Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It would be so great for the film to hit $1 billion.

I know I'm throwing as much money as possible at it. I doubt she'll be up for it, but I've already asked my girl to join me in seeing it again tomorrow. I think I'll end up seeing it around six or seven times total.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Did Skyfall hit the 900 million already?

Almost. $869,712,819 so far.

Thats pretty amazing seen as Craig's Bond has Batman's,Spiderman's, Hobbits, Teenage Vampire's to contend with.
    While Connery's Bond Thunderball had no real contenders to deal with. Skyfall has made Bond a contender again. Its a excellent film and deserves all the success.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Thanks @Brady. I'm quite positive for SF to reach its 1 billion.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It would be so great for the film to hit $1 billion.

I know I'm throwing as much money as possible at it. I doubt she'll be up for it, but I've already asked my girl to join me in seeing it again tomorrow. I think I'll end up seeing it around six or seven times total.

If she dragged you to Twilight, she is going to Skyfall. You know, a film with actual merits! She gets to see Dan shirtless a few times, so there's that if she doesn't seem ready to agree.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, she's in love with it, but she's gone to see it with me all four showings. She even stood in line for three and a half hours with me during the midnight premiere. That's wifey right there.

We were about to go to bed the other night, and to help her sleep, she was actually replaying the Skyfall scenes, in order, in her head, and when I asked her where she was, she started quoting the scene between M and Bond in M's flat. She was like a beautiful Bond savant. Hey, if she loves it, then she shouldn't have a problem with going!

A long day of work followed by Skyfall? Yes, please.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    lahaine wrote:
    While Connery's Bond Thunderball had no real contenders to deal with.
    Uh ? Well, first, there was.. Goldfinger (for instance in France in 1965 yearly box office : GF is #2, TB is #3, it gives a clue of what Bondmania was IMO).
    Second, UK box office history of the 1960s seems hard to find on the Internet (OHMSS really #1 in 1969 ? I think only a trip to a UK library with an eventual box office magazine from that time on microfilm could really answer that), so I cannot tell you what were the contenders of the week of release. But in the US, for instance, TB was released at the exact same week as Doctor Zhivago, which was a "sleeping" mega hit (it did about twice more than TB in the end). TB was actually #1 only one week in the US box office, while Doctor Zhivago was #1 during 11 weeks (not continuous). It was #1 in its 20th week...
    No Zhivago ? Or one month of delay ? TB score may well have been far higher than it was.

This is part of my ongoing battle to show how pointless "box office comparisons" can be because of the numerous factors involved :)

And to show how complex box office history is, I think that Goldfinger was never #1 in the USA, "just" because on its week of release My Fair Lady performed very well in Kansas City according to the local manager. Yes, it was not "hard data", but rather a poll of opinions that made US weekly box office at that time.

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Germanlady wrote:
    Skyfall overtakes Avatar to become the highest grossing UK release of all time

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/12/skyfall-overtakes-avatar-to-become.html

This site is just speculating based on the inevitability that Skyfall took 200K GBP on Monday or Tuesday combined. UK box office figures are not released daily as they are in the US.

There will be an official announcement sometime this week for sure.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2012 Posts: 4,043
    SaintMark wrote:
    The movie did very well, but I have seen no evidence of any Bondmania.

To me it seems that more and more movies do steam up to the billion marker, that perhaps SF will be the first of the 007 series that will do. And perhaps of the DC 007 movies the one is that deserves it.

Still amazing that the Non-US audiences make more and more the BO for movies than the so-called domestic market. But we see that as well that more and more the market for big movies lies outside of the US.
    Want evidence? Look at this site leading up to Skyfall. We were ecstatic and shaky with anticipation.

Shardlake wrote:
    Outside of TDK and TDKR which other films have grossed 1 billion without being given the added element of 3D?

I think it says allot when Skyfall can achieve this without this cosmetic advantage.

"3D" and "advantage" in the same sentence. Hahahahahaha! :))

I meant from a financial point of view, I hate the format as much as you.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote:
    In as much as I 100% agree with you on this, still, BO takings can't and shouldn't be completely ignored.
    I think the majority here is happy that after DAD broke BO records, the producers didn't hurry to make DAD II.

Yes but by that time, it was an issue of the series' restoration of credibility. Shows like 24 were doing really well and pulling in massive viewerships and Bourne had come out and I suppose that although DAD made a lot of money, it supplemented and meant EoN could afford to take time out and regroup and spend money on areas to better their product.

• Moreover, would you have posted this if 'Skyfall' only brought in $ 650 million? Less than Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol? Off course not. Then people would start saying "The Bond franchise is indeed slowly dying".
    I think only one person would have called it a flop, and he would have met quite some strong words :)

I think you are definately French.
    JamesPage wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

This site is just speculating based on the inevitability that Skyfall took 200K GBP on Monday or Tuesday combined. UK box office figures are not released daily as they are in the US.

There will be an official announcement sometime this week for sure.

