Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

EON have found the magic formula - put 'all' at the end of the title.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    One word titles work well. Risico next?
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Yeah, it'll be running until Thursday in America at least, a very rare move.

Not that rare Samuel001, apart from being a Bond film, this happens to most movies who make more than $800 Million worldwide........and who especially do well in the USA....more than $250 Million. Those movies simply bring in cash much longer.

It was the case with 'The Dark Knight', 'Inception', 'The Dark Knight Rises' and now 'Skyfall' :-).
    Getafix wrote:
    EON have found the magic formula - put 'all' at the end of the title.

:))
    Samuel001 wrote:

Not that rare Samuel001, apart from being a Bond film, this happens to most movies who make more than $800 Million worldwide........and who especially do well in the USA....more than $250 Million. Those movies simply bring in cash much longer.

It was the case with 'The Dark Knight', 'Inception', 'The Dark Knight Rises' and now 'Skyfall' :-).

Depends really when the studio decides to pull it really. There pulling it today because of Die Hard 5 and the Dvd release in the US. Skyfall run in China would of been strong but journey to west is dominating the Chinese box office now that has effected all other movies. The Hobbit has 3d but unless it has a massive breakout in China Skyfall will be 7th in the all time list at least to the big summer movies come a long.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    October 28: +$77.7 Million
    October 29: +$80.6 Million
    November 4: +$287 Million ( $206.4 Mil in under a week! )
    November 11: +$518.6 Million ( $231.6 Mil in a week! )
    November 18: +$669.2 Million ( $150.6 Mil in a week! )
    November 25: +$790.1 Million ( $120.9 Mil in a week! )
    November 30: +$800.3 Million
    December 2: +$869 Million ( $78.9 Mil in a week! )
    December 9: +$918.2 Million ( $49.2 Mil in a week. ) **Highest Grossing Sony Film Ever**
    December 16: +$951 Million ( $32.8 Mil in a week. )
    December 23: +$974.2 Million ( $23.2 Mil in a week. )
    December 30: +$1,000.2 Million! ( $25.8 Mil in a week. )
    January 6: + $1,023.3 Million ( $21.3 Mil in a week. )
    January 13: + $1, 032.9 Million ( $9.3 Mil in a week. )
    January 20: + $1, 034.4 Million ( $1.5 Mil in a week. )
    January 21: Skyfall opens in China.
    January 27: + $1, 078.5 Million ( $44.1 Mil in a week! )
    February 3: + $1, 093.5 Million ( $15 Mil in a week. )
    February 10: + $1, 100.8 Million ( $12.8 Mil in a week. )

8330830121_a9ccf53601_b.jpg

Ever since October 26th....'Skyfall' has made at least Millions of Dollar. And 'Skyfall' is almost four months in cinemas across planet Earth :-D.
  • htall90 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Depends really when the studio decides to pull it really. There pulling it today because of Die Hard 5 and the Dvd release in the US. Skyfall run in China would of been strong but journey to west is dominating the Chinese box office now that has effected all other movies. The Hobbit has 3d but unless it has a massive breakout in China Skyfall will be 7th in the all time list at least to the big summer movies come a long.

Isn't that wunderful :-D?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    007th place, fitting indeed.
  • On this very site "Even accounting for inflation, 'Skyfall' is the highest grossing James Bond film of all time, leaving the long-term record holder 'Thunderball' for dust." Some can claim ranking is not important, I claim it is for some here (and not the least), critical... hence all the bad faith around it.
    On this very site "Even accounting for inflation, 'Skyfall' is the highest grossing James Bond film of all time, leaving the long-term record holder 'Thunderball' for dust." Some can claim ranking is not important, I claim it is for some here (and not the least), critical... hence all the bad faith around it.
    The two biggest films of the franchise at the BO are SF and TB.

Do you have a problem with that statement?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can't please anyone around here. SF and TB are the most successful films in the entirety of the franchise, and they have both grossed over $1 billion, an absolutely delightful achievement. It's fact. Quit complaining.

"SF made more! No, my pie graph is cooler, so TB made more! No, SF beat TDK so it made more than TB! Well again, my pie graph is cooler than your line chart, so this one did better than that! Nuh-uh! Yes-huh!"

