All fair and square. I never had a Nintendo 64 so TWINE went the same way on that platform. GE007 took me a complete week overall, including on all difficulties, and unlocking the cheats.

Fans might find this controversial but I was never a fan of the GE007 soundtrack. Too rocky for my taste. That also said, NF being my all time favourite Bond game also had a soundtrack I didn't fancy at all. Especially after what we've had with AUF.

I got my copy off ebay as a gift when I was like 10, and it was already completed, so I didn't go through the game chronologically. Someday I might have to actually 100% the game myself.

With regards to the GE N64 music, I do really enjoy it, but it doesn't sound Bondian at all. I enjoy it as its own sound, but I'd never want anything like it in a Bond film. And I agree that NF's soundtrack was not very good. AUF and EON had scores that very well could have been used in an actual movie.
  • RC7RC7
    I love the GE soundtrack. I love every little detail of the game. It's about as close to perfection as you can get. Really enjoyed the PS2 releases, but nothing comes even slightly close to this masterpiece.
    I think it's more of a nostalgic association.

Lots of people's breakthrough was GE007, for example, and a few others' is NF, which is why for me it stands out as the best Bond game ever.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    My girlfriend at the time got me the N64 Goldeneye edition for xmas. I'd joked that I'd never received a game console for xmas so she thought she'd surprise me...

I hadn't played a computer game for 10 years at the time so obviously Goldeneye was just incredible! I couldn't believe how smooth and realistic the gameplay was. Loved playing it and I completed it many months later. Addictive or what!

Still have the console and game stored away.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,185
    I think it's more of a nostalgic association.

Lots of people's breakthrough was GE007, for example, and a few others' is NF, which is why for me it stands out as the best Bond game ever.

It's not just nostalgia (but it plays a big role for sure)
    Goldeneye was simply revolutionairy on many levels, and for a couple of years there was nothing that could match it.
    Sure, Nightfire is a much better "Bond expirience", but Goldeneye in terms of game design is perfection, through it's simplicity mostly.
    The Bond license might have helped with the marketing and such, but has very little to do with why the game is so highly regarded imo
    True, I never said GoldenEye 007 was inferior.

Nightfire may be the better experience and all, but it was not marketed as a video game but rather a tie-in to a licensed franchise. GoldenEye on the other hand, while using the Bond license and all, was worked on as a full video game with the intention of making it a blockbuster. However, I do believe the Bond license helped a lot, which is where the game's concept was built on. The Golden Gun? The YOLT mode? and so on?

They made a very well thought James Bond video game. That's why it will always be the fan favourite above all else.
    True, I never said GoldenEye 007 was inferior.

Nightfire may be the better experience and all, but it was not marketed as a video game but rather a tie-in to a licensed franchise. GoldenEye on the other hand, while using the Bond license and all, was worked on as a full video game with the intention of making it a blockbuster. However, I do believe the Bond license helped a lot, which is where the game's concept was built on. The Golden Gun? The YOLT mode? and so on?

They made a very well thought James Bond video game. That's why it will always be the fan favourite above all else.

Oh for Sure, i would even say that Goldeneye is very underrated in that regard. it was not just a movie tie in, but was really developed by Bond lovers with a lot of thought and care for the franchise. There were so many characters, levels, weapons and gadgets beyond just the movie Goldeneye.

Around one years after playing the game, when i started watching the movies, i was so hyped every time i found a new character from the game in the movies, like Baron Samedi or Mayday. In that sense Goldeneye was the best possible recrution tool for Bond fans.

But i think that today mostly just Bond fans care about that aspect. The overall status that Goldeneye has as a game could have been achived even without using the Bond license... i think. Of couse it's rather pointless to speculate about it now, and i am glad that it is what it is and we can still appreaciate it on a Bond forum 20 years later
    1997 was the year that made the players be James Bond behind a gaming console and a controller. And with it being the first 3D Bond game, they felt it. Others that came after that tried to replicate its success.

