Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

• These are all valid points but I would remind you of the Wizards number 1 rule: the general public are retards.

Brilliant.
  • RC7RC7
    I didn't realise that SF is about $2m off the total haul for LOTR:Fellowship. That is massively impressive.
  • These are all valid points but I would remind you of the Wizards number 1 rule: the general public are retards.

Brilliant.
    See, I find that sort of rationale anything but.

• RC7 wrote:
    I didn't realise that SF is about $2m off the total haul for LOTR:Fellowship. That is massively impressive.
    Very much agreed. Regardless of what one thinks of the film, it's earning ability does seem pretty impressive.
  • @Sonic I don't think the 50th helped that much because not many people actually know it's the 50th. I think it's just all the raving reviews and the 4 year gap more than anything.
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    I have nothing else to say to you so shall we return to the B.O. discussion...
    If only that were true!

If you hadn't noticed I've tried to move on but I'm being attacked left, right and centre by the Skyfall police. Skyfall is high art. Let's move on.

Yeah to be fair @RC7 said lets move on and then @Germanlady said something else to him about art.
  • @Sonic I don't think the 50th helped that much because not many people actually know it's the 50th. I think it's just all the raving reviews and the 4 year gap more than anything.
    Very much agreed. The Bond enthusiast is likely aware it's the 50th anniversary; I don't know as the general public has taken much notice of it, and the film certainly wasn't really marketed highlighting that.

RC7 wrote:

It is and at the same time maybe not LOTR: Fellowship Ring came out 11 years ago when tickets prices where a lot lower and many OS markets where tiny compared to what they are today e.g India and China. LOTR:Fellowship was a hugely popular film and would easily passed a billion at modern prices. Still to pass any of the LOTR is an achievement.
    Japan being the first market, that seems a bit below expectations - but maybe expectations are now skyhigh. Personally I believe, that Asia might not become THAT strong, as the film is not heavy on action , as most there might expect and are eager to see.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/skyfall-opens-top-box-office-396685

@royale, I was typing my answer to RC7, while he was posting his "lets move on".
    and there was me predicting 650-700 million tops. Taxi for me I think.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Japan being the first market, that seems a bit below expectations - but maybe expectations are now skyhigh. Personally I believe, that Asia might not become THAT strong, as the film is not heavy on action , as most there might expect and are eager to see.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/skyfall-opens-top-box-office-396685

@royale, I was typing my answer to RC7, while he was posting his "lets move on".

Yh Asian is not as keen on Skyfall as America and northern europe as i have heard that they claim there is not enough action. It also underachieved in Singapore and Hong kong. One of the reason it was a bit low in Japan was a movie about the most popular manga series ever was released in Japan fairly recently i believe and Manga is huge in Japan. Still $30 mil at least should come from Japan.
    If CR made 27 mill, 35 mill MIGHT be possible, but we shouldn*t bet too much on China.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    If CR made 27 mill, 35 mill MIGHT be possible, but we shouldn*t bet too much on China.
    I'm a little curious how they'll react to that film.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Germanlady wrote:

Why not? If MI:GP made 100m then why can't SF beat that?

Although they'll probably get the hump with the fact that it was the Chinese who tortured Silva.
    Germanlady wrote:

Yh we have to remember Asia has a much different Cinema going culture to Europe and America. Re-releases and 3d sequels are not that popular in europe and America but in Asia there huge for example Transformers 3 was a mega hit in most of Asia.
    Germanlady wrote:

Although they'll probably get the hump with the fact that it was the Chinese who tortured Silva.

MI:4 was a hit because Tom Cruise is a huge star in China so i have heard and Chinese reviews raved on about the action scenes so that help. Apparently Chinese reviews are not impressed by Skyfall calling it overrated or so i read on Boxoffice forums. Also TH is out around the same time that will effect Skyfall as TH is in 3d and is fantasy film two elements the chinese love much more then Europeans and Americans.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 6,601
    I think MI:GP was much more heavy on action. If we get 50 Mill out of China, we are good IMO.

Also piracy might take its toll. IMO China will cost the film the Billion mark.
    I agree Germanlady.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    @Sonic I don't think the 50th helped that much because not many people actually know it's the 50th. I think it's just all the raving reviews and the 4 year gap more than anything.

Good point, i needed that to clear things up; Thank you Theliving. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MIGP had action Bond should look up to and learn from. I really love the choreographed action in MIGP, it was all rather impressive and some of the ambition in many of the pieces were great. I would love to see Brad Bird head a Bond film.
  • RC7RC7
    MIGP had action Bond should look up to and learn from. I really love the choreographed action in MIGP, it was all rather impressive and some of the ambition in many of the pieces were great. I would love to see Brad Bird head a Bond film.