Boys with toys.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Can't please anyone around here. SF and TB are the most successful films in the entirety of the franchise, and they have both grossed over $1 billion, an absolutely delightful achievement. It's fact. Quit complaining.

"SF made more! No, my pie graph is cooler, so TB made more! No, SF beat TDK so it made more than TB! Well again, my pie graph is cooler than your line chart, so this one did better than that! Nuh-uh! Yes-huh!"

Boys with toys.
    I think a few people on here are having a hard time accepting that another Bond film has reached TB's peak.

@jetsetwilly, exactly my thoughts for quite some time now.
    It is great that Skyfall is 7th on all time list very fitting. I honestly cannot see a film knocking it from that position for quiet sometimes the summer movies this year are not on the same level as last year can only see hobbit 2 beating it or maybe bond 24 lol.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 183
    I'm not sure anyone has mentioned it previously (I ain't going through 77 pages to find out), but as much as I am incredibly pleased about the success of Skyfall at the box office, I am concerned that it's success may cause the downfall (no pun intended) of Bond in the future. For example,

Bond 24 does well, but not as well, say 800 million. And then, say, eventually the Bond films continue to do well at a Quantum of Solace rate of 500 million after Bond 25. Will Sony (or whoever is funding at the time) decide Bond has failed in comparison to Skyfall and pull the plug? Or more likely, we have another The Spy Who Loved Me/Goldeneye situation where one sole Bond film's box office will decide the fate of the franchise?

I have to admit, I'm not ultra-wise when it comes to all this money stuff in films, so do correct me if I'm talking out of my bottom!
    @TPM007, I wouldn't like to think so. I would surmise that a film nearly doubling (or even tripling) it's budget means that it was an absolutely incredible success, and they will also continue to make Bond until the day the public decides they don't care to see the world of 007 anymore, and the films rake in barely $100 million or so.
    A film with the success of Skyfall will ensure at least another 2 bonds even if they flop which is very unlikely. I can see no way with inflation and market expansion that Bond 25 slip's back to QoS levels. $800 mil would still defo continues franchise unless they went mad with the budget and broke $300 mil or something lol!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bond movies are cash cows. They don't need to be making $billions and tbh it's not realistic for an ongoing movie series to be making $1.1billion for every subsequent outing. At this point, if EoN can at least continue to get quality actors and a solid director on board, Bond movies should be averaging around the $750/800 million mark. As long as the movies don't overblow the budgets i.e. keeping the budget under $250million then it shouldn't be a problem.
    QoS was the most expensive Bond at roughly $230 mil hope Bond 24 does not exceed this to much money is not a good thing but sony tends to do this with big follow up's to popular films e.g QoS and Spiderman 3. Still Bond 24 will cost more due to actors and returning cast and crew wanting more money. Still as u stated above Bond for the foreseeable should be cable of $800 mil at least. You never no Bond 24 could increase on Skyfall but only i think if it's better then Skyfall.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Bond movies are cash cows. They don't need to be making $billions and tbh it's not realistic for an ongoing movie series to be making $1.1billion for every subsequent outing. At this point, if EoN can at least continue to get quality actors and a solid director on board, Bond movies should be averaging around the $750/800 million mark. As long as the movies don't overblow the budgets i.e. keeping the budget under $250million then it shouldn't be a problem.

Could be. But I think it's more realistic to say that Bond 24 stays in the comfort zone of 'Skyfall'. Bond 24 could now easily bring in a worldwide gross between $950 Million and $1,150 Billion. And I reckon Bond 24 will at least have as much starpower actors like 'Skyfall'.

Look to the follow-up of 'The Dark Knight'. TDK brought in $1,004 Billion. 'The Dark Knight Rises' did even better four years later: $1,081 Billion.

I think we will also witness an almost exactly the same crew as the one in 'Skyfall'. You heard it during the BAFTA's......Barbara and Michael want Sam back. Desperately. And Sam himself....looking at his eyes, I think he'll do it.

'Skyfall' uplifted the franchise from an already stable lucrative franchise to an even bigger, more lucrative franchise. Big actors would now not mind to join Sam Mendes and his crew. Because Bond 24 will be, like 'Skyfall', not just a Bond film that will result in a lot of negative typecasting for famous actors. No, also Bond 24 will be more than that.....an adventure where, like with Batman, star cast and starcrew want to become part of.