‘Skyfall’ Become UK’s Highest-Grossing Film Of All Time

It was already the biggest film of the year and the best 007 movie ever in the UK. Now, Skyfall has achieved yet another milestone to become the highest-grossing film ever in the territory. In 40 days of release, the 23rd James Bond movie has grossed £94,277,612 ($151,795,059) at the box office to overtake the previous record held by James Cameron’s Avatar, Eon Productions, MGM and Sony Pictures announced this morning. The Sam Mendes-directed Skyfall opened in 587 British theaters on October 26 and has been breaking records ever since. Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli commented, “We’re overwhelmed with gratitude to the cinema-going audiences in the UK who have made Skyfall the highest-grossing film of all time. We are very proud of this film and thank everybody, especially Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes, who have contributed to its success.” As of last Sunday, Skyfall‘s North American cume was $245.9M.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/skyfall-become-uks-highest-grossing-film-of-all-time/
  • Germanlady wrote:

Wow! That's fantastic news!

• Great news! Hopefully this weekend will give the film a good final push towards $1billion as I fear next week's release of the Hobbit will destroy anything in its path.
  • On the official website now
    http://www.007.com/skyfall-smashes-uk-records/

Quite remarkable news.....congratualtions to all involved.

Truly a day to be able to hold your head high as a Bond fan!!
  • RC7RC7
    <:-P
    Shardlake wrote:
    Outside of TDK and TDKR which other films have grossed 1 billion without being given the added element of 3D?

I think it says allot when Skyfall can achieve this without this cosmetic advantage.

Titanic, LOTR: Return of the King, Pirates 2 Are the other 3 i think.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Impressive results but so worth it!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    Great news! Hopefully this weekend will give the film a good final push towards $1billion as I fear next week's release of the Hobbit will destroy anything in its path.
    So now it seems Brosnan is the only Bond who was never #1 of the year in the UK (although I have great doubts about Lazenby frankly, I wish I could find reliable info on old UK box office...). The Hobbit look like the last threat for Craig, we'll soon know.
  • So now it seems Brosnan is the only Bond who was never #1 of the year in the UK ...
    Really? That sort of, unintentionally, sums up Mr. Bronsan's run for me. Not an unenjoyable run; indeed, a financially successful run. Just not a particularly memorable run.

• Really?

Well Lazenby is said to have been #1 in the UK, but you only read this in fandom writings it seems, that keeps on quoting a Bond companion book. Another #1 for the same year one can find elsewhere is... Carry On Camping.

• RC7RC7
    So now it seems Brosnan is the only Bond who was never #1 of the year in the UK

The Hobbit look like the last threat for Craig, we'll soon know.

From what I remember I think Brozza's DAD lost out to LOTR:2 and HP:2 in the end of year B.O, absolute phenomenons at the time. I think it still managed to beat SW:EP2 and Spiderman. Not bad going really but says a lot about B.O. - Quality ratio. I think it'll be a long time before a Bond movie does quite this well again. The stars have aligned.

Can't see the Hobbit dislodging Skyfall. The word-of-mouth is already not as good.

• doubleoego wrote:
    Yes but by that time, it was an issue of the series' restoration of credibility.
    Yes indeed, for franchise, BO is very short term compared to the long term handling. Funnily enough, Brosnan's fist Bond was #2 behind a #1 movie from another franchise : Batman Forever. So in these case the winner was the one who was slowly dying, actually !

• RC7 wrote:
    [Can't see The Hobbit dislodging Skyfall. The word-of-mouth is already not as good.
    While I know the reviews and the early returns haven't been sparkling, I'd be shocked if The Hobbit didn't knock Skyfall out of the box.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    [Can't see The Hobbit dislodging Skyfall. The word-of-mouth is already not as good.
    While I know the reviews and the early returns haven't been sparkling, I'd be shocked if The Hobbit didn't knock Skyfall out of the box.

Really? I would have agreed in September but Skyfall has done things I don't think anyone could have predicted.

• RC7 wrote:
    Really? I would have agreed in September but Skyfall has done things I don't think anyone could have predicted.
    Don't get me wrong; I'd be delighted if Skyfall remained in the top spot. I just don't think that's a reasonable assumption at this point.

RC7 wrote:

It may beat Skyfall and HP8 opening weekend figures in the UK but very unlikely in the UK to Beat Skyfall. WW it probably will thou.
  • htall90 wrote:
    It may beat Skyfall and HP8 opening weekend figures in the UK but very unlikely in the UK to Beat Skyfall. WW it probably will thou.
    I would hope it doesn't beat Skyfall overall in the United Kingdom, but even that is a bit of a toss-up for me at the moment. Worldwide I'd be surprised if Skyfall was the more successful film financially.

It's possible, I know; I just don't think it's probable.
  • RC7RC7
    htall90 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Yes, clearly WW it will. I do think there is a tough test ahead in the UK for overall gross. I'm not getting the same vibe I got for LOTR here.

Well the origin
    RC7 wrote:
    htall90 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Yes, clearly WW it will. I do think there is a tough test ahead in the UK for overall gross. I'm not getting the same vibe I got for LOTR here.

Well none of the LOTR trilogy broke records in the UK at time of release although they where huge hits. it should do extremely well as the 2012 UK box office is on fire so far throughout out this year.Should make at least $100 mil UK at least but Skyfall is out of reach despite the Xmas holidays and TH being more popular with kids. Even if the film is bad good will from previous film can propel films to huge amounts of money. Apparently it's not as good as the LOTR but it was never going to be as the Hobbit book is not as epic so thus not translate into a mega budget hollywood film as well.
    I have the feeling, Hobbit is hyped, just because its Hobbit and I have seen 4 stars reviews.. I predict, it will clearly win in the ww, but SF has a chance to remain 1 in the UK. There is NO chance for it not become no 1 spot in the US, but I have hope, SF will be 2 before TL.