I didn't see MI:GP at the theatre, just on HD download on the xbox. My mate, who incidentally doesn't rate Bond that highly (he thinks GE is the worst film he's ever seen) sent me a text after he'd seen MI:GP saying 'Have you seen MI, this is basically how Bond should be'. I'm not sure I completely agreed with him but I did think it had a lot of redeeming qualities. As it happens SF is so completely different I don't think it's easy to compare.
  • I see this thread all the time, and will be honest, I'm more interested in the quality of release or finished product, or just go along and take in the experience, rather than how much money it can generate. Safe to say, this looks like being the biggest grossing Bond movie thus far though, but I'm not always overly interest in that. I won't get the cash, won't fill my pockets, or any of you, so I'd merely like to see a good film above all else I'm afraid
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    Germanlady wrote:
    CR made 18 M$ in Japan, not 27M$, as you can check in Box Office Mojo for instance.

But it indeed made 2 billion yens. The author of Hollywood reporter you quote based his computations on today's JP/US exchange. But this one is even more dynamic than the Euro/US. In ten years, the $ lost half its value in Japan. So the same moviegoer spending the same amount of yens now counts as twice more in the worldwide box office than when he went to see DAD. Quite impressive, isn't it ? So the "69% more than CR" that he gives is actually almost exclusively exchange rate variation. A quick computation I did tells me it did about 10% more "only" in Yen (and if the number of Friday premieres, if any, is not the same, the comparison maybe pointless).

So he's right to claim from his analysis that SF should not, in his opinion, break records like in other countries. But in a few years, all that will be left in the lists is that "CR made 18M$, SF did 30M$ (for instance), it was an incredible success in Japan too !". At least this time you're experiencing it live !

MI:GP was released as the sole big blockbuster ; 2 weeks before it was Sherlock, and 2 weeks later it was... Journey 2, nothing in between if I'm not wrong. SF is rumored to be released at the SAME week end as the Hobbit. It may divide by 2 its potential...

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    MI:GP was released as the sole big blockbuster ; 2 weeks before it was Sherlock, and 2 weeks later it was... Journey 2. SF is rumored to be released at the SAME week end as the Hobbit. It may divide by 2 its potential...

Is that what happened this year with Batman and Spider-Man?
    I would love to see Brad Bird head a Bond film.

Bond never had a US director. It had mostly UK directors ovbiously. It had a Canadian once, that didn't leave a good impression, a Swiss one, and two New Zealanders, one best "forgotten" but also one who "saved" the franchise twice (Campbell).

Somehow I think not having ever been directed by a US director helped a lot the franchise to be what it is now.

Also, call it dubious snobbery or even xenophobia, but I know people whose only action movie they'll consider seeing is Bond, because it's not "from the USA" (the exception may be Spielberg)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    MI:GP was released as the sole big blockbuster ; 2 weeks before it was Sherlock, and 2 weeks later it was... Journey 2. SF is rumored to be released at the SAME week end as the Hobbit. It may divide by 2 its potential...

Yh Batman and Spiderman had a release during the same week as each other. Spiderman grossed more i think during its opening week. So both where effect as you would think Nolans Batman would be a big hit in China. i mean Batman only made $52 million in China according to box office mojo.

Samuel001 wrote:
    Yes.
    It was quiet before that (Ice Age 4 weeks before only), but the week after there was also Expendables and Prometheus, and then it became quiet again for a few weeks...

Box office Mojo data about TDKR is outdated (look at the date), it will end with a few M$ more (55 in mid November already).
    There are plenty of great American directors who can do a Bond film. Heck I'm even in film school now and would love to do one in the future :)
  • More hints for China (18 November data) : without any competition when it was released (Twilight is a big no in China it seems, they're just releasing the previous one and it did less than 10M$..), The Bourne Legacy is doing at the moment 34M$ in 4weeks, with 2 M$ in it's 4th week. On the other hand, maybe this very very low Twilight score tell us what happen when piracy has time to happen at a very large scale ?! I haven't got a clue frankly.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I see this thread all the time, and will be honest, I'm more interested in the quality of release or finished product, or just go along and take in the experience, rather than how much money it can generate. Safe to say, this looks like being the biggest grossing Bond movie thus far though, but I'm not always overly interest in that. I won't get the cash, won't fill my pockets, or any of you, so I'd merely like to see a good film above all else I'm afraid

Great points @Baltimore, but it isn't just about the money it makes and nothing else. By how financially well off the film is, the greater hopes for future films are, and EON may take more risks or go further with any ideas they may have now that they have seen the majority reaction to Skyfall.