Also, and I read this in 'The James Bond Archives' from Taschen. For 'Skyfall' they basically tailored the screenplay around Javier Bardem....around the role of the villain. This is more appealing for bigger Oscar-heavy actors. Barbara and Michael will now most likely do something similar for Bond 24.

And I do believe Oscar heavy actors create a new, bigger influx of non-Bond fans; I think they can help generate a bigger, more diverse audience. A new standard we will most likely see for Bond 24 as well. Result: A bigger chance of at least another + $950 Million box office success.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 183
    doubleoego wrote:

Could be. But I think it's more realistic to say that Bond 24 stays in the comfort zone of 'Skyfall'. Bond 24 could now easily bring in a worldwide gross between $950 Million and $1,150 Billion. And I reckon Bond 24 will at least have as much starpower actors like 'Skyfall'.

Look to the follow-up of 'The Dark Knight'. TDK brought in $1,004 Billion. 'The Dark Knight Rises' did even better four years later: $1,081 Billion.

I think we will also witness an almost exactly the same crew as the one in 'Skyfall'. You heard it during the BAFTA's......Barbara and Michael want Sam back. Desperately. And Sam himself....looking at his eyes, I think he'll do it.

'Skyfall' uplifted the franchise from an already stable lucrative franchise to an even bigger, more lucrative franchise. Big actors would now not mind to join Sam Mendes and his crew. Because Bond 24 will be, like 'Skyfall', not just a Bond film that will result in a lot of negative typecasting for famous actors. No, also Bond 24 will be more than that.....an adventure where, like with Batman, star cast and starcrew want to become part of.

Also, and I read this in 'The James Bond Archives' from Taschen. For 'Skyfall' they basically tailored the screenplay around Javier Bardem....around the role of the villain. This is more appealing for bigger Oscar-heavy actors. Barbara and Michael will now most likely do something similar for Bond 24.

And I do believe Oscar heavy actors create a new, bigger influx of non-Bond fans; I think they can help generate a bigger, more diverse audience. A new standard we will most likely see for Bond 24 as well. Result: A bigger chance of at least another + $950 Million box office success.

But my primary concern is that I can't see another 23 Bond films getting close to 1 billion each time. It's got to dip at some point, and when it does, will we see a big decline?

But I agree with @Creasy47 who said -
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @TPM007, I wouldn't like to think so. I would surmise that a film nearly doubling (or even tripling) it's budget means that it was an absolutely incredible success, and they will also continue to make Bond until the day the public decides they don't care to see the world of 007 anymore, and the films rake in barely $100 million or so.

And as I can't see the films ever making less than 100 million anyway, here's to another 50 years!

• TPM007 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

But my primary concern is that I can't see another 23 Bond films getting close to 1 billion each time. It's got to dip at some point, and when it does, will we see a big decline?

For future Bond films that's an almost given fact yes. Like in the 1960's, also in this Bond era we will see a decline. 'YOLT' following 'TB' being the best example.

But that won't be the case for Bond 24. Maybe Bond 25 or Bond 26, but Bond 24 will still be sailing the 'Skyfall' waves I think. And with the absence of the new revived Batman films, true competition won't be there for Bond 24.
  • I'd love to one day know the true net profit for SF...taking into account the money generated by product placement, but also DVD/Blu-ray sales, selling the TV rights, and even related profits like soundtrack sales...
    i Think particularly in the US Bond 24 can benefit from Skyfall maybe not so much OS.
    Comparing skyfall and bond 24 to TDK and TDKR is not a good comparison as TDRK increased due to huge increase in OS market between 2008 and 2012 e.g TDK was not even release in China for example. The OS market will not of expanded as much between 2012 and 2014 likely release date of Bond 24. I still think a billion is possible for Bond 24 because even if it declines it will not drop of completely due to good will from Skyfall.
  • htall90 wrote:
    i Think particularly in the US Bond 24 can benefit from Skyfall maybe not so much OS.
    Comparing skyfall and bond 24 to TDK and TDKR is not a good comparison as TDRK increased due to huge increase in OS market between 2008 and 2012 e.g TDK was not even release in China for example. The OS market will not of expanded as much between 2012 and 2014 likely release date of Bond 24. I still think a billion is possible for Bond 24 because even if it declines it will not drop of completely due to good will from Skyfall.

