Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

1767778798082»

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Indeed. Well currently the gross is at $1,108,561,013 anyway and it seems The Hobbit won't have it in it, to beat Skyfall in the US.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Beautiful, beautiful numbers, and SF deserved every penny it made. Bring on 'Bond 24'!
    Updated, and removed 'Final' from everything.
  • FYI, if you wonder how much "profit" is being made with SF, "Hollywood accounting" is such a creative process that there's a wiki page for it full of "surprising" anecdotes (like the LOTR trilogy or Return of the Jedi still not making any profit !).
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    The estimates of SF box office (the basis of the news on MI6 front page) for many european countries (not all of them, Iceland not included for instance) : viewers/population. Estimates for the US too at the right.
    428833europeskyfall.jpg
    "Final" figures for France still not released.
  • Surprised that it did better in Norway and Denmark than in the US.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,015
    The CNC figures are out for French box office, according to them *at the end of 2012* :

Skyfall had 6.80 M viewers for 2012 (last estimates by the tracking companies that feed all the web sites : "6.82M" for 2012) - Ice Age 4 had 6.63 M viewers total (last estimates were "under 6.59M" for 2012 = total)

So only about up to 1% of discrepancy this time it seems (overestimation for Skyfall, underestimation for Ice Age 4).

But that's still something like 0.5M$ for all of you who write world box office up to 1 dollar accuracy :)

I don't know if we'll have Skyfall final figure from the CNC though, as 2013's last 200.000 viewers or so won't be mentioned (the report list only > 1M movies). We'll have to wait for some professional book out.. next year !
    Netherlands is a huge Bond country too. Even franchises like The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Superman, still have difficulty toppling Bond in the Dutch box office.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 2,015
    In the meantime, some sources as reliable as others claim Skyfall has done more than 7M viewers in France when all the computations are over. I could pay about 5$ to have access to the professional figures (my "insider" is in holidays :) ), but it should be available publicly in the next months anyway.

Although some people may consider this 7M symbolic bar is important, what will be forgotten is that it is yet another proof week-to-week box office tracking is really not accurate at all, there are inaccuracies and fudging all over the place :) Here the difference between the above 7M figure and the last "official" (ah !) figure is less than 1% actually, but enough to make this bar a very virtual concept.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,119
    So this 7 million viewers figure in France is really impressive huh? I think the viewers figures for Netherlands are to be found somewhere as well. Here it is:

http://www.nu.nl/film/2999070/best-bezochte-bioscoopfilms-2012.html

More than 2.00 million viewers in The Netherlands for 'Skyfall'. And that was on January 8th of this year. 'Skyfall' is the most succesful movie in Dutch film history, attendance-wise ánd money-wise.

To compare: 'The Dark Knight Rises' had 0.76 million viewers.
    'Skyfall' is the most succesful movie in Dutch film history, attendance-wise ánd money-wise.
    Just looking at recent history + the usual #1, are you sure it was not beaten by

titanic1.gif (more than 3M viewers)

and

600full-gooische-vrouwen-poster.jpg
    (ah I misread, this one is 1.9 M viewers)

and

steen-der-wijzen.jpg
    (2.2M).

at least ? I don't expect re-releases to exceed 200.000 frankly.

Before that, Lion King seems to have broken records too, etc.

For France, Skyfall is around #85 of "all-time", but with re-releases it's hard to be sure, it may be closer to #70 who knows.

What do you think is more important for movie companies: The Money it brings in in the end? Or attendance figures?
    What do you think is more important for movie companies: The Money it brings in in the end? Or attendance figures?

Well you said, 'Skyfall' is the most succesful movie in Dutch film history, attendance-wise ánd money-wise. As it was quite surprising, I looked at some recent attendance figures, and found it was not the case at all. I'm not sure how your cinema was in the past, but I think in your country also in the past attendance figures for movies were generally higher anyway. Finding a few that had more attendances is enough to prove it's not #1 though.

As for the money it made, then the problem is that you'll surely say it's once again "boring" to adjust figures from the past to compare Euros from today, Euros from the past, and Gulden before that. So ok let's compare without any adjustment whatsoever (but then keep in mind we're talking about a way of thinking that says that "Scary Movie 2" was more successful than "Goldfinger" because it earned "more" :) ).