Virtual Reality is slowly becoming popular, so 20 years later I am sure we are going to be given the game where we actually feel like being James Bond. That could be the second milestone in the Bond gaming franchise. :D
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,185
    The day they announce that game, will be one of the best days of my life.
    1997 was the year that made the players be James Bond behind a gaming console and a controller. And with it being the first 3D Bond game, they felt it. Others that came after that tried to replicate its success.
    I am wondering how Bond fans at that time reacted to the game?
    I was certainly not a Bond fan when i bought it. The game only made me one
  • RC7RC7
    00Agent wrote: »

It was immense. It was a bit of a badge of honour at the time.
    RC7 wrote: »
    00Agent wrote: »

It was immense. It was a bit of a badge of honour at the time.

I can only imagine how awesome 1994-1997 must have been for Bond fans
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It got me into the series as well. I remember for years being stuck on Aztec and Control on 00 agent. Relentlessly trying to unlock Egyptian. Then the button codes came out and then I went to town.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,813
    It got me into the series as well. I remember for years being stuck on Aztec and Control on 00 agent. Relentlessly trying to unlock Egyptian. Then the button codes came out and then I went to town.

How the heck would anyone have known how to get the golden gun if not for strategy guides? To my memory, the game had no hints
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

How the heck would anyone have known how to get the golden gun if not for strategy guides? To my memory, the game had no hints

Very true. Absolutely no chance that path could have been just run at random and got it successfully. It would have been cool to see a map of it right outside of the golden gun room or the tiles being a different shade.

Very true. Absolutely no chance that path could have been just run at random and got it successfully. It would have been cool to see a map of it right outside of the golden gun room or the tiles being a different shade.
    Indeed. Thank God by the time I played the game internet was already a thing. I wouldn't have figured out that Indiana Jones element by myself. Nor would've known there was such thing in the first place.

Indeed. Thank God by the time I played the game internet was already a thing. I wouldn't have figured out that Indiana Jones element by myself. Nor would've known there was such thing in the first place.

For those who didn't have the guide, I could only imagine the frustration and confusion aspect of that part.

For those who didn't have the guide, I could only imagine the frustration and confusion aspect of that part.
    I know the feeling.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Something that was impossible for me without a guide was navigating the sub in the final mission of TWINE on the N64. What a pain that was, still never beat that mission.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Something that was impossible for me without a guide was navigating the sub in the final mission of TWINE on the N64. What a pain that was, still never beat that mission.
    Oh every time I play that, I have to roll over and over like a confused mother hen to see where I'm going. Every time I succeed, I find the path by chance. It confuses me to this day. Not that the swimming system is any helpful, mind?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oh every time I play that, I have to roll over and over like a confused mother hen to see where I'm going. Every time I succeed, I find the path by chance. It confuses me to this day. Not that the swimming system is any helpful, mind?

Definitely not, on top of just how little air Bond could hold in his lungs. Felt very unforgiving at times.

Definitely not, on top of just how little air Bond could hold in his lungs. Felt very unforgiving at times.
    Very. Sometimes I go full Ben Stiller when outraged. :))

The guide actually confused me more.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I still have never beat that mission either. In honor of GoldenEye's anniversary weekend, I spent some time yesterday revisiting the game and will have to break out TWINE again next.

Man, GoldenEye is such a classic. Sure the resolution doesn't hold up on a modern screen, but everything about the game is still as awesome as yesteryear: the sound effects, the the weapon choices, the objectives, the music, the built-in training/progression of game skills through various levels, the totally immersive environments that put you right in the film. I was reminded all over again just how difficult Bunker II, Statues, and Control were on the harder settings. And how cool was that that Natalya would help you shoot down the enemies with her Cougar Magnum on Jungle when you're mucking up?

And yes, I remember looking up and eagerly transcribing the floor tile pattern in Egyptian and the thrill of first trying it out. GoldenEye was simply legendary.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Goldeneye + Gameshark codes = Hours of laughter

I have one code that makes everyone giant. It makes for quite the experience in Surface.

There's also one that turns multiplayer into a very glitchy third-person shooter.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Super GoldenEye 64 anyone. ;)