Moreover, James Bond is just starting on the Chinese market. It looks like 'Skyfall' is ending up around $70 Million. I'm pretty confident that will be even more for Bond 24.
    How sure are we about the 70 mill for China? If so, its more then I thought, it would make.
    htall90 wrote:

Moreover, James Bond is just starting on the Chinese market. It looks like 'Skyfall' is ending up around $70 Million. I'm pretty confident that will be even more for Bond 24.

Strangely proportional to market size QoS did better in China. Skyfall is at about $57 mil currently so over $60 mil is certain $70 mil will be a push it's lost a lot of screen's in it 3 rd week and Journey to the west is dominating the Chinese box office. However Bond 24 should certainly increase over Skyfall in China the market is growing at around 30% a year so if Bond 24 made less then Skyfall in China it would be a huge shock. China will by bond 24 be the 3rd biggest market for bond behind the Uk and US.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Going back to future Bind releases and their respective grosses, I think it's a fair observation that, there's been a shift in the landscape of BO takings. There aren't really actors who are BO draws these days not like it was 15+ years ago. These days it's all about the director and the script writers holding more of an emphasis. Sure, the acting talent is obviously important but actors these days don't even have the pull they once had to really salvage a mediocre movie.
    This all being said, Mendes is moving closer to directing Bond 24 and that alone is enough to "Nolanise" the next Bond outing. By "Nolanise" I mean the combination of critical and box office clout to ensure not only will it be positively received but it'll make near a $billion. I said in an earlier post that Bond movies from here on out should be averaging about $750/800 million and I think it was @Gustav who pretty much guaranteed that Bond 24 would repeat SF's success and make a $billion+.
    with the existing talent already attached to Bond 24, Logan writing and Mendes looking set to return as well as, SF's blistering success and Bond reaffirming his foothold in popular culture with a more serious and credible edge I think it's a reasonable assumption to expect Bond 24 to gross a $billion and thereabouts and possibly at least for the remainder of Craig's tenure.
    I think brand name and popularity of the film series is the most important pull of a film for example the pirates of the Caribbean are some of the most popular films ever made despite only the 1st one being consider a good film. The pirates franchise just has something audiences like despite critics bashing repeated instalments. This is similar to Bond if the next bond is a flop critically and is universally bashed by critics this matters not as it will still be a guaranteed hit because of the bond brand's all ready establish popularity. You just have to look at the 14 films that have passed a billion dollars w.w a fair number are poor to average films.What i'm trying to say is bond is an elite franchise in hollywood a hit no matter the quality of the film very few franchises can also say this.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Creasy47 wrote:

The fact that TB has grossed over $1bn is NOT a fact. It is an invention created by ranking aficionados who can't live without ranking things.

TB has done several millions dollars in 1965, along with several million pounds, several million francs, several million yens, etc. No one would dare to summarize this with a "2012 dollar figures"... except here :) Even people who say it's not important keep on doing it :) I gave the figures if you use the pound as the main currency instead of the dollar to do the computation : SF turns out to be well below TB with this computation which is as "sound" (ie : not at all). So, what's the point ?

BoxOfficeMojo is very popular here, the fact that for each movie it gives inflation adjusted for domestic box office only, and certainly NOT for worldwide should ring a bell...
    The two biggest films of the franchise at the BO are SF and TB.

Do you have a problem with that statement?

I'm not fluent enough in English to really understand all the subtleties that are meant with "biggest", so I can't answer. If it's for their impact on society, I would disagree, as GF is probably above both of them. If it's for box office success, well watch out, it means everyone should consider that "I, Robot" is "bigger" than "Blade Runner" :)
    I think a few people on here are having a hard time accepting that another Bond film has reached TB's peak.

Building strawmen, eh ? I think I've been the one here bringing the more elements to "remind" that GF and TB were not the box office phenomenom many believes (for instance, GF was never #1 weekly in the US, and TB was only on its first week..), good luck to describe that like the words of someone who live in the past :)