So let's look at the usual #1 Avatar and Skyfall on InsideKino :
    2010 : 18.83 MEuros in NL
    Skyfall
    2013 : 18.78 MEuros in NL

with the various errors of accountancy, hard to say which one is first with certainty, even if the figures say it is Avatar.

(but with adjustment the margin is far wider in favor of Avatar obviously).

So, not #1 for attendance for sure, and not #1 for money too it seems !

Oh, and as I strongly suspect you're going to give me some BoxOfficeMojo links to "prove" that Skyfall did more than Avatar there, I urge you to look at the week by week NL box office of Skyfall and Avatar according to BoxOfficeMojo : you'll see that on its last week Skyfall's box office was... diminished by half a million dollars, while Avatar's box office was diminished by two millions dollars in four weeks ! Surely something's wrong with their methods, but I already explained that many times...
    Uhm...no :| . I just wanted to consult your expertise. That's all..... But you make a whole cat-and-mouse-game out of it...
    Then why ranking movies is so important to you ? Does the fact that James Cameron exist (and hapens to be the #1 moneymaker and #1 attendance bringer in recent history in your country) has any influence on the judgment one should have on Skyfall ? I'm not even sure Skyfall beats Never Say Never Again in the "Academy Awards" ranking, you know :)
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Then why ranking movies is so important to you ? Does the fact that James Cameron exist (and hapens to be the #1 moneymaker and #1 attendance bringer in recent history in your country) has any influence on the judgment one should have on Skyfall ? I'm not even sure Skyfall beats Never Say Never Again in the "Academy Awards" ranking, you know :)

Dear Parachute. Your facts are always perfect. I admire you for that. But you mistake 'importance' with 'fun' and 'proudness'. I am just sheer happy for all this success. Damn, 'Skyfall' enhanced my 'nerdiness' as a Bond fan. For that I am proud....and it makes things like forums and discussions also more fun.

I don't find it important to prove something to you....or to 'defend' 'Skyfall' at any cost. What I do however, is discussing. With all the knowledge I have and 'eye for movie trends' I have. BUT, if I make a mistake, I let you be the 'evil queen of numbers' (damn, that's from 'GoldenEye' no? When Tanner calls 'M' that hehe ;) ) in case I am wrong ok? Just correct me in a nice way and don't put me in front of a soviet tribunal. Ok :-)?

Because in the end we all are a bunch of happy, cheerful fans......and we don't earn our money writing on these forums ;-).
    You should be then proud that Bond is lasting for 50 years in movies, and not being a generic blockbuster may have to do something with that. Maybe Bond cannot invent a new genre anymore, maybe it will have to always being now only second to the true new genre setters to come in the next years, etc.. but IMO it should stay apart from the blockbuster crowd.

But wanting Bond to become the next Christopher Nolan - Hans Zimmer - Henry Cavil l- Christopher Waltz - David Goyer - whoever else is "#1", "dream team machinery" may be actually missing the point of what makes it unique and lasting.

Give me another franchise which has a signature as strong as the gunbarrel opening ? (The Star Wars text titles opening maybe ?) Ok, now, how can a fan call it a "daft moment" and don't feel it's part of what makes Bond different ? ;)
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 5,806
    According to The Hollywood Reporter, it seems that China owes 23.000.000 $ of the benfits of Skyfall in their country. And Sony is not the only studio which has problems with that.

http://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-307981-la-chine-doit-des-plusieurs-dizaines-de-millions-de-dollars-aux-studios-hollywoodiens.html

A
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Frozen has now overtaken Skyfall to become the eighth highest grossing movie of all time. SF has dropped to ninth place.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    U.K. Box Office: 'Star Wars' Tops James Bond as Biggest Film of All Time

Skyfall was on Friday knocked from its spot as biggest film of all time in the U.K., with Star Wars: The Force Awakens passing its record of £103 million in the local box office, according to figures released by Disney.

The historic milestone was reached in just 22 days in the U.K., where it already broke several records in its opening week.

Despite launching Dec. 17, The Force Awakens managed to earn the number two film of the year as of the end of 2015, just short of Spectre, the 24th 007.

The latest Star Wars did, however, manage to top Bond in the BAFTA nominations, announced Friday, coming home with four noms in the technical categories. Spectre emerged without a single nomination.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, it was only a matter of time.
    The force is strong in the new one.
    Bond should be biggest in UK, sad.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    6 years later, Skyfall has lost its title of being Sony's biggest film of all time to Spiderman: Far From Home.